PDA

View Full Version : disbale windows messenger - how to?

LOST
03-11-04, 01:49
can someone tell me how to disables windows msnmsgr.exe.

i dont mean msn messenger the little chat program, thats not a problem.

there is an inherent messenger within windows and it has started to piss off my comp. since patch117, which i'm sure is just coincidence, the messenger has started using more and more process time and bandwidth. meaning im getting serious lag-age....not just in game but just trying to use my comp.

hope someone does...had to restart my comp a few times tonight and its really beginning to.......:mad:

Seven
03-11-04, 02:18
Try here.
http://www.blackviper.com/

LOST
03-11-04, 14:19
thanks seven.

site was a little strange....read quite a bit....

eventually it reminded me about the running services.....now i just feel a little silly.

anyway, cheers.

LOST
04-11-04, 18:58
erm, next question....

if the winows messenger service has been disabled (not turned of automatic load) but the program is still being launched....

obviously something is calling upon it...i have very little running on my computer...i like to keep it has free as possible...so,

could this be a spyware jobby ?

Seven
05-11-04, 01:27
Are you using any programs that require it?

Anyway, it's always a VERY good idea to check for spyware.
I do it daily.

I use two.
http://www.download.com/3000-2144-10045910.html
and
http://www.spybot.info/en/download/index.html

naimex
05-11-04, 07:34
erm, next question....

if the winows messenger service has been disabled (not turned of automatic load) but the program is still being launched....

obviously something is calling upon it...i have very little running on my computer...i like to keep it has free as possible...so,

could this be a spyware jobby ?

set it to disabled, and press stop on it (under control panelt/administration tools/services)

open start menu/run/msconfig

go to last pane, see if theres anything there that shouldn´t be there...

lot of viruses and bad things put itself there.

LOST
05-11-04, 14:37
been there done that naimex, thx though.

just downloaded the aaw se version (tried aaw6 a while ago and it didnt do a thing, or didnt notice it) after scan it spewed a whole load of crap to quarantine..i dont know the program so i presume when its done its thing i should be good to go, with an occasional run to check the system.

cant help but feel a reinstal is coming, since patch 117 if i fre or alt f4 i have to reset my comp :wtf: the client wont run after (neither will explorer). just have to escape more. hehe.

thanks for the responses guys.

LOST
05-11-04, 18:25
couldnt edit....but anyway,

after a restart, scandisk & defrag it would appear the client doesnt stop responding...i think i might be back :D (feels the jinx already)

thx again guys

athon
13-11-04, 11:47
msnmsgr.exe = MSN Messenger (chat program)

The Windows Messenger service has nothing to do with MSN Messenger. It's basically for sending messages between computers on a network.

The Windows Messenger service is automatically disabled after installing Windows XP Service Pack 2.

You can uninstall MSN Messenger from Windows XP by running the following command (Start > Run):
RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\inf\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

Athon Solo