PDA

View Full Version : Forget SL pen.. BARTER is the word!!

ArgieD
11-11-04, 13:26
I think I just cracked it... :)

We all know after endless threads & posts that the SL penalty for Allied ganking is difficult to be changed for one reason or another. But..

How about getting Barter penalty apart from SL? Providing that the overall Rank won't be affected, barter points could automatically be deducted when a runner attacks an allied one first.

It has nothing to do with who died or whose SL dropped the most, but simply with barter point(s) being deducted upon single unprovoked hits. So, nobody gets "flagged" or negative SL in case of an accidental friendly hit but instead a very small barter penalty can occur. This is for those who think that exploiters will do nothing else but "strategically" position themselves between the Allied runner and the mob. They will have no immediate benefit to this and if they decide to hit back and kill that Allied runner, then the usual SL penalty will still take place.

In the long term, all those career Allied Gankers will have to consider buying noob things for a fortune and selling expensive thingys for nothing if they overdo with their devastating hobby.

Just an idea.

Koth
11-11-04, 13:57
you ... er .. what?

ArgieD
11-11-04, 14:05
you ... er .. what?

Mate... the idea is having additional BARTER penalty to the existing SL ones.

Cliffraiser
11-11-04, 14:08
ehm... how bout no :o

Yin
11-11-04, 14:10
How many chars do have barter? 3 of 100?

ArgieD
11-11-04, 14:31
How many chars do have barter? 3 of 100?

Exactly. I was refering to actually getting negative values in bartering. If you get it to deep -'s, then it won't be like having TL 0 (buying/selling things at normal prices). It will make people think twice before they sink lower and lower; now how permanent this penalty will gonna be, this will be for KK to decide.

I can't tell whether it's gonna be needing a great deal of coding to be achieved or not, but I hope that if people carry out this allied ganking, then there MUST be some other ways to make them stop (or control it a bit).

PS If you were as strong at constructive criticism as you are a GR Pker, Cliffraiser, then I'm sure you'd be a cool chap ;)

Spermy
11-11-04, 15:04
EDITED - Ehm... been said already - negative points thingy - Good idea - I likey

MkVenner
11-11-04, 15:52
i like the idea, but only if they were to sort out getting #SL hits for defending yourself, atm if i defend my self its not too bad a penealty for doing it, if something like this was introduced then it'd be worse...

although, i suppose there'd be less reason for me to defend my self coz they'd take the hit if i didnt...

djskum
11-11-04, 15:56
Just get an alt or a clanny to buy it for you. Easily worked around IMO.

DjSKum

Vim
11-11-04, 16:00
And what about making clan war active ? .....
Thanks kk for not giving us this so nice feature ..

Carinth
11-11-04, 17:38
I like the idea, but it does nothing to solve the existing problems. Wether you lose SL or lose Barter doesn't matter, the problem is the system that decides when you should lose. ie, defending yourself will give you a sl/barter loss.

ArgieD
11-11-04, 18:06
the problem is the system that decides when you should lose. ie, defending yourself will give you a sl/barter loss.

The idea is losing barter only when you attack first. After that, who kills whom does not affect barter.

My original thoughts, as per previous SL related threads, involved "flagging" the attacker only. Lots agreed but more did not. This barter loss idea is a kind of compromise that I can't see why people would really have a problem objectively with.

Its main purposes are:

-) To DISCOURAGE people to kill allies continuously when their mates are not online (to help them transfer parts and ncl; especially ncl)

-) Allied Gankers will eventually annoy their own friends if they will continuously have to ask them to meet to swap objects or do shopping (having to GR all the time will make them spend more time waiting to restore their SI; NOBODY likes that and we ALL agree on this one).

-) To ENCOURAGE people to kill enemy faction runners if they experience this urge of Pking (fair enough)

Why not for Gods sake? :rolleyes:

FatDogg
11-11-04, 19:09
meh, I dont like it, would the brt hit where off or what.... I mean I understand from an RP perspective but then why woulddnt brt go up for the enemy factions stores?

Birkoff
11-11-04, 20:17
The idea is losing barter only when you attack first. After that, who kills whom does not affect barter.

If they could do this then they wouldn't have to bring barter in in the first place....

Only lose sl/FS if you are the aggressor notthe person defending.

Blacksword
11-11-04, 21:42
ive got another solution, ive been dropped from 100 soulight twice already not pvping. why not put an option on death to report the crime, like "Do you want your killer to recieve a decrease in soulight and faction loyalty?" this is an option in uo, and it works wonders on this exact same problem. sometimes a guy gets in the way, not on purpose, takes a small hit, and bam, -11. lets get a reporting feature in, then people who deserve a hit will take it, while the others will be excused from it.

Jesterthegreat
11-11-04, 21:52
so i would have to log an alt / ask a mate to buy stuff instead of waiting for SL to rise? i like it :lol:

Ascension
11-11-04, 22:28
Proberbly been said but.. anyone else will buy for them? :wtf:

//edit:

so i would have to log an alt / ask a mate to buy stuff instead of waiting for SL to rise? i like it :lol:

it was already said :(

SorkZmok
12-11-04, 00:59
"hey man, i killed a shitload of noobs today, buy me some stuff."

pkers problem solved, noobs still fucked.

jernau
12-11-04, 02:03
I tend to buy anything expensive with my BRT character anyway and he never gets in fights. Others do or could do the same.

Interesting idea though.

ArgieD
12-11-04, 11:47
All the above is well registered and accepted *thx jernau for being supportive this time :) *

It is understood that those Allied Pkers WILL find a way round this and get somebody else to do certain things for them; fair enough. My question was:

Why not? This is a feature that does not affect anybody who hasn't got it coming...

I bet that having to find a "mule" for EVERY single transaction you need is certainly not very pleasant; especially when in a hurry.
Also, don't forget that this has to do with Allied Pkers and not pkers in general, therefore I can't understand why people may have a problem with this..

It makes me sad to see how many runners are craving to kill allied factions' runners to get their kicks...

Where is the neocron world coming to? :rolleyes:

Jesterthegreat
12-11-04, 20:18
All the above is well registered and accepted *thx jernau for being supportive this time :) *

It is understood that those Allied Pkers WILL find a way round this and get somebody else to do certain things for them; fair enough. My question was:

Why not? This is a feature that does not affect anybody who hasn't got it coming...

I bet that having to find a "mule" for EVERY single transaction you need is certainly not very pleasant; especially when in a hurry.
Also, don't forget that this has to do with Allied Pkers and not pkers in general, therefore I can't understand why people may have a problem with this..

It makes me sad to see how many runners are craving to kill allied factions' runners to get their kicks...

Where is the neocron world coming to? :rolleyes:

1. introduce clan wars fully.
2. increase the penalty (somehow) for killing an ally you arent at war with.

90% of problem solved. if clans have issues with each other they can war (personally i would liike clan wars to remove SL loss, but keep faction symp loss) and random PKers have it worse than now