PDA

View Full Version : English Community Representative

-FN-
09-12-04, 20:33
Members of the German Community - how is RaTMaN doing? I see he is still actively posting (http://neocron.jafc.de/showthread.php?t=119882) and that's a good thing. I read these forums daily though, as do many others, and I haven't seen a post here by him in weeks. I've sent PMs with questions and get no response.

Just like before, I in no way intend any flame towards RaTMaN - in fact I'm very glad to see I was mistaken and he is indeed still here. But if he's busy with the German Comm, which is more than understandable because he *is* German, then why, oh why, isn't there an English Community Rep? RaTMaN sent several of us PMs about the Newbie Helper Project - but many of us never heard back on it.

Just wondering if this was still a twinkle of a possibility in NC2's eye for the English Community.

Capt. Rik
09-12-04, 20:43
Totally agree, i think a member from each major community would be extremely useful especially as i speak no german so cannot even browse through RatMan's threads.

QuantumDelta
09-12-04, 20:58
However the number of viable candidates for this position in the English/INT Community is rapidly decreasing.

Oh wait....wonder why.

MkVenner
09-12-04, 21:34
yeah i saw that coming, as did quite a few others, no insult intended to ratman, but you cant really expect him to offer the same quality of service to both the communities. One speakes his mother tongue and grew up around the same area-ish, and the other one comprises of the english dogs and the yankee bastards, not to mention the others we have in this orgy of a community :p. So instead of serving to sommunities sub-par, he defaults to serving one to the best of his abilities.

But then again, didnt KK say something like "We'll look into the need of other nationality community reps". Well either they're blind or were just palming us off...

aelfkins
09-12-04, 21:47
Oh wait....wonder why.

Ummm, cause basicaly all we are is a monthly check. To KK all the US is as an unloved welfare child.

athon
09-12-04, 22:12
Ummm, cause basicaly all we are is a monthly check. To KK all the US is as an unloved welfare child.
It's not just the US, it's the much close regions of England and non-German-speaking Europe too.

I move for this as well, but seeing as KK don't like their current player base, I doubt it's going to happen.

Athon Solo

Nidhogg
09-12-04, 22:38
Get over yourselves. :/ KK have just signed the biggest publishing deal they've ever had and are following the business plan set by their investors.

N

Jesterthegreat
09-12-04, 22:38
I'd like someone to represent the english peeps too... someones whos around alot would be nice

:edit: @ nid... doesnt explain why we get community translated announcements and a representative we rarely see...

im happy with the distribution (though US would be good... and out for christmas would be fantastic, but i realise rushing the launch would be bad :D) but that doesnt meaneverythings good all of a sudden

LTA
09-12-04, 22:46
Get over yourselves. :/ KK have just signed the biggest publishing deal they've ever had and are following the business plan set by their investors.

NI don't think thats the point of the thread the point is the English community are starting to feel under represented/ignored by kk as said no offence to ratman, if i was a full rep i would probably be mainly on the english boards and not on the others much since i have f'in clue what they sayin most of the time.
You've seen how happy people are when they hear from kk reps what does it hurt? 5 mins on their tea break to just say hi or something what they doin i dunno.

If you don't want more reps at least make like some kinda of sub reps who report from the diff language bases to ratman and can feed back or like a night on irc or something.

Atari etc is a seperate issue, something i hope will work and hope kicks kk into gear

athon
09-12-04, 23:02
I don't think thats the point of the thread the point is the English community are starting to feel under represented/ignored by kk as said no offence to ratman, if i was a full rep i would probably be mainly on the english boards and not on the others much since i have f'in clue what they sayin most of the time.
You've seen how happy people are when they hear from kk reps what does it hurt? 5 mins on their tea break to just say hi or something what they doin i dunno.

If you don't want more reps at least make like some kinda of sub reps who report from the diff language bases to ratman and can feed back or like a night on irc or something.

Atari etc is a seperate issue, something i hope will work and hope kicks kk into gear
So true. The fact that the community doesn't hear things, or only hears them after making lots of noise about issues, or by going to involved third parties (example: email recently posted by community member from paybycash) just adds to peoples disappointment of this game.

At the end of the day, even having a big name publisher isn't going to solve the problems caused by lack of communication from the developers.

Small example: This weeks patch. Personally, I would've thought that the fact that there wasn't going to be a patch this morning would've been known this morning. So how long (and how much money) does it take to post a little announcement:
Sorry guys, no patch today. This is due to some exploits we've been pointed at and we're working really hard to fix. Unfortunately we can't give an estimate when the patch will be completed.
The developers

5 minutes keeps the community a little more informed and a little happier. Instead the post ends up buried in a thread on one forum. Anyone who doesn't see that thread is still wondering "where's the content patch the developers were going to publish this week?"

5 minutes is all it took to make people feel a little more in the loop and help prevent threads like this one.

5 minutes to increase the number of coloured bars on the leave-ometers.

5 minutes to keep another few players paying for another month.

Athon Solo

RaTMaN McCruel
09-12-04, 23:17
just to make it short.

i gave up beeing a comrep or newbiehelper. KK is aware of this and i let them
find the right words.

Maybe someone other take over my jobs, maybe not...

Dont give up and keep on fighting...i just play the game as a pure normal
player again...and yes i still have fun playing it...

I think i can help this game more just beeing the crazycrahn i ever was

Your Ratman!

EDIT: I apologize to all who supported me wether with critism or or any other kind of support. I hope those who did can understand me...

Jesterthegreat
09-12-04, 23:34
kk... appoint someone... or let the people vote

-FN-
09-12-04, 23:35
Get over yourselves.

Ok. What exactly does that mean? How is my interest in the progress of something that, at one time, both the community AND the devs thought was a good idea?

The development team has reviewed the criticisms and suggestions from the community regarding communication with the developers and has decided to intensify incorporation of wishes, critique, suggestions and also direct involvement of players into the development process via a newly created channel. For this reason we created the position of Official Community Representative, which for the time being will be filled by one long-term player who possesses the necessary game experience, creativity and social competence to fill this demanding position.
The duty of the Official Community Representative is to establish contact with key members of the player community and act as an interface between them and the developers. The key members will be dedicated players who actively attempt to advance and enrich this diverse game, but also involve other players to boost the general game experience.

From the original community announcement (http://neocron.jafc.de/showthread.php?t=101222). This is a potentially positive position that, and I can't speak for the German Community, but the English Community never really felt the impact of. It is/was a great idea to promote the communication between KK and it's customerbase, but now with RaTMaN's latest post, it seems to have been ditched?

If KK is following the plan of it's investors, are those the non-technical, non-involved, don't-have-a-clue-about-gameplay people who are really pulling the strings and keeping things shady around here? Has a 10Tacel rep ever made their way to these forums?

I don't mean to come across as indignant Nid, but I really don't get what the correllation is between the deal closing (which does rock btw) and our interest in the game and it's path. Think about it - you mentioned 'investors' - what exactly are we with the months upon months of paid subcriptions - the free-turned-pay 'upgrade' of DoY every poster here has paid for? It's all just frustrating dude :(

Nidhogg
09-12-04, 23:42
Ok, let me explain. I absolutely agree that communication could be improved here on the forums. I try to share information that I'm allowed to share (and sometimes that I'm not ;) ) but things could be better. My comment was aimed at QD and the three posters after him who decided to de-rail your thread away from the subject of the community representative and onto the subject of "KK hates us".

N

P.S. There have been a couple of posts from 10T from what I can remember. :p

El_MUERkO
10-12-04, 00:31

N
LOL the cracks in Nidhogg are finally starting to show :D

Seriously though the Community rep initiative was seriously flawed from day one when KK completely ignored the English community.

And here’s a thought for Nidhogg and KK, when (if) these new players come into the game KK wont be standing at the gates of NC to welcome them, we will, the long suffering players of a community that routinely gets shafted.

So you might want to get a new rep sorted and start a dialog with us or the only people left to welcome the noobs into the game will be the PKers who'll kill them the minute they walk into plaza 1.

Nidhogg
10-12-04, 01:24
LOL the cracks in Nidhogg are finally starting to show :D
Rubbish! I've just had a refit! :p

N

naimex
10-12-04, 01:44
Rubbish! I've just had a refit! :p

N

you should have used a guy with more skill to fix you... :p

Ascension
10-12-04, 02:01
you should have used a guy with more skill to fix you... :p

ahh wot.. *Points at hair line crack* :p ah shit Naim I agree :eek:

QuantumDelta
10-12-04, 02:47
I was half joking, however it WOULD be nice for the INT Community to actually have representation.

Sorry Nid, but, You, Lupus, and a couple of other very dedicated helper/staff members just isn't cutting it anymore, Iorghe translated a recent announcement for us, and it looked like he did it on his own initiative, good on him but it makes the higher ups look like they don't care.

Especially since assigning a rep isn't even going to be that difficult.

Ask Mods who to pick that represents the community best at the moment on the forum and possibly connecting IRC Channels (ahem), make'em vote, bingo one productive representative.

Before anyone says it...because they did last time:
I can't take the position for several reasons.
FN is a better candidate if the community wants to go over the options again, better by far.

jernau
10-12-04, 04:33
the english dogs I believe we are "peeg dogs" actually ;)

@Nid - Doesn't it worry you a bit when people like QD make cheap digs at KK? That's far more my style than his :p and he didn't even pad his ego a little bit in that post - that has to tell you something is wrong.

who to pick that represents the community best at the moment
That may be unwise at some moments ;)

AlphaGremlin
10-12-04, 06:42
Another great thread, -FN-, with some good points raised.

I'd like to give Nid and Lupus and the guys who we see around here a big shake of the hand. They do a great job in a hostile community, and I for one think that if they could do more to help the communication, they would :)

I'd love to be a community rep, but with NeoSkiller, and admining my own chatroom and forum, I don't think I would have enough time!
AlphaGremlin

jini
10-12-04, 06:53
Indeed a nice thread by -fn-
But I ask: why do we needed a community rep at the first time?

deac
10-12-04, 10:52
Indeed a nice thread by -fn-
But I ask: why do we needed a community rep at the first time?

bingo!!

cant wait for my american import copy of wow to get here >.<

Dribble Joy
10-12-04, 12:17
Hmmmm....

If anyone was elected/chosen, I think they should get a seperate forum account and thier normal account/identity kept closed, I don't trust this community to; a) get it right or, b) accept the result.

As said, do we really need one?
What are they going to do? Really? When it comes down to it?
They will say exactly the same as the Devs/GMs/Mods say to us all the time, just more often.
Relay community feelings/ideas? KK don't listen to thier GM/Dev team if they don't like it/don't want to, why any different with the community?

I love NC and I am not leaving in the foreseeable future, but my inherant cinicism is creeping ever foreward.

Jesterthegreat
10-12-04, 21:36
Hmmmm....

If anyone was elected/chosen, I think they should get a seperate forum account and thier normal account/identity kept closed, I don't trust this community to; a) get it right or, b) accept the result.
agreed

As said, do we really need one?
What are they going to do? Really? When it comes down to it?
They will say exactly the same as the Devs/GMs/Mods say to us all the time, just more often.
Relay community feelings/ideas? KK don't listen to thier GM/Dev team if they don't like it/don't want to, why any different with the community?

I love NC and I am not leaving in the foreseeable future, but my inherant cinicism is creeping ever foreward.

i think the whole idea is a go-between. kk ignores most big threads here (some obviously abusive ones take 20+pages to close... nobby's thread, the exploit accusation thread) if there was someone they took priority replying to, he could see what the community wants to know. even if its solely a communication improvement its well worth it imo

MkVenner
10-12-04, 21:43
If anyone was elected/chosen, I think they should get a seperate forum account and thier normal account/identity kept closed, I don't trust this community to; a) get it right or, b) accept the result. Also agreed

Like Junkie said, there's alot of crap on these forums to wade through for the company to get to the stuff they have too see, or should see, some one who is mature enough to cut thorugh all that crap and give the hard hitting facts to KK could be a good idea....

jernau
11-12-04, 02:11
Also agreed

Like Junkie said, there's alot of crap on these forums to wade through for the company to get to the stuff they have too see, or should see, some one who is mature enough to cut thorugh all that crap and give the hard hitting facts to KK could be a good idea....

I don't know if it is but that could already be something the mods do.

Whether that is or would be a good solution I can't say.

Nidhogg
11-12-04, 02:32
I don't know if it is but that could already be something the mods do.

Whether that is or would be a good solution I can't say.
Funny you should say that. Hopefully I can say more early next week.

N

jernau
11-12-04, 02:46
Funny you should say that. Hopefully I can say more early next week.

N
OMG Nid, how many jobs can one man have at KK?

giga191
11-12-04, 03:06
I think that it's ironic that they the communications were so bad that we didn't even hear about the comrep quitting :p

KKommunication, anyone?

naimex
11-12-04, 04:09
OMG Nid, how many jobs can one man have at KK?

I think niddy is the single most efficient non paid KK community guy...

jernau
11-12-04, 11:58
I think niddy is the single most efficient non paid KK community guy...
Either that or there is more than one person hiding behind that account.