PDA

View Full Version : my insaine server uptime

Revslad
06-11-04, 03:04
well i plugged a monitor into my server computer and was having a fiddle with it, and i loaded everest and i clicked uptime, and i got this...

longest uptime : 1013 days :eek:

:D

shodanjr_gr
06-11-04, 14:50
That sure beats the crap out of KKs largest uptime...

QuickFix
06-11-04, 14:56
well i plugged a monitor into my server computer and was having a fiddle with it, and i loaded everest and i clicked uptime, and i got this...

longest uptime : 1013 days :eek:

:D

how can the machine have not been turned off for 3 years, have you never installed any software that required a reboot?

dem0n
06-11-04, 15:01
how can the machine have not been turned off for 3 years, have you never installed any software that required a reboot?

yeah lol. I need to take down my Win2k3 computer atleast once every 15 days for windows updates, and other app updates :P.

shodanjr_gr
06-11-04, 15:54

My aunt's office has a 486 pc runnign Novel Netware that has only turned off twice in the past 3 years, both due to a power outage. If the said pc had a basic UPS system, it wouldnt have turned off at all.

hinch
06-11-04, 16:15
havent you guys heard of *nix systems?

although i do tend to reboot mine once a year or so just to let the drives respin from scratch

netster
06-11-04, 16:16
my personal best uptime was arround 115 days with my oldschool K6. think about 200mhz, 96megs ram, 2gb hdd ... just for plain mailserver/webserver/bitchx :D

it just ran about 2 websites, some perlscripts, mysql, sendmail, bitchx.
was like a suse 5.2 distro, customized alot with selfcompiled apache and stuff.

it broke down, cause i leaned my legs on it while at work.. one day i spitted some coffee and me feet unplugged the powercord :eek:

netster
06-11-04, 16:19
any software that required a reboot?
never :lol: *inx uptimes > win32

dem0n
07-11-04, 11:51
never :lol: *inx uptimes > win32
errrrrrr

win32 stability > *nix

kurai
07-11-04, 14:25
errrrrrr

win32 stability > *nix
Either you don't know what the > symbol means, or you forgot a sarcastic smiley. :p

Alternatively you really could be living in some bizarre alternate universe where the obvious choice for major high availability/mission critical systems platforms actually is windows.

If the latter is true then give me some warning before you try and describe this world to us. I need to go out and get *majorly* fucked up on some world class narcotics to prepare. :D

athon
07-11-04, 14:54
....or he believes the Microsoft advertising. You should browse /. and similar sites and look at the replies to Microsoft's advertising that use the same source material.

Athon Solo

Jesterthegreat
07-11-04, 14:59
Alternatively you really could be living in some bizarre alternate universe where the obvious choice for major high availability/mission critical systems platforms actually is windows.

Comic Book Guy: Stan Lee insulted me! But in Bizarro world, that means he likes me!

that kinda thing?

MaGn0lia
08-11-04, 09:53
In the great world of linux only occasion you need to reboot is the kernel update *tral-lal-laa dancing away* (there are some others but are in very few and apart)

Xeno LARD
08-11-04, 15:16
[mark@evolution mark]$ uptime
1:31pm up 4 days, 22:38, 1 user, load average: 0.54, 0.37, 0.17

:| High load av's.

On another note. My best is like 40days :(. PSU popped.