PDA

View Full Version : Trip wire bomb

Chess -
21-10-04, 08:57
Hi folks,

A long time ago there were some kind of trip wire bombs in NC. I remember you could place them at the wall and then some sort of laser was coming out of it. When you run trough this laser the bomb went of.
For some reason these bombs didn't stay long in the game. I asked KK about it and they told me the bombs would come back later with DoY. I didn't see any of those things yet. Maybe someone knows more about the bombs or maybe there is a KK member who can tell us more about it because I liked them pretty much.

Cheers!

amfest
21-10-04, 09:04
There are screenshots of people on the test server being able to totally block off sewer passages and such with dozens upon dozens of them. i believe it was because of placement like that they were taken out. Imagine all the newbies going to their leveling spots only to find trip wire bombs placed at every door, exit and corridor. Wouldn't be very fun now would it? Then we could say they could only be used at Ops but then people would complain that it didn't make RP sense for them only to be used at OPs. Even so I'm sure someone would find a way to exploit them and grief people. Imagine trip wire mines at every GR. You GR in and boom!! Pure lamage.

kurai
21-10-04, 09:06
Can't see them coming back, personally.

There's just too much potential for abuse.

Given the mentality of a proportion of the playerbase, one hour after the introduction of the mines into the game every NPC, shop, hunting zone, doorway, vehicle depot, gravlift, apartment elevator, generep and zoneline on the server would be bristling with them.

Next time you log into the game read chat and look at the people around you for thirty seconds.

Now try and tell me it wouldn't happen as I describe.

;)

Edit: Attached a screenshot from NC1 testserver of a limited example of what to expect.

Chess -
21-10-04, 09:10
Can't see them coming back, personally.

There's just too much potential for abuse.

Given the mentality of a proportion of the playerbase, one hour after the introduction of the mines into the game every NPC, shop, hunting zone, doorway, vehicle depot, gravlift, apartment elevator, generep and zoneline on the server would be bristling with them.

Next time you log into the game read chat and look at the people around you for thirty seconds.

Now try and tell me it wouldn't happen as I describe.

;)

You are about that. Most of the people are complete morons. Totaly agree on that Kurai.

MaGn0lia
21-10-04, 09:11
And the fact that a mine is nothing more than a spam device. How acan you use mine in a combat other than tossing them around? This is why we have grenades.

Planetside has mines and they are used just like I described, but the fact that people have to waste a weapon slot for them and you only got like 5 of them lessens the abuse.

amfest
21-10-04, 09:11
I'd only agree with them being in game if you could only setup 1-2 in a zone and you had to be in the zone in order for it to stay so you do recieve any Soulight Faction loss for allies or what not being killed with them. Next it takes a full 5 minutes to plant 1. :) Next you can't put any near a GR, Zoneline, apt lift. They for sure have an AOE effect that if place near NPCs you will recieve the SL hit :).

You can't place them on people ( :lol: )
You can't put them in water just in case there is some bug where you can't see the trip laser.
You can't get on top of a box, logout and log back inside of a box and place one inside the box.
You can't put one on a vehicle and drive bomb people .. lol.

oh wait . .I know I had more :D

shenten
21-10-04, 12:37
U could place thousands of them, but once you zoned, they disapear, this prevent spamming all other the world.

They did shit damage , because it was like the falling damage, HLT dropped down and raised a lot, so in the end you only take a few percentage of the damage.

They turned into milky ren one day without notice, tx KK, as I lomed my droner to pistol spy to use them in the first place.

They were useless tho.

___T-X____
21-10-04, 15:56
U could place thousands of them, but once you zoned, they disapear, this prevent spamming all other the world.

They did shit damage , because it was like the falling damage, HLT dropped down and raised a lot, so in the end you only take a few percentage of the damage.

They turned into milky ren one day without notice, tx KK, as I lomed my droner to pistol spy to use them in the first place.

They were useless tho.

And you'd be better of as a droner now ?!!! 11111oneone

Enemy
21-10-04, 16:08
Make them strong so you only need to place one or two. Make them expensive so you think carefully about placing them. Make it so they disappear after an hour or so.

I'd like to see cool stuff like this in-game :)

Krush
21-10-04, 16:11
I like the idea for them at ops

Jesterthegreat
21-10-04, 16:12
Make them strong so you only need to place one or two. Make them expensive so you think carefully about placing them. Make it so they disappear after an hour or so.

I'd like to see cool stuff like this in-game :)

strong means more likely to block off entire areas of the zone, expensive means nothing... KK cant fix the economy at all...

they were ingame and they did fuck all damage. they were almost pointless as they were (except killing noobs i guess)

-FN-
21-10-04, 19:38
So why make them an explosive device? Why not make them sensors that report activity in clan chat, similar to the messages the HackTerms give when hacked. If a player runs through the line, a "Movement activity detected at <OP Name>" message would go off in clan-chat with a reasonable timer delay (so ppl can't run back and forth between the line spamming clan :p ) It could be placed at bottlenecks within the OP for security reasons. Only clan members would see the red lines and anyone else would see nothing except for the placement beacon - which hopefully would go unnoticed as they enter/exit...

kurai
21-10-04, 19:40
Fantastic idea FN. Seventeen and a half thumbs up :D

Cliffraiser
22-10-04, 01:10
^^ you only got 2 ^^

good idea though

amfest
22-10-04, 01:15
^^ you only got 2 ^^

good idea though
When it comes to Kurai you just never know -_-;;

Clive tombstone
22-10-04, 04:23
PE's new Item of speciality, Explosives. Pure and simple, From remote charges, to time bombs, to trip mines to suicide packs. Make em expensive to use and purchase. hehe Forget jet packs baby

Xeno LARD
22-10-04, 16:34
You could use them to blow up Warbies if they got too close. Like makes yourself a little area to shoot from, then retreat if they got too close. Then they'd walk through them.

StryfeX
22-10-04, 16:59
And the fact that a mine is nothing more than a spam device. How acan you use mine in a combat other than tossing them around? This is why we have grenades.

Planetside has mines and they are used just like I described, but the fact that people have to waste a weapon slot for them and you only got like 5 of them lessens the abuse.Planetside mines are actually useful though. They are the only quick way of blowing up a heavily armored vehicle like an ANT and are an effective way to defend against the marauding loner.

They can be used to spam, but only in a limited fashion, as one person is limited to 20 deployed mines at once, iirc. And besides, Boomers are much more useful against infantry. (Boomers + stealth = fun for all) :D

Mines in NC would be nice, but I'd only support them in OP zones. Way to many opportunities to grief otherwise.

--Stryfe

Heavyporker
22-10-04, 17:10
Please...

While I quite like the idea of trippable sensors, let's not forsake remotely controlled or trippable mines.

As several have advocated earlier, they need to be tied to the user. Perhaps a cst requirement to lay, like turrets?

Then that'd tilt it a bit more towards real balance.

The trippable mines seriously need to do an appreciable amount of damage in of themselves. Something like 25% health to a self-buffed GenTank in armor.

Perhaps, the key to making the "noobs' safer, so to speak, would be to have any and all mines auto-detonate upon being laid, due to jamming signals emanating out from the inner sectors - the strength of this signal is just about enough to reach out past Pepper Park to the Ind-A sectors... the Outzones are too far away to be covered by this signal.

Anyways, back to the trippable sensors - they'd need no cst to lay, but the user can only lay one at a time, due to point-to-point bandwith concerns, and he has to be in the same sector with it. It will only say when someone (or something, in the case of mobs?) goes past it. It wouldn't say which direction the entity was going.

So, one can have a warning if someone's coming up a particular route, but its not so unbalancing as to tell you every damn motion someone makes in the whole sector.

nobby
22-10-04, 20:27
that pic made me chuckle

Tha BeAsT
23-10-04, 16:50
haha i still got some SS of them here
mines 1 (http://beast.jappi.com/Neocron%20Test%20Server%20screen%20shots/laser%20mines%201.jpg)
mines 2 (http://beast.jappi.com/Neocron%20Test%20Server%20screen%20shots/laser%20mines%202.jpg)
second one i was waiting for mayhem mike

Glok
23-10-04, 16:54
Does anyone remember the satchel charges in Half-life? Where you throw it down and then you have a little detonator remote thing to set it off? Something like that would be cool, as long as you couldn't do anything else until that one was detonated, i.e. you could only lay one at a time, and had to stay in the zone to set it off.

StryfeX
23-10-04, 18:05
Does anyone remember the satchel charges in Half-life? Where you throw it down and then you have a little detonator remote thing to set it off? Something like that would be cool, as long as you couldn't do anything else until that one was detonated, i.e. you could only lay one at a time, and had to stay in the zone to set it off.Yeah, those things are super-strong. One hit kill if you were standing near it. Fun to ambush people with though. ;)

I seriously think that an adaptation of mines/satchels/booby traps could work in NC, but it would have to be done carefully to avoid benefitting the "hrhr i pwnd j00!1!!one" crowd any more than necessary.

--Stryfe