PDA

View Full Version : Remove epic kills

superfresh
30-10-04, 11:18
Yes, yes I know its a PvP game. But its dependent on a high population. So you log into NC2 and all over the trade channel you see "WTB/WTK *faction* for epic". If one were to play the game the way it was intended, they would go and hunt their appropriate epic player. But they have to be within ten ranks, and have to be, well, AROUND. I think KK has done some great things with NC, but are grossly dillusional about how viable some of the population-dependent aspects of the game are. Plus most of us have slaved through these epics, which to me are the least enjoyable part of the game, and are now just sweating through them to recover their characters' former status.

I advertised for a TS kill at 50k because I'm normally FA and am trying to scrape back up the epic items I had in NC1. If I wasn't, I would still be hard pressed to find a TS within the right rank (and if I'm a tank or some other non-stealther, am I going to march right into DoY?) anyway. Then I advertised 100k, etc.. They simply aren't there.

There are other population-dependent problems, like the way the new faction item system works. I understand this is all an effort to better integrate the players, but you need players to do this.

I'm not even sure how newcomers can function in NC2. Earning money is hard as hell, unless its presumed that every account has a barter/constructor, or that players are supposed to do thousands of missions. The drop rate isn't even great enough to sell parts. In particular, I'm thinking of a player who came into TH while I was poking, and having been killed, said "Yeah. Would be nice if all these older players hadn't come from NC1 with all of their uber stuff." I believe him. I'm glad I was able to scrape up what I came over with, but think new players are screwed because of it. C10's dont drop, and theres really no efficient way of gaining cash for younger players. But then my clan has a stockpile of TL 150 construction tools...

If there were the ideal number of players in the game I'm sure this would all work better. But there are not. Personally I think KK needs to make adjustments to compensate for crappy populations that will get worse since NC2 is NOT new user-friendly. Especially I think epic kills should be removed since a small population means it may take you weeks to find someone to kill, properly or otherwise, and at the same time will make NC2 more new-user/LE friendly. Yeah why not make epics viable for the LE's?

Take epic kills out!

Gunner_turret
30-10-04, 12:00
am I going to march right into DoY?
Yeah, im TT, i have to take out a lvl 33 to 53 FA, i cant see it happening with having no FA friends 'n' all

Seven
30-10-04, 12:05
Yes, yes I know its a PvP game. But its dependent on a high population. So you log into NC2 and all over the trade channel you see "WTB/WTK *faction* for epic". If one were to play the game the way it was intended, they would go and hunt their appropriate epic player. But they have to be within ten ranks, and have to be, well, AROUND. I think KK has done some great things with NC, but are grossly dillusional about how viable some of the population-dependent aspects of the game are. Plus most of us have slaved through these epics, which to me are the least enjoyable part of the game, and are now just sweating through them to recover their characters' former status.

I advertised for a TS kill at 50k because I'm normally FA and am trying to scrape back up the epic items I had in NC1. If I wasn't, I would still be hard pressed to find a TS within the right rank (and if I'm a tank or some other non-stealther, am I going to march right into DoY?) anyway. Then I advertised 100k, etc.. They simply aren't there.

There are other population-dependent problems, like the way the new faction item system works. I understand this is all an effort to better integrate the players, but you need players to do this.

I'm not even sure how newcomers can function in NC2. Earning money is hard as hell, unless its presumed that every account has a barter/constructor, or that players are supposed to do thousands of missions. The drop rate isn't even great enough to sell parts. In particular, I'm thinking of a player who came into TH while I was poking, and having been killed, said "Yeah. Would be nice if all these older players hadn't come from NC1 with all of their uber stuff." I believe him. I'm glad I was able to scrape up what I came over with, but think new players are screwed because of it. C10's dont drop, and theres really no efficient way of gaining cash for younger players. But then my clan has a stockpile of TL 150 construction tools...

If there were the ideal number of players in the game I'm sure this would all work better. But there are not. Personally I think KK needs to make adjustments to compensate for crappy populations that will get worse since NC2 is NOT new user-friendly. Especially I think epic kills should be removed since a small population means it may take you weeks to find someone to kill, properly or otherwise, and at the same time will make NC2 more new-user/LE friendly. Yeah why not make epics viable for the LE's?

Take epic kills out!

Unless Holger thinks much differently than MJS it will never happen because it make too much sense.

Sorin
30-10-04, 12:10
/hot sex ron solo!!

Agree 1000000000000000%. Seems like a lot of NCs features are dependent on high populations, which NC is notoriously devoid of. NExT and FA are two factions (one on each side) that don't require a kill to complete. But I can't get rid of that nagging feeling that KK is going to change that. They seem to hate the LE and only grudgingly leave it in. At least that's the feeling we always get. Either the no PK part of those two epics is an oversight, or an intentional feature so that tradeskillers can do epics (notice how I say tradeskiller and not LE, since I'd bet real money they're not PK free for LE people specifically).

Gah. Nerf epic kills! :mad:

Zheo
30-10-04, 12:10
I managed to get all my epic kills for one biotech and two protopharm by three of the four kills where my friends with noob characters where i just lowed my combat rank down to 3, the only real epic kill i got was when a group of people invaided pepperpark and i happened to be there with the right character and get enough damage on the right target, not easy. you very rarely see the target you need with the right combat rank, who you can just run up to and kill.

superfresh
30-10-04, 12:22
Ah hiya Sorin :)

Yelly
30-10-04, 14:25
Get your batterank down and kill with fists.
That way there is always a n00b or something that can help
you out.At least I nevr had problem to find a kill.

superfresh
30-10-04, 14:51
Yes that works sometimes, but then the mission assignment should read "we need you to find/make an opposing runner, get your rank down, and pummel them about the head with your fists for 45 minutes."

Dribble Joy
30-10-04, 15:02
Some/most epics SHOULD have a kill or two in them.
TG, CA and CM for cirtain.

superfresh
30-10-04, 15:30
Roleplaying-wise they all should. Population wise they should not. In theory the epic kill is fine. In practice it sucks.

Tidus_Origin
30-10-04, 16:14
On one hand, there is the RP/storyline side of epic kills, which describe a war between the NC factions and the DoY factons, which means at least one runner is bound to die for this cause.

On the other hand there's the splitting up of all the factions. BD/Crahn/TG/FA/TS are all KoS to the guards/copbots in NC, just like TT/BT/CA/PP are KoS to the guards in DoY (not sure about the Mercs). This new faction alliance/hostility system no longer makes epic killing viable as an epic mission.

As if a tradeskiller spy is going to walk/stealth/drive into the middle of DoY just to kill ONE runner, where he runs the risk of dying, or being rez-killed for all his weapons/armor/implants by 5 or more monks/tanks/PEs in the dome.

IMO, the epic kills should be removed and substituted for an NPC killing mission (much like the 'combat test' mission for the Mercs). Make the NPC an enemy faction and give him decent stats, so that it'd be a bit of a challenge for most people.

superfresh
30-10-04, 17:09
On one hand, there is the RP/storyline side of epic kills, which describe a war between the NC factions and the DoY factons, which means at least one runner is bound to die for this cause.

On the other hand there's the splitting up of all the factions. BD/Crahn/TG/FA/TS are all KoS to the guards/copbots in NC, just like TT/BT/CA/PP are KoS to the guards in DoY (not sure about the Mercs). This new faction alliance/hostility system no longer makes epic killing viable as an epic mission.

As if a tradeskiller spy is going to walk/stealth/drive into the middle of DoY just to kill ONE runner, where he runs the risk of dying, or being rez-killed for all his weapons/armor/implants by 5 or more monks/tanks/PEs in the dome.

IMO, the epic kills should be removed and substituted for an NPC killing mission (much like the 'combat test' mission for the Mercs). Make the NPC an enemy faction and give him decent stats, so that it'd be a bit of a challenge for most people.

This to me is a much better alternative to seeking out an enemy runner with the appropriate rank.

solling
30-10-04, 17:49
its alllllllll about the LE i say take out epic kills so that LE peops can do it and dont need to take their LEs out and be ganked by retards

|R@zor|
30-10-04, 18:23
I am having a shitty time trying to find epic kills, especially on my spy for the PP epic, i just cant seem to find an FA player of a suitable rank anywhere.

Pretty much all 4 of my characters are at the kill stage of their epics and cant get any further, have been for days.

Argent
30-10-04, 18:25
a) Epic kills discriminate LE'd people

b) Perhaps 1% of the population actually go out hunting for a real prey, ie. do it as it's supposed to. Everyone else spams trade "NEED BT TO KILL! PAY 100K!!!111" or roll a newbie on other account and kill him with fists.

Read : They have no function in the game currently.

Get rid of them, or at least give and alternative way to do that part of epic, ie let us choose between the PK kill and let's say for example, "kill 10 Grim chasers" mission.

StryfeX
30-10-04, 19:04
I would rather have a tough NPC to go against than try and find a runner. I had to spam trade for two days to find a suitable Tsunami Syndicate runner to kill.

And it would actually be kinda cool if the NPC you had to kill used different weapons/tactics depending on your class. Ah well. I can dream.

--Stryfe