PDA

View Full Version : Hacknet // yet another Issuethread

epij
02-11-04, 16:59
welly well. after the droner weeks, it seems time for some hacknet months.

apart from the know fact that some 40/40 mobs are damagebugged here is my list :

- attack soft visible FEEDBACK please

- runcasting (with accuracy loss but still ) please. like a normal attacker can also strafe around while attacking, it would be a bit more INTERESTING to combat at hacknet if this would be able as well. its too much psi based. and runcasting seems difficult.

- modules, modules, modules ... a wider range of software would be ace, but we know that already.

- HCK booster. if there are psi boosters, do HCK boosters as well. its no use once you're charged up, but its takes minutes to get you charged after entering hacknet and this is an open INVITE to entrypoint campers. hello ?

- either make the paths like tunnels that you cant fall down, or do something else. but reset_position is rather unintuitive.

- loot from every hacknet mob. maybe datacubes with random BPs instead of techparts for higher lvl mobs, or any junk thats worth at least SOMETHING at YOs.. gaining money as a hacker is still an issue (not to speak of the combo hacker / droner ... its the pure moneyburn combo )

- attack software seperated in : shortrange damage dealing, ranged and maybesomething like "meelee" where you actually have to "touch" the mob and deal more damage as for ranged?

- armor and "external" stuff has no effects in HN, if so, then please dont let it take damage when mobs fire at you.

my 3 cents.

and generally about hacking :
i feel insulted to hack a TL30 box or the genrep with hackskill beyond 140.
can't there be a forumla that gives you an instant hack ? like SIMPLE : SKILL - 100 = TL that you can instantly open. oh please. its boring to wait 17 seconds :)

StryfeX
02-11-04, 17:44
can't there be a forumla that gives you an instant hack ? like SIMPLE : SKILL - 100 = TL that you can instantly open. oh please. its boring to wait 17 seconds :)You have to wait 17 seconds? o_O You should be able to finish the hack in about 10-15 seconds.

Also, an additional gripe about hacknet.... no low-level software for the starting hacker. Can we get some software that only requires around 5 INT?

--Stryfe

Smock
02-11-04, 17:56
You have to wait 17 seconds? o_O You should be able to finish the hack in about 10-15 seconds.

Also, an additional gripe about hacknet.... no low-level software for the starting hacker. Can we get some software that only requires around 5 INT?

--Stryfe

As it is now it wouldn't be of any use. whne I first entered the hacknet at rank /20 about witl 70 abt hack and and 65 TC I got owned by the 20/20 mobs in infected#1. The lowest defensive module won't protect me from much, lower than that would be completely useless.

Best way is still not to start as hacker but leveling up due to "RL" cobat, adding or lomming points to hack at higher char. lvls.

Regarding those 17 sec's for a box hack: Try speedhacking. :cool:

J. Folsom
02-11-04, 17:58
can't there be a forumla that gives you an instant hack ? like SIMPLE : SKILL - 100 = TL that you can instantly open. oh please. its boring to wait 17 seconds :)Force the computer to use all it's nodes, then use up all your own ones. My current record is at 10 seconds for one hack.

Also, I challenge people to hack a High Security Safe (The ones for sale as furniture), I've hacked one once before because I was curious how "impossible" it was, it's definitely possible though, but it's really freaking hard.

Erestas
02-11-04, 18:27
- runcasting (with accuracy loss but still ) please. like a normal attacker can also strafe around while attacking, it would be a bit more INTERESTING to combat at hacknet if this would be able as well. its too much psi based. and runcasting seems difficult.
dont think so, movment speed is pretty high in HN, and then casting while moving...? maybe casting while walking, but please not while running.

- modules, modules, modules ... a wider range of software would be ace, but we know that already.
For what? Attack, Shield, Heal, what else do you want? AntiBuff? Freeze Software?

- HCK booster. if there are psi boosters, do HCK boosters as well. its no use once you're charged up, but its takes minutes to get you charged after entering hacknet and this is an open INVITE to entrypoint campers. hello ?
I want to see a hacker who can camp in a enemy faction DNS for more then 3 minutes.

- either make the paths like tunnels that you cant fall down, or do something else. but reset_position is rather unintuitive.
agree, it would be nice if the gravlifts would reach to the ground.

- loot from every hacknet mob. maybe datacubes with random BPs instead of techparts for higher lvl mobs, or any junk thats worth at least SOMETHING at YOs.. gaining money as a hacker is still an issue (not to speak of the combo hacker / droner ... its the pure moneyburn combo )
Im a Pistol/Hacker Spy, with 130 Hack and 105 HighTech-combat.
I make 100.000 credits in nearly 40 minutes at 40/40 mobs, i have no armor that can be damaged, only spells can get damaged, i will not lose any items when i die..... Thats pretty much money with this "nearly-no-risk" system, so why additional loot?

- attack software seperated in : shortrange damage dealing, ranged and maybesomething like "meelee" where you actually have to "touch" the mob and deal more damage as for ranged?
for what? most mobs are floating around at locations where you even cant touch them, why adding short or longe range software when you already can mod your software to this by yourself?

- armor and "external" stuff has no effects in HN, if so, then please dont let it take damage when mobs fire at you.
well agree, at the other point there should be a downside when you can easily reach every position on the necron map with the hacknet, without synaptic, ready for combat as soon as you pop out of the GR.

In my opionen, they should fix the mobs first.
30/30 have wrong ranks, a firewall/Uplink mob should make great damage, as it is now, but they should not be identified as 30/30.

Infected Storages.... no explantion needed...

TechHaven.... guys... mobs that fire over nearly the whole map, make incredible damage and are placed in such high numbers, that can only be a joke even if the mobs rank is 100/100

Multilink Software, correct values plz

Smock
02-11-04, 18:43
BTW: I have a TS monk with a bit of hack, enough to get into HN, but never is he able to get the requested BP for the databases. After choosing what I want, nothing happens.

BTW: aren't the TL90 DC's supposed to be coulored instead of reddened? I hope it hasn't got anything to do with the datacubes coming from the Crahn FSM, instead of the TSU FSM.

epij
02-11-04, 18:51
For what? Attack, Shield, Heal, what else do you want? AntiBuff? Freeze Software?

more varity to the whole system. its dull as the way it is now. there is no specialization anway. every hacker is the same. there should be at least "white-ice breakers", "blue-ice breakers" and "black-ice breakers" which resymbol the energy, fire and xray damagetype in normal world. same system different names, more fun.
and dont forget the fitting resistances, maybe hacknet-etherreal armors with those res types and the different deflection types.

specialized deflection to one of those types is effective, a "generic" shelter just gives a little of all...

I want to see a hacker who can camp in a enemy faction DNS for more then 3 minutes.

i'm in enemy DNS for 2 hours now...

Im a Pistol/Hacker Spy, with 130 Hack and 105 HighTech-combat.
I make 100.000 credits in nearly 40 minutes at 40/40 mobs, i have no armor that can be damaged, only spells can get damaged, i will not lose any items when i die..... Thats pretty much money with this "nearly-no-risk" system, so why additional loot?

that's you, not the entire world
there is no option for midlevel hackers. low level ones should not even enter, which is wrong as well.

for what? most mobs are floating around at locations where you even cant touch them, why adding short or longe range software when you already can mod your software to this by yourself?

varity and playing fun as described above. the "range mod" should not be in anway way comparable to a real long range software.

the hacknet as of now is boring, but it got great potential imho.

Erestas
02-11-04, 19:11
i'm in enemy DNS for 2 hours now...
and your camping at the place where players spawn when you enter the HN?
In fact near the portal to the faction firewall?

that's you, not the entire world
there is no option for midlevel hackers. low level ones should not even enter, which is wrong as well.
the hacknet is not an entire alternate playground with content and challenges for all levels, it is an addition to the rest of NC, in my opionen low level characters really should NOT enter HN, there are tons of possibilities to level as a new player, and even more for mid level.

Sorry for this but i cant understand why people think the hacknet should have more options to do things, or creating characters which are only for the hacknet, the hacknet will never be a clone of Shadowrun's Matrix or have these possibilities but all people demand such things. Its just an addition.
A pretty bugged addition as a side note.

epij
02-11-04, 19:24
Sorry for this but i cant understand why people think the hacknet should have more options to do things, or creating characters which are only for the hacknet, the hacknet will never be a clone of Shadowrun's Matrix or have these possibilities but all people demand such things. Its just an addition.
A pretty bugged addition as a side note.

thats your opinion, but no fact.

sanityislost
02-11-04, 20:20
Hacknet even with its problems is great.
I agree with all the points given by the treadstarter dude, and most of the rest
in here. HN really needs to more low level runner friendly and the leveling areas
REALLY needs fixed. The only area i really have problems in tho is the High sec
firewalls......way too many mobs with a running heal and a def i can only get to
the first lift and then im dead....its overkill.....im not asking to make it easy but
even with a team you wouldnt stand a chance

SiL ..:..

[VP]Orion
04-11-04, 14:03
- attack soft visible FEEDBACK please

It is actually, but VERY little, and only that small "tick" sound makes it easy to miss when someone attacks you. Would want it to be more noticable both visibly and audibly.

I can completely, fully runcast in Hacknet. I know that most cant though. Its a major reason I do so well in hacknet. Lots of people seem to think they are h-c tanks and stand still crouching while attacking. And as always, they are dead within a few seconds. Really cant understand why people dont move more, but it ends up in more dogtags for my collection. Bought a second app yesterday. :D

Well, I actually would want them to fix the multiattacks first. Dont know if anyone have managed to attack more than one mob with them, but atleast I havnt.

Couldnt agree more!! I can solo a 100/100 mob but my hackpool is completely dryed out when he's dead and sometimes I even have to stop a short while to let hackpool regen abit before finishing him off. Sure, several of them at once hurt rather much but the major reason for me only taking them on one at a time is the hackpool...

I kinda like that it does take some skill to move around quickly in a fight while managing to not fall down. Though currently its abit exaggerated. They should wide the paths abit but still keep it so people can fall down if they arent careful enough.

Hmm, well.. Maybe. Hard to figure out what really should be dropping though. Shouldnt be the factionhq datacubes atleast. Perhaps empty ones though. Or hackboosters...

One word: NO!! The networking code in NC is really crappy and the fast movement in hacknet makes it even worse. People are teleporting back and forth all the time due to the lag/crappy netcode. I know that the code is extremely bandwidth effective (worked awesome on my old 28k8 modem) but I feel that it really needs a boost with more updates being sent. Anyways, this lag would make the different range softwares work really bad. At my screen I might stand just beside someone doing tons of damage with my closeupsoft but on the other guys screen Im still far away so he's using his lower damage ranged soft. I know this is to a certain extent already an issue outside hacknet with melees damaging you while they are like 50m away but in hacknet its just soo much worse.

I agree completely! And also, make sure spells and drugs that you have gotten outside hacknet doesnt work at all (even for that short time they are working) inside. Currently some clans use that bug to buff themselves up like madmans and then just run and tag the terminal while Im hitting them with 20+ hits with my capped attack3 soft. Its just plain silly.

[VP]Orion
04-11-04, 14:11

agree, it would be nice if the gravlifts would reach to the ground.

Well, as Epij said, its easy to be there for hours and hours. Ive been doing the thing: Enter DNS, kill all 60/60 mobs and loot for codebreaker parts, exit and reenter for about on hour in a row. When I exited it was because I was overloaded with parts (and bored). The DNS isnt hard at all for someone with atleast lvl 2 soft and even less for someone with capped lvl3 soft. I can let ALL mobs in a DNS attack me at once and still easily outheal them.

Gravlifts. Yes.. Me and some friends talked about that a while ago. Would take alot of the anger people have about that its so easy to fall down away.

And btw. I agree with what most people have said. The biggest problem currently in hacknet is the bugged mobs. With capped spells I think I can take at most 8-10 hits from the 30/30 mobs. And they attack FAST. For the uplinks and such: As soon as you enter, RUN to the elevator and get down fast as hell. Almost all times you will only get hit with one hit from each of the 4 mobs and that shouldnt be any problem with a highlvl atleast.

Its strange, I can outheal a 100/100 but not a 30/30... Talk about bugged.. :p

Shellcode
04-11-04, 18:13
OK, so many good points there :) happy to see people thinking about how to improve Hacknet.

First of all, I want to point the most annoying bugs (at least for me):

• heal and shield don’t zone: the dot stay when you zone, but heal and shield become ineffective. If it’s a bug, it needs to be corrected. If it’s intended, plz remove the dots when we zone: it prevents us from launch again effective software.

• Run speed in HN is based on ath and agl, exactly as for the rest of the game. IMO it’s silly, why an athlete would be faster in a virtual world than a skilled hacker? If it’s a bug, plz add HCK and TC in the formula, best choice would be to kick off agl and ath from those formula. If it’s intended, well… illogic and game balancing problem (a crappy hacker monk would easily run away from a full hack spy, and escape quite all of the time, hack4 issue…)

• Multicast attack software: I think that they are not intended to be barrel weapon (@ [VP]Orion), but rather a software faster than the v0.3. v1.2 does less dmg (around180 instead of 280 for each resist), but his freq is cap at 210. In fact, this soft cast at 105freq max, they never reach the 210freq. That’s why they are far less interesting than the v0.3 atm. They also give you a bigger rank (75), which is bad for mob xp and credits, but that’s another problem (and not a bug).

• Fire resist seems to bug in HN: it give a MALUS on the way you resist to v0.3. I have to make more tests so I can’t be more precise, but my first little test gave me:
Resist fire 15 => 55
Dmg taken: 115 => 155
Tried with Shellcode shooting a full hack cap PE.

• Also, foreign shield cast doesn’t work.

• Rank from the firewall mobs is wrong. They seems to be 110/30, not 30/30. Moreover, their position are quite bad in the uplink: it’s easy to bypass them, killing them from below (“en dessous” en francais, not sure for the translation :p ). Faction firewalls are unbypassable, or maybe I just don’t find the technique (exploit?) to reach an enemy high db with a full cap hn spy. It should be very hard, but at least possible… Being in team is no point, except being 20 and having 19 canon fodders to die in front of you as you take down all countermeasure. At least on Pandore it’s unimaginable because of the low population (20 ppl in hn seems to be impossible to reach…). Maybe do i need the rare softwares to accomplish that ? Not sure, because i die really quikly in front of the 8 30/30 that can shoot at me when i enter the zone... (4 on the ground, 4 higher on stages)

• Storage 1, 2 & 3 in TH are empty, they need inhabitants. Ping of death are unbeatable, even with a team of 4 full cap full hn spy. Of course I see a way to exploit the situation (hn regular user will see what I mean) but it’s no fun… I want a real challenge, but a possible challenge, not a situation in which you have to systematically exploit (and more over, it seems to be a feature because of sync problems, not a bug…)

• Need for data tl100 IG, and mob drop for the cb tl50. And I expect that the hackboost will be clonable… or at least constructible, from hn mob loot for example.

• My theory about storage DNS mobs: they seems to be an inheritance from the firewall mob, that’s why they beat us so fast; plz inherit from the 60/60 object for the storage mobs, 60/60 in DNS are just a fine object for this.

• Missions from the Task manager don’t work; moreover there’s a bug that I’m not sure that I can reproduce but: when I was doing the BD epic run (mission 1), I try to take a mission from BD task manager: the scripts behind the missions system start to appear, showing some parameter in a perl script way of coding.

Well, I have so many others bugreports or suggestions… But I have work to do irl too :D

Expecting it will help a bit…

(sry in advance for my english)

EDIT: i miss it:
also need a better way to loot mobs; actual way is just boring. Moreover, looting the mob is often impossible if you killed them while they were flying... "You can't reach that", or the loot simply don't drop when you "take all", it stay in the mob until it deseaper...

shardl0r
04-11-04, 18:14
The three changes I want to see most are:

* some form of Hackboosters or a higher regeneration rate for higher level HCK - at the moment it seems to cap at about HCK 100

* the turret mob's ranks/damage changed - having things that deal massive damage but are easy to kill is a good standard idea but does not work with NC's netcode. It would be far better to have the firewall turrets doing moderate damage, with HEAVY HEAVY stun and have a healthy chunk of hitpoints - so you HAVE to kill them to get through - but your not totally screwed if you lag when zoning which happens......all the time.

* The op terminals need more than a click'n'go system for capture. HN is just too laggy for it to work properly - change it to fit the system! i.e. you have to click it and 'implant the virus/worm e.c.t' and then wait for it to act which takes X "lets say 15" seconds. If a defending hacker can click it in those 15 seconds - he neutralises the virus and the attacking hacker has to wait 30 seconds before he can do it again.
Or what about if the terminal is an NPC that the attacking hacker has to kill - 10 hits with capped lvl 3 software or so - can be healed and shielded by defending hackers. This would give a point to defending the op's HN terminal, at the moment enemy hackers can buff up outside the GR - and just lag run it to the terminal.
The netcode is not good enough for the current implementation. I'm not bashing the netcode, but the system in place should help work against the flaws - not exaggerate them.

shRd-

Shellcode
04-11-04, 18:18
* the turret mob's ranks/damage changed - having things that deal massive damage but are easy to kill is a good standard idea but does not work with NC's netcode. It would be far better to have the firewall turrets doing moderate damage, with HEAVY HEAVY stun and have a healthy chunk of hitpoints - so you HAVE to kill them to get through - but your not totally screwed if you lag when zoning which happens......all the time.
shRd-
That's the best idea i ever read on the subject...

sanityislost
04-11-04, 18:55
oh yea can you also fix when u zone ur not facing the click point u zoned in from
that really bugs me lol

SiL ..:..