PDA

View Full Version : Early Neocron 1 and a rant

Drake6k
26-11-04, 19:33
I'm making this post because I love Neocron and I'm in a shitty position with it right now. If you dont care you dont have to reply and tell me so.

I joined Neocron in September 2002 and have been a diehard fanboy for a long time. It's amazing to look at all that has happened in the last more than two years.

The best times I ever had in Neocron were from the beginning of retail NC1. Everyone was clueless. No one knew how to play a good monk, no ppus you couldn't kill. Hybrids hadn't been discovered. Most everyone was actually poor, money had value, a 4 slot TL 50 gun was actually worth bragging about. When you died one item was dropped randomly off your quickbelt onto the ground for anyone to grab. It was fun when you could kill somone and pick up a CS :D Smurf tanks... The liberator actually did more damage per burst than any other gun in the game. No one had a really good PE at first and the best pvpers were lib tanks. :D Also every class could use freezer weapons which were actually better than the current holy paralysis I believe.

I really miss all that. To me I'ts hard to believe how long I've been with Neocron and how many differen't friends I had and clans I've been in. Been the leader of 4 clans including Mirrorshades on Pluto. My first clan was the Khans (remember them?) My 2nd clan (TAG) was one I ended up leading had over 30 members all of which I believe have quit after we were around for a good year. Most of my current friends never even met the members of TAG and have been playing for a long time now, they know just as much about the current NC as me.

Never actually linked to my old screenshot page in a thread so I'll post it here
http://jackdiehl.com/screenshots

Here is a noteable pic from Neocron1, brings back memories for me at least. And you all know who Jest is :p
http://jackdiehl.com/neo1.jpg
Old spell icons, freezer pistol, and I didn't even have shelter.

I did lose over 4000 screenshots from the old days though :(

I just got back from a 3 week vacation. Seems like my clan Tempest
( http://neocron2.jafc.de/showthread.php?t=117615&highlight=tempest <- from the day before I left )
is almost completely dead. I hate my entire faction and the political system controling NEXT (GM thing) But I wont get into that, dont want my hands cut off :) I now have 150% aiming on my liberator (had 36 weapon lore capping it before) and no direction...

I know I can do whatever I want in Neocron... I can join a new clan, faction, reroll, lom, hold an event, whatever. Anything is possible in Neocron. That's why I'm not moving to WoW with a lot of my friends. If I want to host a event I actually know I can get a GM to support and make something cool happen. You cant do that in another game. Oh and I haven't needed to level in two years (I have some but I avoid it) Jack Drake was my first character and I still have him.

So I'm making this post because I'm down on Neocron. The new weapon lore stuff is crap, I still cant change my clothes, venturewarp is still a joke, WoC doesn't mean anything, FREs, and I have nothing left (non material). My friends keep leaving. I'm just sitting in NEXT HQ alone now. The noobs keep leaving... there is no advertising... click2pay says my accounts are suspended still after 3 phone calls.

Should I quit? I dont want to ever quit but right now I dont know what I'll do. Maybe I'll just not login and keep paying ReaKKtor. Maybe I'm still playing because I remember how much fun it was before when I was new, hadn't done a million OP wars, and didn't know what every feature and item was. Does anyone miss Neocron 1 like that?

I know I shouldnt post this but if your on Terra and know who I am I may be looking for a clan soon. PM me.

:\

http://jackdiehl.com/sig2.gif

sanityislost
26-11-04, 19:42
Yea dude, i understand where your coming from. Was kinda thiking along the
same lines a few months ago but i came back (again lol). Got together with
some old friends who came back and some new friends ive just got to know.
we started another small clan, not really for ops but just to rp, have fun and raid
nc without thinking we have to this, this, this....ect. Guess my only advice is
maybe try and start something new that you have always wanted to do in game

SiL ..:..

garyu69
26-11-04, 19:44
My main memory of you is the time you kept killing me at the MB GR, and asking why i kept coming back. Those were the days.
For me i still enjoy Neocron, and there are still people i know in game even if pretty much most of my clan has left now. But i'm going to get exo strong again and just enjoy myself.

You should RP yourself to FA and come join some old pluto lot here.

But don't quit, whats the point of going through the hassle of re-activating?

Found an article i wrote when i worked on a games site for the release of NC1:
http://web.archive.org/web/20021121062246/www.madgamers.net/news/view.php?id=1230

Check out the quote:

We expect the early adopters to become Neocron ambassadors
See you're an ambassador, you can't leave. Even if it was a CDV guy saying so.

phunqe
26-11-04, 20:31
[ edited ]

Opar
28-11-04, 11:37
get down to your local games shop today and buy Neocron for £29.99.

A local gamestore? Selling Neocron?

deac
28-11-04, 12:22
I know the feeling jack...been there done that... it IS getting a BIT old now....

Well i stay around for the ppl and the op wars are still the best pvp you can get in a mmo.

Anyways Khans just got started in wow and ill have gargantua to ship me an american copy....

Not sure ill stay there but ill check it out.

Neocron is down 2 accounts from today... ill keep my main around for op wars untill i decide.

MkVenner
28-11-04, 15:03
Well, I aint been around as long as some guys, i think its only like 2 years, but im starting to feel it too. There is no, NO other MMO thats been able to keep me interested, and i think im like the only person who has NO interest in WoW, im not even gunna try it lol. Another thing thats annoying is the fact that I left saturn for a reason, the amount of wankers, CS Kiddies, Twats, cunts, fucktards and tossers, FAR out weiged the good people on that server, but now everyone who chose not to play with them, but who cant speak german or french, is lumped in with them, and their fucked up ways are pissing me off...

Im not gunna quit, not yet...tho i always said i wouldnt quit till i'd done a few things, but ive done all them now...hmm

Back when i first started it was great, not knowing WTF was going on, joining Division and having XF take me under his wing, hell everyone in there helped me out ALOT. But everyone from there has quit now...cept mebbe zero, im not sure if there the same guy now tho...
Then we merged with a few other clans and became Imposing Order, thats was sweet, but everyone from there has quit, cept Sel, and i dont see him around at all, and Dr Goodhead is still around. Then i left saturn, wandered from server to server till DJ gave me a home in skulls....

This game could be ALOT better, shame its not...imo dont quit

i've rolled a few chars for RP purposes in completly different factions to my norm wonder how that'll turn out...

Darken
28-11-04, 16:11
We need back the Retail feeling from the start!
Remove Belt drop...
Just let one item pop on the ground :D

Herbitt
28-11-04, 16:53
I definitely agree, NC1 was the best game i've ever played, and turning it into NC2 was probably the biggest mistake. I dont think NC1 needed improved graphics, those graphics it had are what made NC1 what it was. All NC1 needed was more features and more attention paid to the content and so on.

For me, NC2 is the death of any interest i had left in neocron, thats why ive cancelled my account, it just doesnt do anything for me anymore. If only the NC1 servers had more than 0 people playing on them =\ .

notneo
28-11-04, 18:14
totally agree with all thats been said above

got 2 acounts on 3 month sign up,if things dont improve i may even go beardy and go kill some elves instead ...........aaaaargh!!!!!!

dark_reaper
28-11-04, 18:48
Lost memories! those were the days in early NC1. The only people that has the slightest clues are the beta testers.

Jesterthegreat
28-11-04, 19:19
Lost memories! those were the days in early NC1. The only people that has the slightest clues are the beta testers.

even beta testers overspec'd health, spec'd endurance and hed no resists (or was i just a noob :p)

Vid Gamer
28-11-04, 21:47
Well, you can't expect to have the same feeling as early NC1 beta just because the game has been out for years and everyone knows everything.

The only way is if KK wiped everything and reworked all the formula's and took out rares, but then everyone would quit. :p

I agree though, the best NC days are the NC1 days of NDA against Gang and TR on Pluto. Then again, I was still new so the game felt fresh. After 2-3 years, you can't do much to make a game feel fresh again.

Agent L
28-11-04, 22:01
*looks at screenshoots*
*sniff*

I WANT MY OLD MODEL BACK !!ONE

zii
29-11-04, 01:17
" It was fun when you could kill somone and pick up a CS Smurf tanks... "

This is why I think that we should have the old drop rules back. It means that the rare guns actually get passed around when people loose their fights. Loosing your CS does make death a scary Neocron experience.

garyu69
29-11-04, 01:24
even beta testers overspec'd health, spec'd endurance and hed no resists (or was i just a noob :p)
I remember spec'ing to use all weapons when i first started, and thought LoM pills were bad 8|

Would be nice to see a new 1 slot Int server where no one could transfer any of their characters to, making it a completly fresh server where everyone starts from scratch. That would be interesting.

___T-X____
29-11-04, 01:25
I know what you mean ive been playing a while now. Now the honeymoon with NC2 is over, i cant forsee the game lasting alot longer really. I think its beared all the fruits its going to with KK, regardless of it potential. I'd like to be wrong however im seeing the same attitudes as NC1 was ending....bored players etc.

Drake6k
29-11-04, 01:48
I know what you mean ive been playing a while now. Now the honeymoon with NC2 is over, i cant forsee the game lasting alot longer really. I think its beared all the fruits its going to with KK, regardless of it potential. I'd like to be wrong however im seeing the same attitudes as NC1 was ending....bored players etc.

DoY didn't make Neocron much more fun. Probably the best feature (IMO) was hacknet. The graphics didn't need changing. For some reason I think there is some engine limit on character textures/models, kk could have given us at least another 10 character clothing and heads in NC1 but didn't and in NC2 when a new model or texture is added old ones get removed. There are more skins that aren't being used but WHY!? The DoY city is just empty space to me that I haven't even been in more than once since retail NC2, I cant even change my characters clothes like in NC1, I'd rather have the old models in that respect. WoC was going to be a big step in giving players something new to do but the items aren't in and its just a level grind. What makes games playable in the future is more content. Neocron needs serious amounts of new content. Why couldn't DoY have skipped the graphics changes and focused on many more weapons, armor, clothing, heads, bigger world map, and hunting areas. That would have actually made the game more fun to play. Now it's just a bunch of shit I have no use for that has already lost it's effect on me :( :\ It couldn't be that hard to add sit and dance emotes, that would have gone a long way I think.

Oh well.

I'm going BD right now, maybe that'll be fun. But if I cant find something to keep me addicted anti-city I'm gone.

MkVenner
29-11-04, 03:50
Instead of giving us more stuff to do, they've just made the stuff we already had take longer, hunting for techs, at the current drop rate takes longer, leveling takes longer, and you have to go further, trading to get the weapons and imps etc you need takes longer, ALOT longer. when they announced WoC i had this crazy image of maybe having to do proper missions, to prove yourself to some sort of master or sensai, to get the skills, silly me, oh no, we just have to carry on doing the same shit, just for longer...

Doc Holliday
29-11-04, 04:09
*looks at screenshoots*
*sniff*

I WANT MY OLD MODEL BACK !!ONE

me too. that model with the flame pants and the dragon on the back of the jacket. that was my avatar. :cool: i fuckking miss it. :)

Vid Gamer
29-11-04, 05:00
This is why I think that we should have the old drop rules back. It means that the rare guns actually get passed around when people loose their fights. Loosing your CS does make death a scary Neocron experience.

We could have had this, but the english community was polled awhile back and the majority said no, so KK only put it on Jupiter because the Germans were the only ones who were in favor for it.

zii
29-11-04, 06:52
People are too attached to their weapons. Perhaps they should have the poll again, since that there is hopefully a greater influx of new players now and I'm sure that they'd like to see rares drop.

Carinth
29-11-04, 18:59
We could have had this, but the english community was polled awhile back and the majority said no, so KK only put it on Jupiter because the Germans were the only ones who were in favor for it.
That was for belt drops in warzones, has nothing to do with item drops instead of belts.

(eXo) Opaleye
29-11-04, 23:28
@ Jack, Doc, GaryU and some others I saw and remembered.

I have been on and off, gone and back more than a few times since my first days in NeoCrack and just got interested enough today to check the forums to see if there was a reason to log on anymore :rolleyes:

Good to see names I actually remembered and would like to see again for some kind of pluto original gangsters fun. Not that my saturn buds arent just as cool, but they dont play anymore. I sort of thought that only 2-3 people I used to hang with still played at all o_O

Gary if you are ingame again give me a yell - I will log into vent again or send me a mail. Hope to hook up with all you bad ass foos soon.

-=BlackBeard=-
30-11-04, 00:04
hehe i was in tag and mirror both kick ass clans :D anyway i agree i dont even play nc2 it just ruined nc and the simplicity

idea to kk: GIVE US NC CLASSIC

Vid Gamer
30-11-04, 00:35
That was for belt drops in warzones, has nothing to do with item drops instead of belts.

Yes, you're right.

I wouldn't mind getting rid of the safety lock on slot 1 and having a random item drop. Would make NC more exciting and would work since we just started over.

Carinth
30-11-04, 00:57
I wouldn't be so quick to want nc1 back or even early nc1 back, they had their own share of problems. Most of it is nostalgia, there was a lot to bitch/complain about back then. It was just that we were new and could forgive kk for their faults.

I think it should be looked into what exactly made the game so much more fun back then. I can think of a few things off the top of my head, but they'd be difficult to incoporate now because the game has changed so much.

The biggest mistake was specialization, the reason I got hooked on Neocron in the first place was the ability to solo or group as I wanted too. If noone was around I could go off on my own, if friends showed up we could group. That ability is really rare among mmorpgs, it was neocron's biggest selling point. Coincidently it's what I'm hooked to WoW now.

Another mistake wasn't so specific but generaly pvp became less and less fun. Lots of different things contributed to this, from zone rules to sl to ops. Even if some aspects didn't worsen, at the very least they havn't improved at all. We're using the same ops with the same layout for several years now.

Vid Gamer
30-11-04, 01:03
YES!

Either redesign the OP's or give us new ones PLEASE.