PDA

View Full Version : server uptime...

Jesterthegreat
04-12-04, 06:28
The Neocron 2 service will be available about 95% of the time during a calendar quarter. Additional maintencance downtimes will amount to a maximum of 4 days per year.

4 days downtime for maintanence per year and 95% playability per quarter...

do rolled back times count as "available" as all the changes you made were lost?

this isnt a flame... most of us have never read the rules of conduct so i wanted to bringthis to peoples attention and see how people think its going :)

Kozmos
04-12-04, 07:03
The magoc word, is about, like the way that carling can say probably the best beer in the world, them saying about, means that 95% is expected, things like rollbacks etc dont count to downtime, things like patching do, any other downtime is not 'expected' so doesent count

Darth Slayer
04-12-04, 23:47
You can't really take into account Software glitches and crashes and Hardware failures. I think all things considered they've done a pretty decent job of keeping the servers running.

Scorpius.

Jesterthegreat
05-12-04, 01:16
You can't really take into account Software glitches and crashes and Hardware failures. I think all things considered they've done a pretty decent job of keeping the servers running.

Scorpius.

dont get me wrong... im not saying "if the 4 days are gone and thing need fixing wait til next year" :p

hegemon
05-12-04, 08:28
I'm sorry to say, but 95% is not impressive in any way. 95% per quarter is almost 5 days downtime. Or almost three weeks per year.

Normally uptime promises are measured on a scale where you count the nines in 99.9999... On that scale, this promise is a one nine. Real promises begin at three nines - 8 hours per year. Anything less than that is just buzzwords to impress customers who don't care to do the math.

I know, I've written contracts and marketing material with two nines. ;)

Kozmos
05-12-04, 08:38
I'm sorry to say, but 95% is not impressive in any way. 95% per quarter is almost 5 days downtime. Or almost three weeks per year.

Normally uptime promises are measured on a scale where you count the nines in 99.9999... On that scale, this promise is a one nine. Real promises begin at three nines - 8 hours per year. Anything less than that is just buzzwords to impress customers who don't care to do the math.

I know, I've written contracts and marketing material with two nines. ;)

Show me any other mmo that only has 8 hours downtime per YEAR O_o

NeoDriver
05-12-04, 10:01
.... I think all things considered they've done a pretty decent job of keeping the servers running.

Scorpius.

I completely agree with you here i think they have done an excellent job too :)

hegemon
06-12-04, 05:56
Show me any other mmo that only has 8 hours downtime per YEAR O_o

Nononono. You misunderstood me. The uptime of Neocron is impressive beyond belief. I've never experienced game servers this stable.

I mean, as a promise, that promise is worthless, but they keep it much better than they need, which is good. I also mean that if they'd really use all the time the 95% would allow, people would really scream.

MkVenner
06-12-04, 06:50
while they do have impressive uptime, i wouldnt go so far as to call them totally stable...about as stable as leather face or buffalo Bill :p

*wonders off to see if he can find out why he's up this late*

Seven
06-12-04, 07:46
You really can't compare uptime in this game to other MMORPG's which have 10's of thousands of people on at one time.

While uptime is a plus here, the servers aren't stressed at all.

Lachlan
06-12-04, 18:23
The uptime is meaningless without some kind of penalty or benefit for making or not making the goal. So they don't make 95%.. what happens? Nothing. Maybe someone might quit if they lost more than 5 days of playtime in a quarter, but I doubt it.

Jesterthegreat
07-12-04, 00:31
I completely agree with you here i think they have done an excellent job too :)

other than 3 rollbacks within 3 weeks?

jernau
07-12-04, 02:29

Scorpius.
That is precisely what uptimes are meant to take into account. They aren't meant to be random numbers they are meant to be contractual promises from a supplier to their customers.

Periods deleted in rollbacks most certainly should not count as uptime.

The inclusion of the word "about", the 4 day get-out on top and the fact they are only aiming for 95% in the first place says a lot about KK's confidence in their product :(.