PDA

View Full Version : Unlimited budget - PC suggestions.

Spermy
16-11-04, 22:41
Okay - so I have in terms of computer building about 2 and a half grand to spend outta my compen money that I was awarded. (cue wubs for JMP solicitors!)

So I'm gonna be nerdy and build myself a new PC. (ONOES! He is actually capable of nerdiness!) anyhow...

I wanna be able to do my 3d work on it I gotta be able to do my photoshop - and have high end sound processing. Basically it's got to handle digital media - to an industry standard - and it's got to be rock solid.

I want to be able to do my pro work on this, not just diddle about in max and PS.

Oh. and a nice case would be cool.

Either that or buy a dell I spose. ;)

Anyhow - if you fancy - whack a few suggestions as to hardware/case etc - with links and piccies if possible.

No need for peripherals I already have a Wacom lined up along with a dual monitor rig. (Thats priced seperately! so you still have 2.5 K)

Remember - it ain't a gaming rig - it's a working rig - Money Is GBP.

EDIT - basically - I have too many choices and can't even begin to decide! HELP!

Xeno LARD
16-11-04, 22:53
Gig of 3200 RAM,
AMD 3400+ 64bit and a mobo to match,
250GB HDD (SATA),
ATI *latest version* GPU, or whatever you're partial to.
Audigy 2,
CDR + DVD-R,

17" TFT,
A keyboard + mouse.

That'll do. Feel free to buy me some DDR for my troubles :p.

QuantumDelta
17-11-04, 03:38
Sod the TFT, a nice MA203DT Prawns it.
Other than that;

RAID 0 if you're gaming, get two HDDs raid compatible and get the hardware for it.

Everything else = agreed.

Edit;
Unless you really wanna spend all of it.

If that were the case, I would say talk to TheBaron.

athon
17-11-04, 11:36
Unlimited budget? How about almost unlimited hard disk space too: http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10504

Athon Solo

phunqe
17-11-04, 13:01
* AMD Athlon64 FX-55 2600MHz/2.6GHz Socket939
* MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum Socket939 ATX
* Corsair CMX512-3200XL XMS3200 2x512Mb Dual DDR PC3200 XL
* Asus V9999Ultra Deluxe GeForce 6800Ultra 256Mb DDR3 DVI AGP or Gainward GeForce 6800Ultra 256Mb DDR3 Ultra/2600 DVI Golden Sample AGP
* Western Digital Raptor WD740GD 74Gb 10000rpm 8Mb cache S-ATA (for main disk and work, extend with Maxtor's SATA drives for more space)
* AcoustiCase AC C6607B
* Antec NeoPower 480W ATX 12v 2.0 PSU

Spermy
17-11-04, 13:12
The only issue I have at the mo is taking the high end option and having it obselete before it even gets to my door, due to the fact that they'll whang the newest bit of kit on theshelfspace my kit occupied.

Ho hum :(

I guess you get what you pay for really.

phunqe
17-11-04, 13:55
Well, it's always like that with computers really.
However, the FX-55 was just released like 1 month ago or something.

hinch
17-11-04, 15:12
Sod the TFT, a nice MA203DT Prawns it.
Other than that;

yeah i love mine :) only £300 anyway

appart from that just goto alienware and max out everything :) will set you back about 8k though

Spermy
17-11-04, 16:54
Alienware, bargepole... 10 feet...

Can't quite remember how that sentence goes...

hinch
17-11-04, 18:09
alienware > * especially twin linked gfx cards :)

Spermy
17-11-04, 18:51
I stand by my previous statement :p

*waits for a gust of wind to blow it down*

Xeno LARD
17-11-04, 19:10
Alienware, bargepole... 10 feet...

Can't quite remember how that sentence goes...

Agreed. If you have an alienware, you're a fucking moron.

Rith
17-11-04, 19:48
the following is what i just spent approx 2.5 grand on

AMD FX-55
MSI K8 Neo2 Platinum MB
2 GB Corsair XMS4000 Pro ram
Gainward GF6800 Ultra
Soundblaster Audigy 2 NX (the USB one with the external speaker connects)
Twin Western Digital Raptors 74 GB in RAID 0 configuration

Lian-Li 1100 All aluminium, silent case
520W Global Win silent PSU
Sony Aluminium DVD-ROM
Sony Aluminium DVD-RW
Sony Aluminium Floppy

Its the dogs bollocks.

Only problem I've found is heat - to use the MSI motherboard's clever overclocking features is a tad tricky unless you go for more exotic cooling as the FXs run hot (46C quiet and upto 60C in full swing). Any major overclocking and you get stability issues pretty damn quick. Same goes for the GFX card - its already over clocked and has some exotic cooling features.

That said I run FarCry with HDR switched on and all the settings maxed out in 1600x1200 rez and its slick as fuck.

Spermy
17-11-04, 20:43
*rehiterates it's not for gaming*

That said.

erm.

SPUNK.

QuantumDelta
17-11-04, 21:33
*rehiterates it's not for gaming*

That said.

erm.

SPUNK.
Unless it's for something like rendering then, it doesn't need to be high end.

Gaming is the only thing I can think of that pushes PCs to breaking point :p

Spermy
17-11-04, 21:53
Unless it's for something like rendering then, it doesn't need to be high end.

Gaming is the only thing I can think of that pushes PCs to breaking point :p

Rendering.

I'm a MAX whore...

*shame*

QuantumDelta
17-11-04, 21:59
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm You shifted my oppinion on the CPU slightly..

I don't know how the A64 FXs match up against the P4 HTs.

But basically it's gonna be one of those two.

For rendering, other than a shiznit hot graphics card, ram and hdd speed not much else matters.... (well FSB as always).

edit;

And use IRC More :p

StryfeX
17-11-04, 22:17
Spermy, you might be wise to hold off for a month or so and get a PC built around the Asus A8N that's coming out. One of the versions of the mobo will be able to handle SLI video cards. (Double the power, double the fun.)

I'd recommend getting an FX-55 along with some really good RAM (I'll hold off on offering my opinion on RAM since I don't really deal in that area ATM, but Crucial has never let me down in the past), the impending A8N SLI, and dual GeForce FX6800's. I can assure you that those won't go out of style any time soon. Think of it as a poor man's Quadro. ;)

Dual WD 74GB raptors in RAID 0 config would be the icing on the cake.

--Stryfe

athon
18-11-04, 00:43
If you want to do modelling and you've got an AMD 64, stick linux on it and use Blender - then you possibly might actually be able to take advantage of the extra 32 bits. Not to mention you can then junk together any other old PC's you have and set up a mini render farm (or a large one if you get enough PC's :D )

Do make sure you get Nvidia if you're going to do that tho (well, make sure you get nvidia anyway - only game ATI beats Nvidia on is UT2004 in DirectX mode, and you can shove that up where the sun don't shine by running UT2004 in linux, where it performs better).

And from all reports I've had, HT is worthless, just like everything else Intel create. (And Intel's are just plain crap because they spend all their time thinking up gimmicky names to makret new technologies under, while AMD just get on with making excellent CPU's).

Athon Solo

hinch
18-11-04, 02:15
LW supports 64bit extensions ofc you need a proper licensed version of lw for the patch and a 64bit os ie: windows 64 for the modeller and scene editor.

and then for rendering i'd personally setup a screamer net on a linux partition and reboot to linux todo the actual render its self as good as the internal lw render engine is alot of the 3rd party ones are better

StrongSad
19-11-04, 05:35
Athon your pretty misinformed I am afraid. I think you are forgetting the time before A64 when high end Intel CPUs slaughtered anything AMD had to offer. You are also forgetting the 2 years nvidia was playing catchup with ATI just prior to the launch of their 6800 series. Its not as black and white as you make it seem.

I loved my AthlonXP back when it couldnt compete with P4s, and I love my A64 now when it destroys all the super expensive P4EEs. I also loved my 9800pro when it was pounding the 5900s into the ground, and I still love my x800xt even though it ties the 6800ultra in performance. My point is, a lot of personal preference comes into play when choosing bewteen ati/nvidia and amd/intel.

PS- and if you choose Sabre or Matrox instead your simply a fool :p

shodanjr_gr
19-11-04, 12:28
Get the very high end Athlon 64 with a matching mobo to go.

2 Gigs of ram (run it in dual ddr)

2xNvidia 6800 cards to run em in SLI (make sure u get a mobo that supports this)

2xWD 76 gb Raptors in Raid config for extra speed (keep your os and main proggies here)

2xWD 200gb hdds for storage

a good audigy card for teh soundz

19" TFT screen for uberness and geekness

Logitech MX1000 mouse (its teh laser rat!!!)

A coolermaster stacker case to fit all those drives

A dual layer dvd-r and a very good dvd-rom drive.

If you go for ALL the above, i dont think that your budget will actually cover the cost...but it will be the UBER PC OF ALL!!! Btw get a watercooling system with a peltier and oc the cwap out of it aswell!!!

Spermy
19-11-04, 13:05
Get the very high end Athlon 64 with a matching mobo to go.

2 Gigs of ram (run it in dual ddr)

2xNvidia 6800 cards to run em in SLI (make sure u get a mobo that supports this)

2xWD 76 gb Raptors in Raid config for extra speed (keep your os and main proggies here)

2xWD 200gb hdds for storage

a good audigy card for teh soundz

19" TFT screen for uberness and geekness

Logitech MX1000 mouse (its teh laser rat!!!)

A coolermaster stacker case to fit all those drives

A dual layer dvd-r and a very good dvd-rom drive.

If you go for ALL the above, i dont think that your budget will actually cover the cost...but it will be the UBER PC OF ALL!!! Btw get a watercooling system with a peltier and oc the cwap out of it aswell!!!

Heh- scrub the Tft - I have two monitors I'm going to be using.

Got a cd/dvd rewrite drive. Also got a funky smart media bay - pretty handy.

And lose the rat - got peripherals covered.

And as for overclock.

No... *SPANKS* Rawr! :p

I think now we're getting to the point were overclocking is redundant. There's still a few cases where it's worthwhile I spose...

Anyway - I like this idea - specially because it has AMD. (grumbles *damn intel* grumbles)

I prefer ATI over Nvid, but thats purely because my uni buddy - tib, has an aunt that works for ATI and he gets them mega cheap. So I'll be comparing a few ATI cards to the nviddy.

Thanks for all your help guys - the main thing getting me was the Mobo/processor combo. It's something of a grey area for me... :lol:

Cheers guys

FatDogg
19-11-04, 20:08
19" TFT screen for uberness and geekness Go for the big one. (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/71107/wo/EW2e6UACadK73AhxTgJ1kRT2biJ/0.0.11.1.0.6.21.1.2.1.3.0.0.1.0)

athon
19-11-04, 20:15
Athon your pretty misinformed I am afraid. I think you are forgetting the time before A64 when high end Intel CPUs slaughtered anything AMD had to offer. You are also forgetting the 2 years nvidia was playing catchup with ATI just prior to the launch of their 6800 series. Its not as black and white as you make it seem.

I loved my AthlonXP back when it couldnt compete with P4s, and I love my A64 now when it destroys all the super expensive P4EEs. I also loved my 9800pro when it was pounding the 5900s into the ground, and I still love my x800xt even though it ties the 6800ultra in performance. My point is, a lot of personal preference comes into play when choosing bewteen ati/nvidia and amd/intel.

PS- and if you choose Sabre or Matrox instead your simply a fool :p
My information comes from experiance and the collective results of hundreds of reviews and benchmarks over the years. It's my opinion based on the knowledge I have. As I recall, Intel were only beating AMD for a brief period - since around the AMD K6 series AMD have generally always had the upper hand.

I respect AMD even more for the fact that they don't market their chips almost purely on a meaningless indicator such as MHz/GHz like Intel do. AMD CPU's are additionally (generally) cheaper than their Intel counterparts, giving even more value for money.

And in terms of drivers, cross-platform and OpenGL support, ATI don't even bother trying to play catchup. OpenGL is only going to become more important now that, as game develoeprs are creating Mac versions of games anyway, it gets even easier to port to Linux as well, meaning that more and more gamers will gradually move to Linux.

Athon Solo

Spermy
19-11-04, 21:30
Go for the big one. (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/71107/wo/EW2e6UACadK73AhxTgJ1kRT2biJ/0.0.11.1.0.6.21.1.2.1.3.0.0.1.0)

Your session has timed out after a period of inactivity. Please return to the Store Menu to continue shopping.

You can also order from The Apple Store by calling 1-800-MY-APPLE.
Copyright © 2004 Apple Computer, Inc. All rights reserved.
See the Help section for information on sales policies.

Indeed. :lol:

LOST
19-11-04, 23:13
get a dual G5 and do all your stuff on a mac ;) .
then you can just play games on your pc.
(flame...obscene gesure...mac ?!?!??....fook)
macs kick arse when it comes to all things and if you dont agree then your just sad (or ignorant).

Spermy
20-11-04, 00:32
Meh - they're okay.

People either hate them - because they're different - or love them because they're different - IMO they're on a par.

But no - I won't be getting a mac - purely because I'm already familiar with Max and Maya and all my other crap in a windows environment - and have no interest in getting used to new environment - whether it takes a month or a minute.

StrongSad
20-11-04, 01:44
My information comes from experiance and the collective results of hundreds of reviews and benchmarks over the years. It's my opinion based on the knowledge I have. As I recall, Intel were only beating AMD for a brief period - since around the AMD K6 series AMD have generally always had the upper hand.

I respect AMD even more for the fact that they don't market their chips almost purely on a meaningless indicator such as MHz/GHz like Intel do. AMD CPU's are additionally (generally) cheaper than their Intel counterparts, giving even more value for money.

And in terms of drivers, cross-platform and OpenGL support, ATI don't even bother trying to play catchup. OpenGL is only going to become more important now that, as game develoeprs are creating Mac versions of games anyway, it gets even easier to port to Linux as well, meaning that more and more gamers will gradually move to Linux.

Athon Solo

Uhh well thats wrong. Sorry to be so direct. I dont know how your going to tell me that before the A64 AthlonXPs were beating P4s, they werent. If you refused to accept that then I guess your getting the reviews from www.amdrox.com. Meaningless indicator? They sell their cpus based on WHAT SPEED THEY RUN AT. If I am not mistaken, AMD is the company that gives their CPUs meaningless indicators which as supposed to compare said chip to a comparable Intel cpu. IE a 2400+ AMD cpu is 'supposed' to be as fast a 2.4ghz Intel cpu. The reason AMD cpus have generally been cheaper than Intel for the last few years is that fact that AMD cpus could never quite compete with Intel cpus and therefore it would be pointless to competetively market them with a superior product. Just recently has AMD began to increase the price on their flagship cpus because they are able to do so.

Im not to sure why you think ATi has 'bad' drivers. Ever since the release of the 9700pro catalyst drivers have been top-notch and nvidia was the company playing catchup. Remember the 5800ultra fiasco? More than a year to produce an inferior product to the still king 9700pro? Do you recall how HORRIBLE the drivers nvidia had then? Maybe the futuremark cheats ring a bell, or the discovery that nvidia drivers were turning off visual effects to increase performance.

As I see it OpenGL is important, but not nearly as much as DX. Name one major recent OpenGL engine besides doom3. Then which company has the correct focus? Finally, in case you forgot, ATi released a version of driver mere weeks after the launch of Doom3 dubed the "Doom Drivers". They released these specifically to address performance lag in Doom3. That sounds like pretty good OpenGL support to me.

Anyway, Spermy. Get an AMD FX-55 and whatever motherboard you feel is the best. Personally, I love DFI/Epox/Abit. Asus is a big name but doesnt quite cut when compared to others, if you ask me. I have owned them all. Check out www.hardocp.com for motherboard reviews. They not only do game benchmark but run other software benchmarks like decoding/encoding for example. That should help you find the right board.

jernau
20-11-04, 17:07
Athon your pretty misinformed I am afraid. I think you are forgetting the time before A64 when high end Intel CPUs slaughtered anything AMD had to offer. Since the K5 Intel have NEVER been ahead of AMD either clock-for-clock or on bangs-per-buck.

AMD's prices have been increasing in relation to Intel since the Athlon launched a) becuase their brand has constantly strengthened due to the fact their product was consistently better. It's all about marketing, nothing more.

ATI drivers were utter shit, now they are less shit.

@Spermy - If you are planning on rendering/video work go Dual CPU. There is an SMP version of the NForce4 chipset - get that from whoever your favourite mobo maker is and slap whatever CPUs you want in it. It should also support SLI so you can either go for utter madness gfx-wise now or have a very nice upgrade option there in a year or so. Get 6800 Ultra(s) obviously - Gainward are generally good and their warranty is awesome.

Get fast branded memory but don't believe the hype about the really expensive stuff - go for whatever the people you get the mobo from offer/recommend. Get at least 2 Gb if you are serious about rendering. "Too much" isn't possible.

I wouldn't bother with RAID but I would get 2 disks - one for OS and Apps and the other for swap/scratch disks. Put them on seperate controllers. Photoshop in particular really needs this in order to not chug.

Sorry I can't recommend specific parts but I don't recommend things I haven't actually used personally and in this case I haven't yet.

With all that you'll need a very good case to lose the heat and noise but I tend to make my own as I have yet to see a single PC case design that I would rate better than "poor".

QuantumDelta
20-11-04, 20:54
Erm....Jernau posted scarily close to what I was going to post, I read over it in topic review after I hit reply o_O

I completely agree.
Intel has been losing for a long time, technologically, however because Intel have been around for ages and have all the industry ties, the money of the past, and therefore the marketing, the pc noobs buy that.

The only other reason you would need to buy a CPU from Intel is if you were GENUINELY only interested in CPU clock cycles.
It's hard to find things that the average punter would use an Intel over a AMD for.

Even companies would now consider A64 with a linux box to do the stuff intels of the past would have.

naimex
20-11-04, 21:18
Erm....Jernau posted scarily close to what I was going to post, I read over it in topic review after I hit reply o_O

I completely agree.
Intel has been losing for a long time, technologically, however because Intel have been around for ages and have all the industry ties, the money of the past, and therefore the marketing, the pc noobs buy that.

The only other reason you would need to buy a CPU from Intel is if you were GENUINELY only interested in CPU clock cycles.
It's hard to find things that the average punter would use an Intel over a AMD for.

Even companies would now consider A64 with a linux box to do the stuff intels of the past would have.

:)

I wouldn“t put an AMD in my computer.... ever...

*scanning target naimex*
*scanning ...*
*scanning ...*
*scanning ...*
*Implant found : Intel-Brainwashing Chip XPRI-Mental 3*

AMD IS FOR THE WEAK..

POWER TO INTEL.

:INTEL:INTEL:INTEL:INTEL:INTEL:INTEL:INTEL:INTEL:INTEL:INTEL:

Spermy
20-11-04, 21:29
Indeed.

FatDogg
20-11-04, 22:31
damn, it was a link to the new 30" hd mac screen

athon
21-11-04, 04:55
get a dual G5 and do all your stuff on a mac ;) .
then you can just play games on your pc.
macs kick arse when it comes to all things and if you dont agree then your just sad (or ignorant).
Yes.. and that's why Apple's ad claiming they have the fastest desktop computer in the world was forcibly pulled from UK TV screens by the ASA.

Athon Solo

Xeno LARD
21-11-04, 05:53
:)

I wouldn“t put an AMD in my computer.... ever...

*scanning target naimex*
*scanning ...*
*scanning ...*
*scanning ...*
*Implant found : Intel-Brainwashing Chip XPRI-Mental 3*

AMD IS FOR THE WEAK..

POWER TO INTEL.

:INTEL:INTEL:INTEL:INTEL:INTEL:INTEL:INTEL:INTEL:INTEL:INTEL:

KILL KILL KILL KILL

<twat>OMG KOS!1!1!!!!!</twat>

reddog
22-11-04, 09:30
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm You shifted my oppinion on the CPU slightly..

I don't know how the A64 FXs match up against the P4 HTs.

But basically it's gonna be one of those two.

For rendering, other than a shiznit hot graphics card, ram and hdd speed not much else matters.... (well FSB as always).

edit;

And use IRC More :p

If you're talking about normal HT think the amd will do better due to his AMD 3D Now extensions.

tho if you talk about the extreme edition then you might consider the intel. they do also have special gfx extensions. but then your talking about a cpu that will cost 2 - 3 time the price of the amd. but like you said in another post pure on clock cycles the intel will perform better. If its worth the more cost is another question

jernau
22-11-04, 16:21
pure on clock cycles the intel will perform better.
:confused: :wtf:

I would really NOT recommend the Emergency Edition. It's a gruesome desperate hack of a chip with a laughable price-tag.

dem0n
22-11-04, 16:35
I'd suggest that you don't go for dell, mainly because theyr fucked up and you can't do crap in their bios. I'd also go for Intel rather than AMD, although with AMD you can negate the factory settings of the multiplyer and get a faster cpu period. to achieve best results get Zelman coolers and mess around as much as you like :D.

jernau
22-11-04, 16:39
I'd suggest that you don't go for dell, mainly because theyr fucked up and you can't do crap in their bios. I'd also go for Intel rather than AMD, although with AMD you can negate the factory settings of the multiplyer and get a faster cpu timeframe. to achieve best results get Zelman coolers and mess around as much as you like :D.You're assuming he wants to overclock it.

What would be the point if he can afford to just buy the PC he wants?

I agree on branded boxes though, if you want maximum performance you want a custom build.

dem0n
22-11-04, 17:02
You're assuming he wants to overclock it.

What would be the point if he can afford to just buy the PC he wants?

I agree on branded boxes though, if you want maximum performance you want a custom build.

well sooner or later he'll want to push the limits of his hardware, performance is everything. branded PC's are more stable, yes, but considering that such companies don't want to ever see you trying to replace some components because they've failed under the stress on which you've put them [raising the FSB, messing with the voltages, bad cooling and large exhausts], they utterly minimize the flexibility you can achive with your computer. yes in some cases theyr right... but at most... not.

I always go for intel, asus, kingstone, nvidia, creative labs, maxtor and their products.

jernau
22-11-04, 17:11
Unless someone knows exactly what they are doing and can afford to replace their PC if it screws up I would never recommend overclocking.

With the money he has to spend he should have no need for a couple of percent of possible boost now and in a year or two when he comes to upgrade again it's unlikely that it will offer a realistic improvement.

Much better to buy an SMP/SLI capable board and add a CPU/GPU at a later date. Better yet get them now and have a really nice rig :D.

dem0n
22-11-04, 17:13
I'd buy 2 PCs, one to mess with and the other [+the old one] as servers and swap space... and put them in that sexy looking HP closet with a REK :O OMG!

jernau
22-11-04, 17:15
I'd buy 2 PCs, one to mess with and the other [+the old one] as servers and swap space... and put them in that sexy looking HP closet with a REK :O OMG!
No man should be limited to one computer, that's true.

One other thing - If you are getting a soundcard (as opposed to using the onboard) get an external one. Internal ones are flawed from the get-go.

dem0n
22-11-04, 17:33
No man should be limited to one computer, that's true.

One other thing - If you are getting a soundcard (as opposed to using the onboard) get an external one. Internal ones are flawed from the get-go.

not to mention external ones get a remote control, optical and instrumental ends ;), and theyr not too expensive. theres a cool creative labs one here [not sure which model name], and it's around 150 pounds.

Spermy
22-11-04, 17:58
Cheque should be here soon - I can almost smell it!

<Giddyschoolgirl> OH EM GEE!!!!</Giddyschoolgirl>

dem0n
22-11-04, 20:18
Cheque should be here soon - I can almost smell it!

<Giddyschoolgirl> OH EM GEE!!!!</Giddyschoolgirl>

gl m8 with the new PC... also might I suggest something?

my friend bought a huge black leather chair, something in which corporate directors sit in [he really spilled a lot of $$$ for it]. anyway he drilled in a few holes on the right arm chair and attached a square black woodn' board [it looks really cool]. now with his new bluetooth hub he just leans back... his wireless keyboard on the legs, right arm comfortably streched out on the arm chair and the wireless mouse in his hands.........

custom made furniture == teh win....