PDA

View Full Version : wiring my modem straight into my phone box

FatDogg
08-11-04, 07:17
I was talking to a friend today and he is trying to convince me that I should jack my dsl modem via cat5 straight into my phone box because it will double my dl speeds. so a) is this legal? b) is this true c) how the shit would I do the wiring...

Glok
08-11-04, 07:19
ROFL WHAT??

Your friend has been smoking some damn fine stuff. O_o

FatDogg
08-11-04, 07:20
as I figured, he's saying I should run the cat 5 from the modem to port 3 or 4 in the phone box (whichever has the most twists in the wires :rolleyes: )

THE_TICK!!!!
08-11-04, 08:27
hey a question i can answer :) well check it out..he is partially right...if you run from your box...you will not have rj11 line in between your rj45 and your entrance panel...now as for wich port to hook it to it shouldn't matter..but check your wire colors...blue/blue/white..and orange/orange/white are your best bet since they are the tightest wrapped...wich makes for better continuity over long distances :)

FatDogg
08-11-04, 17:25
ummm... now I don't have a fucking clue what I'm supposed to do... thanks though Mr. Tick, I'll search online for how to do the wiring and if it something that I want to undertake...

THE_TICK!!!!
08-11-04, 17:42
oh man sorry...um pm me for further assistance i can point you in the right direction.

jernau
09-11-04, 12:41
Twaddle.

FatDogg
09-11-04, 19:24
twadle?

jernau
09-11-04, 19:47
twadle?
Bunkum? Claptrap? Drivel? Humbug? Gobshite? Nonsense? :D

As in - it won't make any difference at all.

naimex
09-11-04, 19:49
Bunkum? Claptrap? Drivel? Humbug? Gobshite? Nonsense? :D

As in - it won't make any difference at all.

does that mean you have tried and failed ?

jernau
09-11-04, 19:51
does that mean you have tried and failed ?
LOL. No, it means I know how it works.

The only way the cabling inside your house can affect things is if it's chuffed. If you aren't getting disconnections then everything is working.

naimex
09-11-04, 19:52
LOL. No, it means I know how it works.

The only way the cabling inside your house can affect things is if it's chuffed. If you aren't getting disconnections then everything is working.

... :) IŽll just take your word for it... I have no idea...

jernau
09-11-04, 19:55
Tbh completely honest I'm not sure what his mate is suggesting but of the many possibilities none will improve things and some will just break everything. There is no way to increase line-speed by changing your wiring unless said wiring is broken.

trigger hurt
10-11-04, 01:26
Tbh completely honest I'm not sure what his mate is suggesting but of the many possibilities none will improve things and some will just break everything. There is no way to increase line-speed by changing your wiring unless said wiring is broken.Indeed. I don't know where you live, but if you are a BellSouth customer and you go messing around out at the NID and fuck something up, it'll cost you. But as jernau says, diddling around with the wires out there will only do one of two things. 1. Make your internet stop working. 2. Make everything stop working. Both instances, you will be on the phone, waiting for tech support to pick up so you can explain to them why your NID looks like a bird nest.

There are a couple ways to increase your down/up stream speeds. One is to get a different speed plan from your ISP if they offer it. The other way is illegal, and the ISP might take you to court, but they most definatly won't give you internet service again.

THE_TICK!!!!
10-11-04, 07:09
take there advice...my job is inside outside plant..and or tcf sys admin...you CAN do certain things..and yes different lines give different resistance and continuity issues..causing latent signal..but its complecated :P better leave well enough alone :) and yes i know i cant type :P

hudsonbeck
10-11-04, 16:42
Indeed. I don't know where you live, but if you are a BellSouth customer

Where u live Trigger?
I'm a Bellsouth customer :)

Hudson

trigger hurt
11-11-04, 00:50
think we've talked about this before hud. you live in Charleston, SC. I live in Columbia. Think it was divide who told me you lived in Charleston, perhaps.