PDA

View Full Version : It's amazing how doing something you love for a living ruins the fun...

NS_CHROME54
21-10-04, 00:56
I love designing web pages. Tis a favourite hobby of mine.

Few months ago, I got a full-time web "design" job. Haven't done any design work up until today. Up until now I've been doing grunt work, like updating photo galleries and business listings.

Today, that all changed. Now they want me to develop a PHP driven website control panel with multiple levels of administration, with a MySQL Backend. It will be used as a business and event listing generator, and will feature such things as calendar generation with event type filtering. My database experience is limited to generating product listings and making online polls.

In essence, my life has just gotten a lot more difficult. I don't have any formal training for this kind of thing. They say that necessity is the mother of invention, but I bet these things weren't invented by web designers like me.

Anyone else have experiences to share about how their love of something was ruined by doing it for a living? Share it here.

joran420
21-10-04, 01:03
i like traveling and talking about traveling

now i work at a very well known travel agency and i always run into ppl at bars and shit and theyre all like"hey yer that d00d who works at the flight place right? How much is it to go to the Yucatan peninsula durring the anuall skeeter bird migration??" or some other equally retarded question and think that ill know the answer like my brain is wired into the computer

now i just end up spilling my drink on ppl who ask retarded questions

NS_CHROME54
21-10-04, 01:21
heheh

well at least when i'm banging my head against the wall, I can do so listening to the Pantera - Greatest Hits cd i just bought :D

Cemetary Gates guitar solo = pure own

amfest
21-10-04, 03:11
Sung to cemetary gates.

Reeza, Reeza. Is this a conspiracy.
Cruicified for monk sin.
only revenge . . . for me.
Aggresive and passive
It all seems so unreal.
Hybrids are cut in half
nerfed to misery!

err sorry I was bored and it's really crappy :D

anyone want to take the next verse :P

I"d never do any sort of work like that for a living. It's fun when you can do it in your spare time but when you are given criteria and a deadline it becomes unfun. My friend is an artist and loved to draw and such so he started doing artwork for people and doing signs. After that he started to somewhat try and get away from art cause it was killing him since he was producing things he didn't really like but it was for the money. So in his spare time he didn't even want to draw or paint :(

NS_CHROME54
21-10-04, 05:18
Sung to cemetary gates.

Reeza, Reeza. Is this a conspiracy.
Cruicified for monk sin.
only revenge . . . for me.
Aggresive and passive
It all seems so unreal.
Hybrids are cut in half
nerfed to misery!

err sorry I was bored and it's really crappy :D

anyone want to take the next verse :P

I"d never do any sort of work like that for a living. It's fun when you can do it in your spare time but when you are given criteria and a deadline it becomes unfun. My friend is an artist and loved to draw and such so he started doing artwork for people and doing signs. After that he started to somewhat try and get away from art cause it was killing him since he was producing things he didn't really like but it was for the money. So in his spare time he didn't even want to draw or paint :(

HAHAHA that's an awesome thing you made there :D

yeah i knew the risks when i got hired, i knew that my skill would be wasted on drudgery, but whatever pays the bills in this modern day and age.

THE_TICK!!!!
21-10-04, 06:19
i new a gynacologist once..for some reason he hated sex :D

Xeno LARD
21-10-04, 06:27
I love designing web pages. Tis a favourite hobby of mine.

Few months ago, I got a full-time web "design" job. Haven't done any design work up until today. Up until now I've been doing grunt work, like updating photo galleries and business listings.

Today, that all changed. Now they want me to develop a PHP driven website control panel with multiple levels of administration, with a MySQL Backend. It will be used as a business and event listing generator, and will feature such things as calendar generation with event type filtering. My database experience is limited to generating product listings and making online polls.

In essence, my life has just gotten a lot more difficult. I don't have any formal training for this kind of thing. They say that necessity is the mother of invention, but I bet these things weren't invented by web designers like me.

Anyone else have experiences to share about how their love of something was ruined by doing it for a living? Share it here.

We're in the same boat :|.

Freelance web dev. I hate making accessibility sites though. Guess what I have to make :rolleyes:.

Spermy
21-10-04, 11:01
*Looks at his MM and web development degree...*

*Looks at you guys...*

*Finds a bucket and a razorblade*

See... now I'm not such a happy boi.

Bugs Gunny
21-10-04, 11:05
So true....

Back before when i started being a male prostitute things were much more fun :D

Just kidding. I'm actualy a self employed organ donor and part time plastic surgeon working out of a filthy sushi bar. Doing some night work in a sex-offender's mortuarium too. Except for sundays. Then i go attend mass all day long.

Any questions?

hinch
21-10-04, 11:34
thats web development not web design

design is something evil designers do who are capable of nothing but making pretty pictures and nasty dreamweaver/fireworks generated html

development is putting the php or asp or perl or .net or whatever into the layout.

for all intents and purposes what you wanna do is a piece of piss though should take no more than a day tbh 2 if you have to learn how todo the calendar yourself

Dribble Joy
21-10-04, 11:38
I ph34r I may get stuck into doing what I want to do for a job.
I'm (hopefully) going to be an engineer, but being an engineer is a bit shit really. It's kind of like a managerial role, not really that much engineering in it.
Unless you go into R&D, which is what I wanna do. Hopefully at somewhere like Porton Down near where I live.
Government weapon system research :D.

Spermy
21-10-04, 12:09
thats web development not web design

design is something evil designers do who are capable of nothing but making pretty pictures and nasty dreamweaver/fireworks generated html

development is putting the php or asp or perl or .net or whatever into the layout.

for all intents and purposes what you wanna do is a piece of piss though should take no more than a day tbh 2 if you have to learn how todo the calendar yourself

Arha! But y'see dude - Uni has a silly way of branding it's subjects. It's a 50/50 deal - one half is the intense softimage/photoshop/max and crap that I so love - the other side is network theory computer systems architecture - java - sql - and Php kinds of stuff, along with good old HTML and eXtensible.

They pure unbridled joy that is my degree.

Actually - it'sd not half bad - I'm getting the technical and the creative sides - and the area I get to focus on is gonna be focussed on in my placement really - then when thats done - It's back to uni again - for a 3d modelling degree.

OOOH! and BTW Mr Mura, good luck with teh web pageiness. :angel:

GIJ0e
21-10-04, 14:22
i enjoy mapping out intricate plans to kill people in amusing and inventive ways without getting caught

getting paid for it is a bonus. sorry.

hinch
21-10-04, 14:40
Arha! But y'see dude - Uni has a silly way of branding it's subjects. It's a 50/50 deal - one half is the intense softimage/photoshop/max and crap that I so love - the other side is network theory computer systems architecture - java - sql - and Php kinds of stuff, along with good old HTML and eXtensible.

They pure unbridled joy that is my degree.

and then people wonder why me and 98% of the other IT companies out here REFUSE to employ graduates

99% no clue 1% usefullness

besides the point that universities are 5 years behind the times anyway due to approval proc's.

recent study by the it undustry magazine called IT worker recently proved the conclusion we have all been using for years. Graduates make bad employee's in IT. Theyre fine for managerial roles ie: project managers but theyre shite as developers. And the ones that do get employed are considered incompetent and put on a nice shitty 20k a year sallary :)

to go with their 20k of debt LOL

Spermy
21-10-04, 15:58
*stabs hinch*

thats 26K of debt damn you!

I couldn't manage my way out of a paper bag - but when it comes to churning - I churn a like a thing... that erm, churns.

A lot.

hinch
21-10-04, 17:17
lol 26k of debt i think i'd kill myself if i had any debt (that includes mortgage)

ahh the joys of being the big fish and not the graduate :)

(although i do have 2 degree's both of which done on the job so no debt)

NS_CHROME54
21-10-04, 17:42
well hinch, considering i'm by no means an expert in MySQL, PHP, or database planning, I think it might take a bit longer. Why on earth my boss thinks I can do this stuff is beyond me...

Dribble Joy
21-10-04, 18:26
Why on earth my boss thinks I can do this stuff is beyond me...
Part of the reason I am shit scared of doing my industrial placement.
'Find out why this pump isn't getting 80+ efficiency.'

'.........*sob*'

MkVenner
22-10-04, 02:25
well up untill today my main job was Mechanical Electrical Engineering Apprentice, which i never really had any love for in the 1st place, but i also work at a garage (fixing not pumping :p), and one of my loves is cars, bikes, anyhitng fast really....and since i've worked there i've not lost any of my passion, but i have found that before I used to spend all my spare time tinkering on my cars, fitting this, tuning that, but now i just cant be bothered lol, my girlfried could ask me to say, fit an induction kit on her car, and I say i'll do it tommorrow, and tommorrow goes into the next week and so on lol, her damn motorbike's been broken for like 2 months now lol

hinch
22-10-04, 13:15
i would love to be a mechanic an old school one because i really really do love cars and engines in particular. (should see what im working on atm :) )
but theres just no money in it

amfest
22-10-04, 14:34
i would love to be a mechanic an old school one because i really really do love cars and engines in particular. (should see what im working on atm :) )
but theres just no money in it
Sure there is . .but you see you need to have your own garage so at night when shop closes you use it for your side job of either. selling drugs, selling illegal weapons or pimping your harem.

MkVenner
22-10-04, 18:09
lol, yeah i only do it part time for a little extra money