PDA

View Full Version : Poison and PvP...?

Obsidian X
11-11-04, 01:36
Just out curiosity...

Every monk and thier mother these days uses HL as their PvP (or PvM for that matter) weapon of choice these days (or FA for the odd ones that don't yet have a HL :p ), but I was wondering if anyone ever actually uses poison spells in PvP these days? Never seen it myself, and it would seem a good strategy as 80% of con setups spec little if any poison resist. PoB has proven that your average setup is weak against poison, and thats only a small amount of poison dmg. Pure poison should be deadly against most classes, though I've never levelled an APU high enough to try it out. So any poison wielding APUs out there?

Mechanicus
11-11-04, 01:40
poison beam was nerfed nd crap last i checked

also because of the delayed effect even if you drop your opponent chances are you will die too, you need to take em out of action FAST!

Dribble Joy
11-11-04, 02:02
Against a poorly specced player, a poison beam will wreck havok. 8 stacks with healing will kill an average PE with minimal POR. Even a por specced char will fall to about 8 stacks without healing. If it did instant dmg then it would be as powerful as a HL. (in effect, noone specs 120+ poison, but if it did then the issue as to wether s/d should protect would arise)

From my experience anyway.

tiikeri
11-11-04, 02:02
Spec poison, or you're just a appitiser for melee tanks.

SovKhan
11-11-04, 02:22
I use pest sometimes. its pretty evil now that APS and holy cath sanct have been wiped.

joran420
11-11-04, 02:24
with POB more ppl are speccing poison....tbh poison beam is pretty useless except in certain cases

SorkZmok
11-11-04, 06:24
PoB damage doesnt decrease much with high por. Poison also bypasses shelter/deflector and really wastes people with bad por. See a spy? Give him some poison beams, 99% of all spies have shit por (the rest is on his way to level at the swampcaves :lol: ). Most hightech PEs have bad por and some APUs.

Speccing poison got some "flip points" (it had, havent tested in a while), either spec quite a lot or fuck all, everything between is a waste of points.

I always carry a poison beam on my APU and my hybrid, great to take out annoying stealthwhores. Another thing is, if you manage to stack a load onto PPUS / ppl with a PPU, they might get confused about their s/d/heal/buffs as the stacks push those up the screen and make it hard to see which spell is still running.

joran420
11-11-04, 07:24
^^ those are the 2 instances where i use poison

SorkZmok
11-11-04, 11:18
^^ those are the 2 instances where i use poison
Haha, i love seeing PPus panic when they try to cast a new shelter too early or forget to recast the deflector cause they just cant see it anymore cause of all the stacks. :)

Crest
11-11-04, 14:11
Against a poorly specced player, a poison beam will wreck havok. 8 stacks with healing will kill an average PE with minimal POR. Even a por specced char will fall to about 8 stacks without healing. If it did instant dmg then it would be as powerful as a HL. (in effect, noone specs 120+ poison, but if it did then the issue as to wether s/d should protect would arise)

From my experience anyway.

This means you have had to hit him 8x .... Which is fair , but if you get 8 shots off, with a slower casting spell , then using HL or FA he is dead already, and its not a slow death....

Or am I wrong ... Concept of poison is cool, except that
1) Antidotes are easily available, takes off 3 stacks at time
2) It takes longer to kill the enemy
3) 8 direct shots will just about kill anyone with HL and FA...

LTA
11-11-04, 14:24
Anti heal and Poison worked well on ppus in my experience especially if u got a tl 3 heal in the mix it makes it a little more fun.

Think poison was ok, maybe toxic beam needed a little boost, but you can stack enough to hurt ppl bad just most times Holy Heal sorts it but no HH in the mix and i thought it was quite a evil little weapon lol

InT
11-11-04, 14:56
Anti heal and Poison worked well in my experience especially if u got a tl 3 heal in the mix it makes it a little more fun.

Think poison was ok, maybe toxic beam needed a little boost, but you can stack enough to hurt ppl bad just most times Holy Heal sorts it but no HH in the mix and i thought it was quite a evil little weapon lol

anti def and tl3 deflec and psi attack 2 imo

solling
11-11-04, 15:26
problem is when u zone all poison (and fire for that matter) damage stops so u might get 20 stacks of poisojn on him he zones and no longer takes any damage

Mechanicus
11-11-04, 15:27
people have told me that for years but plenty of times i saw people die in p3 to poison stacks they got in pp1 (back when plaza was a safezone)

Argent
11-11-04, 16:07
people have told me that for years but plenty of times i saw people die in p3 to poison stacks they got in pp1 (back when plaza was a safezone)

I think that used to happen ages ago, but not anymore (or for many months for that matter). It's just delayed damage, can happen with any kind of damage especially in NC2. When zoned stacking poison/fire/xray inflicts damage but it's almost immediately corrected to no damage. Same thing happens to healing, ie heal is closer being harmfull than helpfull when zoning.

Vim
11-11-04, 16:24
If I remember good, por flip points are by 15 ( 0 15 30 45 etc ... )
Por seems to work lire fir or enr againt direct poison damage.

I want viper trouser 1 to 4 :D !