PDA

View Full Version : Question to all you guys (that know me anyway)

Heavyporker
23-10-04, 03:53
Ok... I'm finally in... got two chars in Terra...

Question I want to ask is...

Should I up and go whole hog, and put my most cherished character, me myself, into Terra... or wait?

If wait, wait for what?

thanks for your advice, guys.

Seven
23-10-04, 04:15
Terra is borked.
Go to terra if you like eating pig crap with a pitchfork.

German server is much more stable, go figure. :rolleyes:

Underground
23-10-04, 05:53
Terra is borked.
Go to terra if you like eating pig crap with a pitchfork.

German server is much more stable, go figure. :rolleyes:

Personally im waiting for Neocron3: Beyong a Fucking Joke, for such things as player stores, WoC skills, a tidied tech pool, More NPC Missions, Generally more content then there currently is, a stable engine that runs better then Doom3 on a Pentium3 500mhz, and netcode worthy of a mmo...

Cytaur
23-10-04, 06:50
as far as i know terra = saturn (hardware-wise and perhaps players-wise) so I personally rather wait out on 1 char/server thing and only then see how's NC(2) going (population/issues etc)

Darkener
23-10-04, 08:15
Personally im waiting for Neocron3: Beyong a Fucking Joke, for such things as player stores, WoC skills, a tidied tech pool, More NPC Missions, Generally more content then there currently is, a stable engine that runs better then Doom3 on a Pentium3 500mhz, and netcode worthy of a mmo...
OMFG GG both you and seven :-P . Doesnt it piss you off that we are paying more for a down grade. I think its dearest out there now but like possibly the worst run . I can't even alt-tab because when i do it takes the game down or my computer and my computer is fairley new. You could be waiting a very long time for something else other than the german servers . Terra has the most amount of people on it at all times and has to be the one thats run the worst .

Sorin
23-10-04, 08:45
OMFG GG both you and seven :-P . Doesnt it piss you off that we are paying more for a down grade. I think its dearest out there now but like possibly the worst run . I can't even alt-tab because when i do it takes the game down or my computer and my computer is fairley new. You could be waiting a very long time for something else other than the german servers . Terra has the most amount of people on it at all times and has to be the one thats run the worst .

I don't get why the hell the 4 slot international servers are the ones that get fucked up. There were all those problems with Uranus in 2003, and then after that it was Saturn that was always pinged out, rolled back, and fucked up. Now with Terra it's the same damn thing.

Meanwhile, the German servers are all bling bling and sparkling clean. If anything has ever happened to any of the German servers, it can be counted on 1 hand.

Not sure about mentioning the French servers, I don't know how differently they're run by AD than the KK run servers. Though, I've not heard problems with those servers either.

Yay international servers. :rolleyes:

LaZyBoY
23-10-04, 09:14
Lots of the time theres more people ont he 1 slot german then there is on the 4 slot int server.

msdong
23-10-04, 09:33
...German server is much more stable, go figure. :rolleyes:

i think the german servers are far more lucky. if its not a hardware problem and if u read the announcement, its not patched atm and can happen any time again.

MrChumble
23-10-04, 09:38
Heavyporker, the best thing to do is create a char on Terra and play for a while to see if you like it. I'm finding it OK; there's less RP than Pluto had and it seems generally less mature, but it's perfectly playable.

Try it and see...there's no sign of a one slot int server coming along soon anyways.

kurai
23-10-04, 10:17
It's been painfully apparent over the years that KK can't afford or are mortally opposed to even basic consistent QA/testing procedures.

Given the excessive workload on the under resourced coders and what can only be described as deranged planning/prioritisation it's inevitable that stuff slips through the net.

Why the 4 slot International servers seem to suffer from what look like core system variances over and above the baseline errors common to all servers is more of a mystery.

If it was just localisation (language) problems then one would have expected Pluto to have been flakey too but it very rarely was, even in the days when it had player loads worth counting.

I've worked on several large multi-national projects and one interesting thing I learned along the way was about statistical analysis of errors in initial code submissions.
[Read a lot of white papers and case studies on the subject when trying to guage the level of resources and staffing needed to roll out local country versions of large system frameworks]

On stuff that had even a minor localisation component non-native language speakers were making well over 15 times the number of errors that they would normally make on their native language equivalent code.
I don't mean stuff like straight translation of display scripts and stuff, but things like names of variable strings and database fields etc.
Even the typo error rate on portions of the code, in amongst the non-native parts, that *weren't* language specific rose hugely.

The exact reasons behind it were many and often subtle, but in essence the greatest proportion of it boiled down to decreased accuracy of `personal proof reading` - even if you were rather fluent in the 2nd language mentally processing the whole distracted the mind from catching errors that would normally stick out like a sore thumb.

Without knowing exactly how much the codebase differs from server to server it's hard to guage where the localisation line is drawn ... is it simply the high level scripts, or is it down among the database accesses ....

Hrmmm - I've drifted away from the things I was initially thinking about. Time to stop waffling. :angel:

Aaaaaanyway ... given the number of physical machines the system is distributed across and the state the code must be in after all the years of piecemeal development and haphazard patching I'm frankly *amazed* the whole lot doesn't go completely tits up more often :D

[TgR]KILLER
23-10-04, 12:41
pretty much all FA put their mains on terra. i don't expect a 1 slot int server before its to late to transfer chars ( between now and end of the year ) and since the rest is all german or even worse french.. i'm enjoying my time on terra.. most of FA is from uranus and pluto maybe some from sat but i know most of them already from nc1.. and all are friendly and helpfull :D

Sorin
23-10-04, 12:42
There used to be a large FA presence on Saturn (Saiyan/Blood Saiyan, Essence of Evolution, New Age Tangerines, Fuzzy Animals to name a few big ones), but during the last year or so, they all kinda went near extinct :(

Dribble Joy
23-10-04, 14:26
The line I was given by... people... Was that the patch is delayed while they focus on finally sorting Terra.
Whether it does get sorted.. dunno.

Xian
23-10-04, 14:45
Why do people keep saying Saturn = Terra?

Saturn was still running a few days ago, and if I'm right still is.

Dribble Joy
23-10-04, 14:50
NC2 runs on different servers from NC1, but they may have simply used the same coding ported over to terra from one of the NC1 servers. Which may be an explanation.

Spermy
23-10-04, 15:31
It's characters isn't it?

Right - don't jump on me, but I learned the ALT F4 get out quick trick on Saturn - A lot of people did it. I dunno if a lot still do - But AFAIK it's akin to hard reset isn't it?

Hard reseting your computer repeatedly - well it buiggers it sideways with a pointy stick. It might be the same with People using alt F4 rather than logging off and saving thier chars properly?

I dunno - just a wee bit of an idea...

*Hides*

Glok
23-10-04, 16:07
@kurai
I never even thought about that but it makes perfect sense... too perfect. :(

@Sperminator
I alt f4 every time. I hate waiting that 10 seconds, and then more time to exit. Even if I am just switching chars I alt f4 because 90% of the time if I log out normally and go back to the logon screen, I get the 'join proxy failed' message when I try to log back in.

Spermy
23-10-04, 16:37
@Sperminator
I alt f4 every time. I hate waiting that 10 seconds, and then more time to exit. Even if I am just switching chars I alt f4 because 90% of the time if I log out normally and go back to the logon screen, I get the 'join proxy failed' message when I try to log back in.

I dunno - That ten seconds is there for a reason - I know it's only an idea - but I reckon in that shutdown period, character data and other miscellaneous stuff is saved. I think ALT F4ing out is supposed to be used sparingly - A Devs input here would be nice.

Glok
23-10-04, 16:43
CoDi did post one time that it can fuck stuff up, but I can't remember what it was he said. Not gonna stop me though, I'm an impatient bastard. :p

edit: Oh wait I think I remember, he said that it can cause the client to not release memory that should be released, something like that.

Spermy
23-10-04, 16:44
What if it was related to the fuckups though? Would you cut down a little then? :confused:

Darth Slayer
23-10-04, 17:35
KILLER']pretty much all FA put their mains on terra. i don't expect a 1 slot int server before its to late to transfer chars ( between now and end of the year ) and since the rest is all german or even worse french.. i'm enjoying my time on terra.. most of FA is from uranus and pluto maybe some from sat but i know most of them already from nc1.. and all are friendly and helpfull :D
I really really like Angela Dazers........ :D

Scorpius.

coppertop
23-10-04, 17:36
I would say wait and see. Keep your capped char available in case they bring out the one/two slot server for us. You can always transfer him to Terra or wherever if they do give us a firm date for the deletion of the backup.

Singularity
23-10-04, 19:44
there isnt gonna be a 1 slot int svr .. cos no-one would play .. end of story

new players are gonna join a 4 slot svr unless they have mates from other games .. and other games mostly have 2+ chars per svr .. go figure

whifix
23-10-04, 20:00
My theory on why Saturn and Tera are the worst servers has to do with the delay in communication betwean the average client. With the majority of Saturn/Tera residing in the US ping times are from 150-250ms. Compared to our overseas friends who average 20-50ms this is a big difference. With the problems in the netcoad this results in more client crashes based on timing issues. Since the server directly communicates with the database constantly, client crashes and the extra delay all lead to problems with writing to the database. The other theory I have is more players on Saturn/Tera are trying to exploit the server leading to crashes. But my first theory I believe is more likely.

Singularity
23-10-04, 21:03
nobody gets under 40 ms .. ass.

dem0n
23-10-04, 21:11
On stuff that had even a minor localisation component non-native language speakers were making well over 15 times the number of errors that they would normally make on their native language equivalent code.
I don't mean stuff like straight translation of display scripts and stuff, but things like names of variable strings and database fields etc.
Even the typo error rate on portions of the code, in amongst the non-native parts, that *weren't* language specific rose hugely.

I agree with you. Most because Germans are making the english version, I don't mean anything bad when I say "Germans" but I've seen GM's reply to me on english language servers [where it's stated to send the request in the native server language (where I would expect that the GMs only speak english)] with 'Fraktion' rather than 'Faction'. It's a common human mistake, but to make requests from a variable 'faction' or when you need to put an argument 'faction' and you instead put 'fraktion' leads to an error. I agree on your case study :P. Typos typos typos... and so on.

whifix
25-10-04, 09:29
nobody gets under 40 ms .. ass.

I've had friends who've had ping times in the 20ms's. Was back in NC1 and haven't checked recently though.