PDA

View Full Version : It's official. There is no volcano !!!

Bugs Gunny
07-12-04, 13:36
And you think CA lies to their citizens?

How about the TG citizens who were lead to believe there was a big volcano near them.

Yesterday i've tried to fly above it.
Guess what, it has no map. All that happened is the vehicle disappeared, and we had to walk, yes walk home.

How embarassing is that for an int capped pilot?

darkservent
07-12-04, 13:43
Oh my god wot is wid j00. I think mr dil face should come and smack u wid a Fish flabber dildo.

MkVenner
07-12-04, 13:48
what the FUCK

Bugs Gunny
07-12-04, 13:51
Lay off the mushrooms mate ;-)

What i mean is if KK decides to make flying vehicles they need to fix the "holes" in the map. Since with a bomber you wnat to fly straight from point a to point b, without flying around the "bugs" in the map.

Time for a mapupdate.

MkVenner
07-12-04, 13:57
yeah i know, i always thought there might be some cool mobs up there but i guess not...

any one tried fly out to sea? I wonder if it does the same thing out there....hope not, i want islands :p

Bugs Gunny
07-12-04, 14:00
Back in the NC1 forums there was a guy that SWAM all the seas to see if there were islands. There was none.

darkservent
07-12-04, 14:03
yeah i know, i always thought there might be some cool mobs up there but i guess not...

any one tried fly out to sea? I wonder if it does the same thing out there....hope not, i want islands :p

If u fly to far out on sea u go BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM

Siygess
07-12-04, 14:03
Heh, yeah, it's one of the side-effects of map optimisation. You apply a null texture to everything that wont be visible to the players.. I guess they didnt get around to patching up all the maps now that we can see those previously non-visible parts of tha map.

MkVenner
07-12-04, 14:04
there was some guy who swears he crashed and log back on on some island, AGES ago, said it was about the size of 1 sector with a hut on it, but i reckoned it was just the hut sw of McPhearsons...

Shadowbreed
07-12-04, 15:03
Yea i know there's no volcano, already posted it about 2 weeks ago :P

Xeno LARD
07-12-04, 16:20
there was some guy who swears he crashed and log back on on some island, AGES ago, said it was about the size of 1 sector with a hut on it, but i reckoned it was just the hut sw of McPhearsons...

And I suppose his F12 key was broke?

Original monk
07-12-04, 16:28
Lay off the mushrooms mate ;-)

i told em it wasnt a smart idea to start mixing coppelandia with semilanceata, BUT NOOO

thats what ya get if ya ignore good advice :)

amfest
07-12-04, 16:36
Back in the NC1 forums there was a guy that SWAM all the seas to see if there were islands. There was none.
I thought there was one special place that did have an area that you can stand on. I don't know if you'd call it an island but I recall a few people mentinoning on the forums.

Dribble Joy
07-12-04, 16:36
One of the best things to do with someone on shrooms or acid is to stare at a point about a foot to one side of thier head, they will try to get into eye contact, but you just keep moving, you can have hours of fun with that.

MkVenner
07-12-04, 16:45
And I suppose his F12 key was broke?
no but the problem is, no matter which way you stand, due to only a 180 degree-ish field of vision it could just be 4 screenshots of various coast

giga191
08-12-04, 00:53
theres sharks out at sea. anyone seen the secret ship where u get the item on it since NC2 started? i wonder if the took it out

MkVenner
08-12-04, 01:07
o_O

you for real?

naimex
08-12-04, 01:11
o_O

you for real?

would be way cool, but somehow i just dont believe it.

sharks and ships > crummy volcanos and invisible walls

jernau
08-12-04, 01:39
He later admited it was BS. Just like the sewer shark and other similar nonsense.

MkVenner
08-12-04, 02:10
ah, thought as much :p

itd be SO sweet if there was like an oil tanker out there, top deck and stuff all deserted, with a zone sync hatch in side the hull, with some cool mobs, and clues to what happened to the crew, as for that how about a coupla boats, just say a motor launch and a vietnam era style PBR

then again how long have we wanted islands and boats and new mobs, not old ones recycled...having said that we could be looking at a world theme week, new areas tieing into story line...thatd rock

Obsidian X
08-12-04, 02:17
...having said that we could be looking at a world theme week, new areas tieing into story line...thatd rock

Open Regants Legacy™ </pushing of own agenda>

Seriously though, a world theme week would be great, opening up the closed areas, tweaking dull ones and adding new content to the world map. That would be fantastic!

wombat74
08-12-04, 02:17
itd be SO sweet if there was like an oil tanker out there, top deck and stuff all deserted, with a zone sync hatch in side the hull, with some cool mobs, and clues to what happened to the crew, as for that how about a coupla boats, just say a motor launch and a vietnam era style PBR

Yeah! And the tanker can have a family of Anarchy Breed living on it... and they can ride Jetskis! And we can have Kevin Costner, and he can save some people who live out there, and bring them to the last remaining dry land on the planet!!

Oh wait, that was Waterworld... never mind...

MkVenner
08-12-04, 02:26
hell even a sunken ship you have to swim down to would be cool lol

naimex
08-12-04, 14:58
ah, thought as much :p

then again how long have we wanted islands and boats and new mobs, not old ones recycled...having said that we could be looking at a world theme week, new areas tieing into story line...thatd rock

Waterworld ?

borl
08-12-04, 17:14
There should be a few new zones/areas added with each patch really. I'm confident that with the level of map design throughout most of the world (sewers/caves and apartments especially) I could knock up 3 or 4 new areas a day... The only problem would be the filesize of the .bsps. For example, the drone racetrack is 1.33mb http://neocron.jafc.de/images/smilies/old/shocked.gif

Anyway, there's really no excuse for there *not* being some offshore areas. The easiest that comes to mind would be a flooded village, perhaps with a single npc standing on top of his roof asking for help :)

berty
08-12-04, 17:42
they still havent fixed the doy to plaza 1 warp problems - what makes you think that any other new locations wont be borked within 2 mins of the download?

PSIASSASIN
08-12-04, 18:44
SSSSAAADDD...... :( i wanted to see a giant volcano

i made it to tg valley an then got jumped by 3 or 4 tg members, not to mention the million fire mobs shootin me :(

Capt. Rik
08-12-04, 18:59
Open Regants Legacy™ </pushing of own agenda>

Seriously though, a world theme week would be great, opening up the closed areas, tweaking dull ones and adding new content to the world map. That would be fantastic!

I'd love to see Regents Legacy opened as some type of castle thing...
The screenshots are Regents Legacy a couple of months before the end of NC1

borl
08-12-04, 19:12
they still havent fixed the doy to plaza 1 warp problems - what makes you think that any other new locations wont be borked within 2 mins of the download?
People who fix warping problems != People who make new maps.

jernau
08-12-04, 19:20
People who fix warping problems != People who make new maps.That depends what type of warping problems.

Xian
08-12-04, 19:23
That depends what type of warping problems.

Take your pick. ;)

Miss Naughty
08-12-04, 19:31
I'd be happy if Regents was opened up and just filled with Regent Mutants.

On a different note, what is in the caves within TG canyon? Are they still populated with big crabs and iguanas? They would make ideal high level dungeons (with some new mobs maybe?).

Oh and another thing (slightly off topic) - why are there so many lvl 1 sewers / side streets / storage areas in DoY? Noobs don't even bother with them anyway.

borl
08-12-04, 19:44
That depends what type of warping problems.
[ramble]
Aside from incorrectly set up GRs, I can't think of a single "warping" problem that could be the sole fault of a map designer (within reason, eg placing millions of high poly models all over the place). Unless you'd count sitting in a badly placed chair as a "warping" problem, I guess that could apply. Oh, and incorrect properties set on a model used for warping, eg. a sewer entrance. Hmm, I can actually think of quite a few, none that really apply to the OP though. Should have said "map architecture design" in the first place.

I was about to close the [ramble] tag, I think I'll leave it open for my future posts though http://neocron.jafc.de/images/smilies/old//lol.gif

MkVenner
08-12-04, 19:53
alright then, NOT an oil tanker, a giant freighter, or a Air Craft Carrier, oil tanker was just an idea.... :p

jernau
08-12-04, 20:20
[ramble]
Aside from incorrectly set up GRs, I can't think of a single "warping" problem that could be the sole fault of a map designer (within reason, eg placing millions of high poly models all over the place). Unless you'd count sitting in a badly placed chair as a "warping" problem, I guess that could apply. Oh, and incorrect properties set on a model used for warping, eg. a sewer entrance. Hmm, I can actually think of quite a few, none that really apply to the OP though. Should have said "map architecture design" in the first place.

I was about to close the [ramble] tag, I think I'll leave it open for my future posts though http://neocron.jafc.de/images/smilies/old//lol.gifThe DOY->Plaza problem(s) usually involve zoning in or out of certain places as opposed to the normal warping we all know and love which can happen anywhere and any time. The maps presumably contain the references for where doors and such like lead to and I would guess (as I am not a KK employee and can't know) that the problem is in the map as it would be crazy to hardcode map data into the main application.

@MkV - If it means I can res-kill that awful Costner man I'm all for an Oil Tanker.

borl
08-12-04, 23:24
The DOY->Plaza problem(s) usually involve zoning in or out of certain places as opposed to the normal warping we all know and love which can happen anywhere and any time. The maps presumably contain the references for where doors and such like lead to and I would guess (as I am not a KK employee and can't know) that the problem is in the map as it would be crazy to hardcode map data into the main application.

Well, I've never had the DoY to Plaza warping issue myself, but it's far more likely for it to arise as a zoning code mistake than a mapping one. Since the problem isn't readily reproducible, (and if it were a map issue, it would happen every time someone zoned from A to B as the zone-to-zone route data would be static, and trivial to check) it makes far more sense to assume a net/zone code bug. I've heard it could also be caused by the server mixing up two characters on the same account's location, although, like I said earlier, it's never happened to me. Anyway, without more details on the issue it's impossible to make a more accurate "guess".

jernau
08-12-04, 23:59
Why would the zoning code be replicated? If it isn't then the same code is used for all zone changes and you couldn't have location-specific problems - which we do.

In Beta there were a lot of mapping errors in DoY and for some reason they all seemed to warp people into Plaza [insert bad table theory here]. Many of them were caught and fixed but it seems some were either missed or have somehow reappeared as so many other bugs have in the past.

It's all theory of course and neither of us know for sure (and neither do KK it seems). My point is that if the problem is location-based I'd start by checking the locations.

borl
09-12-04, 01:56
Why would the zoning code be replicated? If it isn't then the same code is used for all zone changes and you couldn't have location-specific problems - which we do.
The reason this is not, and cannot be purely a mapping problem is pretty simple... If, for example, the north exit from DoY sector 01 was incorrectly configured on the server to place a player into Plaza 1, instead of the south entrance to DoY02, every player who attempted to zone from DoY01 to DoY02 would be sent to P1, (as the configuration for this specific zoning area is static within the maps datafile, ie it will never suddenly decide that DoY01 -> P1 for a single unlucky player, and then revert back to normal for any other player) which clearly isn't the case with these issues. Plus, I think we can credit KK with enough competence to check that each maps accompanying datafile has the correct pointers between zone lines (not that they'd need to in this case), but it's a lot harder to check that for every zoning request made by a client, that the server is placing them in the area specified within the map, and not mixing one client up with another in some way. I'll stop here before I go into too detailed "guesswork".

Seems to me that this problem is similar to the old 2 people zoning into 1 person's apartment bug. One person is zoning from say P1 to P3, another from P3 to their apt, both players get placed into person 2s apt.

jernau
09-12-04, 15:52
You are making far more assumptions about how KK build their levels than I would. Considering some of the things I've seen in the past I think you may be drawing on experience in other games that don't seem to apply here.

Personally I would never rule out the most obvious source of a bug without checking it. Thats a great way to waste time.

Thinking it over there is another possibility but it involves more guesswork than I'm happy with.

wrt : " credit KK with enough competence to check that each maps accompanying datafile has the correct pointers between zone lines" I would remind you of the number of mapping disasters we've all come to live with that suggest that may be a tad generous ;).

Dribble Joy
09-12-04, 15:57
I want an oil tanker, and I want AB on jetskis around it and I want a lvl120 AB in the control room.

borl
09-12-04, 15:58
You are making far more assumptions about how KK build their levels *snip*
I'm probably making less assumptions than you think, but I think I'll leave it here. Some interesting thoughts anyway.

"credit KK with enough competence to check that each maps accompanying datafile has the correct pointers between zone lines" I would remind you of the number of mapping disasters we've all come to live with that suggest that may be a tad generous ;).
Yes, I regretted that little gem when I proof read my post http://neocron.jafc.de/images/smilies/old/rolleyes.gif http://neocron.jafc.de/images/smilies/old//lol.gif

Nasher
11-12-04, 03:47
Hmm, we posted about this in DOY beta, you can fly over the TG entrance and see how theres no canyon from the outside, aswell as fly off the edge of the world where the volcano should be O_o

jernau
11-12-04, 03:56
You've also always been able to walk over the top of Neocron (a little bit of it anyway) and there's nothing there either.

Gunner_turret
11-12-04, 05:40
You've also always been able to walk over the top of Neocron (a little bit of it anyway) and there's nothing there either.
Yeah i got my hover up there, its just flat terrain, and the you hit an invisible wall, and then you can zone while still on top, AND then you can kill things with your sniper, people etc,

I also got on top of DoY, theres an NPC lol, selling rifles & pistols, again, its mostly flat terrain, i got up there by a crazy sync bug...