PDA

View Full Version : DX9 Draw Distance.

Seven
01-11-04, 10:19
The draw distance in DX9 mode has been nerfed to, well, shit...
What was the reason and when will it be fixed?
I can't even look down my MB retail hall.

Using DX7 mode which sux on FPS and graphic glitches, but renders further.

Asus A7N8X
Athlon XP 2500+ running at 2.21 GHz (3200+)
1 GB Kingston PC 3200 running in dual channel mode
ATi 9800 Pro 128 MB
latest Omega Drivers
DirectX 9.0c
Dual Maxtor 7200 rpm HDD
Windows XP Home service pack 1

So far the tweaked DX9 engine sux and the old standby DX7 engine is worse than before.

Tweaks/settings advice on my end?
Thanks.

..oh a pic of the DX9 mode...

HTEC9900
01-11-04, 10:32
I get the same problem; in NC1 with DX7 I don't get that ugly black clipping plane, but in NC2 with DX9, I do. This won't completely resolve it, but push Fog Distance to max and disable Force Fog Distance. Although these settings will not remove the black clipping plane in the DoY sidestreets and sewers (and maybe MB), it does eliminate it from HackNet (looks damned good now) and makes the wastelands seem a bit more vast.

Currently, I have a GeForce4 Ti4600 / 128MB and it is supposedly a DirectX 8.x card. I'm tempted to save up for a higher-end DirectX 9.x card just to see the differences.

Omnituens
01-11-04, 10:46
- edit, you are using ATI card.

hm, both an ATI and a NVidia having this problem, that eliminates that one.

i cant even use Dx9 mode lol

Selendor
01-11-04, 11:42
Yeah I just upgraded to NC2 DX9 and immediately noticed the very poor draw distance, turning force fog on or off makes no difference it seems.

I was in the swamp caves and its a joke you can't see the far side of each little room. Will be switching back to DX7 as soon as possible. If this was the great graphics revolution we were promised then someone's taking the piss.

Dribble Joy
01-11-04, 11:50
Many people have allready mentioned this.

From what I can tell it's an attempt to keep the mem leak from completely destroying our systems/performance while they try to fix it.

I posted the same a while ago.
http://forum.neocron.com/showthread.php?t=114745

Seven
01-11-04, 23:55
Many people have allready mentioned this.

From what I can tell it's an attempt to keep the mem leak from completely destroying our systems/performance while they try to fix it.

I posted the same a while ago.
http://forum.neocron.com/showthread.php?t=114745

Yeah I remember that thread as I posted in it also.

I didn't know why it was like that though, but it makes sense about the memory leak.

Thanks for the answer. :)

MrChumble
02-11-04, 01:22
I get the same, but I only seem to get the memory leak in the wastes. If I stay inside I can play for hours with no problems at all, but just a minute or two in the wastes shags my system completely. I wish I could up the draw distance inside, just for the extra pretty.

dem0n
02-11-04, 02:36
I get a larger draw distance on my GeForce 2 Ti with 9.0c redistributable, I'm positive of it. Don't know whats up with you, did you try getting your vendors drivers rather than the chipset producer ones?

Bugs Gunny
02-11-04, 11:10
I use DX7 on my nvidia 6800 because of that.

MasterBee
02-11-04, 12:22
I'm guessing it would be fairly easy to fix the drawing distance... But anyone trying that on their own is more than likely to receive a permaban for it :(

Selendor
02-11-04, 15:45
Switched to Dx7 last night, graphics were cleaner, draw distance was better, no contest.