PDA

View Full Version : Instant death - net code?

Selendor
28-11-04, 15:31
Ok so I've been at a lot of op wars recently on my PPU, and I usually survive pretty well, as long as I don't crash on zoning. However, I've started to die a lot 'instantly', and I was wondering if anyone else is getting this. Its not a sniper, I have had full buffs and shields, and sometimes also my holy heal running.

The initial reaction is 'exploit!' etc, but I think it could be a problem of netcode update between the client and server. Does anyone know if the rate of updates have been nerfed in Neocron 2? From what I've seen at op wars, the lag is better compared to Neocron 1, but in my 2 years of Op wars I never died like this before.

Is anyone else seeing this? I'm on DirectX9 by the way.

Sel

[VP]Orion
28-11-04, 15:50
Several people have reported this before. And I know of atleast one time when a person answered which was one of the ones that killed him.

That time the person suddenly just dropped down dead but the enemies had been parashocking him, shooting HLs and some other things.

So yes, its the net code. Seems to work worse in NC2 with more getting out of syncs and such (lifts are the worst cases). I dont know why its like this, if its coincidence that it seems to happen more in NC2 or if KK really changed something in the network code.

MkVenner
28-11-04, 15:57
Yeah ive noticed it, i was fighting a HL Rifle spy in the GR room at MB, im almost dead so i run off to heal, go through one door to the bar, throught both door in the corridoor, kneel out side in the little staging area with the crates, pop a heal, wait, then fall over dead, lieing there looking at my corpse im like WTF, then in floats, yes floats, through the walls n shit, Mr. Spy. Then i GR back and get gangraped by what seems like the whole of crahn and their dog, but thats a story for another time...

Darken
28-11-04, 16:09
There are some problems regarding meelee weapons, they hit you and you dont get damage, then you suddenly get all dmg at once you have been given, but which didnt show on your client.
same goes for Healing light i think.

kurai
28-11-04, 17:52
Yep - I can confirm this certainly happens with the Healing Light.

There have been a number of occasions where I've seen an HL sniper up on a hill, drawn my gun and instantly gone from full health plus shelter to dead ... instantly.
No individual hits, no shelter flash - just dead.

The converse is true too - I've been shooting someone with the HL ... tiny dmg for the first few shots if it registers at all, then suddenly 400 floats up and they drop down dead.

LTA
28-11-04, 18:10
heh seen it happen alot

On my apu i do alot of debuffing and i noticed recently i debuffed the ppu would get hammered but would rebuff and it would see like we did 30 dmg in total then all of a sudden the fully buffed ppu would drop dead.

Happens with all weapons, i've had cs, ravager, hl do to me i think its just client - server update thing

John.nl
28-11-04, 18:55
Got that whilst droning. Hit on some guy with a PN but he took no damage. Ah, LE, I thought and moved on. Then the fella found my body and I died. He must have had 2 hp's left.

Eye1Hoe
28-11-04, 19:12
@ 1st post: are you kidding? xD I am a noob in the Neocron world, and one of the first 'weirder than normal' things I noticed when I started playing NC2 was the netcode.
To me, like to the thread starter, it feels as if the server didn't talk with the client as actively as it should for a first person shooter (it matters much less in the point and click mmorpgs). I think this "bandwidth saving" causes ie. the monsters to be generally so weird, errors in damage prediction, sudden deaths, waiting seconds for something to happen, random zoning, and server seeing different things than the client etc etc. (while ping still being <100, as in not lagging).
For my amusement I've thought of the following explanations:
1. NC2 game engine is horribily outdated (anyone who disagrees can die) and kinda designed for modems :P
2. KK tries to save money by saving the bandwidth they send to players :P (fyi b/w is expensive-ish).

Jesterthegreat
28-11-04, 19:23
ive experianced this vs 1 clan and 1 clan alone... i havent reported it and im not going to name them here, in pm or ingame. theres no way i can prove anything if i email exploits@neocron.com and say "this guy killed me instantly... heres a screenie of me dead so i must be right".

other than that HL and long range weapons in general feel like insta death cos theres no animition / sound / blood splatter

deac
28-11-04, 19:30
BUT IT MUST BE FF!!"#1!!! they use a psi shield HAX AND OMFG THEY DO 12321 231 dmg and they never die and they can zone to ug from like half the zone away and they ALWAYS have 30+ vs you alone and you still win! (unless we use the psi shield hax)

edit.. too bad you never fought pain....in a clan vs clan battle

Jesterthegreat
28-11-04, 19:37
ive fought pain almost as much as ive fought ff. i never said it was ff...

people who havent muted me yet know i dont exactly have love for pain either. however this isnt the place for clan vs clan rivalryies. i didnt mention a clan, runner or faction... i replied to the threadstarters post.

deac
28-11-04, 19:39
you did mention us in another thread soo....

Jesterthegreat
28-11-04, 19:40
you did mention us in another thread soo....

so you thought you would take his one well off topic?

congrats.

Nidhogg
28-11-04, 19:46
Yeah, get back on topic, please.

N

Selendor
28-11-04, 20:51
Heheh worried the thread might go that way, but giving people the benefit of the doubt, it seems there is definitely a problem with damage lag.

As a PPU you try to keep you reputation intact for competency, as usually it should be very hard to take one of us down, but since the last four deaths of mine have been instant and from zoning, don't get mad at your clan ppus when they die ;)

Jesterthegreat
28-11-04, 20:53
Heheh worried the thread might go that way, but giving people the benefit of the doubt, it seems there is definitely a problem with damage lag.

As a PPU you try to keep you reputation intact for competency, as usually it should be very hard to take one of us down, but since the last four deaths of mine have been instant and from zoning, don't get mad at your clan ppus when they die ;)

when i cant kill a PPU alone i get abuse over trade calling me a noob for not killing him... some people are idiots :)

i think once the long range animations etc are fixed hopefully that will solve a fair bit. you will see / hear shots from long range like you used to be able to.

LTA
28-11-04, 21:24
i think once the long range animations etc are fixed hopefully that will solve a fair bit. you will see / hear shots from long range like you used to be able to.
Its not to do with animation, one min your all fine and dandy then bam everything gone in one go, you can see yourself gettin hit, healing then all of sudden its like all the damage is added in and the server ignores the fact you had heal running it just adds everything you took during your brief lag/heal period without the actual heal etc.

I only get it when the server lag kicks in

With ranged weps i can at least see my health move down in the segments of hits

SypH
28-11-04, 21:34
I've been able to reproduce something similar to this myself using falling damage. I to have had something like this happen at op wars (and it hasnt been against just the one certain TG clan before anyone starts shouting exploit;)). I'd be fully buffed and at full health, then just drop dead all of the sudden.

I tried it last night on my LE'd spy. I jumped from a high enough spot to give me lots of fall damage but not enough to kill me. I lost about 1/4 health but could move fine. Slapped on a heal and my health started ticking down in big clumps. It shot down to half health, a second later I was down to 1/4 health and as the heal wore off I had 10HP left. I havent been able to reproduce it consistantly every time, but it did happen quite a few times when I tried it out. Certainly seemed like wonky netcode to me.

Jesterthegreat
28-11-04, 22:09
Its not to do with animation, one min your all fine and dandy then bam everything gone in one go, you can see yourself gettin hit, healing then all of sudden its like all the damage is added in and the server ignores the fact you had heal running it just adds everything you took during your brief lag/heal period without the actual heal etc.

I only get it when the server lag kicks in

With ranged weps i can at least see my health move down in the segments of hits

as i said it will solve it a fair bit.

someone with a HL at range you wont see / hear the shot, you may think its an insta death.

if the HL / range bug was fixed the 2 bugs wouldnt be confused, and we could get more accurate accounts of where it happened... allowing it to be fixed quicker

Seven
28-11-04, 22:44
Removing the backpacks doesn't seem to be helping the server issues.

Jesterthegreat
28-11-04, 23:20
Removing the backpacks doesn't seem to be helping the server issues.

all it seems to be doing is annoying people who dont know if the enemy gr'd or logged :(

Xylaz
29-11-04, 02:01
lag dmg is another famous issue brought to us by KK from nc1. Its exactly the same as with melee dmg and long range burst rifles. It happens only if one weapon does multiple hits in very short period of time - then it creates some lag i guess - while server adds the dmg :P - then, when he finish the calculations you suddenly got a condensed dmg on one player.

It rarely appears with plasma weapons and spells, most visible with melees and long range rifles (HL, DIS), but of course all weapons are affected by the shitcode.

SypH
29-11-04, 04:35
Happened tonight again in an op war. Saw the enemy running towards the op, suddenly it was like they all warped forward half a zone (and I mean all of the...eek) and I was on teh floor before I could even pop a heal. I can take getting killed by players. It happens. Part of the game. I do get pissed off however, when I get killed by something piss poor like this that leaves you with no chance to defend yourself.

Koth
29-11-04, 13:22
i wouldnt know :S but ive seen similar stuff happen, its prolly just server lag

netster
29-11-04, 14:04
Happened tonight again in an op war. Saw the enemy running towards the op, suddenly it was like they all warped forward half a zone
This happens even to myself, while walking to an op :P .... just 1/8 zone-warp-jump o_O

AND yes ... the netcode is HORROR ...... even Planetside got a cewl netcode, so why cant kk ? :(

MaGn0lia
29-11-04, 14:45
I think it has something to do with the large amount of damage done in very short time, this happens alot, and I mean ALOT in MC5, I have seen full buffed PPUs and Tanks taking a nap without any shots being fired there, not even the red damage count hovering over their body or anything, just dead.

So I think the server feeds so large amounts of damage in so little time that the client just decides to kill the player without further ado. Or something as crazy as that, you know, NC is a crazy game.

Darkener
29-11-04, 14:48
hmm yeah i been noticing this to. I also notice when you pull a weapon sometimes it takes about 5 secs or more to pull, my ping remains stable all the time and doesnt change same with pulling heals. Also when firing sometimes its like a lag on cs shots that hit i dont know if i hit someone or not. It looks like lag but its not my ping always remains stable.

Selendor
29-11-04, 15:27
My contention here is that it never happened like that in Neocron 1, so in my opinion someone has turned down the update rate between client and server. Either that or its a bug with some weapons as some have said.

SypH
29-11-04, 17:40
This happens even to myself, while walking to an op :P .... just 1/8 zone-warp-jump o_O

AND yes ... the netcode is HORROR ...... even Planetside got a cewl netcode, so why cant kk ? :(
By any chance was it at ceres? Cause I was sitting there at the GR room, and saw a few people in the distance, and I was thinking, "Plenty of time to light a ciggy up for a smo.....OH MY GOD IM DEAD!!!!" Was pissied for a bit, but it ended up being a kickass seies of fights.

Selendor
29-11-04, 19:40
Hmm actually mine have all been at Ceres, but thats also because a lot of our fights have been down there recently, so its hard to say if its the zone. I'll keep an eye on it though in case it happens elsewhere.