PDA

View Full Version : Damage from falling

(eXo) Opaleye
20-10-04, 22:51
I have to ask this:

We are supposed to be in a future where bionic implanting is the norm and can take direct damage from all sorts of weapon attacks, ie. getting hit directly from huge warbot titan rocket launchers and hover bombers and such.

Why is it then that when you jump down from a height of more than approximately 15 feet (1 1/2 stories) you get broken legs and take considerable health damage. **/32 tank

This doesn't make any sence to me as with all the advancements the damage a char can take fighting does not fit in line with the damage a char takes when falling.

Any ideas on this apparent unbalanced aspect of play?

thebee
20-10-04, 23:05
amen to that

Birkoff
20-10-04, 23:29
yup...it sucks.

BaDDaSS
20-10-04, 23:48
I hear ya!

StryfeX
20-10-04, 23:50
I agree that its a little too much atm. I mean, I could see a fall from the upper TH entrance killing someone (go figure, that's a long-ass drop :p), but I can't see a 15 ft (~5m for you metric folk) causing as much damage as it does. I'd like to see runners (at least high level runners) be able to fall about 30 feet (~10m) and take no damage. Fall more than that and prepare to take some though.

Also, it would be kinda cool to have PA extend the range you can fall and not take damage, but fall too far and it will actually damage the condition of the PA as well as hurt you!

--Stryfe

kurai
21-10-04, 00:10
I'd be all for falling damage ... if there weren't so many instances of character killing bugs involved with it.

Sure - leaping or being blown off a cliff ... that's fine. It should hurt.

However ... the system is broken. Badly.

You slide. You die.
You cast a spell. You slide. You die.
Netcode/FREs syncs you out ... you end up at reset position. On a slope. You slide. You die.
Level /5 mobs with nailguns push you more than 127/127 Cyclopses. You fall or slide. You die.

etc etc.

Until those sort of things get fixed (I'm not mad enough to really expect they ever will be) remove fall damage.

greendonkeyuk
21-10-04, 00:27
yup remove fall damage please.

giga191
21-10-04, 00:29
I hear ya!
Your sig is superb

Ascension
21-10-04, 01:15
http://www.so-pro.co.uk/avatarsetc/neocron/hills.jpg!

:p ive died atleast 3 times due to zoning off a fricken cliff, reset_pos on a slop and the same with the Venture warp :rolleyes:

Krush
21-10-04, 16:26
Either way it's been hard getting used to

Spermy
21-10-04, 16:27
Opaleye's whining cos he fell!

:lol:

Just kidding matey.

At least now we know the easiest way to kill a PPU, Nialgun him off of redrock. :p

garyu69
21-10-04, 16:33
I know that since the fall damage has been added i have had to think about where i was going before i run off a cliff or a ledge.
Terrible when running away from a spiderbot and you jump off something only to be stuck to the ground with the spiderbot still chasing 8|

(eXo) Opaleye
05-11-04, 21:37
I see replys and thanks for reading my post.

I would like to see a mods reply after talking with the devs to get a feel for why the fall damage was implemented and when er or if they are going to address it.

IMO this really needs a look and not one person has a negative so far :D
exccept for "its a good way to actually kill a ppu" :p

-Demon-
06-11-04, 13:42
Yup badly implemented!

The sliding is what gets me the most...when you could easily survive(probably) by sliding down to safety!

Cliffraiser
06-11-04, 14:01
remove damage like it was in nc1

dem0n
06-11-04, 15:05
nah I disagree... finally you can die from jumping off plaza buildings :P. make a nice public event and a good screenie. unlike jumping before, loosing 300 hlt and getting it back :P.

-Demon-
06-11-04, 15:13
nah I disagree... finally you can die from jumping off plaza buildings :P. make a nice public event and a good screenie. unlike jumping before, loosing 300 hlt and getting it back :P.

So you also agree that 'tripping'(when your runner jumps slightly) up and then dying due to the game judging to have fallen all of 2 cms while running down a gentle slope is a good thing?

Nah it's too bugged and there too many cliffs in the world to make it very fun anymore to fall off.

Realistic yes...bugged yes even more. I don't think they should of changed it now after all this time.

Spermy
06-11-04, 15:19
If it's gonna stay in - and I would like it to stay in - they need to sort the reset points - and zoning areas - sometimes you can zone and you WERE standing on a cliff - and when you synch in - you're now standing halfway down it - and moving very rapidly downwards... and I don't really have to state the likeness in aeordynamics between a tank and a brick do I?

Sorry if tjis makes no sense - just woken up.

Jesterthegreat
06-11-04, 16:23
i like fall damage...

it may need tweaking, but i stil llike it

Omnituens
06-11-04, 16:25
reminds me of the ol' Escudor oasis gr

ah the thrill of falling 2000000ft

or spawning in the middle of a terrormauler orgy.

ROZZER187
06-11-04, 19:38
gotta say the fall dmg pisses me off but it kinda made me laugh when a spy jumped from the twister club in pp2 to get away from me, weeeeeeeeeeeeeee DEAD couldn't resist running down to him and sexing his dead body :lol:

Smok3d
06-11-04, 21:03
yea remove the falling damge its a fucking mock

Spermy
06-11-04, 21:06
IT'S JOKE!! JOKE MOTHERFUCKER! MOCK JUST MAKES PEOPLE SOUND LIKE ARSES! :mad:

GAWDAMMIT

Jesterthegreat
06-11-04, 22:20
IT'S JOKE!! JOKE MOTHERFUCKER! MOCK JUST MAKES PEOPLE SOUND LIKE ARSES! :mad:

GAWDAMMIT

then let the arses say it :p

we all have our own opinions on idiots... and on this case i agree with you :p

t0tt3
07-11-04, 01:32
Crp on the first hill on the other side on the road, crashed when a Chaser shot at me. Logged back and fell down dead.... Thats really fun :rolleyes:

Or when I took my PPU and slide down a hill when I ran around and tried to take some GRs...... died..

I do think its good with fall dmg still needs som tweaks.

Spermy
07-11-04, 02:08
Heh - the newbies are laughing at me tonight!

I fell off a wall in DoY centre and busted my legs - and then when I cursed on local about it they were like - "WTF?! You fucking noob - fall damage!"

I don't know what this world is coming to, when someone who doesn't even know what a poke is - acuses me of being a noob!

I'll poke him. My goddamn foot poked up his arse.

athon
07-11-04, 03:32
I wouldn't like to see fall damage taken out altogether, but after dying while falling down a cliff on my way to TH from Crest Village, I must say it does need looking at a bit.

Athon Solo

BlackDove
07-11-04, 03:56
It should go.

Falling off towers were fucking events of epic proportions.

I wanna fly damnit.

amfest
07-11-04, 09:48
I see replys and thanks for reading my post.

I would like to see a mods reply after talking with the devs to get a feel for why the fall damage was implemented and when er or if they are going to address it.

IMO this really needs a look and not one person has a negative so far :D
exccept for "its a good way to actually kill a ppu" :p
Well as far as I know it was only taken out in Neocron 1 due to a gr zoning bug that would spawn your character a few miles in the air and you'd come falling down to your death. The bug was pretty much squashed to my knowledge but the fall dmg was never put back in. Fall dmg was never perfect which is why you get what we have today since it never got around to be tweaked at all. It should stay but be worked on. I think it'd be lame to have flying vehicles flying above the OPs or areas and then characters just fall from the sky like water with no dmg effecting them. Also If I blow up a flying vehicle and you fall . .you should die.

I can't quite figure out how the sliding thing works for registering death. maybe it's by speed so if you miss the ground for a split second but are moving very fast then hit the ground again then it'll register as if you fell a long way or were like a speeding car that hits a brick wall. It has to be something like this cause In nc1 beta you could accomplish going down steep slopes by sliding and not die sometimes.

t0tt3
07-11-04, 11:30
Aaaaaah I got it!!!!!!!111

Nailgun + hill = PPU instant kill :D

FOCK YOU PPUZORZ!!!!!!1111 I GONNA KEEELLL YAAA

Jesterthegreat
07-11-04, 11:42
in the beta my PE jumpped from the top of plaza 1 to the floor with 200 health left... i have yet to die from fall damage in the closed beta, open beta and retail...

has no one here played any FPS's? this is an MMORPG/FPS... it plays alot like an FPS (its a hybrid, im not saying it is an FPS) and in FPS's you dont jump off towers O_o

BlackDove
07-11-04, 11:56
Create a n00b then fatal at a steep part and slide him off a small cliff.

Fun for the whole family.

Jesterthegreat
07-11-04, 12:01
Create a n00b then fatal at a steep part and slide him off a small cliff.

Fun for the whole family.

i fatal once a day on average now...

but i agree the zone reset points need to be adjusted.

amfest
08-11-04, 04:20
They should of been adjusted long ago. Maybe someone should help them out and go to each zone and reset position and mark it on the map and take a screenshot then suggest a better area to put the reset position at.

Ascension
08-11-04, 12:33

but i agree the zone reset points need to be adjusted.

Lol, anyone tried venture death recently? If you dont spawn in a bunch of Doy's then ya spawn on a steep cliff, slide and die :rolleyes:

jnky
08-11-04, 13:02
slide death sux... fully break a leg bone and take health damage by all means but dieing because of it is the pits.
Sure die when you jump off a skywalk, eject from glider ect this is a good idea; stops shortcutting.
Getting from TH to hunt can be a pain in the arse due to the walk through the mountains.
Theres a few of my belts out there because i cant find em due to this...happy hacking. (checks position on map every 2 mins when in the mountains)

Oh yeh then theres this ladder in Doy which sticks me on a high ledge every time i get to the top of it o_O with no way down.

MasterBee
08-11-04, 13:32
Gee, obviously you FALL and DIE...
If it happens in mountains then, well, YOU SHOULD KNOW BETTER :p They're mountains after all!! I know, midget ones, but still...
Same applies to jumping off high buildings.
I don't know if you remember, but there was fall damage in NC1 from the beginning, until they removed it due to lag between client and server causing people to lose more health than they should... (correct me if im wrong).
Anyhoo, seems they fixed the bug, so fall damage is back in game!

TBH :o

BlackDove
08-11-04, 13:34

Lucky you.

Put 256mb 2100 266mhz cl 2.5 RAM - 1600+ on 1.4gig and a TNT2 in your computer.

Should bring you up to speed with fatals real fast :D

Ascension
08-11-04, 15:30
Gee, obviously you FALL and DIE...
If it happens in mountains then, well, YOU SHOULD KNOW BETTER :p They're mountains after all!! I know, midget ones, but still...
Same applies to jumping off high buildings.
I don't know if you remember, but there was fall damage in NC1 from the beginning, until they removed it due to lag between client and server causing people to lose more health than they should... (correct me if im wrong).
Anyhoo, seems they fixed the bug, so fall damage is back in game!

Now read what we said O_o

Fataling puts you at the reset on the side of hills, venturewarping puts you at the reset point on the side of hills. The damage is good but sliding down a hill wont kill you in real life.. so if your on about hight buildings you should die.. but not from sliding down a friken HILL!

BlackDove
08-11-04, 17:24
By the way:

No need for a fatal

Zone out of TH SEC3 exit a few times - the bug warps you to a steep hill.

Do it with a n00b.

amfest
08-11-04, 17:38
The damage is good but sliding down a hill wont kill you in real life.. so if your on about hight buildings you should die.. but not from sliding down a friken HILL!

Dependds on what you call a hill. Like in Montana US they call them hills but here in Texas we call them mountains >_>. I'd die if I slid down one cause it would cause me to roll and most likely break my neck :p . I still think it might have to do with the speed at which you hit something rather than how high it is. It's the only way I can think of explaining dying by just a small slide and maybe not touching the hill for 1-2meters and dying.

-Demon-
08-11-04, 19:14
Dependds on what you call a hill. Like in Montana US they call them hills but here in Texas we call them mountains >_>. I'd die if I slid down one cause it would cause me to roll and most likely break my neck :p . I still think it might have to do with the speed at which you hit something rather than how high it is. It's the only way I can think of explaining dying by just a small slide and maybe not touching the hill for 1-2meters and dying.

I don't think KK intended that with the bug that currently stands...the above is just wishful thinking.

Kiel
08-11-04, 20:38
i think the idea in general of damage from falling is a good one, but i think there should be alot more work done on it.

Tanks i think should be less prone to damage from falling imo. Power armour too should be a factor, i mean theres bound to be the technology to stop you being hurt if falling, the sliding damage is a joke.