PDA

View Full Version : PPU or APU

dark_reaper
05-12-04, 10:01
Well sence my other character got screwed what should I be, A PPU or a APU? hmm. What is the benefits of a APU and a PPU? hmm.

NeoDriver
05-12-04, 10:05
Well sence my other character got screwed what should I be, A PPU or a APU? hmm. What is the benefits of a APU and a PPU? hmm.

With an APU you have loads of attack power but you have limited defences. PSI wise.

With a PPU you have limited attack power. PSI wise. But loads of defences.

I made a PPU once and got it quite high. But there are very hard to level. What happened is i levelled my PPU to about 50 PSI and then lommed him to APU. After i got to about 90 PSI i lommed back to PPU. That way you get to see wich one you prefer and then if its PPU you stay if its APU you lom

NeoDriver

sultana
05-12-04, 11:39
Join a clan (if your not already in one) and see what they have to say, as in, what they need. A thing about playing a ppu or apu is, ppu's are alot harder to play on, especially if you have a large team to ppu. Just one person is alright, though any more than that and you'll be "sweating" abit.

That's talking pvp, pvm is piss easy on both :)

[KoS]Brad
05-12-04, 12:17
Be a Hybrid, unless they have nerfed them, or atleast level for some PPU and become an APU, they are way stronger tbh, you can easily own people. But yeh on the other hand if your a GOOD PPU, you won't got owned...

Serpent
05-12-04, 12:49
1. delete your monk

2. start a tank/spy/pe

3.love the class and hate the monk

4. have fun

j/k

i would be a hybrid, a holy lightning one...

superfresh
05-12-04, 13:00
PPU.

It's much more interesting to have a variety of responsibilities, IMO, than to have the ol' HL, no reticule, and cast at the rate of a speed gat.

Plus I think PPU's have the grace that casters traditionally have had in RPG's. Made a hybrid but can only imagine how boring a pure APU must be. Look at most capped APU's quickbelts. It's like one spell and an assload of boosters.

Was wondering if APUs might not be cooler if their ROF was cut in half and damage increased. So at least casting a relatively monumental spell would appear to have more meaning/effort.

But I've never had an APU.

PPU's are also everyone's best friend. Well except your enemy's. ;)

sanityislost
05-12-04, 16:54
Its a hard choice both are really cool, but Apu is my fav class even if just about everyone hates them lol

SiL ..:..

Spermy
05-12-04, 17:07
I rolled a hybrid.

Kinda hard to use - I wanna gun the APU - but still want the PPU goodness - hard to balance.

I realised I like PPU, and also People are well irritating to PPU for vs monsters. on account of they move around like big idiots and scream at you for not buffing them.

Which is realy annoying.

I mean PvP sure - but PvM the only moves you need are range and cover to get rebuffed. not dance around like frikkin fred astair!

dark_reaper
05-12-04, 18:33
I wanter to be a Hybrid, but I think they nerfed them again. Ive always been a Tank or a spy. It is time to try something different.

SigmaDraconis
05-12-04, 18:36
APU is generally easier to play, PPU is alot of fun if you get good at it tho, my suggestion would be to level as APU for awhile, LoM hybrid when you get to holy levels, fionish capping, and from there either continue setting up for hybrid, LoM back to APU, or LoM to PPU depending on how your experience with it was :D

Tostino
05-12-04, 22:18
I wanter to be a Hybrid, but I think they nerfed them again. Ive always been a Tank or a spy. It is time to try something different.
Well if you think the holy buff / holy lightning hybrid was balanced then yes they are very nerfed :rolleyes:. But you can make a hybrid that can use HL and use haz 1 and DB (dont make a psi atack 2 hybrid. I hate fighting them...)

Speedball
05-12-04, 22:32
tank....

O_o

Cruzbroker
06-12-04, 01:42
Less PPUs the better.

Spoon
06-12-04, 05:52
Pure APU....

Now go kill some shit...

Alot of it....

Spermy
06-12-04, 11:39
I have to say - I love the monk - but the second anyone sees me use shelter they scream at me to PPU. Which winds me up. I'm not a public buff machine - I want to go earn some F**king money for my spells - If I don't get XP with you - I want paying for the time I've just wasted.

AND PEOPLE STILL DANCE AROUND!

Heh, You can tell who has PPUs, because they actually stand still for you :)

ArgieD
06-12-04, 12:49
Spermy I love you in this forum; I really enjoy your posts and bet you are a cool chap in RL, but I wish I could ever meet you in-game and try to Pkill you...

Reasons:

-) I dislike PPUs as a class

-) You're a tight badass mofo (yoyoyo) demanding to get paid for something that costs you NOTHING :p

Omnituens
06-12-04, 12:53
Neither. Or Both.

Spermy
06-12-04, 15:10
Spermy I love you in this forum; I really enjoy your posts and bet you are a cool chap in RL, but I wish I could ever meet you in-game and try to Pkill you...

Reasons:

-) I dislike PPUs as a class

-) You're a tight badass mofo (yoyoyo) demanding to get paid for something that costs you NOTHING :p

*Beats Argie viciously with previous statement*

jernau
06-12-04, 15:46
You can tell who has PPUs, because they actually stand still for you :)So true.

OTOH most people do tend to get the message if you just don't heal them for a few mins.

Spermy
06-12-04, 16:05
So true.

OTOH most people do tend to get the message if you just don't heal them for a few mins.

Either that or next time they see you they beat the crap outa you for not healing.

I have 6 people on my ignore list since rolling a monk.So many abusive DMs just because the fucker can't stand still.

jernau
06-12-04, 16:15
Either that or next time they see you they beat the crap outa you for not healing.

I have 6 people on my ignore list since rolling a monk.So many abusive DMs just because the fucker can't stand still.
If they get abusive it's very simple - Heal becomes DB and it's bye-bye time.

Anyone stupid enough to abuse a PPU they are teamed with while caving deserves to lose a belt.

ArgieD
06-12-04, 16:23
So guys do you seriously believe that PPUs should get actually paid in order to cast a spell? I really don't get it.

As a reasonable person (as if), all my characters are Spy Tradeskillers and I can confirm that you need to make an effort or waste some grass / lube before demanding from people tipping you. It is a common secret that CSTing / RESing / REPing are activities that may be classed as non cost-effective. There are numerous times that people don't tip you at all, or they just give you a mere 2k ncl after you have just wasted an entire Big Pack of whatever.

Unlike others, we Tradeskillers never moan, as we understand that many players do not have any characters similar to ours and probably are unaware of the actual costs involved. To me, casting a spell should be rewarded as much as modding, which means 0, nothing, zilch. I would certainly agree with you guys if you had to consume something, per spell, that is only regenerated at some cost.

Conclusion: Not only you are overpowered but moan a lot too. :p
Moral of the story: Give a PPu an inch and he'll take a mile!

Spermy
06-12-04, 16:27
Nah - As a levelling PPU - experience is everything - if you don't get XP you aren't going anywhere fast.

Therefore if the group is too high/low for you to get XP - then some other kind of reward is needed. That way - the meagre amounts of money a PPU has will at least get thier next psi module.

N3v3rM0r3
06-12-04, 16:47

hybrid? as vertex? :D

N3v3rM0r3

Spermy
06-12-04, 16:56
I learned the hardway that Hybrids - while excellent on paper - or as a finished character, are a form of masochism. Unless you plan it really well and know how to use your PPU and APU properly it's one big headache.

So far I'm stuck. I have only a small collection of spells I can use and I find it very unsatysfing to be stuck in that bracket for the next 20 levels not because the gaps between spells are high - but because every point I get has to be balanced out.

Play a PPU or APU before going hybrid. Or play Both.

jernau
06-12-04, 16:57
@argie - I can see what you're saying but I suspect you've never played a PPU or at least not as a primary character.

PPUing for cave runs sucks in so many ways. Just for starters :
- mob rewards barely cover boosters
- XP is shit compared to everyone else
- everyone relies on you but almost no-one appreciates that
- most teams contain only 2 or 3 people that give you XP - the rest are charity cases
- when people fuck-up you pay (team goes on ahead during rez = no XP)

This does not compare to CST/RES/REP. If you can't make a fortune in those trades you are doing a lot wrong. For every customer that tips 2k you get one that tips 20k and even if they don't you get XP. You also have complete control of the deal - if you don't want to get shit tips agree a price beforehand. On top of all that you have the fact CSTs and RESers can level solo if there are no customers around and get both good XP and cash even at lowbie levels.

/edit@Spermy ("") - Hybrids are amazing fun if you've played a lot of time as APU and/or PPU. I agree I wouldn't recommend it as someone's first monk character as there is a lot to keep track of.

ArgieD
06-12-04, 18:50
This does not compare to CST/RES/REP. If you can't make a fortune in those trades you are doing a lot wrong. For every customer that tips 2k you get one that tips 20k and even if they don't you get XP. You also have complete control of the deal - if you don't want to get shit tips agree a price beforehand. On top of all that you have the fact CSTs and RESers can level solo if there are no customers around and get both good XP and cash even at lowbie levels.

I couldn't agree more with you on this mate.

As I said in previous posts I don't moan about tradeskill rewards, but about PPUs who demand ncl if they don't get the required XP (for what? for casting spells...) But fear not, as I have read many posts composed by the "culprit" and I normally agree with him, so nothing personal there Spermy. ;)

Spermy
06-12-04, 19:16
I couldn't agree more with you on this mate.

As I said in previous posts I don't moan about tradeskill rewards, but about PPUs who demand ncl if they don't get the required XP (for what? for casting spells...) But fear not, as I have read many posts composed by the "culprit" and I normally agree with him, so nothing personal there Spermy. ;)

You damn right Boy!

*pokes*

It's mostly because from experience PPUs have

A) near zero money making potential - unless the poke - which is buggered at the mo anyway - hence the charge at the mo.

B) Really shite to level - so if you are willing to whack that shelter out - you're going to want at least some XP, if not - then there's not really much point as you could easily be off PPUing someone who you could actually gain Exp from.

In other words. Yeah.

PPUS SUCK!

Can't live with em, Can't live without em, Can't Live AS them.

For a pivotal class, they're a wee bit wank.

:D

Carinth
06-12-04, 22:35
If a ppu wants to gain exp/cash at a decent rate, then they need to be selfish and basicly ignore most people. They would only be able to take one or two people on a hunting trip, a team much larger then that lowers exp too much. The members of the team should be all APUs or Tank(maybe droners now too?), noone else has the aoe needed. Any other team and the ppu gets substandard exp, which really hurts where Int is concerned.

Now setting aside earning a decent amount of exp, if a ppu wants to earn any exp at all, he must group with people close to his rank. Which means low/mid level players are worthless to a high level ppu.

Maybe now you see why a ppu that helps a large team of players that don't necessarily all share with him, is going beyond the call of duty. He's bein nice and won't get anything for it. If it were possible to line up all the ppus in the game and chart them based on Exp vs "Niceness", you'd see the nicest ppus progress really relaly slowly. The selfish ppus zoom along and cap without much difficulty.

re: PPU Annoyances: Oh man there are sooo many. Dancers are definitly up there, or when they simply ask for somthing then turn around and run away from you. A fun aspect of team pvp is when you're trying to heal the friendly apu in brown PA who is fighting an enemy apu in brown PA. It's worse when they're both grey PA Tanks, but monks are more common nowadays. They circle strafe around each other and do all kinds of dances to avoid getting hit, but you're supposed to be able to target them for a heal/shelter. If you ever think monk aiming is easy, I dare you to try pulling that off ; )

There's also when you're in the middle of a big fight, and a friendly asks for HC3 or RC3. Yes while I'm being shot/managing my own buffs/watching out for a debuff/trying to keep track of the health of the team, let me hit tab and swap in this spell just for you!

The best APU I've ever worked with was deac's char Sunrise before he went ppu. We meshed so well it felt like he was my other half. He never ever ran farther then a few feet from me. Since he was always nearby I could time our buffs together and always keep him performing at top ability.

jernau
06-12-04, 22:40
Droners don't need a PPU.

One of their best features IMO :D.

All good points though. For all the bitching about PPUs it's amazing how much a good one is worth.

Carinth
07-12-04, 00:38
I can ummm.. drone3 ya! Add some range... One of the funniest teams I was in was 2 ppus and 1 droner at Graves. Out of boredom we decided to see how well we could do against a Minion, two ppu's paraspamming + sc's only managed to get it halfway down while the droner cleared out half the place. Good times ; )

jini
07-12-04, 07:27
nice remarks jer and Carinth.
@Carinth: ppl will never understand HOW to help a ppu. They think that the ppu is there to help them. Most of them are soo greedy, that having a ppu in their backs, they keep one eye in the mob they fire, and one in their exp they get. they forget everything else. They forget their team, they dont cooperate, they dance, and what's more, they tend to forgt that the support they get comes from a guy that, he too has needs. If one wants to level a ppu he either has to:
1. be prepared to do a lot of charity like he owes to someone, or
2. find his "other half" ignore all the others and enjoy the class which is also so much fun on the passive side of things.
Having said all that, I'm currently stick with my PEs, but PEs are by nature hybrids and i think this is what i enjoy most of everything. So, yes I believe that a carefully setup hybrid would be amazing fun, provided you know how to handle the load.

superfresh
07-12-04, 08:47
I learned the hardway that Hybrids - while excellent on paper - or as a finished character, are a form of masochism. Unless you plan it really well and know how to use your PPU and APU properly it's one big headache.

So far I'm stuck. I have only a small collection of spells I can use and I find it very unsatysfing to be stuck in that bracket for the next 20 levels not because the gaps between spells are high - but because every point I get has to be balanced out.

I've been playing a hybrid a friend has helped me set up. From what I can tell, its like wizards/sorcerers (for you Neverwinter Nights guys) in that they finally reach a certain point and explode with good stuff. Just like the casters in NWN, it seems like you have to sweat it out for a very long time until you get to the point that makes it worthwile.

I'm pretty high but still not at that point. Hybrids are a pain in the ass but at least you can credit yourself for playing a challenging character.

p.s. Crahn glove.

ArgieD
07-12-04, 11:31
they dont cooperate, they dance, and what's more, they tend to forgt that the support they get comes from a guy that, he too has needs.

are you talking about my ex girlfriends by any chance? :p

jini
07-12-04, 13:42
are you talking about my ex girlfriends by any chance? :p hehehehe
no, but indeed Xs do fit the above definition :D:D