PDA

View Full Version : epic kills aint funny when your not main dmg dealer

jnky
18-11-04, 14:48
NOT A RANT....just something I found out about epic kills

I was hunting a TS runner for my Crahn epic yesterday and after running around for a couple of hours one turned up in DOY cc.
I stalked this unfortunate runner till my timing was right then I attacked, but after starting the attack a tank (TG I think) ran from behind me and started to also attack the TS runner.
Obviously the TS died, I wasnt the main dmg dealer so all that happened was I got a massive sl and symp hit with all anticity factions :( and NO mission complete message :mad:
Therefore when having to pk for an epic make sure you are the main dmg dealer or you will pay dearly for it.
GG btw mister tank...I just hope you had been searching as long as I had for this kill ;)

Genty
18-11-04, 15:06
Harsh, I feel sorry for the TS guy more though, minding his own business then he gets attacked and killed by 2 allies. Thats got to dent your confidence.

Xeno LARD
18-11-04, 15:17
$epenis--;
:(

Koth
18-11-04, 15:22
poor guy :P

QuickFix
18-11-04, 15:24
maybe if they fixed epics to avoid killing allies?

Mr Kot
18-11-04, 15:26
Hmm, from my experience, I only had to do at least a quarter of the damage to a runner / monster to qualify for a mission. We all know this from going aggy missions as a noob that while you're slashing at one with a TL1 knife, a tank / apu blasts it to death in a second, u get no mission credit. If u are first to get there and get a good few slashes in a take a third of its health away, the tank / apu can take the other two-thirds and it still counts.

In NC1, i stalked a BD tank for my Diamond epic. I saw one having a fight with a CA tank. The BD won, but with only a small fraction of his health left. I ran in and finished the fucker with my judge and i got "Mission objective successful!" I dunno whether the coding has changed in NC2. I know that you half to do the greater proportion of damage to have loot access to monsters. This is why some epic scripts mention that you have to be the main damage dealer to the monster to get the datacube or whatever.

As for your problem, jnky, are you sure the TS was no lower than ten combat ranks below you? I don't mean while u were stalking him, i mean when u went for the kill. If the victim zoned just before u killed him, his rank may have dropped to 2/xx without you realising.

I know for a fact that killing a lvl 2 noob with a high level char loses you symp (and possibly SL) without the mission accepting the kill.

Omnituens
18-11-04, 15:29
'nuff said

Mr Kot
18-11-04, 15:32

For a start, you DON'T have to kill allies. Tsunami is no ally of Crahn. They used to be hostile, now they are only neutral. Those who pay attention to the epic storyline can see quite clearly why the kill is necessary. It is usually based on old grudges from years gone by against a former hostile faction.

Carinth
18-11-04, 17:00
For a start, you DON'T have to kill allies. Tsunami is no ally of Crahn. They used to be hostile, now they are only neutral. Those who pay attention to the epic storyline can see quite clearly why the kill is necessary. It is usually based on old grudges from years gone by against a former hostile faction.

Neutral means we don't care, if we have grudges against them then we would not be neutral. The City Mercs are neutral to almost everyone, does that mean they should be freely killing all the factions? If you did any of the doy epics you'd see how silly it is. The majority of our missions act as if we're still in nc1 with the old hostile/ally arrangement. For Tsunami's Epic we help Diamond (Hostile) and kill Black Dragons (Neutral).

Plus the entire reason TS hated Crahn was because they were moving into pepper park and had a really uptight/moral view. It's not like they're threatening us in DOY with all the free space. I can see holding a grudge with Black Dragons, as they're our bitter rivals.. but then why are we neutral?!?!?!? If we agreed to play nice in order to fight Neocron together, then why are our epics having us backstab each other?

More importantly doesn't it seem like this encourages the rampant neutral/ally killing? If the game itself tells you to treat neutrals as enemies, then attacking allies isn't that much of a stretch.

jnky
18-11-04, 18:16
1. me LVL 40 ish - same for him no zoning
2. I hit him 3x with holy halo Tank hit him with assault rifle so I must have done more then 1/4 dmg. The poor guy was dead in the time I fired off 3 halo's.

Btw I know what your all saying and I dont go around random pking so big sorry's to the TS but in my defence :-

1. I hate peeps paying for kills, the trade spam gets on my nerves and is fucking wrong imo, just kill off the rp ffs :wtf:
2. Im bloody skint I have like 50k to me name and when theres like 15 TS online then you have no chance even if I wanted to.

So sorry mister TS but I would expect the same from anyone.

And I have to say, not being a pker (though been in many op fights) it was bloody good fun :)

Genty
18-11-04, 18:19
Btw I know what your all saying and I dont go around random pking so big sorry's to the TS but in my defence :-

1. I hate peeps paying for kills, the trade spam gets on my nerves and is fucking wrong imo, just kill off the rp ffs :wtf:
2. Im bloody skint I have like 50k to me name and when theres like 15 TS online then you have no chance even if I wanted to.

So sorry mister TS but I would expect the same from anyone.

And I have to say, not being a pker (though been in many op fights) it was bloody good fun :)

I agree with your action, when needing an epic kill unless i have been looking for a person for ages, I do it off my own bat without paying for it. I just feel sorry for the TS more than you :D

jnky
18-11-04, 19:18
agreed Genty...

off topic:-

btw I'm just down the road in Hull mate Hull City > sheffield utd ;)

Genty
18-11-04, 21:10
I am origionally from York, moved to Sheffield for Uni...

and before you say it, yes i know Hull City > York City, Don't need to tell me :D We can't even compete in the Conference....

However, York > Hull in general, you know Hull is a shit hole when compared to York :p

-FN-
18-11-04, 21:45
I've been stalking BD and TG runners for the damn CityMerc Epic. I made the mistake of killing Red NPCs in DoY. Yeah... since fucking when did Red NPCs give you negative soullight? They're RED damnit :mad:

Mr Kot
18-11-04, 22:45
The City Mercs are neutral to almost everyone, does that mean they should be freely killing all the factions?

If they are ordered to, yes. Mercenaries take on "hits" from people against other people. In the Neocronicle it was mentioned that the CMs wanted to broaden their client base by taking on assignments from DoY runners, possibly against NC runners / clans / factions. That is why they severed their allies with NC factions.

CM used to be hostile to BD, but for all we know, some renegade CMs could still bear grudges, even if the two factions have agreed to let bygones be bygones.

the entire reason TS hated Crahn was because they were moving into pepper park and had a really uptight/moral view. It's not like they're threatening us in DOY with all the free space. I can see holding a grudge with Black Dragons, as they're our bitter rivals.. but then why are we neutral?!?!?!?

The reason the crahn epic requires a Tsunami kill is not based on current relations, so whether or not Crahn are threatening TS in DoY with all the free space is not really the issue here. The story goes that a band of Crahn brothers set off into the wastelands one day (NOTE: past tense :p ) to gather a precious tacholythium fragment. On route, they were ambushed and killled by some Tsunamis (possibly in the hostile old days??). Father Agnus wanted revenge against them because of this and asks that you help the brotherhood to claim as many TS lives as the Crahn lives taken that day. You are tasked with one of those kills.

You see, it's a personal grudge of one faction member, which does not necessarily reflect the views or motives of the faction in general.

As for the TS / BD relations, you may have answered your own question when u talked about "all the free space". There is no love lost between the two factions, but they tolerate each other now as they fight a common enemy and have their own turf. Of course, old personal grudges will still exist, hence your epic mission requiring you to kill a BD. I'm sure this is the same with runners too. Have any TS runners PK'ed BD in revenge for an act committed in NC1? or because they don't like that person?

As long as people in game are prepared to kill neutrals (or even allies) for whatever reason, it is feasible for faction representatives to ask the same of its runners. If u want the reward, u gotta do as the boss says :)

Carinth
19-11-04, 00:47
As for the TS / BD relations, you may have answered your own question when u talked about "all the free space". There is no love lost between the two factions, but they tolerate each other now as they fight a common enemy and have their own turf. Of course, old personal grudges will still exist, hence your epic mission requiring you to kill a BD. I'm sure this is the same with runners too. Have any TS runners PK'ed BD in revenge for an act committed in NC1? or because they don't like that person?

As long as people in game are prepared to kill neutrals (or even allies) for whatever reason, it is feasible for faction representatives to ask the same of its runners. If u want the reward, u gotta do as the boss says :)

You are assuming knowledge of nc1, which frankly doesn't exist in nc2. Where does it say why TS and BD should hate each other? It's not even written anywhere that we hate each other. But if you do the epic, it assumes you already do hate them. Seriously, 3/4 of the Tsunami epic is focused on how much we hate BD.. a neutral faction.

Do you know why the Mercs used to hate BD? A CM leader abandoned his faction to take up a prominant role in BD. Unless you played NC1 and read the background info, you wouldn't know that now. There is nothing in NC2 that would suggest Mercs have anything against BD.

The polarization of factions into just two sides required wiping most of those grudges that you think still exist. KK just didn't bother to work out new histories/explanations for why factions are where they are. They certainly didn't update the epics.

Also, how is it a personal grudge when every single crahn that wants to win favor with the faction has to adopt this same grudge? At that point the entire faction would have a grudge, which constitutes hostility. Not neutrality !

G.0.D.
19-11-04, 01:22
Car just pwned Neocron IMO

jernau
19-11-04, 03:06
For a start, you DON'T have to kill allies. Tsunami is no ally of Crahn. They used to be hostile, now they are only neutral. Those who pay attention to the epic storyline can see quite clearly why the kill is necessary. It is usually based on old grudges from years gone by against a former hostile faction.Several of the "new" epic run scripts were clearly written before the faction system got turned to shit.

The FA one is particularly bad.

Frotto
19-11-04, 16:44
why does everyone insist upon bitching about this? do the damn mission get your shiny new toy and be happy damnit!
:D

jernau
19-11-04, 19:19
why does everyone insist upon bitching about this? do the damn mission get your shiny new toy and be happy damnit!
:DSome people would like the story to have some consistency and make just a little sense ;).