View Full Version : I wanna do some script writing - gimme ideas for NPCs!

Heavyporker
07-12-04, 19:14
I've gotten started on writing some scripts for NPCs... in the hopes of submitting them to KK for approval and patching in. I got started on this little personal project when the Apt Deco contest started up and I saw there was gonna be a choice of NPC. (sorry guys, but a bartender or secretary, however nice, is just too trite for me.)

I would like to hear ideas for some more NPCs I could try my hand out on.

Please, let's keep it more or less in the "RP" spirit - more in the Neocron mileu.

I've got some scripts done up for beggars (the "Corps in this town are cold and soulless" line is getting a bit... old.) and for some smugglers (right now... no text at all, nothing to even fool the cops. Dear Crahn, KK, why the hell call them in BIG BOLD GREEN LETTERS "SMUGGLER - COME AND GANK ME COPS!" if they're supposed to be shifty?!)

Thanks for your help, people, with any hope, Neocron (and of course, the Dome and villages) will be greatly enriched by a larger "apparent" population that you can interact with.

-FN-
07-12-04, 19:21
I tried to do this and got nowhere :( if you get somewhere - lemme know, this is the kind of thing I've been dying to do forever - Content Addition!

Heavyporker
07-12-04, 20:15
Yeah... think the problem is that you have to actually program the scripts into a form/file that makes it easier on the guys to put it ingame.

Doesn't help that in many cases, the script HAS to go branch out - like where you have 2, 3, 4 dialogue options and THESE have multiple options themselves too.

Yikes!

capt-o
07-12-04, 20:37
Have the runner go to places that people normally don't go because there's no power leveling. Gaia mines, Regent Legacy, and various places (villages) in the wasteland.

The NPC in V2 does a good job of this except he denies you've done the work. Seems broken or the script isn't descriptive enough.

Old timers that talk about the way the factions used to be set up (IE biotech and tangent were enemies). Old timers in general would be amusing. Use of the old looking monk models would help this.

Xeno LARD
08-12-04, 00:41
Yeah... think the problem is that you have to actually program the scripts into a form/file that makes it easier on the guys to put it ingame.

Doesn't help that in many cases, the script HAS to go branch out - like where you have 2, 3, 4 dialogue options and THESE have multiple options themselves too.

Yikes!

I used to code "Legend of Mir" server back in the 1.4 days. NPC's were a piece of piss. I'll write some if someone shows us the syntax of the npc things.

MrChumble
08-12-04, 00:50
I'd love to write NPC scripts, even small quests. My guess is releasing the format for the scripts would be vulnerable to exploiting, but there's plenty ways around that if KK want more player input. We're the big untapped resource, could you imagine how far HL would have got with no modding allowed O_o

Ascension
08-12-04, 00:56
Would be nice to create small scripts for the random npc's dotted about.. instead of the damned annoying "I want to have Reza's babies"

although when the male NPC's say it it can be pretty funny.. Most of the time thought they tell me to fuck off :( Im really offended.. :p

Riddle
08-12-04, 14:46
How about this :-

Epic Epic Epic quest you need to visit like 75% of NPC's in game.

Each giving you either direction to your next NPC or a little mission to do.

Should take like 6 Months to complete :)

And the epic epic epic reward??............

The dam location of that CAVE that holds the EXCALIBUR!!!! :lol:

borl
08-12-04, 17:01
I've written quite a few for the sake of entertainment, if you have any problems I might be able to help.

As for ideas though, I'm not in a very inspired mood at the moment :p

Dribble Joy
08-12-04, 19:41
The NPC script code is bound by the NDA the GMs and KK are under (for various reasons), as I found out when I wanted to do scripting and asked for the manual.
Unless they release it to the public, no scripting for you, and I doubt most GMs would want to go through the footwork of translating it.

Hell-demon
08-12-04, 20:32
How about making a pimp npc. You pay him a certain ammount of creds and you get a business card. Take this to your app and stripper/whore is spawned for your app. No?

Im gonna get some sleep.... 8|

Heavyporker
30-12-04, 19:21
Okay. There's been some progress on the scripts. They seem to be working well ingame.

Guys, this is your time to really shine.

Scripts - keep it simple, guys - dialogue for street citizens or short missions like handing off illegal packages or "find the bastard" things.

I know it's not far removed from what we have ingame, but scripts can get a bit wonky if you get complex with them, and certain things, like Jake's business-card-for-a-stripper thing, just doesn't seem realistically possible.

Once we get the ball rolling, it's POSSIBLE we can have new abilities.

Oh, and guys, sorry for not getting back as soon as I should have. I'll be ingame all day, and doing little mini-events for the folks. ^ ^

Morganth
30-12-04, 19:27
I used to code "Legend of Mir" server back in the 1.4 days. NPC's were a piece of piss. I'll write some if someone shows us the syntax of the npc things.

Sad thing is Mir 3 is still going now. I remember the days of the "Easter Event" and the Korean hackers :lol:

Dribble Joy
30-12-04, 21:10
All a bit fishy.

Read my PM porker....

Heavyporker
30-12-04, 22:50
Nothing was given directly to me.

We merely write dialogue or small general script actions down, it is translated over.

Spoon
30-12-04, 22:53
bind "F1" "buy usp; buy vesthelm; buy secammo"
bind "F2" "buy m4a1; buy ak47; buy vesthelm; buy primammo"
bind "F3" "buy aug; buy sg552; buy vesthelm; buy primammo"
bind "F4" "buy P90; buy vesthelm; buy primammo"
bind "F5" "buy mp5navy; buy vesthelm; buy primammo"
bind "del" "buy hegrenade"
bind "end" "buy flashbang"
bind "pgdn" "buy smokegrenade"
bind "pgup" "buy defuser"
bind "home" "buy flashbang; buy flashbang; buy hegrenade; buy smokegrenade"
bind "ins" "buy galil; buy famas; buy primammo; buy vesthelm"
bind "kp_end" "buy deagle; buy secammo; buy vesthelm"
bind "kp_downarrow" "buy mac10; buy primammo; buy hegrenade; buy vesthelm"
bind "kp_uparrow" "buy secammo"
bind "kp_pgup" "buy primammo"
fps_max "120.0"
net_graph "3"
cl_cmdrate "100"
cl_updaterate "60"
rate "20000"

Name it autoexec.cfg and put it in the proper directory....

Heavyporker
30-12-04, 23:34
Neocron NPC scripts only, please.

Hell-demon
30-12-04, 23:43
How about a warbot that hurls abuse at you :D