PDA

View Full Version : nEW bACKPACK RETIEVAL SYSTEM

zii
25-11-04, 22:47
You know that its seldom that I really let off steam.

This new backpack retrieval system is WANK.

In the past I just left my backpack there and walked back to it. Now I die, but can't risk genrepping back to the same place because my backpack is placed automatically in my inventory, so if I get ganked again I loose anotehr item in a QB. Waste of time and the 6300credits I pay each time. Whose idea was this?

Cheers ^^

eprodigy
25-11-04, 22:53
One other thing I noticed (to add to this) now you can't tell if a dead enemy has gr'd out or logged. (Before the backback would appear when the gr'd out)

LiL T
25-11-04, 23:22
Totaly agreed with you it is W.A.N.K yes backpack removal was a good thing but automaticly retrieval is not. Lets say you get ganked you gonna want to get your belt ! so you GR and get ganked instantly losing another belt and paying out of the eye balls for it. Backpack retrieval should be done when the player choices not automatic god just wait till they fix the implant bug people will lose MC5 chips garantee it. Forced payments sucks

athon
26-11-04, 00:20
Personally I like it. And if it keeps the servers more stable, then all the better.

Athon Solo

Mr Kot
26-11-04, 01:15
One other thing I noticed (to add to this) now you can't tell if a dead enemy has gr'd out or logged. (Before the backback would appear when the gr'd out)

Is that really any of your concern? I mean, u can expect company after killing an enemy, whether he summons his clan / faction or logs an alt. Either way, don't make your little victory dance too long, but i don't see how the lack of backpack is really an issue.

Morganth
26-11-04, 01:21
Anyone retarded enough to GR into the same place they died to retrieve a belt under the new system deserves to die again, lol. (Unless they died to mobs, in which case they should be fine).

It finally makes the wastelands as dangerous as they should be, because now people can#t just die, GR back and put whatever was in QB in their first slot.

eprodigy
26-11-04, 10:55
Is that really any of your concern? I mean, u can expect company after killing an enemy, whether he summons his clan / faction or logs an alt. Either way, don't make your little victory dance too long, but i don't see how the lack of backpack is really an issue.

It came up mostly because there was a city raid and we had a ppu trying to get in to rez, we didn't know if they had given up or the dead had fataled or what. Just something i'm used to knowing ...

Xeno LARD
26-11-04, 13:25
Personally I like it. And if it keeps the servers more stable, then all the better.

Athon Solo

I would have thought you of all people would have not belived that. I fail to see how one record in a DB for where the backpack is is going to pwn the servers that much. As for FPS, I count 16 poly's to one BP. As for people saying "Oh noes, the db has to remember what items are in the bp!1!1!" Well, no I'm sorry that one's not going to work either. In the table with what items belong to who, add a '1' in the collumn for "bped", hence it's in the backpack.

Birkoff
26-11-04, 13:44
it works in your favour.
And it works againt you.

I'm guessing it jsut worked against you :)

Personally I'm not sure whcih way i preffer more. But I'm still wondering how many months its going to take KK to remove the "recover backpack" button to the gr console(probably a lot less time if ppl mention it in this manner :)).

darknessfairy
26-11-04, 13:50
Personally I'm not sure whcih way i preffer more. But I'm still wondering how many months its going to take KK to remove the "recover backpack" button to the gr console(probably a lot less time if ppl mention it in this manner :)).

lolz i was just wondering that last night. it will stay in rembrance of when we had free will.

on a side note, i like it, mainly cos im lazy. my main char is le'd so i have no problem what so ever

Agent L
26-11-04, 14:12
Now I die, but can't risk genrepping back to the same place because my backpack is placed automatically in my inventory, so if I get ganked again I loose anotehr item in a QB.
Exactly. Encourages respawning to your app/safezone.
GRing back to enemy, and running naked and impaired on a belt-race was pretty stupid.
Current system gives death more meaning.

WarBrain
26-11-04, 16:52
wich btw reminds me of something???

Anyone Noticed more server stability after they removed backpacks???

I DIDNT :D

Seven
26-11-04, 17:30
wich btw reminds me of something???

Anyone Noticed more server stability after they removed backpacks???

I DIDNT :D

No change I can see tbh. :(

-FN-
26-11-04, 20:44

Athon Solo

And so far - since I've been randomly synched into apartments, lagged out, and generally noticed absolutely NO difference in performance - there is no gain in server stability.

I'm fucking tired of being forced to stand at a GR after I tap out because my ammo which I could carry BEFORE SI now takes me to -5.

I'm tired of not being able to tell if my opponent has tapped out or logged off. People at both OPs and in the cities simply log off for a minute - the attacker(s) leave the scene because you can't fucking tell what happened to the fallen runner, and then just get rezzed or GR back to get thier belt.

Of all the GOOD ideas that have passed through here regarding death - forced camera view, time limiting on how long you can lay there, corpse 'explosion' - none of them get recognized and now we have this downgrade into a shitty death system.

Way to go KK.

Jesterthegreat
26-11-04, 21:37
it will stay in rembrance of when we had free will.

like exotic psi use being on the help screen for psi to remind us of beta? :D

Spermy
27-11-04, 00:42
I really haven't seen any noticable changes to server stability since the backpack "Feature".

Till I do - I'm erring on the side of - gimme my freakin backpack back.

WarBrain
27-11-04, 01:49
I really haven't seen any noticable changes to server stability since the backpack "Feature".

Till I do - I'm erring on the side of - gimme my freakin backpack back.

Exactly my point.
im paying 5.4k everytime i die now even if i have nothing in my inv/qbelt/implants.
and i HAVE to teleport to my apt.
and i CANT MOVE

it simply sucks.