PDA

View Full Version : About that RPOS Update...

-FN-
07-12-04, 00:24
We will implant a different version for the in-game R.P.O.S. It will be more simplistic and basically just replace the most important graphics. The point is, that we where busy implanting it when we started the theme weeks. Now the droners are totally in the focus. So they will get an HUD enhancement first :p . But be sure we will finalize and activate the alternative R.P.O.S. asap and than you will be able to choose a version in the options menu. :)From: http://neocron.jafc.de/showthread.php?t=117946

I was going through old screenshots today and when I saw the old RPOS - my heart skipped a beat. I've gotten used to the new RPOS and it's alright. It's oddities lead me to move windows every so often when I inteded on moving something out of it or vice versa. But even though I'm used to is, I realized I still really love and miss the simplicity of the OLD RPOS :( The square boxes, definitite ends, easy organization when the RPOS is up *sigh* I attached an image from NC1's RPOS - what are you instinctive reactions to it?

Any status update available on this RPOS Update Mr. Nathrath? :)

Brammers
07-12-04, 00:29
Thats the NL-Pro version of the HUD. :confused:

When I first saw the new NC1 NL-Pro HUD I though I was playing Neocron 2.

The two big things I dont like about the new NC2 HUD is the ALL CAPS on everything and the small boxes. How many times does it take to click in the money box in the transfer window?

[Edit] One thing that has to be said, is KK can design good HUD's - just look at the new drone HUD.

tiikeri
07-12-04, 00:46
<3 the new droner hud.

MkVenner
07-12-04, 00:55
i didnt really like the actual NC 1 RPOS, and im not a big fan of the new one. i did like the NL Pro RPOS lol. And ive never been able to get my colour scheme right since...

-FN-
07-12-04, 01:11
Heh, yeah, I suppose that is the NLPro Hud :rolleyes: I liked most of that HUD over the NC1 Hud - but the point remains that at first reaction, I like them both over the NC2 Hud :(

Ascension
07-12-04, 02:01
[Edit] One thing that has to be said, is KK can design good HUD's - just look at the new drone HUD.

Thing is Bram.. KK didnt design the Drone HUD.. a member of the community did ;)

jernau
07-12-04, 02:20
Every time I see the old HUD I want to throttle someone at KK for replacing it. The new one hasn't grown on me at all (as some people said it would), I hate it more now than I did when it was a "Sneak Peek".

Brammers
07-12-04, 03:34
Thing is Bram.. KK didnt design the Drone HUD.. a member of the community did ;)

I stand corrected. :)

Something tells me a HUD theme week is coming.

LTA
07-12-04, 04:59
heh was sayin this tonight to someone i was speakin to, don't get me wrong i like the new hud but for me its to big n bulky and just gets in the way i liked the old and thought best part of the new one was the info bit at the bottom right.

Just think there should be a version with thinner window outlines n stuff

Seven
07-12-04, 06:21
I'm still not used to it and still hate the damn thing. :D

Xeno LARD
07-12-04, 16:23
I like it more then I did at the start. I'd still prefer NC1's though. Not NLP, just the normal one. I loved that :D.

Dribble Joy
07-12-04, 16:30
Iorghe (afaik) said that they were making a feature where you could select a number of RPOS types.

amfest
07-12-04, 16:33
Actually the initial Design was ... and there were some slight changes to it made by KK but yea .. essentially the overall look was made by a community member.

Cruzbroker
07-12-04, 17:45
Could we get a minimalistic hud? armor and implants on the same window, THIN borders and CLEAR buttons.

I hate the new hud, if the button colors were a bit different it would be much better and clearlier..

Agent L
07-12-04, 20:47
(...)I dont like about the new NC2 HUD is the ALL CAPS on everything.

[ edited ]
Of course, it comes at a price, look at hlt indicator. But it may be effect of large fonts on my computer.
Ah, it enables you to see ppl names case, too.

Seven
08-12-04, 00:37
Can we change that?
Or is that a bannable change?

-FN-
08-12-04, 00:41
I don't know but my God, aside from the health bar area and cash - that is SO much nicer on the eyes.

Agent L
08-12-04, 17:59
Or is that a bannable change?
Possibly. Now I can tell diffrence between NC travel 8 and 9, and I can tell which weaponpart is 9 and which is 8 without opening details window. I can adress ppl by their real name including case, like MeGaMaN or Megaman.
That's "unfair advantage over other players" and "obtaining information that had been inentionally witheld" I believe.

Nidhogg
08-12-04, 18:23
Altering any part of the client other than the usual INI files is a breach of the Rules of Conduct and as such can get you into trouble - including deleting that font file.

The new HUD uses Arial so please wait for that.

N

LTA
08-12-04, 18:25
Altering any part of the client other than the usual INI files is a breach of the Rules of Conduct and as such can get you into trouble - including deleting that font file.

N
Banned for alterin the font of text....

I don't get how in anyway thats bad, i personally find the new text hard to read, some things look like other things, on parts i get a lot of problems with certain numbers and letters lookin similar.

change the text to Comic Sans ms H4X he has a comic style writing, i just get whats up with it O_o

-FN-
08-12-04, 19:38

So many MMORPG's use Arial - why not Verdana, Tahoma, or Trebuchet? :D Pleeeeeeeease add one of those as an option. The new RPOS would look incredibly sleek with any one of those - try it, you'll see ;)

retr0n
08-12-04, 19:54

N

Why Arial?
Use Verdana, It was specifically designed for Monitors. And also looks much
better then Arial.

Nidhogg
08-12-04, 19:58
It's Arial. Deal with it. :p

N

Dr Strange
08-12-04, 20:00
So many MMORPG's use Arial - why not Verdana, Tahoma, or Trebuchet? :D Pleeeeeeeease add one of those as an option. The new RPOS would look incredibly sleek with any one of those - try it, you'll see ;)

Until we see proof of a new HUD/GUI, you'll never see such opitions.

I mean honestly, the *most* we can do is edit colors in a single ini file. As much as I love NC2, that has got to be the most retarded policy any company has put into effect.

Look at the current HUD/GUI setup. For people who play on small resolutions either by choice or forced too, there is just too "much" of each HUD there. Hit Tab to bring up the RPOs and the top bar goes half way off the screen (640), or all the bottom huds (belt, body, chat) get all squsihed together. Forget trying to locate the ? button to put in a Help Ticket, it's just not possible. Hell I've got to play at 800x600 just to be able to get all the RPO bar(s) to fit, and even then I have to play the magical game of dance around the GUI with my cursor trying to highlight the almost-off-screen ? button.

I realize they don't want HUD hacks or advantages given but at least show some support and sympathy towards those that run at small resolutions. I know you're thinking "well if you have to play at that small a size you probably shouldn't be playing". Put it this way, i can play at 640, and I can play at 800 (my prefered one) fine, but you do have to admit on some systems you can see a hefty increase in frames per second and a decrease in graphical lag.

SigmaDraconis
08-12-04, 20:01
no, I'd deal with Tahoma better :P my favourite of basic fonts. Really just getting ANY FONT that isnt all capital characters would be a huge improvement.

Nidhogg
08-12-04, 20:08
no, I'd deal with Tahoma better :P my favourite of basic fonts.
Refer to my earlier post regarding dealing with it.

Really just getting ANY FONT that isnt all capital characters would be a huge improvement.
Ah, I see you already did. :p

N

Serpent
08-12-04, 20:11
please, let us change the HUD to the old, especially the FONTS ! i really dislike the NEW fonts !

El_MUERkO
09-12-04, 00:15
THe NLPro hud rox'd so hard, in fact all of NL Pro rox'd its a big pity KK banned player mods (notices Blizzard actively encourage HUD mods).

Where is Brammers by the way, did he leave?

MkVenner
09-12-04, 00:18
nah brammers is still around, the window is open for NLpro, he'd just have to get an ok from kk, NNL got the ok, but iirc the was real life stuff stopping him from doing it as well

Doc Holliday
09-12-04, 00:25
nah brammers is still around, the window is open for NLpro, he'd just have to get an ok from kk, NNL got the ok, but iirc the was real life stuff stopping him from doing it as well

if u mean the guy who made the original nl pro his name is bram not brammers ;)

El_MUERkO
09-12-04, 00:35
Wasnt Brammers one of BramTops runners or am I confusing the two?

MkVenner
09-12-04, 00:40
if u mean the guy who made the original nl pro his name is bram not brammers ;)
curse my east london grasp of grammer

thats 1st comma should be a full stop, two different things lol

wombat74
09-12-04, 00:52
curse my east london grasp of grammer

thats 1st comma should be a full stop, two different things lol

Flippin' 'ell, it's all gone pear-shaped gov, y'knowwhatImean?

-FN-
09-12-04, 01:01
If it's Arial, it's Arial *sigh* Just a few last comments tho:

- In screenshots I've seen with the removed rpos.ttf - there's a lot of Case-Issues that hopefully will be tended to (e.g. the F5 Window in Arial)

- The RPOS in Arial, Character Names, Damage Markers - it looks like screenshots from the old EQ, which I never played, but Arial is just very generic. Because of the generic feel, NC2 seems to lose some of it's uniqueness, not in design, but in feel.

- Verdana is designed for digital use and is still a bit 'blocky', while retaining the property of different cases. It's a shame that the case problem could be solved in a more stylish way but won't be.

*shrug* Can't wait to see the new RPOS options.

Seven
09-12-04, 04:42
What's so hard about using Verdana that they won't? :confused:

Omnituens
09-12-04, 04:49
Windings, Bitch!

Agent L
09-12-04, 12:54
IMHO for all texts entered by players (names, chat, clan tags) a fixed pitch font should be used. Yes, it's more ugly, but fixed pitch magically removes all misreading issues, like hidden dots, dashes, ets. You can even count spaces in such font.
(Times New Roman is a fixed pitch if anyone wants to see how it looks like. For those who doesn't know what "fixed pitch" means, it's about all characters having same width. Not matter is it I or M or even space or dot, it'll always occupy same area. Like on typewriter)

Cruzbroker
09-12-04, 17:21
Anyone tried simply replacing rpos.ttf with *somefont*.ttf?

jernau
09-12-04, 17:25
Anyone tried simply replacing rpos.ttf with *somefont*.ttf?If it uses Arial by default then renaming your Windows fonts after removing the NC ttf might be better in terms of modifications to the game ;). Then again Nid has already made it clear that even deleting the ttf is illegal O_o .

-FN-
09-12-04, 19:59
My guess is it won't work since they seem to use TrueType fonts and Verdana, as well as many other Windows Fonts now are OpenType (TT v2). The engine probably doesn't even know how to use an OT font.

jernau
09-12-04, 21:01
Wouldn't that mean NC includes the ttf Arial font somewhere?

Is that allowed without paying a license?

-FN-
09-12-04, 23:41
It's in the /fonts directory:

ARIAL.TTF
ARIALBD.TTF
ARIALK.TTF

But now that I look at them, they'e all OpenType as well *shrug* There won't be font substitution, we should get get over it *sigh*

Agent L
11-12-04, 12:13
Most font-using functions are part of Windows and I can't even imagine why someone would try to pixelize .ttf manually. Open Type is a superset on TrueType, and handling is transparent to application, I mean there is no difference if you're using TT or OT.
[ edited ]

Ascension
11-12-04, 13:35
I tried in back in Open Beta renaming arial.ttf with something different, it still looked like arial :(

liekki
26-12-04, 05:40
Anyone tried simply replacing rpos.ttf with *somefont*.ttf?

Actually I did try it. I just today got an NC2 account and dislike the new RPOS with the new fonts very much. Therefore I tried to replace rpos.ttf with verdana
but naming it as rpos.ttf of course. But didn't work 'cause I think NC2 checks for the filesize of the font or somehow else works with the original font only.

In my opinion the policy that disallows users to modify the RPOS blows. I've never seen any other MMORPG doing that.

Can't wait to see the new RPOS options. Tbh I hate the new RPOS and would change it back to the old NLPro RPOS (By Dazist) if I only had a chance.