PDA

View Full Version : Bushes and Grass

flawl3ss
20-10-04, 23:40
Atm bushes and grass is not in the game the way i see it, It could be a very cool feature, that in pvp u could hide and snipe from the tall grass and also it looks alot better with the grass turned on.
The thing is if someone has grass turned on they have a major disadvantage against someone with grass turned off, So ur forcing all players to play with this nice feature OFF.
I say remove the option that makes u able to remove grass and Turn grass on :)

Terayon
20-10-04, 23:45
mmm maybe you havent tried playing neocron on a radeon 7000. there are a fair amount of people who play neocron on low end video cards. i would agree with this if it didnt lag me so bad, but it does. if i had a good card i would like this very much.

Tredia
20-10-04, 23:47
When I have vegetation turned on, my FPS goes down to 3-5. Game is unplayable in a PvP situation.

I like the idea of using grass/bushes as cover, and I think that the different vegetation enhances the look and feel of the game; however FPS is more important to me :)

-Tredia
Terra Server

BaDDaSS
20-10-04, 23:50
Atm bushes and grass is not in the game the way i see it, It could be a very cool feature, that in pvp u could hide and snipe from the tall grass and also it looks alot better with the grass turned on.
The thing is if someone has grass turned on they have a major disadvantage against someone with grass turned off, So ur forcing all players to play with this nice feature OFF.
I say remove the option that makes u able to remove grass and Turn grass on :)

Use your brain.
Common sence surely suggests that the only reason people turn off the grass is so that they can actually play without 2fps?

flawl3ss
20-10-04, 23:52
I only got a radeon 9700pro and its quite playable with grass on in nc, the problem is everyone else is having this option turned off giving me a big disadvantage..

StryfeX
20-10-04, 23:55
Use your brain.
Common sence surely suggests that the only reason people turn off the grass is so that they can actually play without 2fps?Hey man, don't be so harsh. He has a good point. People that play without grass have an advantage over those who do. He just wants ot even it out. Besides, NC2 does look a lot better when you have vegetation up to max.

That being said, veg obliterates FPS. If there was a way to have vegetation on all the time but not kill FPS, then I'd be all for it. Unfortunately, I think that would take a completely new engine.

--Stryfe

kurai
21-10-04, 00:03
I'll vote yes on the day KK re-code the graphics engine so that the grass and bushes don't kill, stone cold dead, any video card lesser than the latest generation ATI/Nvidia offerings.

There are *plenty* of games that manage much better looking attempts of the same sort of details without such a ludicrous hammering of performance.
It's just bad code.

Clive tombstone
21-10-04, 00:10
How about this, force it so vegitation is ALWAYS on, so people with shit cards HAVE to upgrade!! AQnd the community wont do shit but whine, then theyll all buy cards anyways!! Guiniues!! :lol: :D

Evvvviilll

Nidhogg
21-10-04, 00:10
Some cards can't draw grass. I myself have never seen grass in-game.

N

Idola
21-10-04, 00:12
That's a loaded topic title.

Anyway; I'd only vote when and if the code for the vegetation was perfect. Some people already seem to have enough performance issues, I seriously doubt they'd appreciate being forced to kill their frame rates with the vegetation.

Besides, when was the last time you saw a "hardcore" PvPer use any detail setting on anything higher than the lowest setting?

Ozambabbaz
21-10-04, 00:39
i'd love it, it should be on by default...

but, when farming stuff, the important stuff that PEs and Spies can't really farm like MC5 chips and the Ceres discs, try go and look at the places where ur team or the mobs get hit the most, even if the blood splatter is just on the floor, and u only look at the floor with the blood on it...it eats FPS like mad

fixit asap

greendonkeyuk
21-10-04, 00:39
i get 20 fps with more than 10 people in the zone, it drops to below 5 mostly at opfights atm, thats with veg off. doing this would kill my game. not everyone has pocketfulls of cash to spend on a new gfx card jus coz u wanna see grass on nc im afraid m8. sorry.

Ascension
21-10-04, 00:43
Some cards can't draw grass. I myself have never seen grass in-game.

N

I say we all club together and buy Nid a new Vid card imo.. :D

flawl3ss
21-10-04, 00:48
If KK paid their gm's maybe he could buy one himself, but since they dont...Nah.

Agent L
21-10-04, 00:50
its simple:
low detail = l33t
high detail = carebear
>:-]
Remember kids, the less u see the l33t3r u r.

Dan Szeen
21-10-04, 02:36
errr.. i got a Radeon 9700 pro and over 700mb+ ram.... the game runs hell slow compared to having it on.... why is this?

I mean, I get Doom 3 running at 40FPS with high detail and Neocron running at abou 10 FPS ?! :)

BlackDove
21-10-04, 02:38
Welcome to my TNT2.

No.

Enemy
21-10-04, 04:21
Vegetation is the laggiest feature in the whole game for some reason. I have everything on max except vegetation. I always leave it off because it slows the fps right down. And I have a good video card, it would be hell for those with low end cards.

MasterBee
21-10-04, 09:19
its simple:
low detail = l33t
high detail = carebear
>:-]
Remember kids, the less u see the l33t3r u r.

Now I just gotta figure out a way to play in wireframe mode :p

amfest
21-10-04, 09:25
low end card users would suffer badly

Although if they did this .. I'd like it if you can go into a prone position and crawl through the grass and MObs and NPCs didn't notice unless you were too loud or poked out of the grass or brush but then again . ..that might be a bit too much for the current engine.

evs
21-10-04, 10:19
try finding a swamp cave with the veg detail on max

Asul
21-10-04, 10:40
Maybe, in the future, 2008, KK have an engine that works better ;)

THEN thay should remove the option to turn Veg complete off, but let an min and max in, because I dont trust KK in Vidoe-engine Coding :p

Spermy
21-10-04, 10:54
Oh god...

DUDE! :lol:

Anyway - I vote for forced bushiness - It's pretty well... "interesting" to say the least. Walking along near regants fortress in the long grass - I manage to wander past a whole tribe of mutie gunmen.

Cue one crispified PE later - and I'm a lot more careful.

It's looking really good for PVP too - You can still lock on - you just have to find the buggers first.

SorkZmok
21-10-04, 11:03
You can target people through grass anyway. So as soon as you are spotted, theres no cover anymore.

Not to mention the fuck all fps with vegetation turned on. :)

MasterBee
21-10-04, 11:40
Hmm, I play the game with 6xAA and 16xAF turned on with 50 fps at all times.
When I turn on vegetation, I get 8-12 fps without AA/AF.
But I admit, it would be fun to chase your enemies in tall grass :D
Or imagine bumping into someone... That could give me a heart attack :p

tiikeri
21-10-04, 11:52
The engine just isn't hardware friendly.

I can play doom3 with all settings maxd with GF6800U, but NC2... no way sire.

Shinto
21-10-04, 17:11
if they made it so you had to play with grass i would have no choice but it leave as i can only just about deal with the game as it is nevermind with the grass on