PDA

View Full Version : Fatals and theme weeks.

QuickFix
03-11-04, 16:29
I know you said you wont attempt to fix fre's as they have been hiding in millions of lines of code, and granted that must be a monster task.

But as a future theme week would it be possible to find bugs created in more recent patches.

Such as this c++ runtime error

it only came into existance towards the last 1 or 2 NC1 patch, and is now imo, worse than the FRE ever has been/was.

Or how about the gaurentee of standing in plaza for more than 5 minutes and you free memory dropping to nothing.

My system has 3gb of DDR in it, my pagefile is 6gb.

when i launch NC i have 600/2650mb of free memory, within being in plaza 1 for 30 secods its into single figures, not a fault with my pc, with the damn memory leaks.

Please for the love of god concentrate a theme week or maybe just every week on fixing the bugs.

i couldnt give a fuck about the new features, WOC-pointless time sink, character shops - no tradeskiller, doy bombers - no pilot/driver.

Fix the bugs and i will have no need to whine.

[edit] fix the grav lifts aswell, you have been through this process once already, in NC1, it should not have been re-introduced again.

hegemonic
05-11-04, 00:35
FRE's occur more often now than I've ever seen (since December 2002).

Please work on fixing this KK.

Jesterthegreat
05-11-04, 00:39
I know you said you wont attempt to fix fre's as they have been hiding in millions of lines of code, and granted that must be a monster task.

But as a future theme week would it be possible to find bugs created in more recent patches.

it only came into existance towards the last 1 or 2 NC1 patch, and is now imo, worse than the FRE ever has been/was.

Or how about the gaurentee of standing in plaza for more than 5 minutes and you free memory dropping to nothing.

My system has 3gb of DDR in it, my pagefile is 6gb.

when i launch NC i have 600/2650mb of free memory, within being in plaza 1 for 30 secods its into single figures, not a fault with my pc, with the damn memory leaks.

Please for the love of god concentrate a theme week or maybe just every week on fixing the bugs.

i couldnt give a fuck about the new features, WOC-pointless time sink, character shops - no tradeskiller, doy bombers - no pilot/driver.

Fix the bugs and i will have no need to whine.

[edit] fix the grav lifts aswell, you have been through this process once already, in NC1, it should not have been re-introduced again.

while i agree that those things need fixing... i dont agree with the "fix what effects me" attitude

:edit: and i fatal maybe once a day... thats it.

im not saying "don't fix it cos it doesnt effect me" :p

Xylaz
05-11-04, 02:26
then i'm saying

fix it cause atm NC stability & performance is the major problem, its much much worse than it ever was before.

Jesterthegreat
05-11-04, 02:58
fix it cause atm NC stability & performance is the major problem, its much much worse than it ever was before.

i have to disagree... its way better now than since beta 3 for me

Yelly
05-11-04, 03:10
Fre is not an issue for me as I rarely get them at all.
And those runtime errors I get when I exit the game mostly.
And that is because memory is low ingame.
And I got over 500 meg ram free as I start the game and can gladly play for 30-45 min before I relog so I got no clue how your memory is going down so fast.Cannot be the game only.Must be something else that eats memory as you play.

Jesterthegreat
05-11-04, 03:21
Fre is not an issue for me as I rarely get them at all.
And those runtime errors I get when I exit the game mostly.
And that is because memory is low ingame.
And I got over 500 meg ram free as I start the game and can gladly play for 30-45 min before I relog so I got no clue how your memory is going down so fast.Cannot be the game only.Must be something else that eats memory as you play.

i play the game in 2 hour blocks at least and i have no major memory problems

Xylaz
05-11-04, 03:27
i got crash every 10 mins at average

plus endless syncs every few zones

plus memory leaks which causes additional crashes/freezes

plus shitty performance (about 3x worse than in NC1 with exactly the same system spec as with nc1)

just to counterweight the positive feedback :p

Jesterthegreat
05-11-04, 03:29
i got crash every 10 mins at average

plus endless syncs every few zones

plus memory leaks which causes additional crashes/freezes

plus shitty performance (about 3x worse than in NC1 with exactly the same system spec as with nc1)

just to counterweight the positive feedback :p

i have played for 4 hours today including much alt tabbing and i have not run out of memory once, fataled once, crashed to desktop once or gone into perma sync once.

epij
05-11-04, 04:07
crashing to desktop at least once / hour
synchdropping on zone flipping 75% of the time

but i'm an addict, i can fix this with coffee.

Dirus
05-11-04, 05:53

Let me guess. That was about the time you installed a C++ Compiler right?

QuickFix
05-11-04, 11:28
Let me guess. That was about the time you installed a C++ Compiler right?

how about no, i know fuck all about c++ and have no interest in it.

smart ass

that is the typical attitude i have come to expect from all things relating to KK. people have been complainng about this for the last 2-3 months.

maybe thinking before running your mouth would help. :mad:

athon
05-11-04, 12:05

smart ass

that is the typical attitude i have come to expect from all things relating to KK. people have been complainng about this for the last 2-3 months.

Maybe thinking before running your mouth would help. :mad:

Firstly, Lupus is a volunteer, not a KK employee (as it says in his signature). We have him to thank for much better balanced weapons and the skill guide thread amongst other things he's done in his own time.

Secondly, Lupus' question was perfectly valid. After installing a (particularly Microsoft) development tool on your PC you'll find that errors don't necessarily occur more often, but they get different types of messages (more descriptive - from a programmers point of view).

Finally, KK have never, as far as I've seen, said that they won't fix FRE's and memory leaks (look at just about any patch notes since NC2 retail began), but that it's not really a topic you can have a theme week on.

I've been active again the last few weeks since the beginning of NC2 retail (mainly work, but I can't say that the amount of problems didn't affect my decision at all) and so far I've had one single crash to desktop - and that's running 2 clients on the same PC on a frequent basis too.

For memory, I've found that a memory cleaner helps. I'm currently using 'Maxmem' from Analogx.

Since NC2 is about the only thing on my Games PC at the moment, I'm also not running many other programs on this PC now - basically just Winamp, the profile tool for my Nostromo N52 and the standard nvidia background programs are all that I have runnign other than standard Windows stuff - other than that it's just normal Windows XP SP2 services (minus themes, security center, firewall, print spooler and a few other services I don't use).

Athon Solo

QuickFix
05-11-04, 12:20
Athon, if you bothered to read what i said "RELATING" not KK staff, "RELATING" meaning he is part of KK's team be it voluntary or not.

and you will also notice i ahve not installed any c++ programs on my PC, i know this because my PC has nothing but NC on it, aside from MSN, AV Software and my second Firewall.

and it was the way lupus remarked that brought my reply, the sarcasm construed from his comments.

so what could cause this c++ error if i have no c++ compiler?

Crest
05-11-04, 12:27

smart ass

Slow down a little there,
Lupus is not paid to take abuse, As far as I know, Lupus is not paid and takes lots of abuse.

There is an assumption here .... Everything wrong is a problem with what KK has done.
Sometimes, stability issues are not because of the vendors software, but possible instabilities within our own opperating environments....

I not saying your system is screwed, but what I am saying is ...

KK have tested software on their machines, these may / may not cause these errors. If they don't then the problem would lie in, clients environment. This include OS version, Driver versions, Patch versions ......
As we know Windows is not all that stable, added with all viruses, and spy ware.... added with some crappy hardware.

Now what you are asking is for KK to be able to have taken all these into consideration when coding. When a new vendor designs drivers, KK needs to take this into consideration too....

I think the point of lupus was .... Have you made any changes on your side, this will try an estblish where they can look to resolve this. Its hard to fix something when you can't duplicate the problem

Jesterthegreat
05-11-04, 12:44
Maybe thinking before running your mouth would help. :mad:

Firstly, Lupus is a volunteer, not a KK employee (as it says in his signature). We have him to thank for much better balanced weapons and the skill guide thread amongst other things he's done in his own time.

Secondly, Lupus' question was perfectly valid. After installing a (particularly Microsoft) development tool on your PC you'll find that errors don't necessarily occur more often, but they get different types of messages (more descriptive - from a programmers point of view).

Finally, KK have never, as far as I've seen, said that they won't fix FRE's and memory leaks (look at just about any patch notes since NC2 retail began), but that it's not really a topic you can have a theme week on.

I've been active again the last few weeks since the beginning of NC2 retail (mainly work, but I can't say that the amount of problems didn't affect my decision at all) and so far I've had one single crash to desktop - and that's running 2 clients on the same PC on a frequent basis too.

For memory, I've found that a memory cleaner helps. I'm currently using 'Maxmem' from Analogx.

Since NC2 is about the only thing on my Games PC at the moment, I'm also not running many other programs on this PC now - basically just Winamp, the profile tool for my Nostromo N52 and the standard nvidia background programs are all that I have runnign other than standard Windows stuff - other than that it's just normal Windows XP SP2 services (minus themes, security center, firewall, print spooler and a few other services I don't use).

Athon Solo

i fatal / crash very rarely too...

and even if Lupus' reply was worded sarcasticly its a valid question... a "no" would have done.

QuickFix
05-11-04, 12:54
a no would have done eh?

when someone speaks to me in a negative way, i will speak back to them as such.

so back on topic plz.

Jesterthegreat
05-11-04, 12:57
a no would have done eh?

when someone speaks to me in a negative way, i will speak back to them as such.

so back on topic plz.

on topic...

you were discussing a C++ theme week then eh?

QuickFix
05-11-04, 13:04
no i was discussing that this error needs to be fixed.

are you saying it only occurs on my system?

Jesterthegreat
05-11-04, 13:08
no i was discussing that this error needs to be fixed.

are you saying it only occurs on my system?

scroll up and check for yourself... i dont think i said that...

if you just want to point out everything than needs fixing you will be here a long time :p

Dirus
05-11-04, 19:31
Sorry if I came off the wrong way, my question wasn't ment as sarcastic or negative.

The reason for my question is that I've found that when people install a C++ compiler or debugging program, they state that they're now getting C++ errors from the game. In most cases they were the same errors just snagged by the Compiler/Debugger and re-labled as a C++ error.

DigestiveBiscui
05-11-04, 19:33
if i was KK, seeing as MJS said they were in a good financial position then hire 2 coders JUST to work on fixing FRE's, then let CoDi carry on with the normal stuff :)

Jesterthegreat
05-11-04, 19:35
Sorry if I came off the wrong way, my question wasn't ment as sarcastic or negative.

The reason for my question is that I've found that when people install a C++ compiler or debugging program, they state that they're now getting C++ errors from the game. In most cases they were the same errors just snagged by the Compiler/Debugger and re-labled as a C++ error.

it definatly came off as sarcastic... but not offensive :)

staff / helpers who act human > strict business types that run some games.