PDA

View Full Version : What is griefing?

MrChumble
21-10-04, 22:21
I'm a funny chap, I'll admit that. One minute I'm being called a carebear and the next a warmonger.

I don't see any contradiction there. I love PvP and am quite happy to be hostile to every other clan on the server, but I also dislike random PK and will happily let unclanned reds go about their business if they don't attack me.

I say that because I really can't understand where some people are coming from. I've tried, and failed, to see what is fun about killing someone who can't fight back, or just doesn't want to fight.

Usually when I get PKed I DM the killer. Often I find them to be quite intelligent, funny, and often we can have a laugh over it. But sometimes...I just don't get it. Like in the attached screenie. The guy killed me because he thought it was fun to ruin my day, to waste my time and generally get under my skin. Does that constitute griefplay? I honestly don't know; to me it's a mindset that's completely alien, but it's one the game allows (even encourages) and plenty random/noobie PKing goes on. Is the action that makes it griefplay (like running through sewers killing all the noobs) or the intent behind it (like in this case, to cause annoyance)?

Idola
21-10-04, 22:25
I'd say that was a fair example of griefplay.

My definition of it, personally, is when someone sets out to deliberately impede and destroy someone's gaming experience for no other reason beyond "I can".

plague
21-10-04, 22:26
hehe, looks like u got pked by bored CS kiddie...this game full of asshats, i dunno why come as such surprise to u... edit::D

RuButt
21-10-04, 22:27
That's the way i used to play.. i loved being hated. Have no idea why, but it's kinda, well, enjoyable in a way.

It's a very easy way of getting action i think, just killing random people, and if they bother to dm you - just tick 'em of a bit more.

Nidhogg
21-10-04, 22:40
Being PK'd is not grief-play. Talking to the killer and receiving shit talk for a response does not make it any more so.

N

joran420
21-10-04, 22:42
yup i agree with nid....he was just talkin smack to ya afaik

as long as he didnt use any racial slurs or anything i think hes fair game

zii
21-10-04, 23:17
I vouch for Nid.

I often roam certain areas looking for CA runners. In fact, to be honest, I do it all the time.

The only thing I don't expect to happen is get attacked by allied factions, but I accept that they're enjoying scaring the shit and confusing the hell out of me which, in my point of view represents fair game playing.

I like this game because I have to watch my back. All the time.

Shinto
21-10-04, 23:19
you got killed once get over it. it would be grief play if you only had one GR he was camping it and there was nothing you could do to go else where

getting killed once by this guy then getting that response in direct is not griefing

its simply annoying the victim, fun tactics tbh

MrChumble
21-10-04, 23:28
you got killed once get over it. it would be grief play if you only had one GR he was camping it and there was nothing you could do to go else where

getting killed once by this guy then getting that response in direct is not griefing

its simply annoying the victim, fun tactics tbh
Well I am over it. It didn't bother me all that much, I get PKed all the time. I only get pissed off when I die to bugs or bad game design. I don't think I'll ever understand how it could be regarded as 'fun tactics' though.

Omnituens
21-10-04, 23:29
its simply annoying the victim

1) You may not harass, threaten, embarrass or cause distress, unwanted attention or discomfort to another player

annoying someone can cause discomfort

Shinto
21-10-04, 23:31
annoying someone can cause discomfort
someones character looking in my direction can cause me discomfort as well :rolleyes:

chumble: well lets face it, the PKer done his job well, hes even got a thread about him

MrChumble
21-10-04, 23:35
someones character looking in my direction can cause me discomfort as well :rolleyes:

chumble: well lets face it, the PKer done his job well, hes even got a thread about him
What job? He couldn't hack, I had no items he had any need for even if he could hack and I am unclanned so was no threat to OPs. He got whatever satisfaction there is in killing a noob and blowing up a hovertec; I can't see any, hence the thread. And he didn't get a thread about him; it wasn't even a him, and I removed the name anyway.

Shinto
21-10-04, 23:37
What job? He couldn't hack, I had no items he had any need for even if he could hack and I am unclanned so was no threat to OPs. He got whatever satisfaction there is in killing a noob and blowing up a hovertec; I can't see any, hence the thread. And he didn't get a thread about him; it wasn't even a him, and I removed the name anyway.
what would it matter if he could hack, you proberbly dropped a peice of shit anyway.

blowing up vehicles gives good satisfaction when they go BOOOOOMMMMM blew shit loads of them in NC1

end of the day he pissed you off enough for you to feel the need to make a thread.

[ edited ]

MrChumble
21-10-04, 23:41
your always spouting some shite about whatever with your whine threads this is just another one
*checks the thread*

Nope no mention of PPUs or Trikes, definately not one of my whine threads.

Shinto
21-10-04, 23:45
*checks the thread*

Nope no mention of PPUs or Trikes, definately not one of my whine threads.
looks like whine *sniff sniff* smells like whine must be whine

tbh no one really cares if you got killed, if you really though that that was greifing im suprised you havnt posted 100s of these

MrChumble
21-10-04, 23:50
looks like whine *sniff sniff* smells like whine must be whine

tbh no one really cares if you got killed, if you really though that that was greifing im suprised you havnt posted 100s of these
Nidhogg won't let me call you what I want to call you, so I'll settle for saying that you don't appear to be the brightest spark in the fire.

To quote myself,

The guy killed me because he thought it was fun to ruin my day, to waste my time and generally get under my skin. Does that constitute griefplay? I honestly don't know
This is not a thread whining about the fact I got killed. It is a thread to discuss what is, and isn't, griefplay. I'll admit I probably have a broader definition than most, personally I'd define it as anything done with the main intention of annoying another player.

It's pretty clear from this thread that not everyone would agree with that attitude. If it really bothered me I wouldn't be creating discussion threads though, I'd be away doing something else.

Shinto
21-10-04, 23:52
well you can always PM what you think, its always nice to know im hitting the mark.

at least i aint making stupid threads about nothing at all i.e. is this greifing.

:rolleyes:

flawl3ss
22-10-04, 04:14
own3d. ;)

LaZyBoY
22-10-04, 09:18
So what would be a good example of griefplay?

MasterBee
22-10-04, 09:58
at least i aint making stupid threads about nothing at all i.e. is this greifing.

:rolleyes:

Naah... You just make those filled-with-wisdom leaving threads. :rolleyes:
Too bad you don't keep your word...

Bugs Gunny
22-10-04, 11:12
Hmmm a good example pf griefing....

When someone in your leveling team says he has to go to the bathroom, gang up on him when he's afk, rezkill him, hack all his belts.
Then salvage all his armors, rare weapons and chips, and put the salvaged stuff back in his belt after you rezzed him :-)

Then when he comes back tell him that a gm did it.

So, who wants to go leveling with me tonight? :-)

THE_TICK!!!!
22-10-04, 11:21
lmao good one m8...everyone go level with bugs :P well personaly i love these threads...first off because i dont beleive whining will accomplish anything. And i like to see who the sorry a** players are that want to change the whole structure of the game to suit there pathetic needs. So i get to add one more to the list :) awesome possum..good day :D

FireWarrior
22-10-04, 12:02
Why are there so many stupid fucktards on these forums?

Chumble wasn't asking for your braindead bullshit or flames, he wasking a serious question, probably trying to create a serious discussion about the topic.

PKing sucks, but if it is done with the pure intent of griefing the other player (either physically, mentally or in some othere way) then that is GRIEFplay to me.

If it's just because you are bored and want something to do, then you are a moron... But you aren't a griefer.

THE_TICK!!!!
22-10-04, 12:05

Chumble wasn't asking for you opinion on the event he described, he was asking what YOUR definition of grief play is.

And he sure as hell wasn't asking for all your braindead bullshit on wether or not he was a whiner. If you have no intention of adding anything constructive and serious to a thread then stay the fuck away from it.
and this is goin to help what exactly ??? maybe fan the flames ? dunno maybe im just a stupid fucktard :P

Riddle
22-10-04, 12:51
Back on TOPIC!

Ok i don't mind being ganked by enemy factions what ever the hell im doing its part of the game its part of the attraction - Running around always watching my back.

What i dont like is shit like this :-
(Allied Player) Hi mate you wanna join team to level
(Me) Sure cool
(Allied Player) Offers team screen
I join he DB's me and ganks my arse takes my belt! Now that sucks
then to taunt over DM really pissed me off
So net result is i no longer team with people, fuck you all you can't be trusted!

Now does this lead to a good enviroment?? no i think not :(

Nidhogg
22-10-04, 13:04
From a support point of view there is very little that we class as grief-play. A couple of examples are:

1) Camping a new player's app so that s/he may not leave (assuming s/he has no tagged GRs)
2) Disrupting a GM or player event for the express purpose of ruining the event-goers' enjoyment.

N

Darth Slayer
22-10-04, 13:14
I must be the opposite I pk'd someone the other day then apologised...... :angel:

Scorpius.

Bugs Gunny
22-10-04, 13:45
Hehehe.

Neocron is all about psychology too.
Curiousity still gets people killed, or yourself rezzed. For instance a few days ago my unarmed hacker gets ganked by two TG tanks running around in the subway. After some hunting several people were able to track em down, they escape once more.
I decide to get my belt back, gr to outzone station. they're there. So i keep gring there keep getting killed while saying stuff to them. I see them laugh etc..

Meanwhile i was in teamchat... telling everyone where they were.... and they shure weren't paying attention when three tanks came around the corner :-)
Result.... i let si wear off, then with 150 hack pull out my hacktool and voila, an inq4 pants for one of the others and a 4 slot heal for me :-)

Just to show that pking and gr camping can lead to some unwanted "side effects".

In the end i think all people involved enjoyed themselves though and that's what it's all about.

NaKoth
22-10-04, 14:30
As I see it, killing someone who gives you no fight what so ever, is just plain boring and wont accomplish anything.

RP wise, perhaps, kill all that are enemies .. its war.

but myself, I rarely attack anyone who cannot put back a decent fight. If I have to fight for my life, against a good opponent, it doesent even matter if i loose or win. The rush from the fight is good enough, if I win, its just a bonus.

Almost every time, after engaging (if i wasent ganked by 10 or GR killed ) ill Dm the guy and usually we end up having a laugh about it and swear that next time I or him will get the other :)

(and to final note: its increnible how all the twats in the community shows up on one thread sometimes. o_O )

[TgR]KILLER
22-10-04, 14:37
don't mind this comment.. but getting killed by a sleather slasher spy when i can't do shit is sucky :/

was on my /25 spy noob standing at a gogo.. as soon as i heard a slasher i looked in local and logged killer on.. ofcourse he left already.. no guts to take higher chars on cause he know he gonna lose. sigh.. always the same nutcase. can't we get some more FA turrets in our sector ? :rolleyes: :angel:

GIJ0e
22-10-04, 14:39
killing enemy faction is fine with me, i play on pandore so theres a strong RP element anyway, i think chumbles point was is it griefing when some tosspot with very few social skills but lots of teenage angst decides to ruin your day. personally i'd say yes.

myself depends what char i am on, if its the apu they get 2 blasts of whatever spell i have on me, if its hl they'll probably survive, if its the flame apoc, maybe not :)

best bet is dont even bother dm'ing them, its the attention they crave, maybe they dont get it off their parents or something, who knows. just thank them for the con xp, especially if you are on a n00b, i've kept going back for more on n00b chars before now, they think you are stupid, they dont have the insight to realise they are doing you a favour lol, especially if like me you dont bother with imps on n00b characters anyway :)

Darkener
22-10-04, 17:30
ROFL yeah i love when ya blow the hover tech after you kill them. He got the reaction out of you he wanted. He wanted you to dm so he could shit talk you and for you have this reaction he knows your annoyed . Best thing to do in a situation like that is bide your time. You will eventually get him one way or another.

___T-X____
22-10-04, 17:37
[ edited ]

SorkZmok
22-10-04, 17:38
Completely ignoring such people still works best. They want you to go mad and DM them. For their e-penis. Put em on ignore and go on about your business.

A Pker who gets no attention is an unhappy PKer.

I pk myself, but rarely. And i dont gank newbs or destroy cars and i only dm people to tell em good fight.

Anyway, this discussion wont work, theres just too many assholes around here. :mad:

Murder Elf
22-10-04, 17:40
Tbh that was an wasnt grief play. It was grief play cos he was playing to try and cause you grief and it wasnt cos he just pked you lol.

Darth Slayer
22-10-04, 22:01
People lets not lose sight of the fact that this is a PVP game and a harsh game world.

Scorpius.

GIJ0e
23-10-04, 01:11
People lets not lose sight of the fact that this is a PVP game and a harsh game world.

Scorpius.

i agree, like the real world sadly, its full of cocks

joran420
23-10-04, 01:25
i agree, like the real world sadly, its full of cocks
yep....but it also has alot of really cool ppl...

Radamez
23-10-04, 02:07
yep....but it also has alot of really cool ppl...

Ever think that when you're not stoned? :D

joran420
23-10-04, 02:24
Ever think that when you're not stoned? :D
what is this......not stoned thing?

QuakCow
23-10-04, 02:25
ive seen quite a few gr gank sessions...but ive also met quite a few more people who are very nice, that being said im a led nublet spy, and ive never been high enough lvl in any other game to pvp

LiL T
23-10-04, 02:35

Chumble wasn't asking for your braindead bullshit or flames, he wasking a serious question, probably trying to create a serious discussion about the topic.

PKing sucks, but if it is done with the pure intent of griefing the other player (either physically, mentally or in some othere way) then that is GRIEFplay to me.

If it's just because you are bored and want something to do, then you are a moron... But you aren't a griefer.

OK so I'm a moron or I'm griefing ? sure its not just playing the game the way its meant to be played?

I don't know what peoples fucking problem is in this game its got PvP writtin all over it Gun knifes and shit. DO YOU people know what the fucking LE chip is for??? What do think I or another player is going to do in the wastes when we stumble on an enemy player? Yeah we gonna blow his brains out cos hes enemy FFS nooo! its not going to be oh hi old chap how about a nice chat lol o_O

Honest I'm sick of these bullshit threads with people whining and flaming tell you what switch the fuking computer of if your that pissed

came back from 10 hour shift to read this whining shit GG

Seven
23-10-04, 02:37
[ edited - I asked you nicely ]

40$Poser
23-10-04, 03:19
[ edited ]

LOL that was good

honestly, it's a conflict of different views. That result to shit talking and even griefing. Gotta learn to deal with it or just ignore them haters sirs

SorkZmok
23-10-04, 04:35
[ edited ]

MrChumble
23-10-04, 09:23
[ edited ]

Pungent77
23-10-04, 10:27
haha, all you bastids make me laugh.....just play the game and shut up. This thread is not about griefing, it seems like it's about misinformation.

Just be aware of your surroundings and stay out of harms way

The only griefing players that I have seen are the assholes that are always calling people racial slurs etc. I kill some moron for being in the wrong place at the wrong time and he dm's me tons of racial slurs and garbage forcing me to waste a few moments of my time to mute him........that is griefing my mouse clicking finger

Darth Slayer
23-10-04, 11:38
The only griefing players that I have seen are the assholes that are always calling people racial slurs etc. I kill some moron for being in the wrong place at the wrong time and he dm's me tons of racial slurs and garbage forcing me to waste a few moments of my time to mute him........that is griefing my mouse clicking finger

:lol: Like your new sig btw........ :lol:

GIJ0e
23-10-04, 12:47
came back from 10 hour shift to read this whining shit GG

and imagine if you'd gone out on one of your chars and got repeatedly ganked, you'd be even more pissed off ;)