PDA

View Full Version : Best PC RPG Games *Bored*

Endar
09-11-04, 17:15
I'm bored... I decidet to create this thread to find out if there is a good RPG game that I have not played yeat.

So please make two lists, on the first list put games (RPG) that you absolutely loved (the best PC RPG Games ever made in your opinion).

On the second list please put games that are worth of trying. The game doesnt have to be perfect, just put some games that are not so known and are worth playing.

The RPG games I loved:

Fallout series
Daggerfall
Gothic 1&2

The games I would recommend:

Sacred (for the fans of Diablo 2)
Gothic (its not too well known)
Evil Islands (quite good game)

Please remember only to post PC RPG games. No shoot em up games, hack&slash is ok if it has leveling system. Also I am not talking about MMORPGs here.

If you think that people wont know the game, or its hard to find info about it please tell us something about the game (or post a URL if you like).

:angel:

Xeno LARD
09-11-04, 17:18
Play Diablo2 - again.

Clive tombstone
09-11-04, 17:46
neverwinter nights.

and

dungeon siege (I guess, I didnt pay for it, just a friend gave it to me as a present, its fun, dunno if its worth buying)

Endar
09-11-04, 18:46
I dont feel like playing another hack&slash "RPG" for a while. Too much Sacred I guess...

Any other games?

Clive tombstone
09-11-04, 18:51
could play morrowind and made a archer lol, Instant FPS RPG :D

FatDogg
09-11-04, 19:30
morrowind with bows is the funnest shit in the world

Siygess
09-11-04, 21:10
This is easy, I'll just look at my games collection:

RPG must-haves:

Baldur's Gate I & II plus expansion packs - This (by a narrow margin) is still the best CRPG I've ever played. It's old, it's AD&D, it's VERY long and the voice acting is so good that you might find yourself disliking the characters.. but damn it, the story is epic. The game rocks

Knights of the Old Republic: Almost as good as the BG series, it's a classic Star Wars tale crammed into 1/5th of the playing time, but still every bit as good. Worth playing even if you dont like Star Wars

Fallout 2: Like an isometric Neocron, this is a post-apocalyptic RPG with guts. Usually someone elses guts too. The story isn't all that interesting but the character system is pretty flexible and there are guns. Lots of guns.

RPG "Also consider"'s:

Planescape Torment: Might be better than the BG series, but I made the mistake of reading the book first.
Fallout I: Like Fallout 2, but, er, earlier.
Deus Ex: A nice cyberpunk RPG in FPS format. Cool story, and does bad, bad things to DX:IW.
Anachronox: Looks very similar to NC1. I purchased it after playing the demo, but never got around to installing it.

EDIT: You're familiar with the Fallout series, so really I'm recommending it for everyone else's benefit :D

Endar
09-11-04, 22:51
I have played more than enought of Baldurs Gate, its great game but I couldnt get my self to play it again :(

By the way, is Icewind Tale a good game? I bought it from discount few months ago but havent bothered to open the box :rolleyes:

I actually always wanted to play Planescape Torment and I own the cds. The thing is that the first cd is broken... I bought the game when I was shopping, got back to car, opened the box and looked through the stuff in box. Well I couldnt find the CD 1 (I was really tired then) so I opened the door and jumped out of the car, just to find that I had dropped the CD and I just stepped on it...

Anachronox. I have never heard of it nor seen it here. Is it sold in Europe? Do you know where I could get a copy of it?

I just remembered that I have System Shock 2 :D The game just wont start on Windows XP for some reason...

I think I'm going to play some SNES games until I find out some good game I havent played yeat.

Thanks for the info guys :D Keep em coming :angel:

J. Folsom
09-11-04, 22:54
Icewind Dale isn't really worth the trouble in my opinion, it focuses too much on the Hack and Slash principle and slightly abandons it's RPG roots.

Planescape on the other hand I can heartily recommend, one of the best CRPGs I know of.

Siygess
09-11-04, 23:01
Yes Anachronox is available in europe but its failry old - best hit ebay to get a copy. As for SS2, there's a way to get it to work in XP (even better when you have some of the mods for it) - I'll dig it out for you

Dribble Joy
10-11-04, 01:51
Icewind Dale isn't really worth the trouble in my opinion, it focuses too much on the Hack and Slash principle and slightly abandons it's RPG roots.
Icewind Dale is still (imo) a very good game. I really liked the setting, the music, and the style it was done in, all wood and stone, lots of snow.
IWD2 is a much better game however.

For good RPGs, as allready mentioned, the bulder's gate series is brilliant.

Deus Ex is also a must.

MkVenner
10-11-04, 02:06
pretty much all the MAJOR ones have been mentioned

Baldurs gate 1 and 2
Icewind 1 and 2
Planescape
Fallout 1 and 2
System shock 1 and 2

but no one mentioned Arcanum....i feckin love that game lol, Elves half ogres and orks, with magic and guns all set in a steampunkish 1800s era, excellent lol

tiikeri
10-11-04, 02:30
Baldrurs Gate 1&2, nothing really to do after you've killed the last mofo...
IceWD 1&2, imo, a bit too easy.
Planescape Torment, never really got in to that game..
Fallouts were kewl, even with the bugs in em.

d2.. d2 gets boring.. i quit after doing hell baal runs, solo, in less than 5minutes.. and 1.10.. blech.. hard - hardly.

I'd personally recomend getting some old SSI AD&D RPGs. GFX might suck ass, but still they'r hella fun to play..
I.E. Champions of Krynn, Death Knights of Krynn, Secret of the Silverblades were my favourites.

You might also want to try the Temple of the Elemental Evil..
Edit: ohyeah, Heroes of Might and Magic 2&3&4 :)

Clive tombstone
10-11-04, 07:59
ever think of fallout tactics? Brotherhood of steel? its pretty good too, dont listen to the hype :D

Endar
10-11-04, 16:45
Fallout Tactics aint really a RPG as I see it. Its more Jagged Alliance (however its spelled) than a Fallout game. I didnt like it too much :/

Diablo 2 gets boring, I know. Its a good game to the point you only start grinding levels. Just like Sacred.

Heroes? RPG game? :lol: Well I liked that game anyway but its not an RPG :) You prolly ment Might & Magic series, and I didnt like those eather. I somewhy dont like games where you have to get party members. Thats why I really liked Gothic and Evil Islands.

I liked Arcanum, it took a while to get used with the system, and it took hellova lot of time to think what I really wanted to be. First I played a thief (I really like playing a thief :) ) but as everyone who has played the game, its way too easy with a thief. Then I tried mage but the combat was still too easy. After a day of testing I found my self playing a gunsmith with some shooting skills and it was fun. Like I said it took a while to get used with the system tho...

Actually I might play Arcanum again if I cant get System Shock 2 to work on Windows XP.

Keep em coming please :D

Edit: Has anyone played Wizards & Warriors? I am not sure if there are many games in W&W series but I mean the one with 3d graphics. I somewhy liked that game. I know it has some bugs and the story is used more times in games that I can count, but it still had something in it. Well anyway try it if you get the chance :D

Siygess
10-11-04, 16:57
There are a few problems people encounter with SS2 and XP. Installing the game is half the battle, but if you have managed that, try this:

Open the user.cfg in the SS2 directory. If it doesnt exist, create it.
Put "safe_texture_manager" (minus the quotes) into the file.
Save it and try launching SS2..

With any luck, it should run.

Omnituens
10-11-04, 17:54
Baldurs gate 1 and 2
Icewind 1 and 2
Planescape
Fallout 1 and 2
System shock 1 and 2

i cant play SS2, my computer runs it too fast and the zombie run at you and twat you before you've even turned around.

and dont get me started on the monkeys.

hm, you dont need to do any tweaking for win2k with the textures.

notneo
10-11-04, 23:14
try using some thing like dos box if the game is old enough or do what i did....

dig out the pentium 200 just for playing retro games