PDA

View Full Version : Idea: Trial of Position.

Idola
09-11-04, 02:26
First, a little explanation as to what a Trial of Position is (And note to Battletech players: I'm bound to get a few minor details wrong, but the important stuff is there):

In the Battletech world, a Trial of Position is where a Mechwarrior faces off against five other elite Clanned Mechwarriors, one at a time, in order to gain ranking within a Clan (Jade Falcons, Ghost Bears....etc, etc). The Mechwarrior taking the trial is not able to repair, rearm or requip himself between any battle because as soon as a Clan warrior falls, the next in line immediatly steps in.

During such a trial, the 'Mechs have their ejector pods deactivated; therefore any defeated Mechwarriors go up in flames with their 'Mechs. If the person taking the trial beats all five of his opponents, he gains status within the Clan.

So with that out of the way, my idea:

I was thinking, why not hold something like a Trial of Position within Neocron? Minus the perma-death part (Unless you consider yourself "hardcore"), I think it would go quite some way into solving a few arguments regarding PvP ability. So, the proposition:

1.) The combatants agree on a time and location to do battle.

2.) One person is chosen, at random, to begin the fight. Then another is chosen; when one of those two is slain, another person is called in and the survivor does battle with them. Continue until one person remains.

3.) PPU Monks are not allowed to buff anyone beforehand. If someone willingly recieves buffs and continues with a duel, they're dishonourably disqualified.

4.) If a combatant attacks someone that is not part of the current battle, the person who was attacked may freely fight back against the person who shot at them. Even accidental shots count against you.

5.) When slain, GR out. Fall in battle? Take the consequences.

6.) Non-combatants (i.e. Those who aren't taking part) are just that: non-combatants. Attack them and you will be dishonourably disqualified.

The basic idea is to get an "honourable" PVP competition under-way and see what develops from it. Can you back up your egotistical rants that you've taken part in on the forum? Can you accept defeat without making ridiculous excuses? Do you treat your foe with respect?

Of course, I haven't perfected the rule list yet (A "system" for determing who put up the best performance for example), this is just a preliminary thing to see how much interest I can generate beforehand, but time will tell how I get on with organising it.

Thoughts/comments/questions?

QuakCow
09-11-04, 02:29
...interesting....kinda like a duelish kinda thing...might be a way to put the battle dome into use for something other then looking not quite so pretty :p

joran420
09-11-04, 02:30
hows that different than fight night? ....less ballanced maybe......

so if i went last and beat one person i would win the whole event?

while as whoever went first could beat 20 ppl and lose one and be disqualified?

Nvidia
09-11-04, 02:32
I'd do it.

I never whine or make excuses when I die - I accept the fact that they were better than me at that time.

No PPU buffs? Count me in.

Idola
09-11-04, 02:34

As I said, I haven't finalised things yet so the system's still a little shaky. I'm throwing around ideas for a point system to prevent the last scenario you just described.

At the moment I'm thinking of a points system, i.e. When someone kills another Runner, their "Battle Value" increases, so they increase their ranking but at the same time they become a more valuable kill.

Kiel
09-11-04, 04:58

Sounds like a Royal Rumble eliminator to me.

cool

wombat74
09-11-04, 05:04
Sounds like a Royal Rumble eliminator to me.

cool

Oooo maybe we could all have Ring Entrance Music too. All the DoY folks can be the heels, and all the Pro-City folks can be the faces, and we can all use steel chairs!

OK, maybe not... but seriously, sounds like a good idea.

jernau
09-11-04, 12:00
wrt the original version : Sounds a bit of a suicidal way to recruit new members. Add one guy, lose five :wtf: .

Yin
09-11-04, 13:55
Such trials were only practicated by Clans, woth were defeated and droped even deeper in outzone. Is there faction that is by its moral any near to the Clans? I doubt it.

Better wait till KK adds promised Mechs :)

Idola
09-11-04, 14:49
wrt the original version : Sounds a bit of a suicidal way to recruit new members. Add one guy, lose five :wtf: .

Clan pilots are genetically engineered (i.e. Test tube babies) and so are "born" into the Clans; there's a lot of them out there, to say the least. Hell, because the Clans aren't involved in so much civil war their technology is FAR superior to anything the Inner Sphere groups can rustle up; the only thing the Inner Sphere has going for them is numbers.

Likewise, the Clans are absolutely nuts about honour. When an "outsider" takes a Trial of Position, and wins, the deaths of the five they defeated are honoured and remembered. That, and the "outsider" is then considered a better warrior than those five ever were. :p

"To the bold goes the victory, to the dead goes the glory".

greendonkeyuk
09-11-04, 17:13
id say a points system would be a viable option tbh. Also it might not make a huge difference but it might be worth allowing the use of medkits and/or first aid kits. Just to give the "weaker players" a fighting chance.

Koshinn
10-11-04, 01:29
First, a little explanation as to what a Trial of Position is (And note to Battletech players: I'm bound to get a few minor details wrong, but the important stuff is there):

In the Battletech world, a Trial of Position is where a Mechwarrior faces off against five other elite Clanned Mechwarriors, one at a time, in order to gain ranking within a Clan (Jade Falcons, Ghost Bears....etc, etc). The Mechwarrior taking the trial is not able to repair, rearm or requip himself between any battle because as soon as a Clan warrior falls, the next in line immediatly steps in.

You're right, you got a few details wrong. :-P

Trial of Position is when a potential mechwarrior fights three mechwarriors, not elite, but definately front line. If you beat _one_, you gain the status of mechwarrior in the clan. Beating two gains the star commander rank, and in the unlikely event of beating three gains star captain. You fight one at a time and having your mech disabled or destroyed means a loss (unless you beat one). Two trial of positions happen simultaneously on the same battle field. If one of the cadets shoots at the other cadet's target or a mech waiting in line, it becomes a general melee and all mechs are open targets, including the other cadet's mech. Therefore it is possible to kill 4 mechs, but it's only happened once.

And the battletech universe is semi-realistic in that a pilot doesn't always die in his mech when it's taken down. A 'kill' doesn't mean the mech explodes in a giant fireball of death. Its fusion reactor could overheat (due to damage/abuse) and shutdown, it could be disabled by having its legs removed, its weapons could be destroyed or any other of a dozen ways to get a battlefield 'kill' without actually killing the pilot. But it does happen. Headshots are the best way to take down a mech and only the cockpit is damaged, not the rest of the body which is valuable for use as scrab or replacement parts or to even just repair.