PDA

View Full Version : GR safety bubble (si)

(eXo) Opaleye
17-11-04, 21:24
I am just curious as to what the masses think about this.

Should there be a safety zone for non-outpost GR's implemented ?

I am talking about making a runner safe in leveling areas he/she GR's into until synaptic impairment wears off by either a safe zone, if runner leaves immediate area then runner is vulnerable to attack or a timer for safety until impairment wears off.

This would not protect you from attack in the next room or as soon as you take the step off the cement gr platform but would give you a chance to use your weapon and apply buffs, or even gr the hell back out of there if you are not the type to try to "take one of them out with you" as I am. :p

Please post any other "better" ideas or flames as you feel.

naimex
17-11-04, 21:34
definitely not...

it´s part of the risk, of gring places..

it would be possible to exploit a thing like that..

.. A LOT

just no..

NEVER..

simply... bad... bad bad bad bad bad not gonna work... not at all.. ever... no way.. no no no no no...

HopesDespair
17-11-04, 21:35
I'd say no because then you'd have people stepping outside of the zone, attacking, then running back inside, etc etc

LTA
17-11-04, 21:36
I dont even think there should be SI for GR'in, SI for Death and pokes on top of that is enough of si sink for me, you should be able to come fightin it just makes you pure pk bait standing there or wastes 2 mins of your time standing around.

and i am aware that it could cause distortion by moving data from one place to another but its debatable like being pulled back from the afterlife to be fully ready bar some health which HH sorts out in a few ticks.

bounty
17-11-04, 21:38
I dont even think there should be SI for GR'in, SI for Death and pokes on top of that is enough of si sink for me, you should be able to come fightin it just makes you pure pk bait standing there or wastes 2 mins of your time standing around.

and i am aware that it could cause distortion by moving data from one place to another but its debatable like being pulled back from the afterlife to be fully ready bar some health which HH sorts out in a few ticks.

Completely disagree. People will start using GR's like they used to use pepper park. Go in fight, get close to death, GR back to apartment, GR back fight some more, GR back to the apartment. People used to do this with their techhaven apartments and it was really annoying. So no.

greendonkeyuk
17-11-04, 21:44
i dont like the safety zone aspect but a timer which wears down is a whole different kettle of fish, i hate being gr camped, its one of the shittiest things in nc. People who gr camp severely lack skill, or severely lack something for them to want to fight someone who is handicapped (ie si) so any idea which removes this "tactic" from the game gets a thumbs up from me.

donkey says two thumbs fresh!

naimex
17-11-04, 21:48
i dont like the safety zone aspect but a timer which wears down is a whole different kettle of fish, i hate being gr camped, its one of the shittiest things in nc. People who gr camp severely lack skill, or severely lack something for them to want to fight someone who is handicapped (ie si) so any idea which removes this "tactic" from the game gets a thumbs up from me.

donkey says two thumbs fresh!

even with a timer..

a person could go in...

hey look at me im immortal... oh wait...

you cant hurt me whilst the timer is on..

but hey hey hey... i can use my gun straight from gr..

and I can still kill you..

^^ get me ??

oh wait.. still.. hmm..

lets attack that outpost.. ok ill go see..

[LOOP:Begin]
*grs through*
*is immune to damage due to timer*
say_clan : about 50 guys here.. go to the other end of map.
*grs on*
[LOOP:Query]
if OP=clear{
[LOOP:End]
}else{
[Goto LOOP:Begin]
}

just to mention 2 of the probably most significant exploits with such a timer.

(eXo) Opaleye
17-11-04, 22:07
I am not voting as I am more interested in what the forum community thinks.

FYI though - I send an alt w/ le on another computer into "hostile" areas before making the jump with my main chars for the purpose of "checking the area for nib campers".

Though I have not yet been involved in any OP wars in NC2 I know this tactic is used alot for counting purposes as stated by others and a SI timer would not change this IMO, also I stated in the start that this would not be available in OP zones - just for the non OP leveling zones.

What I am looking for really is a reasonable answer to eliminate GR camping greifers for low level / solo levelers that are sure to hate the game when they get to mid levels and find that leveling is more hassle that the game is worth.

On a separate note I am soon to be looking for a good RP clan (pro-city) to join as my rl friends have permanently left the game and clan eXo is basically dead. :( send private messages if recruting pls.

giga191
17-11-04, 22:09
even with a timer..

a person could go in...

hey look at me im immortal... oh wait...

you cant hurt me whilst the timer is on..

but hey hey hey... i can use my gun straight from gr..

and I can still kill you..

^^ get me ??

Well it's their fault for GR camping

naimex
17-11-04, 22:14
FYI though - I send an alt w/ le on another computer into "hostile" areas before making the jump with my main chars for the purpose of "checking the area for nib campers".

I always just gr through and hope for the best...

I stated in the start that this would not be available in OP zones - just for the non OP leveling zones.

Yes sorry, I read that, just forgot it when I was replying.. anyways..it can still be exploited in some of the more common newbie leveling spots..

What I am looking for really is a reasonable answer to eliminate GR camping greifers for low level / solo levelers that are sure to hate the game when they get to mid levels and find that leveling is more hassle that the game is worth.

Still there is the problem that..

It wouldn´t be GR camping that would become the problem...

The problem would be totally reversed..

The person coming through the GR.. will be immortal, and can use a lower level weapon to kill a person with, whilst the timer is ticking..

Yes sure, the other person could just run away.. but even there we have a problem...

WHAT IF + Shock (glue).

and the little room with safezone where you could wait for si to go away if you wanted.. still wouldn´t prevent people from being outside that room, ready to gank you as you zone through.

So that would gain nothing, but another place for people to whine about synchs and gr camping.

Well it's their fault for GR camping

so IF you were close to a gr... for whatever reason.. because you had to go to the gogu that is close to the gr in some leveling place..

you would have no problem that a guy comes through the gr, and can freely kill you, whilst he is immortal. ?

(eXo) Opaleye
17-11-04, 22:22
The answer to that is simple:

If you attack another runner while in si timer safety then the safety is immediatly disabled and you are vulnerable to retributive attack.

naimex
17-11-04, 22:23

If you attack another runner while in si timer safety then the safety is immediatly disabled and you are vulnerable to retributive attack.

They cant even add that when it comes to Soullight and Faction symphaty..

if attacked, and kill opponent, you still lose sl and fs as if you had attacked first..

just how do you expect them to make this then

if attack, then godmode = 0

(eXo) Opaleye
17-11-04, 22:32
LOL

I'm thinking like a coder again.

If runner enter zone xx then symaptic impairment = xx% (godmode)
If runner draws weapon in synaptic impairmant then godmode off

As you can tell I CAN NOT CODE but seems to me to be the way it should go

naimex
17-11-04, 22:34
LOL

see, now we are getting somewhere

if he draws a weapon before the timer reaches 0 the godmode will go off..

A timer
and a
Weapon Drawn script

that sounds very possible.

G.0.D.
17-11-04, 22:43
I just dont like the idea for pure game mechanics...

Why should Anti/Pro City be able to gr into enemy territory and be protected by a magic GR bubble? And if theres such technology why would it only be used for GRing? It's a good idea; just not for neocron.

Seven
17-11-04, 22:47

Why not just make it so you can't use your weapon while in SI timer. ;)

Plight
17-11-04, 22:53
I posted a bit on this in a thread a while back, cant seem to find it though :rolleyes:

Anyway, my idea was a combination of the above more or less.

When you gr into an area, you gr in with the shield effect. You are invulnerable. However, while in this field, you cannot shoot either. Like being stealthed. It would be timed to expire when you reach a certain synap percent (5% perhaps). The shieldwould also be negated if you walk to far from the gr.

This solves the majority of the problems, but its not bullet proof.

The only reason the shield effect would expire would be to keep people from just running to a gr and running away (invincible) to get to wherever they want. It a group of people wants to hold a generep, they should be able to, but not as easy as shooting fish in a barrel as it is now.

Jesterthegreat
17-11-04, 23:07
the game is too carebear as it is. i vote no

Nvidia
17-11-04, 23:14
I've always loved the thrill of GRing somewhere, and crossing my fingers... hoping that I didn't fatal or long synch coming in.

If I make it past that point (;P), then I need to worry about possible people in the GR area. Do I stay next to the GR, and wait off my SI, or do I run as fast as I can as far away as I can from that spot in hopes that no one will tag my sorry ass with 17% SI?

Decisions, decisions. :)

giga191
17-11-04, 23:15
so IF you were close to a gr... for whatever reason.. because you had to go to the gogu that is close to the gr in some leveling place..

you would have no problem that a guy comes through the gr, and can freely kill you, whilst he is immortal. ?
Well the good aspect outweighs out the bad aspect

hegemon
17-11-04, 23:21
The person coming through the GR.. will be immortal, and can use a lower level weapon to kill a person with, whilst the timer is ticking..

This is very trivially solved. In at least one of the following ways:
- As soon as you wield a weapon your protection is removed.
- As soon as you move your protections is removed (voluntary movement, not being pushed).
- As soon as you attack someone your protection is removed.
- etc.

I think it would be better if the protection wouldn't be immortality, but an SL hit for the attacker. The attacker looses as much SL as the attacked person has SI. And if the person who GR:ed attacks someone before his SI wears out, the SL hit could simply be made two-way. (of course, it should only count for SI you get from GR:ing and not LOM:ing).

LTA
17-11-04, 23:21
Completely disagree. People will start using GR's like they used to use pepper park. Go in fight, get close to death, GR back to apartment, GR back fight some more, GR back to the apartment. People used to do this with their techhaven apartments and it was really annoying. So no.
Yeah they could but it will still cost them per gr i didnt say make it free just si less and if ppl had more money or there was reason to use vhcs over gr you could make the gr cost a fair bit more per gr rather than everyone using it heavily as they do.

Also ppl pretty much do what you say anyway, they sit on zone lines, some type fast enough to zone in and out their apts

naimex
17-11-04, 23:52
This is very trivially solved. In at least one of the following ways:
- As soon as you wield a weapon your protection is removed.
- As soon as you move your protections is removed (voluntary movement, not being pushed).
- As soon as you attack someone your protection is removed.
- etc.

I think it would be better if the protection wouldn't be immortality, but an SL hit for the attacker. The attacker looses as much SL as the attacked person has SI. And if the person who GR:ed attacks someone before his SI wears out, the SL hit could simply be made two-way. (of course, it should only count for SI you get from GR:ing and not LOM:ing).

LOL

see, now we are getting somewhere

if he draws a weapon before the timer reaches 0 the godmode will go off..

A timer
and a
Weapon Drawn script

that sounds very possible.

you´re too slow.

Clothing_Option
18-11-04, 00:37
God Damn Right Opaleye!!!
You Tell These Pogues What Time It Is

naimex
18-11-04, 01:11
God Damn Right Opaleye!!!
You Tell These Pogues What Time It Is

I have a clock myself.. :cool:

I can tell you what the time is... :p

the time is right here, right now : 00:11 :lol: :lol:

Birkoff
18-11-04, 03:16
I've always loved the thrill of GRing somewhere, and crossing my fingers... hoping that I didn't fatal or long synch coming in.

If I make it past that point (;P), then I need to worry about possible people in the GR area. Do I stay next to the GR, and wait off my SI, or do I run as fast as I can as far away as I can from that spot in hopes that no one will tag my sorry ass with 17% SI?

Decisions, decisions. :)

What he said :)

(eXo) Opaleye
18-11-04, 04:45
LOL @ Nvidia and other "famous" GR campers.

I knew you would give this a "no" vote but thanks for voting and even better posting. Every ones opinion counts!! :p

wombat74
18-11-04, 05:19
I'm pretty much what some folks would call a "Carebear" - I don't like playing PvP, and I'm 100% behind the rights of someone who decides they don't want to get involved in the killings. Having said that, I took my LE out when I started playing NC2 because I didn't realise that they'd removed the XP nerf from early NC1. (Didn't find out differently 'till after I topped level 30). Having done that, I now accept the risks I take - I can be PK'd, I drop shit when I die... but you know what? That's the game. Right now I get a minor adrenaline rush from GeneRepping into MB because I never know if Nvidia or some of his mates are gonna be there harvesting belts.

It's pretty simple really, *I* chose to take my LE out, *I* can choose whether to take the risk of GeneRepping to an unsecure location. You don't want to take the risk? GR somewhere else. The way things are right now you really get a true sense of danger. If I see a DoY player (obviously I'm pro-city) I know that I've got a better than average chance of having to run for my life. It's forced roleplaying, but it's definately roleplaying.

That's why a carebear voted no for the "safety bubble"

Redburn
18-11-04, 10:59

There's the fun of Neocron, how can you play if you not thinking eveytime you GR is there someone camping the GR will I be ok until the SI wears off, am I GRing into a OP battle (for those OP's that are open) when I walk out of the GR building is there a MoB just outside?

I like GRing into the Battledome and running out of the GR building right into a warbot standing there, now that is fun :lol:

MrChumble
18-11-04, 11:27
I assume idea is to try and prevent GR ganking?

As people have said, the risk of GRing is part of the game. I'd rather see a revamped SL/Faction system that discouraged noob ganking than something like this. I hate dying, but perversely love the risk of GRing.

FN's bounty thread could sort this problem out without needing such arbitrary measures.

Fafhrd
18-11-04, 11:30

how boring :-) Where's the thrill when knowing exactly what awaits you on the other side? I do understand that loosing time/stuff for beeing killed right after gr'ing is not exactly fun.

But you'll never expirience the adrenalin rush, thinking "omg, that was close", "hahaha - that nib cant even kill a runner with si", "weee, 10 HP left and that sucker is dead now - where did i put my hacktool",....

Freaky Fryd
18-11-04, 12:50
The GR could automatically cast a holy heal on you when you appear...
8|
It's not invincibility, but it could help you last a couple seconds; long enough to turn around and GR right back out if there's a guy camping...

-=BlackBeard=-
18-11-04, 13:13
b too easy to exploit so no