PDA

View Full Version : Half Life 2 ---- Still on for the planned release date?

shodanjr_gr
15-11-04, 01:35
Is Half Life 2 still on for the planned release date?

Have preorders started shipping?

Did a vile monkey steal the source code once again?

Whats going on? Im done with HALO 2, i need another game!!!!

-Demon-
15-11-04, 01:51
Saw ad on sky one here in th uk tonight saying from stores on Tuesday so I guess it's ready to go finally.

I haven't ordered it yet..planning to just buy it either online or from a shop.

OpTi
15-11-04, 02:02
half life 2 is in stores right now, think it arrived on fri or sat cuz i saw it arrive along with NFSU2 where i work.

Ozzon
15-11-04, 02:38
HL2 will be released in 31 hours... :)

hinch
15-11-04, 02:48
16th in uk i believe

valve say its ready for release and people have already bought the boxed version in stores but vivendi are blocking its release saying "its not shipping yet"

even though its available and are threatening to sue valve if valve activate hl2 steam authentication (you cannot play hl2 if you dont have a net connection of some kind)

Phlith
15-11-04, 05:06
hl2 better release on the 16th because if it doesnt im going to slit my wrists.

Opar
15-11-04, 09:46
16th in uk i believe

valve say its ready for release and people have already bought the boxed version in stores but vivendi are blocking its release saying "its not shipping yet"

even though its available and are threatening to sue valve if valve activate hl2 steam authentication (you cannot play hl2 if you dont have a net connection of some kind)

Did Vivendi not sue Valve a few years ago? There's been a lawsuit running between the two for years. Valave has like, 7 lawyers working on it 24/7.....

Omnituens
15-11-04, 10:04
my days off this week are tuesday and wednesday.

id say its fate.

Ninjada
15-11-04, 10:07
it in german but i think it will help you, klick meh
(http://adserver.freenet.de/Ads/vivendi/2004001914/full/ban_468_60_du.swf)

Omnituens
15-11-04, 10:21
PHL says 16th Nov

Steam hasnt unlocked it yet

so im guessing its 16th

Logan_storm_03
15-11-04, 12:52
which is better?

Halflife2 or Halo2

i need to settle it for a afew mates who im having a augement withs :P

Im going with Halflife :p

shodanjr_gr
15-11-04, 13:16
It wont do you any good comparing. The one is a console game the other is a pc one. I enjoyed Halo 2 a lot (although it was a bit on the short side) and i really hope to enjoy Half Life 2 as well.

On another note, i popped by all the local software stores in my area, all of em are hoping to get the game within the week but none are sure about a Nov. 16 release date :(

I really really hope they get the game tomorrow

Spermy
15-11-04, 15:26
Meh - I'll wait till the rush dies down - just got my hands on the doom3 SDK so will be having fun with the lighting in that. (Don't ask... I'm a lighting effects fanboi... and the Doom3 lighting is the sex - not positioning - How it works...)

So when I'm done messing with that - strap yourself in gordon - you're on a one way trip to hell! :D

shodanjr_gr
15-11-04, 23:37
ITS ON ITS WAY TO MY MAIL BOX!!! God bless play.com :)

Hell-demon
16-11-04, 00:03
Its out tomorrow theres ads being played on Tv too :eek:

Im waitin' for Vampire the masquerade: Bloodlines..but meh its all good!

MrChumble
16-11-04, 00:47
It's out in approx 7 hrs 13 mins and 48 seconds. Or so.

The real question isn't "do I pull a sickie", it's "how many days do I take off"?

Phlith
16-11-04, 02:02
If you take work off to play a video game your a pathetic loser who should die in a fire. On the other hand, if you belive halo2 can even be compared to the greatness which is hl, then again, you should die in a fire.

hinch
16-11-04, 02:44
halo 2 > hl2 end of story tbh :)

sales story community you name it :)

only reason HL did so well was because of CS and its general modability

shodanjr_gr
16-11-04, 03:00
If you take work off to play a video game your a pathetic loser who should die in a fire

If you call people names for pursuing their hobby your a pathetic loser who should die in a fire.

QuantumDelta
16-11-04, 03:49

Oppinion.
Though I'm not gonna get into a argument over you with it, pointless.

Birkoff
16-11-04, 03:54

You joking arn't you hinch.... why am i even typing this course your joking.... right... ? :s *looks worried*

Terayon
16-11-04, 08:49
Halo 2 is a great game to play on lans and stuff, but i hated the single player. That and its a console game. I hated the friggin retarded stubby aliens your suposed to kill. And all the realy bright colours everywhere. It was like some kind of friggin rainbow. Besides im not so much looking forward to hl2 so much as the amazing mods people are developing for it.

hinch
16-11-04, 12:27
going on reviews sales figures and sheer amount of players online

ignoreing the fact that h2 is on a minority platform for starters

then h2>hl2 the public has spoken and theres more h2 players than hl2 players

Siygess
16-11-04, 12:48
H2 probably does own HL2, but then, what do console owners know? :D

The thing is, console games tend to span genres and aim to appeal to all players.. take GTA:SA and H2 as examples. If you have the console, you'll buy those games because they are the games to have. On the other hand, PC gamers tend to be more selective. Rome Total War is being hailed as a brilliant game, but I won't touch it because it's an off shoot of the RTS genre.

So yeah, HL2 is bound to sell fewer copies, but if I had my own X-Box, I know that I'd rather play a game with a strong SP element and great mod potential than a game that is selling well thanks to it's MP. Though I haven't played H2 MP yet, I seriously doubt that it offers anything massively different from, say, UT2k4 other than the accessibility inherant in most console games.

Bah. And to think I'm stuck here at work for another seven hours while HL 2 sits on my PC, unlocked and ready to play.

Bah I say. Bah!

Max Jefferson
16-11-04, 13:20
Half life 2 was release at 8:00am GMT this morning on steam. I've been playing it since then, and have to say, I'm liking it, especially all the cool physics based puzzles. :)

Any other first impressions?

nobby
16-11-04, 13:24
ah so it is working....yay!
right well anyway, i have to put up with my fucking school!

Tyr
16-11-04, 13:25
Threads merged.

nobby
16-11-04, 13:29
hehe, just noticed that!

hinch
16-11-04, 14:26
yeah hl2 is working been playing for 2 hours looks nice but pity the ai is shite

Xian
16-11-04, 14:39

Your opinion.

HL2 is barely out - how the hell can you tell how much it's sold in a fair comparison to Halo 2? Oh, and the shit community will be there soon enough. It's not exclusive to any one game, it's an internet gaming related disease.

It's not the only reason, but one of the deciding factors. The first Half-Life wasn't bad.

The fact that the original HL could be modded so much made it extremely versatile, I for one would love to see loads of mods made for HL2 to show the games potential in different areas. Plus there's so much more to work with now.

nobby
16-11-04, 14:51
yeah hl2 is working been playing for 2 hours looks nice but pity the ai is shite

they did say about that in PC gamer, so what's the the prob with your opinion (remember i havn't played it yet).

Opar
16-11-04, 17:23
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! FUCK!!!!!!! I ordered from Amazon, I chose cheap delivery instead of 1 day delivery. I have to wait 4 more days now.

Dribble Joy
16-11-04, 17:32
The key to HLs/CSs sucsess is the engine. Before it there wasn't really anything other than the 2-and-a-half-D shooters like Doom and Duke3D.
It was a complete revelation in gameplay and adaptability. That and an actual storyline (though not much compared to today's games), which was at the time something of a new/uncommon thing (especially in FPSs).
CS was a massive sucsess again, mostly because it was completely new, it was the first of it's kind in reality, there was the TEN thing that DN3D and others ran on, but it was so much more acessable.

I'm probably talking out my arse here, I am far from an expert, so I shall stop there.

Opar
16-11-04, 17:38
Half Life used a modified version of the Quake engine. Was hardly revelutionary.....

shodanjr_gr
16-11-04, 18:06
IT arrived today at Greek retailers!!!! And it shipped yesterday from play.com that means it should be here by Thursday THE EARLIEST!!! Arg, THE PAIN!!!! Im actually thinking of byuing it tomorrow and having 2 copies of it....

hinch
16-11-04, 18:35
ok hl2 AI is stupid

really stupid

so far i've been able to trap almost everything and get them stuck into objects eg: cars vans radio masts chimney towers (when you get to the thing attacking you when your on the hover bike you'll know what i mean)

also the combine troop AI is kinda stupid they attack whoever does most damage to them so just run in circles they shoot each other then you just sit back and watch them kill each other oO

just about to complete the highway level not sure how far through the game it is

Clownst0pper
16-11-04, 18:47
Wonder where they went wrong with the AI seen as the originals was amazing..

Unlocking HL2 game files....

fucking Steam

Opar
16-11-04, 19:12
According to PC Zone, they only bad bit of AI they came accross was your team-mates AI, like the rebels.

QuantumDelta
16-11-04, 20:26
Wonder where they went wrong with the AI seen as the originals was amazing..

Unlocking HL2 game files....

fucking Steam
No.
No it wasn't.

As for steam, even a reinstall can't always fix that.
There's a specific file in your steam folder you need to delete, sorry for not remembering it as I haven't had the problem myself :|

Ozambabbaz
16-11-04, 22:06
clientregistry.blob in ur steam folder, tho it's most likely steam network getting hammered. last 48 hrs measures an average of 10 GBit/sec from the content servers :)

nobby
16-11-04, 23:21
erm...the half life source...just loaded it up....whats the fucking difference!?!
i was hoping for some great multiplayer action or something!

Opar
16-11-04, 23:22
erm...the half life source...just loaded it up....whats the fucking difference!?!
i was hoping for some great multiplayer action or something!

Dynamic lighting, shiney water effects and 'optimized' textures..... a bit like Neocron 2 :rolleyes:

nobby
17-11-04, 00:05
*hmph* that it...god...noooo :mad:

bah!

hinch
17-11-04, 00:41
stuck on entanglement oO

guessing 3 or 4 lvls from end its had 6 hours out of me today it can have 3 more tomrrow

DigestiveBiscui
17-11-04, 01:49
my HL2 doesnt even run right

it can run in window mode fine - but not in full screen - so i change my screen size settings and make window mode fit :p

i dunno why it doesnt work in full screen though, it gives me one of the very odl steam bugs saying that my memory could not be read

hinch
17-11-04, 10:31
thats a steam bug cant remember the fix its something like delete all the game .pak files or something (dont do this incase im wrong :) ) so it can re stream it all to you.

check forums for fix

now anyone got as far as entanglement yet? i need help :)

Opar
17-11-04, 18:00
Holy shit dudes. Half Life 2 has landed on Opars computer, and is installing now.

hinch
17-11-04, 18:11
you'll get bored by time you get to the lvl im on

its really starting to annoy me now i just want the game to finish

Dribble Joy
17-11-04, 19:45
OK, I bimbled to the the local GAME in order to purchase a copy of HL2.
Only to find it is on DVD only.
Now, I have a DVD drive, but for the last.... 8 months it has not recognised DVDs, only CDs.
Which is a pain.
Any ideas?

If all else fails where do you DL it from? (the steam thingy).

shodanjr_gr
17-11-04, 20:50
I believe that there is a 6 cd version of it outthere...ive seen photos of it.

hinch
17-11-04, 20:57
install steam

Dribble Joy
17-11-04, 21:14
install steam
Sounds daft... but how?

Maester Seymour
17-11-04, 21:29
Sounds daft... but how?
http://www.steampowered.com/index.php?area=getsteamnow

Should be able to get it there m8. :)

ZyproN
17-11-04, 21:34
[ edited ]

Opar
17-11-04, 23:16
Okay, I haven't played much of the game yet. But im far enough in to realise, this is one of, if not the, the best game ever. There are no adequate superlatives to describe how much of a beautiful, action-packed expirience this game gives, even after just 3 hours. The pacing, so far, has been beautiful. The start of the game, where you are weaponless and being chased around the rooftops by combine, brilliant.

hinch
18-11-04, 02:06
steam isnt realy a copy protection system although people assume thats what it is.

its a broadband content distro platform.
its also to ensure consistency between client files and what should be the origional files eg: no ogc for things like CS via VAC

hinch
18-11-04, 02:10
lol opar fanboi alert (insert h2 sucks hl2 roxxxx comment here)

trust me you'll soon get bored and i was quite a big fan of hl1

shodanjr_gr
18-11-04, 02:17
[ edited ]

QuantumDelta
18-11-04, 02:49
Opposite way around for me Hinch.

Regardless of HL2s quality I was never buying H2.
Not after playing it in september.

Opar
18-11-04, 09:35
lol opar fanboi alert (insert h2 sucks hl2 roxxxx comment here)

trust me you'll soon get bored and i was quite a big fan of hl1

Why did you use the <insert fanboi comment> in YOUR post? If you were to use it at alll, should you not use it in a seperarate post/or paragraph,
mocking me? It would make me feel so much better.

I'm yet to get bored of the game. Im not very far through, I just got into Ravenholm, but this game is mind-blowing. Prepare for proper use of the <insert XXXXX comment>

[Edited]

Oh well, ban for me.

hinch
18-11-04, 10:54
i didnt say you had already got bored of it i said you would get bored of it.

its as i susspected tbh all looks and no game play

i enjoyed hl because it was fast and did look relativly good for its time.

hl2 is all looks so much so that it just takes ages loading between levels because its loading so much. and the 60 second auto save makes the game jutter

Cruiser
18-11-04, 15:01
finished it 1am today.. not bad really. Im a fanboi of like big visual effects stuff like the mass spec in the origional halflife but theres nothing really that great in hl2. Trust me your gona love the zero point grav gun towards the end :) only took me about 9hours to finish all 75 maps. Load times a a little long (for me about 30sec) but my biggest problem is the auto save feature because every 60 seconds it saves and u get a little hang. THis wouldnt be a problem if you wernt fighting but when you are its damn annyoing.

hinch
18-11-04, 15:22
yeah auto save is my major gripe too and i cant remove it

i loved the bit where your going through the citadel on the thingie just like the train journey in hl1

anyway

im in the citadel how much more have i got to go not played it at all yesturday cos i just couldnt be bothered with it its starting to annoy me that its too long.

having said that i still have an hour and a half of playtime to complete it in to say i completed hl2 faster than h2

h2 is deffo alot harder than hl2 though

Cruiser
18-11-04, 15:32
Id say about an hour left depending on how long it takes you to figure out how to climb the citadel gateway thingy.

hinch
18-11-04, 16:00
well lets see

i went in the citadel got all my shit nicked i took the journey

ran around abit killed lots of peeps

now im stuck in a room with a circular platform and a hollow middle to it 2 doors in enclosed with fields stopping me from going through

i pushed teh switch now just an endless stream of combine troops are coming at me and im shooting the energy balls at them but i cant find the way out of this room after pressing the switch

Cruiser
18-11-04, 16:08
the hollow middle is a lift, i take it there is a supression feild around it so i think you got to press the button again and bring it down.

hinch
18-11-04, 16:14
ahh haa :)

will try that tonight

hinch
18-11-04, 21:06
you could have told me it was lke 10 minutes from the end not an hour oO

oh well completed it

and people said halo 2's ending was a bad cliff hanger

HL2 ending is well shite.

nobby
19-11-04, 15:15
ta for spoiling it...

btw, is that blue hydra in the game?

hinch
19-11-04, 15:34
no its not it was simply bumpf put in for press and hype

bottom line its not the game it was made out to be

Opar
19-11-04, 20:25
Hinch, are you out of your mind? This game is so much better than anything else thats ever been released, its insane. Your the ONLY person i've so far with such a 'oh my god. this game blows.' attitude. Lighten up. You seem to be so caught up in trying to make a 'critical game reviewer/h2 fanboi/hard man/cock' that you are not letting yourself see through the games minor (and few) flaws, thus making it impossible for you to enjoy it.

You have to put something in, to get something it.

DigestiveBiscui
19-11-04, 20:38
to honest

HL2 is great

hinch - you're just being a fussy slut

ZyproN
19-11-04, 20:48
HL2 a Great game the gfx is nice at my new Alienware.

The great is a succes only couse of hl1 and cs, thats why so many people are buying it, if it wasn't for hl1 and cs it would never been this much popular.

Opar
20-11-04, 10:06
HL2 a Great game the gfx is nice at my new Alienware.

The great is a succes only couse of hl1 and cs, thats why so many people are buying it, if it wasn't for hl1 and cs it would never been this much popular.

It would still be a bloody good game.

tbh, I think that most of the review scores are 2% hype, 95% everything else (or whatever the reviewer gave it)

Jesterthegreat
20-11-04, 12:38
It would still be a bloody good game.

tbh, I think that most of the review scores are 2% hype, 95% everything else (or whatever the reviewer gave it)

with a game thjis hyped up the reviews are never 2% hype.

ZyproN
22-11-04, 13:40
Its suck you can complete the game in 2-3 days if you ONLY play a bit when you come home from school.

Hl2 isn't going to be big as CS/Hl1 atm couse CPL removed it from the next cup and Clanbase did the same.

hinch
22-11-04, 16:55
bottom line hl2 sucks only good thing about hl2 is i got cs:source with it

thank god for CS

ok so im kinda spoiled i played hl1 cs ns dod to absolute death both as amature and as pro but hl2 just doesnt grab me same as doom 3 didnt grab me it was good to play through once but i cant see me reinstalling farcry was identical.

i can kinda wave a finger in the general direction of the problem
"all gloss no shine"
if you dont understand that then i'll explain
all gfx and no gameplay.
hl2 is perfect case in point. it looks superb it runs superb it has a great physics and particle system for effects BUT the game its self is crap its a run through once and delete job. it took less time to complete hl2 than it did to complete d3 and h2. (each ofc not combined).
i was really really looking forward to hl2 having been such a big fan of hl1 and valve that when i finally got it i was like w00t for the first 2 or 3 levels then i was like zzz this is starting to become a chore to play.
by time i completed it i was actually glad i didnt have to play it anymore to complete it and the ending was a serious let down.

in valve's own words "it'll explain who the gman is and who he works for etc"
now stop me if i miss this point WHO THE FUCK IS GMAN AND WHO IS HE WORKING FOR.

in hl1 it was pretty much explained he worked for the governent and conducted the hl1 problem to bring the aliens to earth in the first place. that bit is fine but it just doesnt explain what he has todo in hl2.

meh anyway ranting

its not what it should have been
its not what it was promised to be
its a let down.

MkVenner
22-11-04, 18:28
The actual gameplay it's self was cool, like shooting people up ontop a building with the magnum and watching them fall, the physics are amazing, but the story line left WAY too many unanswered questions, but hey, mebbe valve just wanna make sure we get HL3 to see if it answeres those questions

myself, i wanna see an OF2, with shepard working for the G Man, set during the week Freeman was MIA in the teleporter :p

SyncError
22-11-04, 18:57
Just got done playing through Half-Life 2.

Complete let down.

No, not the ending. The game. Much of the art was beautiful and I will admit that they made good USE out of the new physics, requiring you to move objects around to be able to climb to other areas or to break through walls, but... ...that's about where the fun ends. The story wasn't too exciting, the game is not that long or difficult, and the new wonderful source physics actually have a lot of errors:

Many, if not all, pushed carts have no momentum, at all. They come to a complete stop the second you stop pushing on them.
I found it easier to move cement blocks than to knock over empty bottles.
I saw a barrel that I knocked over, roll through a bottle without the bottle being knocked over... make that without the bottle even MOVING.
Many crates shatter on all sides (demolishing the crate) instead of just the side that they were impacted on (demolishing the impacted panel).

...all in all, you know how much people loved Doom 3 when it came out and how many now say "Ho Hum" about it? Half-life 2 gave me that impression after the first day of game play. Doom 3 was a much better game, better story, more entertaining cut scenes, and overall a better product. At least that's my opinion.

Now it comes down to the battle of the SDKs, to see what modders do with both Doom 3 and Half-Life 2, but there Doom has the advantage again, because id packaged all of their physics code into their SDK so that people can alter it, while the Half-Life 2 SDK will not contain any physics code for the Source engine, so you're stuck with all the bugs that exist in the Source physics engine, and they do exist.

Bring on Quake 4. =)

Jesterthegreat
23-11-04, 00:03
The actual gameplay it's self was cool, like shooting people up ontop a building with the magnum and watching them fall, the physics are amazing, but the story line left WAY too many unanswered questions, but hey, mebbe valve just wanna make sure we get HL3 to see if it answeres those questions

myself, i wanna see an OF2, with shepard working for the G Man, set during the week Freeman was MIA in the teleporter :p

im stil lwishing TFC2 hadnt been canned :(

MkVenner
23-11-04, 00:35
im stil lwishing TFC2 hadnt been canned :(
you and me both

shodanjr_gr
23-11-04, 03:06
Half Life 2 ROX!!!! I am at the prison thingie level atm. How far from the end is that?

I love this game :)

Opar
23-11-04, 10:43
Half Life 2 ROX!!!! I am at the prison thingie level atm. How far from the end is that?

I love this game :)

I think thats chapter 9 or 10 out of 14. I think.