PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Networking

nEo-1664
21-10-04, 02:11
Ok, Im looking into settin up a wireless network around my house. i have a single machine that has the internet running into it. with 3 other machines coming out a 10/100-BaseTX 8-port hub. now im all good and wonderful with hardwiring a network, but am not familiar with wireless.

Simple question, what do i need to purchase, and how to stuff it all together. nice n simple tbh :) Tar,

[PS] make it relevent if your going to post, cheers :)

NS_CHROME54
21-10-04, 02:30
well first of all, the honest truth is that Microsoft makes the best wireless router out there. You need a wireless base station, as well as however many wireless recievers you'll need, one for each computer, PCI versions for standard desktops, and PCMCIA receivers for laptops.

joran420
21-10-04, 02:40
ROFL I would recommend using a decent firewall my freind DL/d some program and put it on his cell fone and he can hook a GPS up to his cell and it will scan open ports of wireless networks and tell him where the network is so he goes and parks outside their house and uses their port to do all kindsa fun stuff

phunqe
21-10-04, 02:42
I can recommend Netgear's stuff.

NB: DON'T BUY D-LINK!!!

I had D-Link before and I've never seen such crap. Just check out dslreports.com and you'll see how many people have problems with for example constant reboots of the base station.
My D-Link base station was rebooting and hanging. My D-Link card in my PC lost connection all the time. I exchanged the stuff, didn't help.

So don't buy D-Link.

3Com is good as well, but they are rather pricy.

nEo-1664
21-10-04, 02:49
was considering Linksys or Netgear, they look pretty much one in the same thing. but basically all i need is a PCI wireless adapter for each machine(ye, they are all desktops, getiin a notebook soon tho lol) then just a wireless access point ?

phunqe
21-10-04, 02:59
was considering Linksys or Netgear, they look pretty much one in the same thing. but basically all i need is a PCI wireless adapter for each machine(ye, they are all desktops, getiin a notebook soon tho lol) then just a wireless access point ?

Yes, that is correct.

nEo-1664
21-10-04, 03:05
hmmmm, seems simple enough.... lol :D had i gone to somewhere like PC World(btw, im an x-employee of pc world) i would have been kept waiting for 3hours, only to be told by some young gun who knows jack-shit: I dont know...

:D hehe :angel: hehe :D

nEo-1664
21-10-04, 03:05
oh, Mods can close this now if they so wish, i have the info i have looked for :)

tar Phunge m8y

phunqe
21-10-04, 03:13
You can also get a wireless access router with built in firewall and internet sharing. They don't cost much more really and you'll save yourself the hassle of using a machine as share point.

Most wireless access points are configurable via a web interface, so it's really easy to set up.

So basically: Internet --- Wireless router/firewall --- Wireless PC's

nEo-1664
21-10-04, 03:17
using the router though, would depend on having an internet connection that would allow for a router? as in, my current 512K BT-Yahoo shit as standard is with the speedtouch 330 usb modem. Im taking a shot in the dark by saying i cant connect a router direct to the line? or does it not matter ? tar :D

phunqe
21-10-04, 03:21
If you get a wireless router like this for example: http://www.netgear.com/products/details/WGT624.php, you just jack in the tnternet (i.e your cable provider) in one end of the router, and then you can connect with your wireless PC's to that router (it also has 4 100BaseT ports for wired LAN access).

It has everything really. Connection sharing, firewall (with all you need like portforwarding, blocking etc), DHCP server etc etc.
I have it and I'm very pleased.

Check the schematic on the page above.

EDIT: Aha, I missed that with the USB modem :( Hmm that sucks... You'll need a computer for that. So no, a wireless router as I have won't do you any good. Just get a standard access point then and jack that in to the computer which is handling the internet sharing today.

phunqe
21-10-04, 03:27
Hey man, I found this http://www.netgear.com/products/details/CG814M.php :)

Maybe it's compatible with your cable service. Netgear or Yahoo should be able to answer that.

EDIT: Need to sleep now, good luck with everything.