PDA

View Full Version : Neocron and Catalyst/Omega drivers - what's better?

BlackDove
18-11-04, 05:38
What do you use specifically? Also if you used both, which one did you find to be better?

I'm hopefully replacing my TNT2 with a Radeon 9600pro today and I don't know shit about ATI drivers since I've been using www.nvidia.com since forever.

Anyway - what do you use and what goes best with NC tbh?

Seven
18-11-04, 09:00
I use a 9800 pro with the omega drivers.
They just seem to work better for me and look better, they also have the overclocking tool built in.

He just takes the most current Catalyst drivers and tweaks them for stability and quality.

Works for alot of us.

jnky
18-11-04, 09:17
I switched to Omega and increaced my fps from around 100 to 160ish in the wastes/doy but still drop to around 40 in plaza/doy cc.
My mem leak is still tits up but seams to be better since the last patch, and I havent crashed since then either.
Dunno about op wars havent looked for a clan yet since the move from NC1.
This is on a Sapphire 9800 pro 128 btw

Omnituens
18-11-04, 11:56
well i use the omega drivers because the last 3 drivers released by Nvidia dont work with nc+my gfx card.

I'd got omega.

BlackDove
18-11-04, 13:30
but still drop to around 40 in plaza/doy cc.

I'll be happy to get a minimum 25 anywhere really. So far I've been getting about 5 fps in P/Via zones (without the CPU grunting at new people entering the zone) :p

Anyway, I'll go with the Catalyst at first because they're official - and if it works with them, I'll just switch to Omega.

Thanks guys.

Asul
18-11-04, 13:57
Yeah dude, my i would be sooo happy too with min 25 fps :)

Anyway, I'll go with the Catalyst at first because they're official - and if it works with them, I'll just switch to Omega.

OhOh, when its offical, that not means its good... there is no hard in it, they do it because its there Job, and when it not work right, who cares? The ppl download and use it anyway!

But releases like Omega-driver are difrent, they tweak the buggs out, that the major companys dont care and lay there hard in the sofware, I had an ATI since I can remember, but the drivers were often shity... Since Omega is all divrent :D

Support the free hoby coders, they do it 4 us, not really for the money, or for the "JoB" on first place, Okay, when u get so popular like Omega, it gets busness, but 4 gamers the "Special" Driver are allways the better ones, THEY have to loose something, ATI or Nvidia dont care, like windowSuXX0rz and all the other major Companys.

Try it out, 100Nc Creditz (Terra), Omega works better (when u tune it right) ;)

Spermy
18-11-04, 14:03
I bet ya were giggling like a little girl all the way to the post office :lol:

I tried Omega - they work very well - obscenely well in some cases - but the third party bit scares me, always worried about my card doing a nut - exploding and being voided on warranty because I used Omega over catalyst.

BlackDove
18-11-04, 14:33
Actually I still haven't gone to the post office :p

Doin it in about an hour. There's tons of perparations I need to do for the new card - everything from BIOS setup (last update was 2001 O.o) to a couple of other program-y things.

Asul
18-11-04, 15:02
itz nothing bad about 3th party software, not with popular ones, just search in searchmachines what experience ppl have with the software, very often 3th party software devs beg 4 a donation (as long as the software is freeware), would you beg for a donation when u build a trojaner in your proggy or have not tested it very well? I would not :lol: !

And the garanty, I don't think they can find out that u used an 3th party driver, not for 1 card, they allways take it back and give u a new one. (Okay, when u hit it with a big heavy item and it breaks, they "could" say no :lol: ;) )

QuickFix
18-11-04, 15:28
tried the omega drivers, didnt improve anything. caused yoyo bug on zoning.

reverted to catalyst all is good now.

Rad X800

Seven
18-11-04, 18:13
BTW, re-install DirectX after installing new vid drivers.

bobleponge
18-11-04, 21:13
Desolé je parle mal anglais, mais les pilotes DNA sont les meilleures pour les cartes ATI ;)

Weazle
19-11-04, 12:56
Desolé je parle mal anglais, mais les pilotes DNA sont les meilleures pour les cartes ATI ;)

Excuse moi .... parlai vous anglais ? :)

Not to sound rude but typing French in an English forum won't be understood by everyone sorry (except maybe for the Canadians) ;)

bobleponge
19-11-04, 13:23
Sorry i very bad in english, but if you dont accept an post in french sorry.

Weazle
19-11-04, 14:06
Sorry i very bad in english, but if you dont accept an post in french sorry.

Its not that we don't accept french its that most of the readers on the english forum won't be able to understand you so you'll get ignored ;)

I've got nothing against the french so you're welcome here :D

cMz
19-11-04, 14:23
Even a badly written english sentence would be understood by more people than a french sentence I think.

reddog
19-11-04, 14:26
Translation:
Sorry i don't speak english very well, but the DNA driver are the best for ATI

Just have a bit of patience sure a good soul will translate it for you guys. don't shoot or blame em therefor :P

BlackDove
19-11-04, 16:14
Well I'm officially screwed.

I've posted this on some other websites...

I'm having problems as you might have seen from the title

Problem is in simple terms = Everything is freezing at random intervals (although not over 1min - and as I write this now I'm freezing, but I think the VPU is getting me back on track and unfreezing me).

I have removed all the Detonator drivers with the Detonator R.I.P and uninstalled them from ctrl panel.

This freezing problem has gone through

Catalyst 4.11
Catalyst 4.9
Omega (err dunno, newest ones, just downloaded).

The problem is always the same in all three instances. Thing just keeps freezing. When VPU doesn't save my ass, I have to manually reboot.

I'm a

1.4gig 266mhz Athlon Palomino
256mb 266MHZ 2100 CL-2.5 RAM
(Radeon 9600pro ADVANTAGE Sapphire 256mb 446mhz DDR memory clock - having problems [was a TNT2 user before it, but as I said, drivers completely removed])
HDD 120gig
Motherboard: AK-77pro - drivers updated (I think - installed, rebooted, didn't get problems) - but the BIOS drivers are kinda old - R1.06 (current R1.20) but since I'm a BIOS n00b, I don't know how to update them safely. I'd read the manual but it's in PDF and Acrobat doesn't work and I can't find xpdf...

user.

Anyway, I don't know what to do anymore. The mobo BIOS update I don't know how to use - doesn't come with any instructions, just an .exe file and a .bin file.

Overheating is not the problem - I'm running Hardware Monitor and MBM5 (both show exact same data, voltage = okay, CPU and Case = 45-47 Celsius respectively)

I am touching the card inside right now (case open for the moment) - the fan nearly took my finger off and the card is COLD (unlike my TNT which I can't even touch - AND THAT WORKS).

The motherboard has a max of 4x AGP - Omega (as Catalyst) allows me to use 1xAGP - 2xAGP - 4x AGP (I've tried going on 2x but same problem) - and I can turn it off...

Now with the OMEGA drivers - I can choose advanced Smart Gart options. I tested - and rebooted. Test came out with these default figures.

PCI WRITE and READ = ON

AGP WRITE = OFF
AGP READ = ON

Laimans terms - FUCKED.

Seven
19-11-04, 19:44
That freezing is caused by the mem leak in the game.
You need more ram, 256 isn't enough and it's using your swap file on the hard drive to update the game data and you get all that freezing.
I have a lap top with 256 another with 512 and a desktop with 1 gig.

The laptop with 256 ram freezes every other frame, the one with 512 is playable, but gets "some" freezing, the desktop with a gig runs very well with a slight freeze on a couple of frames when I first log in and zone, than that's it.

~edit~

Ok I just re-read your post, you weren't having this problem before you put in the new vid card?
And the only thing you changed was the vid card and drivers?

BlackDove
20-11-04, 07:50
No no. Freezing is on desktop too.

I mean like 30 seconds into being on desktop, I freeze.

However, then the VPU can put me back.

The farthest I've gotten to launching Neocron was the main menu. After that it locks, and no VPU can save me, save the reset button on the comp.

Put TNT2 back in now. I have to say I rule at setting and removing drivers tho. No conflicts whatsoever.

Anyway, no Radeon for me. Too bad.