PDA

View Full Version : Doors

jernau
29-10-04, 00:38
Why don't they open automatically?

I mean even the really grim supermarkets the pikeys shop in had automatic doors in the 20th century yet in the 28th century this marvelous idea has been lost to mankind. :(

Was there a huge oversight when they made the Ceres disks that doomed everyone to manually open every door?

Was the knowledge of automatic doors destroyed by the company that makes the bang-on-a-door-and-it-opens technology in order to protect their monopoly?

Did those crazy Crahn monks declare automatic doors an abomination?

NB : Yes, I was driven to this by too many visits to the ProtoPharma HQ/Lab.
NB2 : No, it's not a priority :p.

MrChumble
29-10-04, 00:49
Doors act as vis portals/partitions (or the nc engine equivalent). You get better fps when they're closed as the engine doesn't render anything behind them, the last thing we need is some muppet going afk beside an auto-door :)

Birkoff
29-10-04, 00:50
Weird... I've walked through TH and PP HQ that many times and its never crossed my mind.

Would be kinda kewl :P

jernau
29-10-04, 00:51
Doors act as vis portals/partitions (or the nc engine equivalent). You get better fps when they're closed as the engine doesn't render anything behind them, the last thing we need is some muppet going afk beside an auto-door :)
I've never seen them affect my FPS other than that the big lab doors make it chug when they open.

MrChumble
29-10-04, 00:52
I've never seen them affect my FPS other than that the big lab doors make it chug when they open.
Go get stuck in a door, you'll see what I mean right away :p

The el farid ones are especially good for that as they kindly drop on your head.

jernau
29-10-04, 00:57
Go get stuck in a door, you'll see what I mean right away :p

The el farid ones are especially good for that as they kindly drop on your head.
Swamp caves are best for that IME.

That's not really by design though, is it? I mean you are somewhere you shouldn't be.

Glok
29-10-04, 01:04
The swamp cave doors are evil.

Blacksword
29-10-04, 04:24
the door at mb center by the gr grabs me almost every time i go there :mad:

jernau
29-10-04, 04:30
the door at mb center by the gr grabs me almost every time i go there :mad:
The one I hate at MB is the one after the zone-line on the way out. There's a Guard standing right in front of it who always seems to load-up just as I click on the door and thereby detours me into an NPC chat window.

I would run along the walls so as to avoid him but they have big wire loop things on them that prevent that.

Omnituens
29-10-04, 05:12
The one I hate at MB is the one after the zone-line on the way out. There's a Guard standing right in front of it who always seems to load-up just as I click on the door and thereby detours me into an NPC chat window.

I would run along the walls so as to avoid him but they have big wire loop things on them that prevent that.
agreed, nerf that gaurd ffs.

Shadowbreed
29-10-04, 06:21
agreed, nerf that gaurd ffs.

/sign one of the most annoying things ingame

Killfly
29-10-04, 16:15
Why don't they open automatically?

You could simulate the Star Trek effect by having someone run around behind you and open every door just before you get to it... :lol: Very handy when you're 'right-click bugged'...

jernau
29-10-04, 16:29
You could simulate the Star Trek effect by having someone run around behind you and open every door just before you get to it... :lol: Very handy when you're 'right-click bugged'...
They'd need to be in front of you :p

It is nice when you time it so you follow someone through MB it would be cool if it was always like that.

evs
29-10-04, 16:43
OMG A THREAD ABOUT JIM MORRISON

oh..ah...nm

/gets coat

plague
29-10-04, 16:51
Did those crazy Crahn monks declare automatic doors an abomination?

roflmao :lol:

Killfly
29-10-04, 18:40
They'd need to be in front of you :p

Doh :rolleyes: