PDA

View Full Version : KK - Can i change something in my NC folder?

DigestiveBiscui
25-10-04, 19:35
It's not anything to do with the client (or dont think so) but basically all i want to do is change the sound effect of the bloody doorbell to something nice :)

anyone care to tell me if its allowed?

Underground
25-10-04, 19:44
It's not anything to do with the client (or dont think so) but basically all i want to do is change the sound effect of the bloody doorbell to something nice :)

anyone care to tell me if its allowed?

You have to Email Iorghe or Carnage direct with the sound file that you wish to replace it with, good luck tho...

MaGn0lia
25-10-04, 19:57
Well basically modifying ANYTHING that isn't an .ini file isn't allowed, if not part of a approved program like NNL2 (neocronNetwork Launcher 2).

Underground
25-10-04, 20:04
Well basically modifying ANYTHING that isn't an .ini file isn't allowed, if not part of a approved program like NNL2 (neocronNetwork Launcher 2).

Not entirely true, you can edit files but must have permission first from KK to do so.

|R@zor|
25-10-04, 20:19
Theres already a mod on Neocron.org that changes the doorbell sound, but i dont know what to, or if its allowed by KK.

Nidhogg
25-10-04, 20:39
Currently only the NeocronNetwork-Launcher 2 has been approved for use by KK. Anything else needs to be run past KK.

N

MaGn0lia
25-10-04, 21:03
Not entirely true, you can edit files but must have permission first from KK to do so.

I think that was implied on my post, look closely and read them in your mind several times, translate to common language if needed to do so... "modifying ANYTHING that isn't an .ini file isn't allowed, if not part of a approved program"

e.g. you can modify neocron.ini file but can't modify soundfiles EVEN if they are approved to be used on a part of a whole like in NNL2, hence you can not edit any sound files and run them even tho NNL2 is approved by KK

To further my point, I will state, editing files IS legal but using them needs the permission of KK

Ascension
26-10-04, 01:00
how can you exploit a doorbell sound? :lol: o_O

joran420
26-10-04, 01:09
doorbell hax

DigestiveBiscui
26-10-04, 01:15

u click it and it pk's you :D

Underground
26-10-04, 01:35
I think that was implied on my post, look closely and read them in your mind several times, translate to common language if needed to do so... "modifying ANYTHING that isn't an .ini file isn't allowed, if not part of a approved program"

e.g. you can modify neocron.ini file but can't modify soundfiles EVEN if they are approved to be used on a part of a whole like in NNL2, hence you can not edit any sound files and run them even tho NNL2 is approved by KK

To further my point, I will state, editing files IS legal but using them needs the permission of KK

ok, lets go...

Well basically modifying ANYTHING that isn't an .ini file isn't allowed It is allowed if you have permission for your modification from KK

if not part of a approved program like NNL2 (neocronNetwork Launcher 2). Which is a program, that includes modifications, that neofrag obtained permission to make, and release.

Now in your common language, go back to my first post aswell, which was before yours, where i stated that he would require permission to change the sound file. what you stated, was that it is illegal to change anything other then the ini files.

Now read MY post two, three, four, or even ten times, and then read yours, I stated that he needs to ask for permission permission, to the point, you said that its illegal, unless its a accepted program... in order to be able to release an accepted program, he needs fucking permission, now do you see where i was coming from ? And its not a program, its a single .wav file.

Dajuda
26-10-04, 06:12
You arent allowed to change your rpos colors either. I didn't know there was anyone still using the provided doorbell sound.

joran420
26-10-04, 06:35
lol ur allowed to change yer hudcolors

Bugs Gunny
26-10-04, 09:52
I changed the sound of my cursed soul to that of a skrieching cat whose tail is stepped on....
Makes me end the fights quickly since i can't stand the noise :-)

Btw... a silent hunter sounds so nice if you put a squeegee sound on it.

MaGn0lia
26-10-04, 13:45
You don’t have to go all berserk on me.

ok, lets go...

Well basically modifying ANYTHING that isn't an .ini file isn't allowed It is allowed if you have permission for your modification from KK

if not part of a approved program like NNL2 (neocronNetwork Launcher 2). Which is a program, that includes modifications, that neofrag obtained permission to make, and release.

Which comes to two things, you can edit the programs and files BUT you still need KKs permit to use the program/file. Thing two, in this case you would need KKs AND the developer of NNL2 to use the modified files.

I don’t think you need KKs permission to EDIT the files, only their permission to use them. As it is editing the client software that is other than an .ini-file.

Can we have official word about this?

FatDogg
26-10-04, 22:25
so why didnt the guys who made ncl pro just get their shit approved for nc 2?

Omnituens
26-10-04, 22:48
ive PMed the approprite ppl to see if i can remove the RPOS hum and the change the doorbell sound - just waiting on the reply.

damn HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM every time i need a new psi booster :rolleyes:

Singularity
27-10-04, 00:43
the humm is anoying, esp. when the volume bug occurs

Dajuda
27-10-04, 08:11
lol ur allowed to change yer hudcolors

Sorry, forgot the <sarcasm></sarcasm> tags.

amfest
27-10-04, 08:15
so why didnt the guys who made ncl pro just get their shit approved for nc 2?
The guys who did the sound mods and other stuff quit from what I recall and the main creator posted a thread saying they didn't know if they would do it for nc2. I can't even recall if they are playing or not. I suppose check for nlpro and you should find the most recent thread about it.

MaGn0lia
27-10-04, 08:28
I think the reason they didn't want to make ncl pro for NC2 because of the "attitude" against mods KK has, but I believe that is only half the story, other being the "can't be assed to play anymore" :D

And Omnituens, I believe you can send the appropriate soundfiles you want to change them in to to the modifications@neocron.com

Maybe they get approved and we can all rest our ears, tho I usually listen music while I play so it is no biggie.

And my bad undaground, it IS prohibited to edit the files that come with the client without permission, but as we are talking about completely new soundfiles not edited ones, shouldn't make any problems, only to use them requires the KKs permission.

amfest
27-10-04, 08:37
actually the other guys gave up towards t he end of neocron 1 if I recall. They typically had to update for each patch thought .. that could get a bit tiring.

Bugs Gunny
27-10-04, 09:48
Jeezes, all this concern over some stupid mp3 or wav files.
How the hell is anyone ever gonna get an advantage over anyone with modding sound?

All i want is to remove the damn hovercab sounds... it resonates in my headphones so bad my inner ear starts to itch.

Kopaka
27-10-04, 09:52
The guys who did the sound mods and other stuff quit from what I recall and the main creator posted a thread saying they didn't know if they would do it for nc2. I can't even recall if they are playing or not. I suppose check for nlpro and you should find the most recent thread about it.

yeh they quit.
dont think Maarten & Bram will be making NLPro for nc2 tho. dont bet on it.

capt-o
27-10-04, 11:13
Not to sidetrack this too far but...

What does NNL2 do? I've noticed no difference in preformance or the looks of NC2 while using it. Am I missing some settings or something, half the interface is in german so i'm admittedly a bit lost.

Crest
27-10-04, 11:27
I think the reason they didn't want to make ncl pro for NC2 because of the "attitude" against mods KK has, but I believe that is only half the story, other being the "can't be assed to play anymore" :D

And Omnituens, I believe you can send the appropriate soundfiles you want to change them in to to the modifications@neocron.com

Maybe they get approved and we can all rest our ears, tho I usually listen music while I play so it is no biggie.

And my bad undaground, it IS prohibited to edit the files that come with the client without permission, but as we are talking about completely new soundfiles not edited ones, shouldn't make any problems, only to use them requires the KKs permission.

On this subject, KK are not the monsters ....

KK were letting guys make mods and distribute them freely, then comes MR, I build a mod with spy ware in it, so i can cheat, the abuse of mods led to KK removing this and clamping down on security. lets be honest on a few things, KK's reward when things are lost / stolen and KK's mods policiesare driven by individuals exploiting.

How can changing a doorbell sound be an exploit? I don't think it can, but KK needs to control all mods, else someone may make one available that does contravine the law.

I am sure if we gave KK a gaurantee that both the above exploits would not occur, they would help and assist. We can't guarantee so they won't open their hearts and distribute smarties.

It takes a whole lot to creat a comunity, but 1 to screw

MaGn0lia
27-10-04, 11:33
I know that mods can be used to exploit, but I'd just wish we had the same support as other mmorpgs enjoy from their developers, like custom huds for example.

And the allready small modding community that neocron enjoyed is now smaller than ever. This didn't encourage anything in any direction, they should support modders by giving them something to work on, to make those modifications for KK approve and since this far only few have made official (skinning contest winners and new spell module gfx).

giga191
27-10-04, 11:38
They stop you from changing the sound of a doorbell but they still don't do anything about money duplicating (heard it's still possible in NC2) :wtf:

Crest
27-10-04, 11:57
They stop you from changing the sound of a doorbell but they still don't do anything about money duplicating (heard it's still possible in NC2) :wtf:

You can only stop what you know.... This is the first I know of any exploit, why not drop KK a mail @ exploit@neocron.com Tell them what you do know or heard and then they will look into this ....

Exploiting is wrong, and is the reason why cash is harder to come by.... once again we all will loose because of a few

DigestiveBiscui
27-10-04, 12:21

unless they fixed it right at the start of nc2 it is, because it was all over nc1

but thats where item tracking comes into play :D...or not seeing as they havent got it yet

Omnituens
27-10-04, 19:46
Nid told me who to PM, im just waiting on a reply

only me a biccy will find the new doorbell sound funny

*escapes via scuttling*

joran420
27-10-04, 20:12

rofl giga that is the stoopidest comment ive seen in a while.....yeh KK know how money is exploited and they just dun care :roll eyes:

u really think KK allow money duping? thats something that will get u banned big time first offense

ppl can change doorbell sound the same way ppl money exploit(by not telling KK what theyre doing) as long as kk dun know u cant be punished but if u get caught wether ur duping money or illegaly modifying files you will prolly be banned

Iorghe
27-10-04, 20:22
An official statement about neocron modifications will be made this week.

athon
28-10-04, 12:06
An official statement about neocron modifications will be made this week.
This thread demonstrates why we need an official allowed mods page, if mods are going to continue to be restricted.

Also, for those whining about the HUD please read the NC2 planfile 1 thread.

Athon Solo

Switch-Blade
28-10-04, 15:00
Easy change it into the sound of a cash register :D could you imagine the people you would get at your door if it really gave you cash .

Genji
28-10-04, 15:13
Is the sound going to be fixed anytime soon? Certain weapons and a few other thing make my sound go nuts....Think, the sound your TV makes when the cable goes out...really, really loud. =/

Holger Nathrath
01-11-04, 14:57
Because of several reasons we are not able to allow game modifications. There is a thin line between modifying and cheating or exploiting. Furthermore it’s difficult for our support to help you if we don’t know whether your client is modified or not and if these modifications could cause your problems.

That’s why we do several checks on changed files when you log in.

On the other hand I agree with you, that some sounds are a bit annoying ;). So feel free to suggest changes. If we agree we can change the referring things officially by patching them into the game.