PDA

View Full Version : Rifle question

superfresh
23-10-04, 10:03
A friend talked me into starting a rifle spy, so I did and am enjoying it...

I've been working my way up through the tech weapons and discovered that raygun rifles do more damage close range, and fusion rifles do more damage long range. I'm using an explosive raygun rifle that does around 2 X 51 (102) to Warbots at close range, and a cool modded fusion that does 90-97 long range. So I've toted both for a bit and have been trying to work my way up to a four slot flazer modded laser rifle (dex 67) that he built me. I finally got there and I'm rolling 3 X 23 (69) at any range off Warbots.

So I'm doing a lot more damage with the lower level weapons. Anyone know why?

StryfeX
23-10-04, 10:15
A friend talked me into starting a rifle spy, so I did and am enjoying it...

I've been working my way up through the tech weapons and discovered that raygun rifles do more damage close range, and fusion rifles do more damage long range. I'm using an explosive raygun rifle that does around 2 X 51 (102) to Warbots at close range, and a cool modded fusion that does 90-97 long range. So I've toted both for a bit and have been trying to work my way up to a four slot flazer modded laser rifle (dex 67) that he built me. I finally got there and I'm rolling 3 X 23 (69) at any range off Warbots.

So I'm doing a lot more damage with the lower level weapons. Anyone know why?Mobs have resists now. And if I remember from recent experience, fire (flazer) doesn't work too well on mechanical mobs, or at least Warbots. I forget which resist(s) they are weak against exactly, but logic tells me should be pierce and maybe energy as well.

--Stryfe

superfresh
23-10-04, 10:21
Aye, but the fusion rifle I originally made was Xray (alpha) modded, and did 20 less to WB's than the cool modded one...

Aren't WB's energy/Xray resistant? The explosive mods Ive been using on other rifles have been working well. Isn't explosive fire?

kurai
23-10-04, 10:34
The Tech Level rating is more a guide to "total damage output per minute" rather than "damage per shot/burst".

The laser rifles have a max rate of fire significantly higher than the ray guns which are in turn significantly higher than the fusion rifles.

More to the point of your question ...

Are you sure you are achieving a decent damage stat performance with the higher TL gun ?
(i.e. close to 178% in the Details section - this number being a combination of the Object Stats damage percentage and your skill levels)

Because of the higher skillpoint invesmtent needed to reach cap on higher Tech Level weapons there is a `fuzzy` crossover point when deciding to switch up to a new gun you only *just* reach minimum requirements for.

superfresh
23-10-04, 10:39
No, actually I had to yank a rifle skill imp to pop in a motoric 2 (would be so much easier if all the imps were in the game).

So I actually lost about 5 pts of rifle combat but gained 3 dex...

But that doesn't make sense to me. The second I am able, say, to use a Cursed Soul on a tank, I'm clearly going to do more damage than with a Tangent Plasma Cannon...

Right?

[edit] sec - I'll look at the percentages...

kurai
23-10-04, 10:45
The second I am able, say, on a tank to use a Cursed Soul, I'm clearly going to do more damage than with a Tangent Plasma Cannon...

Right?Nope.

Look at it this way ... (example numbers, not real ones)

TL 70 gun - nominal damage per shot is 50.
You achieve 178% overall stat ... real dmg per shot = 89

TL 110 gun - nominal damage per shot is 75
You achieve 110% overall stat ... real dmg per shot = 83

*eventually*, with more skillpoint investment you will get the TL110 gun to 178% dmg too - it just takes more skillpoints to reach the higher percentages.

StryfeX
23-10-04, 10:47
No, actually I had to yank a rifle skill imp to pop in a motoric 2 (would be so much easier if all the imps were in the game).

So I actually lost about 5 pts of rifle combat but gained 3 dex...

But that doesn't make sense to me. The second I am able, say, to use a Cursed Soul on a tank, I'm clearly going to do more damage than with a Tangent Plasma Cannon...

Right?

[edit] sec - I'll look at the percentages...Going from regular weapons to rares is a whole different ball game. Rares do more damage than a regular weapon of the same TL would.

--Stryfe

superfresh
23-10-04, 10:53
Ok-

I'm getting 152% on the laser rifle (TL 67), least dmg
150% on the raygun (TL 59), most dmg
171% on the fusion gun (TL 56), middle dmg

Very confused.

Xylaz
23-10-04, 11:03
afaik

mutant kind mobs are highly resistant to poison and xray - weak to fire

mechanical kind mobs (eg. warbots) are highly resistant to energy and x ray (not sure about the fire) - weakness should be (from the logical point of view) explosive ammo.

so keep that in mind, while hunting

basically ALL mobs are resistant to xray and poison, robotic mobs are resistant to energy as well, which leaves us fire and explosive/pierce as main pvm ammo mods.

Koshinn
23-10-04, 11:38
For mob resists.. basically use fire vs. all except fire mobs and chaos caves mobs.. use xray against those. But you mostly use fire for everything else, like robots, mutants, organic things and spies. Oh, spies aren't mobs, sorry.

superfresh
23-10-04, 11:40
So is it the damage mod? What the hell is a flazer anyway.

Sorin
23-10-04, 12:40
Beyond being a word, I dunno wtf a Flazer is, but as far as guns go, it's the mod for fire ammo.

Dirus
23-10-04, 16:45
WarBot:

Almost Immune = XRay, Poison

Strong = Pierce

Weak = Force, Fire

Neutral = Energy

As for other mobs, you guys will just have to experiment ;)

Koshinn
23-10-04, 19:24
Oh yeah, forgot. Force is MUCH better than energy against robots. Psi attack 2 is doing nearly as much damage as holy lightning to them.

ridec
23-10-04, 19:26
Well in Chaos caves the mobs are pretty high resists on fire but low on force : )

Agent L
23-10-04, 21:21
heh, no wonder, their boss is Chaos Flame Queen : D