Asurmen Spec Op
05-11-04, 02:26
Theres a few things I noticed with TH that I'd Like to say
1) I like the stalls in TH2, much better then the player NPC idea
2) Apartment name on key doesnt match lift
3) they do sell gel
4) Its become very popular(yaay)
5) did I say I like teh stalls :)
6) Apartments are great(I know they are old but with custom fruniture its :angel: )

Thats all I can think of .
oh ya and <3 the strippers

Xylaz
05-11-04, 02:31
there's one thing i'd like to be removed from TH

safezone

well, its not only the TH problem actually...

Glok
05-11-04, 02:33

safezoneWhy? :wtf:

Why?

Go raid a city or MB ffs.

Xylaz
05-11-04, 02:37
Why?

because its pointless to try and do anything anywhere if u can do it in one place without having to worry about anything

hope that answers your question

PS.
I was really lookin forward to have an active tradeskiller in NC2 but the current situation is just disgusting... and pointless

Asurmen Spec Op
05-11-04, 02:37
Why? :wtf:

Why?

Go raid a city or MB ffs.
agreed

Glok
05-11-04, 02:39
hope that answers your questionIt doesn't. I conduct business everywhere, the only reason I go to TH generally is to meet with enemy city runners to complete a trade, or to get pokes.

Xylaz
05-11-04, 02:41
It doesn't. I conduct business everywhere, the only reason I go to TH generally is to meet with enemy city runners to complete a trade, or to get pokes.

most people dont

and what's the point of meeting an "enemy" if u are absolutely sure he's no threat to you? he's not an enemy anymore... pointless

[edit]

but the worst thing is, now i have no choice but to go to fuckin TH because there is no fuckin way i'm going to convince any anti city runner to meet at any other place in the world...

disgusting

Spoon
05-11-04, 02:46
most people dont

:wtf:

mmm, yeah, they do.....
I go there almost everyday, to sell stuff....

and what's the point of meeting an "enemy" if u are absolutely sure he's no threat to you? he's not an enemy anymore... pointless

To sell him stuff and make assloads of cash, away from the prying eyes of the NCPD?...

:confused:

Xylaz
05-11-04, 02:51
:wtf:

mmm, yeah, they do.....
I go there almost everyday, to sell stuff....

yes and that's the problem. most people dont make business anywhere else. Its TH only now

To sell him stuff and make assloads of cash, away from the prying eyes of the NCPD?...

:confused:

then the most logical place would be outzone, or some ruins or villages, or even TH if it wasnt a safezone... you would have to trust the guy enough to believe he wont kill you. Its called a reputation system. And safezone is the point in which its broken.

Asurmen Spec Op
05-11-04, 02:52
yes and that's the problem. most people dont make business anywhere else. Its TH only now

then the most logical place would be outzone, or some ruins or villages, or even TH if it wasnt a safezone... you would have to trust the guy enough to believe he wont kill you. Its called a reputation system. And safezone is the point in which its broken.
Id side with you 100% exept one problem of the maturity lvl of the players.
Id need 3capped tanks and a ppu to guard my CST.

Sorin
05-11-04, 02:53
3) they do sell gel

FINALLY, damnit. Myself and many others scoured every vendor and npc throughout every Tech Haven sector and found no gel. I don't know which of the recent patches finally got it in, but THANK YOU. ffs.

I generally like TH, I just wish the apartments were better.

BlackDove
05-11-04, 02:55
I think it's kind of weak, cowardly, and lame to expect non-combat characters to just be open at your whim for ganking whenever you feel like it.

Just my opinion anyway.

Asurmen Spec Op
05-11-04, 03:00
FINALLY, damnit. Myself and many others scoured every vendor and npc throughout every Tech Haven sector and found no gel. I don't know which of the recent patches finally got it in, but THANK YOU. ffs.

I generally like TH, I just wish the apartments were better.
tbh the vendors that sell them have prolly been there since the begining. TH sector 1

Sorin
05-11-04, 03:03
That's what I meant by scoured all sectors. There are/were 6 Cryton-like vendors in TH-1. Two sold "tech" parts. Two sold chemicals or something, and two were labeled "Tools". However, their "tools" window consisted of 5 xray bones.

Jesterthegreat
05-11-04, 03:08
tbh the vendors that sell them have prolly been there since the begining. TH sector 1

nope. the ones in the underground-y bit? they didnt used to sell gel

Xylaz
05-11-04, 03:11
I think it's kind of weak, cowardly, and lame to expect non-combat characters to just be open at your whim for ganking whenever you feel like it.

Just my opinion anyway.

my point is - safezone destroys any point of reputation. You can do your business with your worst enemy because you know he cant do anything to you (well, you wont give him a weapon to repair, but you can easily trade with him even if u know that he would stab you in the back in non-safezone)

If someone kills you, dont trade with him anymore. Simply as it is.

And people are exaggerating, i've been trading in plaza 1 in NC2 and been killed like 2 times in total. Its just that everyone always goes for the easiest route. If u want to avoid beeing ganked, arrange the meeting place in some deserted area, where it will be only you and the other person. If he's an enemy you *should* be careful... and you should be discrete.

BlackDove
05-11-04, 03:12
Sorry, I just don't agree.

Xylaz
05-11-04, 03:14
np its your opinion :p

joran420
05-11-04, 03:19
i see what yer saying.......It just wouldnt work in this game i dont think

Jesterthegreat
05-11-04, 03:23
If someone kills you, dont trade with him anymore. Simply as it is.

safe zone or not this is entirely your choice.

Xylaz
05-11-04, 03:24
safe zone or not this is entirely your choice.

Yes, but my problem is that the person i'm trading with wont go to any other place because this one is safe and others are not.

Jesterthegreat
05-11-04, 03:27
Yes, but my problem is that the person i'm trading with wont go to any other place because this one is safe and others are not.

then find someone else. i have met tradeskillers at point red, ind a 1, desert race track, all through DoY as well as at TH

Xylaz
05-11-04, 03:31
then find someone else. i have met tradeskillers at point red, ind a 1, desert race track, all through DoY as well as at TH

you do realise what are u talking about?
If i manage to find someone for a certain trade i usually dont have any other choice (because this certain trade is the best i've managed to get). I would like to get it little more realistical, little harder, little more rp-ish, but not plainly impossible

Jesterthegreat
05-11-04, 03:35
you do realise what are u talking about?
If i manage to find someone for a certain trade i usually dont have any other choice (because this certain trade is the best i've managed to get). I would like to get it little more realistical, little harder, little more rp-ish, but not plainly impossible

so you want the best possible trade... but refuse to go to the "centre of trade" for it? O_o

Xylaz
05-11-04, 03:37
so you want the best possible trade... but refuse to go to the "centre of trade" for it? O_o

i would go there gladly if it wasnt a safezone (and i've explained it before... so i stop here at this very moment)

Jesterthegreat
05-11-04, 03:39
i would go there gladly if it wasnt a safezone (and i've explained it before... so i stop here at this very moment)

then its your stubboness thats the problem, not the game mechanics

superfresh
05-11-04, 03:49
Only improvement I could see in TH would be a greater variety of vendors. Was wondering how barters are able to function there right now..

Can you even buy ammo there yet?

Terkantia
05-11-04, 04:33
then its your stubboness thats the problem, not the game mechanics

Thats kinda what i was thinkin' too . . .

Kiel
05-11-04, 05:23
i like the idea of a centre of commerce were anyone from any faction can come into and know they can trade safely. I believe that there should be a penalty in place for trading with an enemy faction member. something like -10 faction sympathy from your faction per transaction.

If you wanna kill theres 100+ sectors to do it, do you need another 10 which would be filled with trade skillers?

kurai
05-11-04, 06:06
i would go there gladly if it wasnt a safezone (and i've explained it before... so i stop here at this very moment)So tell him you'll only trade with him in an Energy Core.

Or accept that he simply doesn't trust you not to fuck him up.

IceStorm
05-11-04, 06:15
Yes, but my problem is that the person i'm trading with wont go to any other place because this one is safe and others are not.I'll trade anywhere that's not in range of TG NPCs.

Of course, I've also got an LE installed... :-)

eprodigy
05-11-04, 08:08
Techhaven as a non-safezone would destroy its entire purpose, it's meant to be a center of trade for members of any faction alliance. Make that an anarchy zone and thats exactly what you'll get. It would become the new MB (with the camped gr's to go along with it).

Hmm, I don't even know where to start.. You refuse to use a trading center because you wont get ganked while trading :wtf:

Glok
05-11-04, 08:13
Exactly eprodigy.

I misspelled your name at first, and while correcting it realised it is e-prodigy... damn I'm dense, just like I didn't realise the forum user 'Lanigav' was vaginal in reverse. :o

MaGn0lia
05-11-04, 08:21
@Xylaz how about we do this, you bring your tradeskiller ass in to the wastes, to trade something with me and me and my ppu friend here, will rezzkill your ass several times just to make it cozy for you ok?

We can even steal your tools and pop all your imps, if this kind of tradeskilling you were looking forward to :)

shardl0r
05-11-04, 11:14
Xylaz, there wouldn't be any trade between the two cities if there wasn't the safezone at TH. Its not like the safezone has ruined all the other trading locations because its safer - there would not be any trade between non-le tradeskillers and enemy faction members.

I don't see it as a zone where you physically can't attack anyway - to me its just full of security that will kill you painfully if you try any violence - which is impossible using the current gamecode, so all it does is let the characters make the logical choice of being passive for you.

shRd-

Spermy
05-11-04, 12:01

Unless you're planning a breath tax afterwards - then I fail to see your point. :wtf:

I would think a safe zoen would be the best and most logical choice for any tradeskiller - I REALLY wouldn't stand in the middle of an opwar touting my wares :)

I can see your point - but people are comfortable where they are. I don't think that you're losing anything by going to TH - after all, we did get by with rontrade and Typherra as safezones in the past.

There are still some people willing to do Biz elsewhere tho - I went to el farid to get a weapon from a procity t'other day.

Problem was I was promptly breath taxed and had it hacked back by someone else. :lol: 25K down the drain!

/Me resolves to stay in TH in future!

[TgR]KILLER
05-11-04, 12:06
i always work from FA HQ or trade in TH.. only with a few people i trade "on the street" but alot of the people i do buisness with i don't know @ all and therefor i don't trust them :p

tomparadox
05-11-04, 13:24
because its pointless to try and do anything anywhere if u can do it in one place without having to worry about anything umm, no???

most people dont

and what's the point of meeting an "enemy" if u are absolutely sure he's no threat to you? he's not an enemy anymore... pointless um, what would you expect a trade skiller to do? Beet the dude up with his damn 150 CST tool?

but the worst thing is, now i have no choice but to go to fuckin TH because there is no fuckin way i'm going to convince any anti city runner to meet at any other place in the world...

disgusting maybe you’ll understand more this way, take safe zones off TH, TH will become a gankfest, NC will be one along with MB and DoY. Constant raids. So, would you rather deal with the safe zone, after all TH is a trader city? or would you rather deal with not being able to go *anyware* in the game except faction HQs to sell and trade skill but then if you do that, we will have all this other faction bullshit because some people cant go to that factions HQ.

QuantumDelta
05-11-04, 15:45
I look at TH as BlackMarket anyway.
If the Reeza found out about it, he'd throw a fit, his city trading with the enemy?
Same for TG, etc.
It's kept underground(harhar) and hush hush, probably to all faction leaders bar FAs.
(In an RP world)

-=BlackBeard=-
05-11-04, 15:52

safezone

well, its not only the TH problem actually...

i think that the only good thing bout th is the safezone

Riddle
05-11-04, 16:07
I only trade in TH or at HQ in city , i'm dammed if i'm carrying me TL150 tool and glove ,SS ,FA blah blah and lose me shit due to some random drive by.

In fact anti city outside safezone of TH would probably trade with me then kill my tradeskill ass as payment!

No way would I trade in the wastes, I wont even trade in NC streets due to random gankage.

You want something built,ressed , buy a rare you can come to me or meet in TH thats it :D

P.S. I learnt the hard way been ganked several times in first weeks no more!!!

Xylaz
05-11-04, 18:03
like i said before - people always take the easiest route

i never trade in a safe zone unless i'm forced going into TH

i was trading in MB only on saturn for a few months (killed about 20 times in total), now i'm at P1 on Terra (killed 2 times in total). I have all 4 gloves on me, all 150 tools (rep, res, cst), usually some other nice things like builded weapons, rareparts etc.
come on gank me then if u think that it is obviously IMPOSSIBLE to trade in non-safe conditions :rolleyes: Its easier - yes. But its still possible and much more rewarding.

On the other hand, my opinion is that TH should get their bazillion of sentry guns back and programmed them to attack everyone who will draw a weapon. And now we got a secure zone but without stupid game mechanics, and least but not last, we got an area which isnt safe 100% of the time.

Jesterthegreat
05-11-04, 18:07
like i said before - people always take the easiest route

i never trade in a safe zone unless i'm forced going into TH

i was trading in MB only on saturn for a few months (killed about 20 times in total), now i'm at P1 on Terra (killed 2 times in total). I have all 4 gloves on me, all 150 tools (rep, res, cst), usually some other nice things like builded weapons, rareparts etc.
come on gank me then if u think that it is obviously IMPOSSIBLE to trade in non-safe conditions :rolleyes: Its easier - yes. But its still possible and much more rewarding.

On the other hand, my opinion is that TH should get their bazillion of sentry guns back and programmed them to attack everyone who will draw a weapon. And now we got a secure zone but without stupid game mechanics, and least but not last, we got an area which isnt safe 100% of the time.

so your point is that since you dont like safezones no one should use them?

or since you dont like them they should be removed?

i think its fairly obvious from the replies you have had the majority of the community disagree's.

05-11-04, 18:08

How is a "bazillion of sentry guns back and programmed them to attack everyone who will draw a weapon" not a 'stupid game mechanic'?

IceStorm
05-11-04, 18:09
like i said before - people always take the easiest routeYou ever support a BP inventory into the hundreds? Support a complete parts inventory?

Even with placeable cabinets, it's not possible to store everything one needs for trading in a single apartment. TH has safezone status in part to allow tradeskillers to move from apt to apt getting supplies and BPs. How would you like being ganked repeatedly while going from a BP apartment to a build apartment (yes, people have tried this on me)?

i never trade in a safe zone unless i'm forced going into THThis is a game. You aren't "forced" to do anything. It is quite possible to support one's self using two PCs and multiple accounts - I do it ALL THE TIME.

It appears some traders have the resources you require and are too lazy/inept/rp-centric to obtain on your own. If you don't like their terms, find another source. You're not going to get your gankfest, so get over it.
On the other hand, my opinion is that TH should get their bazillion of sentry guns back and programmed them to attack everyone who will draw a weapon.The game engine is incapable of properly supporting the gravlifts in TH (hell, they don't work properly in Plaza 1) and the turrets are stupid. If both were working you _might_ have a point, but they're not and KK will more than likely not fix the problem during NC2's lifespan.

Xylaz
05-11-04, 18:13
carebears :p

and yes Jester, i got that message very clearly... :rolleyes: and - obviously - i dont want to change their opinions, i'm just explaining mine...

[edit] whatever... end of topic

Dribble Joy
05-11-04, 18:17
TH is a trade area.
People will NOT got there it isn't a safezone.
Because they WILL get ganked.

Jesterthegreat
05-11-04, 18:29
It's been sometime since i have benn called a carebear :)

Killfly
05-11-04, 19:00
I came in on this one a bit late, but having read over the thread I'm not really sure what the point is O_o

Considering how few safe zones there are in the game now, is it really worth moaning about?

If you don't want to trade in a safe zone (and you do realise that sounds like you're going to be dodgey to deal with in the first place 8| ), go stand in one of TH's entrances and trade there...

I just don't see how your 'argument' (for want of a better word) makes sense...

(eXo) Opaleye
05-11-04, 19:37
Xylaz,

Me thinks that you have NO point to make on this subject, or at least you have lost me (and everyone else it seems) other than to say to everyone that you need to find people that can barely fight to harass. :confused:

All that I can say in reply is that:
1 - There are still MANY gr's for you to camp. :lol: :lol: :lol:
2 - TH is perfect the way it is considering the way factions now control items very specifically and safe trade should be EXPECTED to allow players to obtain what they need to play the game and RP the new alliances. :angel:
3 - KK has made many new places for you to get some skillz - try it out, you may find that killing players other than tradeskillers is alot more fun. :D
4 - Take all the replys posted with a grain of salt - we took your post the same way and had a bit of fun with it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jesterthegreat
05-11-04, 19:40
4 - Take all the replys posted with a grain of salt - we took your post the same way and had a bit of fun with it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

better yet KOS everyone who disagrees with you... you get your PvP, tradeskillers get their trade zone :)

Spermy
05-11-04, 20:20
carebears :p

and yes Jester, i got that message very clearly... :rolleyes: and - obviously - i dont want to change their opinions, i'm just explaining mine...

[edit] whatever... end of topic

And branding those that don't agree with it. :p

It's just not sensible - Tradeskillers aren't meant for fighting - to make the most of thier playing experience - it's perfectly reasonable to give them a safe zone to trade in.

If there were no safezones - rolling a non combat tradeskiller to max out on his abilities would be like rolling a kick me sign.

bounty
05-11-04, 20:23
no point to th w/o it being a safezone although i think faction hqs should be only safe zones

jernau
05-11-04, 20:48
What would be really cool is if there was a faction that was based there and ran the place. They could be experts in technology and tradeskills and have a cool back-story about their fight for intellect freedom and autonomy. They could have an ER to match with no PvP and a CST/RES/etc chip as the reward. They could be neutral/allied to all the main pro-NC and anti-NC factions to support their free market which in turned paid for state of the art defences neither side wanted to challenge. That would be awesome.

Oh..... wait..... :mad:

Kierz
06-11-04, 07:41
Aside from the fact I love TH, I would trade in another place such as MB, but for some reason I'm not allowed there.. it seems there are new crahn guards that think fighting someone who has 20% si 4v1 is pvp...

Oh and I think it's about time you moved the GR area into the Main Retail Area, and put a few npc's there, the area by the 2 GR's is getting too crouded, and at the moment the Main Retail Area is getting wasted and it looks pretty :cool: hehe

Just one other thing that TH needs imo, a furniture/flower shop \o/ (gwan KK)

Xylaz
06-11-04, 16:40
to exo(opaleye) and other dumb idiots:

learn to read, seriously, you say you have missed my points while it seems you didnt read my posts at all. All those moronic remarks about gr camping makes me really want to log into the game and kill every idiot out there but unfortunately it would only prove yours.
Reading and comprehension: requires a little bit of intelectual work as well as some eye coordination but its possible for everyone with the IQ higher than 71 (as far as i remember). So really, try to use your brains at first then post.

My point is (and really i feel fuckin insulted by having to explain one simple thing like 20 times all over again in one thread...) that safezone destroys any sense of roleplaying. I'm talking about reputation system - if u want to trade with an enemy - you have to know him personally (or his reputation) enough to trust him or risk... (yes, the thrill, yes the uncertainty, yes, the danger - that is what i call fun) With TH as a safezone you dont need to even know the guy, you dont need to worry about anything, jus trade with your worst enemy & forget about it. That's what i feel is wrong here.
From such point of view safezone is an exploit, nothing more.
Besides, like i said before (over and over again...) i was trading with my tradeskiller in MB for a few months and never been ganked by the people i was trading with - even if they were hostile to me, so - surprise surprise - people do have some ethic rules and manage to obey them (i repeat: they were enemies, red to me). Sure i got ganked many many times (it was saturn after all) by people raiding MB, but NEVER by the one i was trading with (though every time i was trading with the red, i kept my stealth prepared)

Summary (for those with a short attention spam problem):
TH beeing a safezone is a problem/exploit as it allows you to trade with everyone without any risk involved. It destroys any potential reputation system as you dont have to know the guy or his reputation. Even more - his reputation could be worst possible (scammer etc) and it still dont mean anything as you can still trade with him without any risk - and of course most people obviously will make such "dumb trade" because its easier. simply as it is.

jernau
06-11-04, 16:51
Even if everyone agreed with you idea of fun (which they don't) your theory collapses because items are more valuable than survival. Scammers are more danger in a safezone than a non-safezone so actually the risk wrt trades is greater as it is now.

Glok
06-11-04, 16:55
Yeah just pepper your post with insults to make your point...

Most tradeskillers don't like getting ganked, I don't, which is why I lomed some dex on my trader to get 95 TC.

Simply, if TH wasn't a safe zone, no-one would go there except to get spy PA and heavy belts.

Xylaz
06-11-04, 16:59
yes Jernau, i'm aware of it, but that's quite another problem with people attaching too much importance to their equipment/items. Apart from the mc5 i dont really see any item which wouldnt be relatively easy to replace.

And the best protection from scammers would be reputation systems as well. But now there's simply no need for any reputation to work.

Spermy
06-11-04, 16:59
to exo(opaleye) and other dumb idiots:

learn to read, seriously, you say you have missed my points while it seems you didnt read my posts at all. All those moronic remarks about gr camping makes me really want to log into the game and kill every idiot out there but unfortunately it would only prove yours.
Reading and comprehension: requires a little bit of intelectual work as well as some eye coordination but its possible for everyone with the IQ higher than 71 (as far as i remember). So really, try to use your brains at first then post.

Ideedy indeedy - It's nowt to do with GR camping - although i can see it being a pain.

My point is (and really i feel fuckin insulted by having to explain one simple thing like 20 times all over again in one thread...) that safezone destroys any sense of roleplaying. I'm talking about reputation system - if u want to trade with an enemy - you have to know him personally (or his reputation) enough to trust him or risk... (yes, the thrill, yes the uncertainty, yes, the danger - that is what i call fun)

It's not really fun trying to find a guy if you know no one - IE if you're new to the game. Not everyone has a buddy list the size of my arm...

With TH as a safezone you dont need to even know the guy, you dont need to worry about anything, jus trade with your worst enemy & forget about it.
That's what i feel is wrong here.

Funny - HAVEN implies safety - in fact it's a synonym for safety. And I doubt KK will be changing it to Tech gankfest. As an angel - I'm glad to see my former home hasn't degenerated into just a glorified neofrag arena. I like TH being a safezone - none of the wankers dicking about in there like there was on uranus.

I would also like to state that I fell "fucking insulted" that my faction had to leave thier home - only for it to be handed over to a bunch of people who do nothing but whine about having it as it is. I love it being a safezone - and I'm getting an appt back there ASAP. If people like you don't like tech haven then I wish that KK would give it the fuck back to the angels.

From such point of view safezone is an exploit, nothing more.

no it's something everyone can do - and it's been worked into the NC storyline - so is by it's very nature - RP.

Besides, like i said before (over and over again...) i was trading with my tradeskiller in MB for a few months and never been ganked by the people i was trading with - even if they were hostile to me, so - surprise surprise - people do have some ethic rules and manage to obey them (i repeat: they were enemies, red to me). Sure i got ganked many many times (it was saturn after all) by people raiding MB, but NEVER by the one i was trading with (though every time i was trading with the red, i kept my stealth prepared)

I'm not disputing the fact that you can trade with enemies. My view is that why bother with the shot in the back from someone - when tech haven is a safer area.

Summary (for those with a short attention spam problem):
TH beeing a safezone is a problem/exploit as it allows you to trade with everyone without any risk involved. It destroys any potential reputation system as you dont have to know the guy or his reputation. Even more - his reputation could be worst possible (scammer etc) and it still dont mean anything as you can still trade with him without any risk - and of course most people obviously will make such "dumb trade" because its easier. simply as it is.

all those mistakes can be made anywhere - I can scam people in DOY center if I was so inclined. You say it's a problem because there is no risk - why is no risk a problem? you eluded to it, but never really explained it.

Besides - people still go to TH to trade - if they didn't like it they wouldn't go and you would have more support in this thread.

As it is - the mob has spoken - and we're staying in TH.

jernau
06-11-04, 17:11
yes Jernau, i'm aware of it, but that's quite another problem with people attaching too much importance to their equipment/items. Apart from the mc5 i dont really see any item which wouldnt be relatively easy to replace.

And the best protection from scammers would be reputation systems as well. But now there's simply no need for any reputation to work.
People will always attach value to their items (weapons particularly) for all sorts of reasons, not just financial value. That's part of any RPG, if items were worth nothing this would just be quake with slower, less balanced combat.

Becuase of how the tradeskill system works in NC there is a huge advantage to the scammers. IME that means we do have a pretty good reputation system now. It may only be word-of-mouth but it does work. I certainly wouldn't let an unknown repair any of my rares, PA, etc and I have little pity for those that do and then lose their stuff.

Another thing to consider is that because of the excessive specialisation in NC most tradeskillers need some kind of safety-net. If you remove safezones you'll find that there will be two kinds of tradeskillers - LEd ones (ie a mobile safezone) and those that live in clan apts and only work for their clan.

Jesterthegreat
06-11-04, 17:19
People will always attach value to their items (weapons particularly) for all sorts of reasons, not just financial value. That's part of any RPG, if items were worth nothing this would just be quake with slower, less balanced combat.

Becuase of how the tradeskill system works in NC there is a huge advantage to the scammers. IME that means we do have a pretty good reputation system now. It may only be word-of-mouth but it does work. I certainly wouldn't let an unknown repair any of my rares, PA, etc and I have little pity for those that do and then lose their stuff.

Another thing to consider is that because of the excessive specialisation in NC most tradeskillers need some kind of safety-net. If you remove safezones you'll find that there will be two kinds of tradeskillers - LEd ones (ie a mobile safezone) and those that live in clan apts and only work for their clan.

agreed on all counts.

reputation system will always exist cos i base my using a tradeskiller on what i hear about him from people i know.

tbh if i wanted a team deathmatch i would play CS or something... i like the PvP ingame, i like the idea behind the game, i like the community in the game.

there are a whole llot less safezones now... but this seems to be a reason to bitch and call people "carebear"s

Xylaz
06-11-04, 19:46
...anyways what's exactly the problem with quake/cs issues eh? And what the hell does it have to do with NC? And why removing the safezones is always equal to changing the game to FPS in the eyes of certain people?

I've never played any FPS (apart from wolfenstein 3d long time ago) and still my opinion is that world without a safezone is the only world where real rp can be executed. Safezone is an exploit.

[edit] And no, i dont play NC only for pvp purposes, i'm a roleplayer and pvp is a part of rp, as well as *all* other ingame activities, like tradeskilling, for example, but when there is no (even potential) danger involved, there is no sense for roleplaying at all. And that's where it is wrong (IMO at least)

[edit2] and no, my opinion is, that, frankly speaking, tradeskillers need to grow some balls and just start trading as i do, without worrying too much about the possibilities of horrible death and loosing one (onoz...a complete disaster... ) item. Its obvious they dont want to. Its easier to yawn at the computer screen typing and trading at the safezone - leaving all non safe zone areas for fights. Of course, its easier, its safer, its more 'user friendly'. But that is what i'm against of. It doesnt require even attention from the player itself, just log into game, alt + tab and check the mail, then alt+tab back and shout info about trading, alt+tab and check the www, alt+tab go back to work, alt+tab... etc

Spermy
06-11-04, 20:34
...anyways what's exactly the problem with quake/cs issues eh? And what the hell does it have to do with NC? And why removing the safezones is always equal to changing the game to FPS in the eyes of certain people?

I've never played any FPS (apart from wolfenstein 3d long time ago) and still my opinion is that world without a safezone is the only world where real rp can be executed. Safezone is an exploit.

[edit] And no, i dont play NC only for pvp purposes, i'm a roleplayer and pvp is a part of rp, as well as *all* other ingame activities, like tradeskilling, for example, but when there is no (even potential) danger involved, there is no sense for roleplaying at all. And that's where it is wrong (IMO at least)

[edit2] and no, my opinion is, that, frankly speaking, tradeskillers need to grow some balls and just start trading as i do, without worrying too much about the possibilities of horrible death and loosing one (onoz...a complete disaster... ) item. Its obvious they dont want to. Its easier to yawn at the computer screen typing and trading at the safezone - leaving all non safe zone areas for fights. Of course, its easier, its safer, its more 'user friendly'. But that is what i'm against of. It doesnt require even attention from the player itself, just log into game, alt + tab and check the mail, then alt+tab back and shout info about trading, alt+tab and check the www, alt+tab go back to work, alt+tab... etc

Dude - we all don't have your ideals is what we're trying to say - it might in your mind be the greatest idea since sliced bread - but people don't like it - whatever flavour you make it - we don't want to get rid of safezones.

Now as for the bold comments.

1) CS - is the devil - The second NC goes that way I'm fucking off. The whole playstyle irritates the crap outta me as does the mentality that comes with it

2) You keep saying this- explain it, or stop repeating it.

3) Tradeskilling is a noncombat affair. You don't spec any combat skills to use it - the tools can't be used to hurt people - why should these people be made to participate in combat?

4) one item - an implant a tool - whatever - why bother putting yourself in that positition - IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE. If you are not specced for combat - why participate? Trading in a safezone is the sensible way.

5) Some people do tradeskilling for thier clan - they're saving other people from having to go through all that Bollocks. They're doing a public service and saving you from having to use up slots for tradeskillers. Seeing as you find it boring - If I were in your shoes - I'd be glad you have someone else to do it for you.

QuantumDelta
06-11-04, 21:06
Not much difference in the mentality of most of the people who play CS and NC tbh.

Actually, when you get to a higher skill level a lot of the CSers are less ......................................
Sociopathic.

Spermy
06-11-04, 21:11
Lies! LIES!

Sorry - I will add a side note to my CS comment - I am horrifically prejudiced toward CS players - as the majority of them come of as either

Arses
12 year olds
Sociopaths
Peados looking to find a mark
Just fucking obscenely retarded

OR

a combination of the above.

QuantumDelta
06-11-04, 21:15
Never had a death threat in CS, regardless of competitive level.
Can't say the same for NC.

Spermy
06-11-04, 21:17
Point taken - [ edited ]

QuantumDelta
06-11-04, 21:18
[ edited ]
edit;
And I really need to change my sig.

Spermy
06-11-04, 21:20
You certainly do! :lol:

[ edited ]

Xeno LARD
06-11-04, 21:28

disgusting

It's part of the game now, Live with it.

Kiel
07-11-04, 02:37
@Xylaz - calm down, once you start to shout / start swearing you've lost the discussion.

Yeh, Xylaz has a small point about the safezones. I think they should be partially taken away and implement a policing system in TH. Killing someone should be allowed, but being able to hack the belt shouldnt. But there should be a penalty if omeone gets killed. It would kinda be like a kamikaze effort, kill someone and then be killed by guards.

Nobody forced anyone to take out their LE O_o

Safezones i think, however they should be in the faction HQ or a room were you can only GR into which would prevent zoning in and out of zones. Even a system were to can GR from the faction HQ to your starter apartment without penalty or cost, so there is no HQ camping outside. Thats just a thought though... :confused:

MrChumble
07-11-04, 03:20
Rawne, my main trader, is 100% tradeskiller. His only slight nod toward PvP is speccing enough T-C to stealth and run away from trouble. As it happens I don't work out of TH, only out of the NEXT and TT faction HQs. If someone anti-city asks for my services I'd generally decline, unless I know them, in which case we'd arrange for a safe place to meet.

That safe place is inevitably techhaven these days, because it's the only place we can both get to easily, cheaply and safely. If TH wasn't a safezone we'd find somewhere else to meet; if no safezones were available I wouldn't meet them, it would be that simple. I carry a 150 cst tool, a 150 research tool, 150 rep tool and a recycle tool, plus gloves for all those skills, my PA, stealth tool, various rares usually etc. The point is I'd not risk going somewhere unsafe to do trade with someone who's going to be attacking my allies later on, and could just as easily turn round and attack me knowing I'd likely drop something of value.

If TH wasn't a safezone trade would suffer - especially cross alliance trade of rare faction items - and the only winners would be the people that enjoy killing tradeskillers (and noobs, dogs, babies etc). If there's nothing else to be gained, and I'd not piss on some of these people if they were burning, then why remove the safe zones?

For all people go on about this being a PvP game it's quite possible to play for months, even years, without engaging in PvP of any kind and still have plenty to do. The game accomodates PvMers, traders, LE users etc and there's no way that should change just so PKing is easier.

TH is lovely the way it is. Player shops will improve it still further. Good job KK, please don't change it :)

Jesterthegreat
07-11-04, 11:11
Nobody forced anyone to take out their LE O_o

Nobody forced anyoyone to go to TH O_o

i find tradeskillers all over the place. the majority may be there... but i 99% garantee its not the only gr they have (you can no longer start in TH. the only way it is their only gr is if they bought a TH apt and activated the gr, without tagging any others. and lets face it thats an unlikely situation)

jernau
07-11-04, 14:24
My Quake comment was about the value and importance of items in RPGs not the (im)maturity level of players in any game or the safe-zone issue directly.

Jesterthegreat
07-11-04, 14:27
My Quake comment was about the value and importance of items in RPGs not the (im)maturity level of players in any game or the safe-zone issue directly.

we tend to "dispute" each other recently... but i agree :)

we have way less safezones now. personally i am a PvPer and i like it like this... however TH is fine as it is, it offers tradeskilelrs a place to tradeskill while allowing them to use all 4 head imp slots. if you dont want to use TH then dont. the majority are in TH alot, but good tradeskillers will be willing to meet you. especially if you get to know them as apposed to calling them expoiters (by being in a safe zone)

tomparadox
07-11-04, 18:32

I dont have a problem with it if you make another safezoned area that everyone in the game can go to and trade, but untill that happens TH should remain a safezone...

couldent TH being a safezone be RP then? TH is a traders city, without safezones not many would go there which RP wise would reduce THs profit - hense FA made it a safezone so they can get safe busness. thats just my thought though, could be wrong i supose...

ok...thats the bigest pile of shit iv ever herd, you make a trade skiller high lvl and go into MB, watch how fast youll get ganked...

forgive my spelling... MSWORD whont work now for some reason gota fix it Oo