PDA

View Full Version : Tanks in hacknet?

trigger hurt
27-10-04, 05:54
How is this possible? I've tried with my tank at a genrep, always get message that item is in use, so can't hack in through genrep. Tank comes through terminal spawn at outpost fight, uses regen software to heal (how?) then proceeds to take down last layer of op with me pounding him with attack software. He loses 300+ hp.

Now, on my pure hacker spy, it takes about a minute to regen enough "mana" to regen/defend myself with software and this guy did it in about 30 seconds, all the while getting hit by me.

think I should report this or leave it be?

hegemonic
27-10-04, 05:56
How is this possible? I've tried with my tank at a genrep, always get message that item is in use, so can't hack in through genrep. Tank comes through terminal spawn at outpost fight, uses regen software to heal (how?) then proceeds to take down last layer of op with me pounding him with attack software. He loses 300+ hp.

Now, on my pure hacker spy, it takes about a minute to regen enough "mana" to regen/defend myself with software and this guy did it in about 30 seconds, all the while getting hit by me.

think I should report this or leave it be?

Just a thought... was the "tank" a spy wearing the disguise tank armor?

Psyborg
27-10-04, 06:12
nope we checked the class in citycom of the hacker...was definately a tank

hegemonic
27-10-04, 06:27
hmm... that don't seem right... that don't seem right at all.....

Drugged up, I could see a tank getting into hacknet, but I can't see him doing what you describe he was able to do... either someone's very sharp or very cheap...

ch0ppy
27-10-04, 06:32
i would go further than sharp or cheap..
but it would get be into trouble.

The thing is after that they were on ooc flaming about exploits but 'cough'
its all a MOCKAGE tbh.

amfest
27-10-04, 07:08
I thought tanks weren't suppose to be able to enter hacknet at all. That their class was totally restricted and if that was the case then it was an exploit.

Candaman
27-10-04, 08:57
melee tank with pure hack?

Bugs Gunny
27-10-04, 09:04
Maybe it's not a class restriction but an int restriction and he just drugged up his int?

[VP]Orion
27-10-04, 11:03
If it is an INT restriction and not class, I really hope they change it fast as hell. Tanks will be WAY overpowered as 4th layer takers in hacknet.

Nidhogg
27-10-04, 11:15
It's a class restriction. He was probably "warped" in there due to a bug. Spy zones, Tank suddenly finds himself swept up and dumped in HackNet, Spy finds himself in permasync because the server thinks it's done its job.

N

MaGn0lia
27-10-04, 11:23
Oh mighty nid, how did the tank heal himself?

giga191
27-10-04, 11:41
Because the tank was Nid

MaGn0lia
27-10-04, 11:47
Sneaky... undercover nid.

tomparadox
27-10-04, 11:50
Just a thought... was the "tank" a spy wearing the disguise tank armor?
i dont think you can wear armor in hacknet, so that wouldent work.

i think tanks should be allowed to use hacknet, just not be able to use the hacknet weapons/heals/defence stuff...

[TgR]KILLER
27-10-04, 11:59
i use killer for hacknet to now since i got 125 hack but i'm still lowtech rifle so can't use attack software no tc ^^ din't bother to buy any other stuff because i never use hacknet realy. just to get back to fa hq fast from everywere :p

Nidhogg
27-10-04, 12:13
No idea so please report it as a bug for now. If we start to see Tanks doing this more often, then we can start thinking about exploits.

N

[VP]Orion
27-10-04, 12:14
i think tanks should be allowed to use hacknet, just not be able to use the hacknet weapons/heals/defence stuff...

I bet you havnt done much in hacknet then. A tank, setup for hacknet, would be almost IMPOSSIBLE to stop on the run to the terminal for 4th layer. Specially if a spy had logged in with him too and casted defense.

My bet is that someone did that during fights and thats why KK put in the class restriction. Sure, I can feel sorry for tanks since they cant even travel through hacknet, but they would just be TOO overpowered so Im glad they put the restriction in. Another route to take would have been to just put a class restriction on the terminal inside hacknet. That would still have enabled tanks to travel around inside hacknet.

ch0ppy
27-10-04, 12:34
Why is a Lead Mod (GM?) trying to dissuade us from reporting it as an exploit ?
Thats 2 posts now trying to say it was a possible bug.
O_o
Dont get me wrong no mud slinging from me i just think is funny.
:lol: :eek: 8| :wtf:

QuickFix
27-10-04, 12:41
Why is a Lead Mod (GM?) trying to dissuade us from reporting it as an exploit ?
Thats 2 posts now trying to say it was a possible bug.
O_o
Dont get me wrong no mud slinging from me i just think is funny.
:lol: :eek: 8| :wtf:

its a conspiricy.
Nid actually has chars in the clan in question.

on a serious note, why dont you just ask one of the guys from that clan who hacked the 4th layer? surely they will have a reason/excuse or something.

not saying anything would only lead to more accusations and we've all seen what happens then.

ch0ppy
27-10-04, 13:03
Why dont we just ask them who hacked the layer you say ?
Well from the amount of accusations and mud slinging going on
after on the OOC channel, i dont think that any helpfull remarks or comments
would be forthcoming from either side.

On a half related subject, (i dont really know how to word this the right way)
how are GM's "supervised" in correlation to the use of there GM account and there NC accounts ?

On many occasions an opposing clan has said that a GM was with them
to monitor the fight so that no cheating was taking place. Quite often it is the same clans that make this claim.
I dont think that you can discard this as "BS" or "shit talking" from them.
I do know that for a fact a former GM has helped clan members with various things (not speaking about items and such).

How can someone go about getting a GM to observe an opposing clan in case of cheating (I would really like to know).

Please whatever you do please do not just dismiss this and say if you have any complaints send it in an email etc etc...
I would like to know what people think about this.

(If this doesnt get any attention i would like to make a new post about it, because this is in the 2nd page with a somewhat unrelated title.)

Idola
27-10-04, 13:10
GM actions are logged and recorded. Anyone who has shown mis-conduct has been swiftly booted from the team and giving a serious grilling.

Nidhogg
27-10-04, 13:23
Can you all please quit it with the "Nid has his chars in that clan", "Nid was that Tank" stuff? You can see how people immediately leap to conclusions that all of a sudden GMs are possibly to blame for something that is 99% likely to be just a bug. If it was an exploit you would see this happening all the time, but you don't, but if you really believe that it was an exploit I am most certainly not trying to prevent you from reporting it as such.

N

/edit - btw, for the record, I stopped playing my private account entirely the day I was appointed a GM for the express purpose of refuting baseless allegations of corruption.

MrChumble
27-10-04, 13:28
/edit - btw, for the record, I stopped playing my private account entirely the day I was appointed a GM for the express purpose of refuting baseless allegations of corruption.
You've been a GM for as long as I've been playing...no wonder yer so out of touch :p

*runs and hides*

ch0ppy
27-10-04, 13:37
This is the reason i was trying to word my post the right way.
In no way was i ever trying to accuse Nid of being
involved in anyway.
As far as if it was an exploit, it would be wide spread and everyone will
know about it (not a quote)...
I know of exploits in NC1 (that were reported by the way) that a handfull of people knew about (3 or 4 at most).
'Devils Advocate' If this tank did have some way of exploiting why would everyone know about it, he could refuse to tell his clanmates, or just tell a few.
This could be the first time it was used etc etc.

Anyway im bushed i need sleep, just ignore me now, the fire in my belly
has died down.

trigger hurt
27-10-04, 13:48
It's a class restriction. He was probably "warped" in there due to a bug. Spy zones, Tank suddenly finds himself swept up and dumped in HackNet, Spy finds himself in permasync because the server thinks it's done its job.

N
sorry nid, but I have to say no way to that one. There's no way this was a coincidental thing. He was using software. Sure, a tank could probably drug up to software, but point is, his mana in hacknet wouldn't have regenerated in the time it took him to cast it, but he did cast it.

Militaryman
27-10-04, 15:08
Even if it were possible for the tank to drug up to use the basic software, he/she would only be able to use the 0.1v software as the Int requirements are pretty high at that.

The 0.1v software really has no real difference in hacknet compared to the higher level software, not even when fully capped. However if that tank did spend every bit of their intelligence skill points into hacking, and fully drugged it up I could see it be possible to making the 0.1v software close to reasonable (but no where near cap)

Also, is it possible that a tank could hack an outpost? Do they get the same messege as when they try to hack a Genrep?

If not then I know for a fact, if you hack an OP 3 times the 3rd hack does get you into Hacknet for the 4th layer. If they knew this and completed the 3rd hack, they would have ended up in the Hacknet in that rare occurance (no restrictions). That would give them a slight advantage especially if people were there waiting for them. However I think that a capped out hacker spy with all into hacking, body health, and resists would be just as strong as a tank if not stronger. People really do under-estimate the power of capping 0.3v software. ;)

But in the rare over-site that they did make it possible for tanks to attempt to hack the Outpost, I doubt any of us would even notice because after this post I'm sure it would be fixed without notice and the rare case that a spy wouldn't be the one hacking.. well.. ;)

Edit to say though.. : If the tank WAS using software and they obviously did drug up and get buffed for it... then that can basically tell you that it WAS intended and if tanks are forbidden from the Hacknet then was an exploit. So do with it what you will. (I mean, if it happened by accident.. it's really a coincidence that they happened to have Int buffing drugs on them and actually carried software with them..) *cough* yea.. they were buffed up to help their clan hack the OP, which right after they were going to transfer some software they purchased for their spy alt... so it was all a coincidence right? :o

solling
27-10-04, 18:43

i got an idea erm maybee he dident

Jesterthegreat
27-10-04, 18:59
You've been a GM for as long as I've been playing...no wonder yer so out of touch :p

*runs and hides*

afaik nid was a mod before he was a GM.

and nid im sure no one was seriously accusing you :p

more on topic maybe the tank had an inv / class / QB / stats bug and was able to use the software, or maybe he exploited. i dont think it should not be reported cos it only happened once, however accusations have to be kept at a minimum :p