PDA

View Full Version : He probably deserved it...

ArgieD
28-10-04, 14:47
I just couldn't believe in my eyes yesterday when the following incident took place in Plaza 1:

Runner xx/xx: Need Repper TL 110 please

Tank x/x: I rep!

Runner xx/xx: What TL?

Tank x/x: TL 120.

Runner xx/xx: Ahh! Thanx. Open trade window please...

5 mins later

Runner xx/xx: Are you done, mate?

Tank x/x:

Runner xx/xx: Have you finished repping?

Tank x/x: ?

Runner xx/xx: I gave you my (can't remember what it was, but sounded uber)

Tank x/x: What are you on about?

Runner xx/xx: Hey, .........

What do you think happened? Did the "experienced" runner (I think a CA spy) make this up? Did the low rank Tank take advantage of the spy's stupidity? Did he accidentally give the item to a different person? Who knows..

It feels like the tank scammed the "experienced" spy because he actually said he can repair at such a high TL despite of his class. Although I felt sorry for the spy, I couldn't bring myself to feel angry because it was so bleeding obvious that something was wrong.

I could not intervene myself, purely because of my LE and the fact that my low SL would not guarantee my survival if I got into the fisticuffs.

What would you do? Have you ever experienced anything like this?

r3yka
28-10-04, 14:51
yeh i got my speed gat and my marines stolen from me like that... its was a bitch in nc1 but now no safe zones u can just kill the bastard

Ozzon
28-10-04, 14:51
Well TL120 repair means that he only has 60 points in repair and considering pretty high dex cap for tanks it's easy to achieve... but that doesn't mean he didn't scamm the other runner, you gotta find some trusted repairers before you give away your precious stuff. :)

Asul
28-10-04, 14:53
I have fear in my hard everytime when i give something to an unknown runner to rep/const/res, I write his name down everyme and make screenys, because I have not much and when i give my best spell to mod or res and he take it and run away, well, that sucks, but then I can tell the GM :p

[TgR]KILLER
28-10-04, 14:53
won't be the first scam in nc.. but thats all with the life in the years 2700..

even had a guy in the clan ages and ages back when we were TT. stupid ass dit the same saying he could rep and then logout with rares.. and he actualy was proud of it saying it on clan chat. and back then clan's were broken and you couldn't kick anybody out. lucky he left on his own after i went totaly bezerk on his ass.

i only ever give my stuff to people i trust. but i got my own researcher and repper now so i'm ok :)

well, that sucks, but then I can tell the GM :p

but the GM's will tell you as were said loads of time. it is a rpg if somebody wants to play a thief they can. so they can steal stuff. its all part of life. you just gotta find somebody who can be trusted and stick with them.

Genji
28-10-04, 14:57
Everyone always seems surprised that a tank can rep...."A tank..that reps..wow, ok"
The way I figure I can get over 100 rep and agl...and as a melee tank things break fast...I don't know why ppl are always surprised.
And when ppl ask me what I can rep, when I TL I usally mean my skill rank not my max rep...I guess thats me tho.

Jesterthegreat
28-10-04, 14:58
but then I can tell the GM :p

KK do not act on this. im sur eyou could find it written down somewhere if you looked. KK do not act against "scammers" as long as they dont exloit to do it

KRIMINAL99
28-10-04, 15:00
Unfortunately this happens all the time. In the final state, people don't really even care they just would just blame you for getting repairs from new characters or people not in your faction/clan. This kind of messes up the whole reputation or trust argument because its not even considered a bad thing to steal from your enemies. Sometimes just to screw people over players can claim to have something stolen from a resser/constructor when it didn't actually happen. When you give someone your weapon, your gambling every time.

Even if tradeskillers don't want to have their reputation messed up, there are many ways they can still screw you over once the game has progressed far enough. Researchers can keep rare parts in their inventory and swap them for any of yours they want. Constructors can do the same for rare weapons although thats a bit more difficult. There have been cases where long time active, supposedly trustworthy researchers have been caught doing this. The only way to catch them is using the fact that un ided rareparts which are going to be the same part stack with each other, so if you happen to get two stacking un ided parts and don't get two of the same part back youve just been scammed. Also if you see a trader go to the gogo while hes working you should be nervous.

It doesn't have anything to do with reputation or any naive moral ideals. The only way to fix it is to implement remote tradeskill tools for every tradeskill.

ArgieD
28-10-04, 15:00
fair enough chaps, but I actually criticised the Spy's decision to offer his beloved weapon for repair to a Tank with one-digited rank.... O_o

Asul
28-10-04, 16:19
fair enough chaps, but I actually criticised the Spy's decision to offer his beloved weapon for repair to a Tank with one-digited rank.... O_o
Agreed ;)

The best Thing u can do, when u are new, look first a litle bit around, and take a close look to the trade-channel and go only to Runner who Spam there for services or at the meetingpoints, the danger is not really big when u trust someone who have modded (what ever) for some runners before u ask him.

bad english, I know ;)

Glok
28-10-04, 16:29
Also if you see a trader go to the gogo while hes working you should be nervous.My trader keeps his lubes, gloves, tools, parts, and chems in gogo...

ArgieD
28-10-04, 16:53
My trader keeps his lubes, gloves, tools, parts, and chems in gogo...

along with the nicked techs... :lol:

JOKING! only joking mate... :p

Killfly
28-10-04, 16:58
I don't think anyone actually DESERVES this... It's a bit like saying someone deserves to get mugged IRL if they're walking in a dodgey part of town... Maybe they should know better, but maybe they didn't have much choice (especially considering how difficult it can be to find trade-skillers during low-pop periods on the server...)

plague
28-10-04, 17:07
.....Thats why I olways have alt to repair/cst/ress cuz u can't trust anyone in this game. I for one would never gave anything to low level player just cuz if item worth it they can simply roll...

Killfly
28-10-04, 17:15
.....u can't trust anyone in this game

That's not true... I've met plenty of absolutely trust-worthy people in game... And I'm one of them ^^ There are some people who get a kick from screwing over someone else, and I suppose there are people role-playing thieves, etc, but that doesn't mean that you can't trust anyone - you just have to know who you're dealing with...

plague
28-10-04, 17:19
That's not true... I've met plenty of absolutely trust-worthy people in game... And I'm one of them ^^ There are some people who get a kick from screwing over someone else, and I suppose there are people role-playing thieves, etc, but that doesn't mean that you can't trust anyone - you just have to know who you're dealing with...

yes indeed, there is ppl i trust as well, but that trust came from years of working together. What i ment was if u don't know person u can't trust them.

Weazle
28-10-04, 18:38
KILLER']even had a guy in the clan ages and ages back when we were TT. stupid ass dit the same saying he could rep and then logout with rares.. and he actualy was proud of it saying it on clan chat. and back then clan's were broken and you couldn't kick anybody out. lucky he left on his own after i went totaly bezerk on his ass.

HAHAHA I remember that .... It was my old clan that contacted you about the scammer ... then we proceded to help you "force" him out of your clan :lol: :lol: :lol:

boombang
28-10-04, 19:19
put it this way, in real life would you just give someone something in the street to repair, rather than go to someone you know is safe?

scamming is a totally legitimate role to play in the NC world - yes there is no honour, and no I wouldn't do it, but there is no reason not too.

I ensure I use reppers I know are safe.

dem0n
28-10-04, 19:47
Well you should learn from other people, they've said it well - give stuff only to trusted runners. I for one will never give any of my things into the hands of a clumbsy tank... but thats just me. You need to find someone elite [from a social point of view], like Darkana for poking :P! I only allow her to stick it into my alts which don't have IMP :P.

Mr Friendly
28-10-04, 21:44
yeh i got my speed gat and my marines stolen from me like that... its was a bitch in nc1 but now no safe zones u can just kill the bastard

ONLY happens on saturn lol

not a single time did that ever happen to me with nething & neither has it happened to ne of my friends, then i come on saturn for about a week & some /58 spy jacks a 5 slot basic heal from me i needed modded @_@
sad, really sad @_@ :lol:

bounty
28-10-04, 22:02
hey, maybe the spy ripped off his buddy or ganked his newb or something, so never know the whole story.

[TgR]KILLER
29-10-04, 00:26
lol i wish i could scam people but i'm way to nice to do that..

i would have had loads of mc5's and fuck knows what people handed to me to swap to another char lol.

G.0.D.
29-10-04, 00:53
@Genji - If you think thats bad, you should have seen how hard it was to get people to trust me making there rares (As a cster tank) :rolleyes:

Agent L
29-10-04, 11:27
haha, right G0D.

I can tell you ppl a story from another side.

Once a guy came to me to id some parts. First I didn't liked him, coz he was bit paranoid with that sucky 1-at-a-time routine which wastes more time trading than ressing actually. I'd surely send him to hell after first part, but I had absolutelly nothing else to do. So part after part, it slowly comes, I watch TRADE more than processor, don't even reading what comes in and what comes out.
Suddenly guy is like WTF "you swapped!". Complete surprise to me, I had no parts of my own in inv "no i didn't". "Yes you did, scammer, I gave u T part and u gave back tempest part". I felt cold, wtf, guy is trying to frame me, omg my precious reputation, 2 years of crystal clear history and now some prick will spread false rumours. I started wondering, will he try to blackmail me of what, but no, he just wanted the part I was working at in the moment back, said "fu, scammer", and ran away.
About a day or 2 later I realised in recent patch there was a meele TL boost and tempest indeed is a midtech pool now. Both of us forgot that.
So I mailed him and situation was clarified.

LUPUS, YOU'VE ALMOST BROKEN MY LIFE !!

: D

GIJ0e
29-10-04, 12:13
no you cant trust anyone which is why peeps usually just have trademule alts and share them between m8's / clans etc.

trademule alts usually in another faction so they can get the items they need.

ArgieD
29-10-04, 12:19
I can imagine this being very traumatic indeed. Unfortunately, there are peops who can try to get you to find things for free for them (via your clan's funds or cupboards) after accusing you publicly that you nicked theirs....

The guy will start calling you names jeopardising your tradeskilling reputation, while at the same time DMing you asking you to buy it for him from somewhere (sometimes they even recommend you where to go and purchase it, ie "I know XXX who has one; get it BPed and then CST it".

KK: Bring back in-game capital punishment :p