PDA

View Full Version : Game week

Xian
30-11-04, 15:01
I would love for someone to give me a reason why they do it, but I'm completely baffled by KK's choice of theme weeks. New content and improving the issues in different aspects of NC2 is good, but the main issues still aren't sorted! Fatals, syncs, netcode and countless login bugs, among the general things that have been plagueing the game either recently or since the first Neocron's release.

Bugs turn people away. This has been gone over again and again by countless members of the community, yet KK still chose to continue promising, and now there's hardly a whisper mention of attempts to fix the core problems of this game. In my opinion, performance is still one of the biggest issues. HL2 performs better on my machine than NC2, and it's far from a powerful box.

KK could take a month or two on this for all I cared, I see absolutely zero point in attempting fixes/add-ons in hacknet when issues like netcode and sync bugs still affect it so greatly. I thought it was great that droning was fixed, but in the long term I'm still more annoyed at the random sync bugs, fatals, and so on.

I'm worried about people pushing for Item tracking and player shops, if they're going to cause more problems with performance/lag.

All I'm suggesting is some time spent on improving the performance of the game (if it's even possible) and at least an attempt on fixing some of the silly bugs.

MaGn0lia
30-11-04, 15:04
Have you ever tried to burn things with flashlight? wouldn't it be much easier to just concentrate the light with magnifying glass, much more effective that way.
The same principles work with game development.

Bugs Gunny
30-11-04, 15:15
The things they can't figure out how to fix they'd rather keep quiet.
Entertain the masses to make them docile, bread and games for all.
Themeweeks for the people.

Xian
30-11-04, 15:20
Have you ever tried to burn things with flashlight? wouldn't it be much easier to just concentrate the light with magnifying glass, much more effective that way.
The same principles work with game development.

Exactly why I'm asking them to focus on the general bugs.

The things they can't figure out how to fix they'd rather keep quiet.
Entertain the masses to make them docile, bread and games for all.
Themeweeks for the people.

If you hadn't noticed, there isn't that much of a mass to entertain.

jini
30-11-04, 16:27
The same principles work with game development. Yes, but they use the magnified glass upside down, they difuse the light lol :D
Reminds me of these funny moves of someone watching with binoculars from the opposite way

Terkantia
30-11-04, 17:13
I started a droner in NC2 beta. I fell in love.

When drones were announced as the first theme week, i was doing backflips I was so excited. I was SO sick and tired of the bugs, I cannot begin to describe it. At the conclusion of the theme week, I was flabergasted at the amopunt of things that KK fixed and added for us.

After that experience, I ahve firm belief that KK will address these issues in short order. It seems that some of us don't understand or attempt to understand what running a gamre company involves. As I understand, KK is a small organization. Trying to bring a team up to speed on an entire game from a technical standpoint is a daunting task.

China will be done soon enough and then we will ahve the devs back to continue their push through the code, mechanics and bugs that we all loathe. As a wiseman once said . . .

"Patience is a virtue"

To all those that want to read this as a flame, taunt or slight, there is not a milligram of malus ment in anything that i ahve wrote. Just bringing a different perspective to the table that some might not see . . .

=)

devore
30-11-04, 17:36
I'm a old NC1 user just doing the 10 day trial to see whats new. Think it expires on Friday. The reason I won't be resubscribing is the sync/fatal errors it seems worse than my nc1 days.

Just the idea of a cyberpunk mmorpg made my flatmate sign up for the trial too but in 7 days we have never been able to play together for longer than 5 minutes due to one or both of us erroring. It's a real shame because I want Neocron to work so badly :mad:

Carinth
30-11-04, 18:05
Terkantia: You're missing the point, noone denies that kk did a wonderful job with droners and will probably work wonders with hacknet now... but these are very specific problems that effect only a portion of the community. Hacknet has a larger portion of the community, and does impact the equipment distribution some. But again there are problems that effect everyone which should get priority.

While patience is good, many of us have been waiting 2 years or more for this. Also, KK is helping setup NC2 over in Asia *and* just arranged it so NC2 will finnaly ship to stores accross Europe. That means the game is going to be under close scrutiny by new players. Do you think they will be impressed that Droners were fixed up when they crash/synch/can't find equipment they need/any number of other problems.

A good analogy would be renovating a house. Normaly you fix up the house and then try to sell it. What KK is doing is installing a nice home theater system even though there's no roof yet. Or putting down some nice carpeting even though there's no plumbing yet. And at the same time, potential customers are wandering in. Do they see a disclaimer "There's no electricity but we're working on that and will have it done for you soon?" no, they see "We're very proud of this new jacuzzi we put in, doesn't it look nice?"

Xian
30-11-04, 18:30
Terkantia: You're missing the point, noone denies that kk did a wonderful job with droners and will probably work wonders with hacknet now... but these are very specific problems that effect only a portion of the community. Hacknet has a larger portion of the community, and does impact the equipment distribution some. But again there are problems that effect everyone which should get priority.

While patience is good, many of us have been waiting 2 years or more for this. Also, KK is helping setup NC2 over in Asia *and* just arranged it so NC2 will finnaly ship to stores accross Europe. That means the game is going to be under close scrutiny by new players. Do you think they will be impressed that Droners were fixed up when they crash/synch/can't find equipment they need/any number of other problems.

A good analogy would be renovating a house. Normaly you fix up the house and then try to sell it. What KK is doing is installing a nice home theater system even though there's no roof yet. Or putting down some nice carpeting even though there's no plumbing yet. And at the same time, potential customers are wandering in. Do they see a disclaimer "There's no electricity but we're working on that and will have it done for you soon?" no, they see "We're very proud of this new jacuzzi we put in, doesn't it look nice?"

Exactly!

No matter how much new content or minor fixes are made, random errors and large bugs are going to be the first thing to turn people away from this game.

devore
01-12-04, 00:47
Great way to put it Carinth, my feelings exactly.

dem0n
01-12-04, 00:57
I would love for someone to give me a reason why they do it, but I'm completely baffled by KK's choice of theme weeks. New content and improving the issues in different aspects of NC2 is good, but the main issues still aren't sorted! Fatals, syncs, netcode and countless login bugs, among the general things that have been plagueing the game either recently or since the first Neocron's release.

Bugs turn people away. This has been gone over again and again by countless members of the community, yet KK still chose to continue promising, and now there's hardly a whisper mention of attempts to fix the core problems of this game. In my opinion, performance is still one of the biggest issues. HL2 performs better on my machine than NC2, and it's far from a powerful box.

KK could take a month or two on this for all I cared, I see absolutely zero point in attempting fixes/add-ons in hacknet when issues like netcode and sync bugs still affect it so greatly. I thought it was great that droning was fixed, but in the long term I'm still more annoyed at the random sync bugs, fatals, and so on.

I'm worried about people pushing for Item tracking and player shops, if they're going to cause more problems with performance/lag.

All I'm suggesting is some time spent on improving the performance of the game (if it's even possible) and at least an attempt on fixing some of the silly bugs.

*sigh* I just can't seem to understand you people. NC2 is bug free. those crashes you expirience... it's client side... it's your PC... it's you. I'm not the one to brag... but I get 1 FRE in about 12h of playing, and 99% of the time it's the logout and citycom fre. but some people get the wierdest things happening to them. your saying like you get a FRE every 15 minutes... well have you tried working on it? now don't come at me "I got 2xPCI express cards, 4GB of 0.5 GHz RAM, 2x3.2 GHz CPU, I cap FPS on FarCry", that doesn't mean your capable of maintaining a fully functional system.

Can you even take in consideration the ammount of time it would take to fix a bug? Crap I make a program with about 600 lines of code and can't find the goddamn bugger that keeps messing everything up and finaly I rewrite everything, the bugs aren't frequent at all, but lack of content is something thats a constant follower for everyone of us. I'd just wish if you people wouldn understand that KK may waste 2 months of their time trying to eliminate all bugs and may even end up without fixing any... or with some freaky luck they just might be implementing something and run into it.

Xian
01-12-04, 01:59
*sigh* I just can't seem to understand you people. NC2 is bug free. those crashes you expirience... it's client side... it's your PC... it's you. I'm not the one to brag... but I get 1 FRE in about 12h of playing, and 99% of the time it's the logout and citycom fre. but some people get the wierdest things happening to them. your saying like you get a FRE every 15 minutes... well have you tried working on it? now don't come at me "I got 2xPCI express cards, 4GB of 0.5 GHz RAM, 2x3.2 GHz CPU, I cap FPS on FarCry", that doesn't mean your capable of maintaining a fully functional system.

My system is a 1.7Ghz Athlon XP 2100+, 786MB SDRAM with a Geforce 3 Ti. Before you jump to conclusions, oh wait, you did already. Anyway, I know perfectly well how to maintain a fully functioning system, and have seen NC2 play on plenty of different configurations. Also, I've changed RAM/graphics card types in the past, to no avail.

The bugs/FREs seem to be more frequent on some machines and not others. I've tried it with minimum specification, maximum, above maximum, etc. The results were always random, sometimes NC2 would fatal all the time, other times not for a long time or not at all - same with sync bugs.

I very much so doubt that there's some sort of exact setup required to play the game at a level that won't cause some level of frustration. You seem to have it quite well, but if you've ever taken the time to read the forums you'll see plenty haven't - I'm not the only one.

Can you even take in consideration the ammount of time it would take to fix a bug? Crap I make a program with about 600 lines of code and can't find the goddamn bugger that keeps messing everything up and finaly I rewrite everything, the bugs aren't frequent at all, but lack of content is something thats a constant follower for everyone of us. I'd just wish if you people wouldn understand that KK may waste 2 months of their time trying to eliminate all bugs and may even end up without fixing any... or with some freaky luck they just might be implementing something and run into it.

I'm more than able to appreciate the time it takes, I've worked with people making a game and how horribly annoying it can be to get bugs sorted. There was a patch a while ago that stopped the constant FRE problems a short while into NC1 retail (someone correct me if I'm wrong) for most people. It looked like KK did well there, so maybe if they spent some more time on it fixes might be made.

Even if it was just attempted, I'd be happy. An announced try at fixing the problems I mentioned would be good - at least we'd know they tried. It's definitely a risk, because as you mentioned they might come out of it all having not fixed anything. But if they managed it, I'd bet more people would stay in the game, especially new players.

Carinth
01-12-04, 18:06

hahaha, you're just as bad as MJS when he said he never lags or crashes while playing NC1. Because his experience was good, he assumes the game is fine and it must be our problem. Except if you did a poll you'd see that something like 80-90% of customers are experiencing these problems. It always pissed me off when the small percentage of people who never had problems in nc post in a thread about it, saying this. Yea I'm glad the game runs fine for you, it doesn't for almost everyone else!

That's like being one of the lucky few who had an umbrella with them when it started pouring down rain. Everyone else is drenched while you're standing there happily saying nothing's wrong.

Mr_Snow
01-12-04, 18:22
Enlighten us to what exactly we are doing wrong to MAKE neocron crash over countless systems, and OS'es, over 2 years.

Mr_Snow
01-12-04, 18:24
btw, anyone find it ironic, that a feature that was only added in NC2, and that was touted as being one of the best things about it, needs a theme week?

LTA
01-12-04, 18:44
btw, anyone find it ironic, that a feature that was only added in NC2, and that was touted as being one of the best things about it, needs a theme week?
and it was something that was rumored to be added way way back when i first created an account around jan/feb 2003 times the whole reason i rolled a hacker spy before i found all i could hack was some mobs, a op when high enough and some shitty chests.....no hacknet then not for a while yet lol