PDA

View Full Version : Has this feature been scrapped?

Seven
26-11-04, 06:19
Found this at, http://www.rpgplanet.com/neocron/guides/hacking.asp

There are also plans for hacking in the future. I'll let a quote from Martin J. Schwiezer, CEO of REAKKTOR.COM, explain it all (this and similar quotes were stated several times in the last two(!) years):

We are also working on an idea called 'HackNet' -- (that's an internal name only). It's pretty much like a DOS prompt that you can access through you CityCom terminal. From there you could do some 'real' hacking. It was also planned to give every hackable door, lock, box etc. an unique id#. This would enable a hacker to remotely hack the ICE of it. The situation: A group of guys stands in front of a door in a dungeon in the middle of nowhere. An electronic lock blocks the door and the hacker skills of the guy that came along with them simply isn't sufficient to open the door.

Now you could give your favorite hacker a call and tell him the id# of the lock. This guy goes to a CityCom terminal, enters the id# of the lock's ICE and hacks it for you. When he succeeds, the door in the dungeon (which is miles away from the hacker) opens automatically. This would be a great way for hackers to make money.

MkVenner
26-11-04, 06:34
i remember them saying that and i was like, omg thats sweet, tho i got some funny feeling its not gunna get put in :p

Birkoff
26-11-04, 06:58
When its finished.

MaGn0lia
26-11-04, 11:06
That was one of the reasons that made me leave the idea of lomming my hack away and pursue something else.
I really really hope that this will be implemented, the idea of it is just so great and I love it.

Nidhogg
26-11-04, 11:59
HackNet, as it is implemented now, has the potential to support the ability to open doors etc. in the real world. Who knows, there just might be a HackNet Theme Week at some point in the future. As for the DOS thing, would you really want to to scrap the HackNet we have now and replace it with a text input box? This is an example where KK over-delivered, not under.

N

BlackDove
26-11-04, 12:25
As for the DOS thing, would you really want to to scrap the HackNet we have now and replace it with a text input box?

Hell yes.

It's pretty shit as it is now.

Inchenzo
26-11-04, 12:40
HackNet, as it is implemented now, has the potential to support the ability to open doors etc. in the real world. Who knows, there just might be a HackNet Theme Week at some point in the future. As for the DOS thing, would you really want to to scrap the HackNet we have now and replace it with a text input box? This is an example where KK over-delivered, not under.

N

Double HELL YES !!

, triple even...

Nidhogg
26-11-04, 12:49
Heh, you're so predictable. :p

N

[VP]Orion
26-11-04, 13:13

Hacknet as it is, with the graphical interface and all, is loads better than some boring DOS interface. Hey, we got bored of DOS 10 years ago!

Hacknet is far from done though and have lots of bugs. But since the drone week showed some respectable work from KKs side, all we hacknet hackers are just waiting for that hacknet week(s) to come. ;) That would hopefully make hacknet blossom into its full potential. And that it got abundant - potential.

Xeno LARD
26-11-04, 13:18
Orion']Hacknet as it is, with the graphical interface and all, is loads better than some boring DOS interface. Hey, we got bored of DOS 10 years ago!

Hacknet is far from done though and have lots of bugs. But since the drone week showed some respectable work from KKs side, all we hacknet hackers are just waiting for that hacknet week(s) to come. ;) That would hopefully make hacknet blossom into its full potential. And that it got abundant - potential.

DOS blows, Bash terminal all the way, baby.

MaGn0lia
26-11-04, 13:25
if I could just jack in on city com and a shell like terminal pops up on my rpos when I'm near a cc, then it would totally rock over current hnet, hell they could even change hnet to be a ripoff from tron 2.0 and I still would think the shell box would be far better. As of it's "current" state and any future state it will evolve, I think hnet is inane at best, nothing in there is even midly representing that you actually are inside of a computer network, well besides the novelty names of the mobs and the 010010100101 attacks (which I think is the worst parody ever!).

Which reminds me, niddy, what are the higher TL hacktools for?

Genty
26-11-04, 13:28
and would you look at the theme week :D

ArgieD
26-11-04, 13:36

N

Nidhogg has previously gagged me and therefore we may not be the best of friends... but to be perfectly honest he's absolutely right on this one! ;)

Just my personal opinion ..

Birkoff
26-11-04, 13:38

N

I was expecting something like that VERY addictive game uplink. not jsut the same as monks in different world. I thought you would have to produce items like the ones you buy in uplink then maybe work from a DOS prompt or maybe a a small GUI depends on the software, you might have o talk to contats to get information to certain areas/factions within the hacknet.

As it is its jsut NC in a differnt world where your imp don't work, which is agood thing i may add.

I lommed my pistol spy to hacking b/c i thought hacknet was goign to be the win..... it sucks :S i lommed to vehicle use then back to pistols then rolled a new spy heh, Hacknet may have a lot of pertential as it is now but its definatly not what i was hopeing/expectng :s

ArgieD
26-11-04, 13:39

N

Nidhogg has previously gagged me and therefore we may not be the best of friends... but to be perfectly honest he's absolutely right on this one! ;)

Just my personal opinion ..

Nidhogg
26-11-04, 13:46
and would you look at the theme week :D
Well I did lay a heavy hint. ;)

N

LiL T
26-11-04, 14:43
Intresting stuff about citycoms opening doors :) perhapes they could have cameras around the city that could be hacked so you could see people and stuff

zii
26-11-04, 14:43

N

Erm, yes. Hacking from your citicom would have been great. There's nowt better than a shell prompt, eh? Although I admit that I'd prefer that you keep both the current hackup and introduce a useful hacking command prompt option.

BlackDove
26-11-04, 14:44

N

I didn't do it to spite authority if that's what you're hinting at.

Hacknet is pure shit. It wasn't worth the time invested in it. You all should have just worked on solving the fataling problem, instead of vesting time into pointless hacknet.

And yes, a DOS interface would have been much cooler, because:

a) It wouldn't try to poorly copy "The Matrix" (which is a piece of shit of a movie(s))
b) It would be closer to realism of today.

In conclusion - unless you put something in Hacknet that is worthwhile going there - it's

SHIT

Birkoff
26-11-04, 14:56
I didn't do it to spite authority if that's what you're hinting at.

Hacknet is pure shit. It wasn't worth the time invested in it. You all should have just worked on solving the fataling problem, instead of vesting time into pointless hacknet.

And yes, a DOS interface would have been much cooler, because:

a) It wouldn't try to poorly copy "The Matrix" (which is a piece of shit of a movie(s))

In conclusion - unless you put something in Hacknet that is worthwhile going there - it's

SHIT

What he said, couldn't of said it better myself.

Make a little uplink game or a command promt. WOuld be so easy to make something simple and so effective.

Nidhogg
26-11-04, 15:14
Well let's look at your two objections. First of all, anyone who didn't like the first movie really needs to be euthanised. Period. As for point b, er, haven't you noticed that Neocron isn't actually framed in a contemporary setting?

N

BlackDove
26-11-04, 15:19
The first movie was good in 1999. It sucks today along with the two other travesties. Period. Comic artists aren't good at designing or directing movies. That's the important message you get from watching those three movies.

Point 2 - No, Neocron is actually in a setting that uses Laggy City Terminals. DoY and Nuclear Winter anyone? Nuff said.

The whole hacknet theme is crapass, and in the end, a borrowed idea (or stolen, take your pick) from TEH MEJTRIXXXXX.

The fact that you're forcing me to enter it while I hack an OP should requisite for a paid plain ticket so I can come there and strangle the people who actually thought the idea was good.

I mean MY GOD.

BeaNo
26-11-04, 15:22
I was expecting something like that VERY addictive game uplink.

Holy shit what a great game that was. So so so addictive.

WarBrain
26-11-04, 16:48
just boathered with hacknet in beta...

1st time i went in : Woa so Coollll
2nd time... : boring, uninteresting, completly shit

may i add that i have a high level hacker spy and i tell u... never been in hacknet since retail started.... hell i never even played that char since retail started lol

Seven
26-11-04, 17:22
As for the DOS thing, would you really want to to scrap the HackNet we have now and replace it with a text input box? This is an example where KK over-delivered, not under.

N

They don't have to change the current Hacknet that you enter through a gen rep to a dos prompt, but rather the dos prompt or a shell would be accessed through the citycoms for hacking the doors and stuff like that.

BlackDove
26-11-04, 19:18
just boathered with hacknet in beta...

1st time i went in : Woa so Coollll
2nd time... : boring, uninteresting, completly shit

may i add that i have a high level hacker spy and i tell u... never been in hacknet since retail started.... hell i never even played that char since retail started lol

You haven't missed much. Pure shit, and 30/30 mobs hit like they're 1000/1000

Killfly
26-11-04, 22:35
Couldn't we have hacknet as is AND some kind of shell interface? Or is that just being greedy? :angel:

Xeno LARD
26-11-04, 23:47
Holy shit what a great game that was. So so so addictive.

Heh, and both that and Neocron have fucking annoying fatals :/.