PDA

View Full Version : new people are happy

bounty
18-10-04, 13:53
I was reading the new player forum, and it is interesting to see how different their comments are regarding this game compared to those of us that have been around a while. They sound a lot like this forum when it was in beta and this game was new to all of us. There are some posts over there that really make me excited about the new blood this game could get.

With the exception of a few guys that clearly didn't give it more than a couple hours of trial, people are loving this game and getting their first dose of neocrack. They love it, it is refreshing, and neocron 2 is at a very opportunistic time where they could potentially recruit a lot of new players "between games."

I couldn't help but make a few comments that i feel KK should consider, these will improve KK's product. Some of these have been suggested and some have been stated in the newbie forum, but i am just reitterating.

1) KK must make a strong effort to continue in their efforts to make the learning curve a little easier or to give them in depth information in parts so that the higher level players don't have to sit in mc5 and explain every little bit. Sure, people will have questions, but it seems like vets are explaining every last detail to people and I don't think this should be necissary. Explain the ppu, explain the rifle spy, explain the tank in more depth. Explain which stat is that classes main stat and what it does. It should be clear to a new player that a monk is not a good class for drones, spies shouldn't have grenade launchers, or that a tank will not be able to use a holy lightning no matter how hard he tries. These are the basics that really need cleared up. This is a confusing part of the game that is only made more confusing with poor teaching aids.

2) The new player needs more money. WIth one GR, you are down to under 1000nc. This is just unacceptable. I know that you want the beginning to maybe feel like a "struggle" but it is hard enough as it is. What would be wrong with giving the player 30-50k? This would give him the choice of buying some armor, maybe a weapon, play around with stockx a bit, and what not. Half the newb armor I dont' even think gets worn because new players can't afford it or are better off buying a better gun. Let the new player use the Low level armor and weapons.

3) You gotta do something about the current setup situation. If I wasn't a vet I would have not played this game simply because i would have given up on the setup experience long before i got in game. It is a CHORE to give KK your money. It should be easy, with a few clicks of a mouse button i should be in neocron2 and KK can have my benjamins. Both parties happy! It is also too difficult to download right now. With the exception of fileplanet, It was difficult to get a decent mirror. Also, my zip file locked up a few times and there were corrupt files as well which further hindered my efforts to start playing.

4) Advertising. Plain and simple, we still need players. The servers are getting new players, but not a steady flow like we and you would desire. I understand there still isn't an official launch that has taken place with the exception of Germany, but one pointed out that there could be more extensive internet advertising because right now people are actively looking for that new mmo, and lots are sick of the fantasy and want something different. This is KK's chance to secure a niche and go after large groups of wanderers looking for a new home.

5)I won't be redundant and mention things like bugs, memory leaks, and crashes, but i will say few do not desire a product that is more stable.

6)I think an overall emphasis to "explore" should be set in place for new runners. They should explore the city, and see the wastelands within a relatively short time that they start playing. Getting rid of dragonflies and spiderbot sentires with their insanely far and unfair aggro range would be a nice start. Let players know there are beaches, deserts, mountains, and swamps. There should be rewards for exploring a bit. Maybe give them a player made new weapon of their choice just simply for going to the racetrack, or a cool newb piece of armor just simply for making the trip to tech haven.

Just a few ideas and thoughts regarding this issue.

[TgR]KILLER
18-10-04, 14:00
yea c2p is a bitch there needs to be more payment options as i still can't pay myself lol..

but giving new players 30/50k is alot and to much imho.. around 10k is all a noob needs in the early days. i remember when i was a noob and i got 10k and i survived ages on that.. look from the noob side.. from our view we rush into the city buy spells buy this buy that.. but a noob don't know all that stuff he tags a gr here or there picks his knive and hunts a few rats or something. they just need a little more then they have no so they can retrive their backpack when they died after tagging a gr or gring a time..

btw.. i never buy armor as a noob. only use it when hunting /70 or more stuff or able to pvp and that is a long way from noob.. always level noobs just with their base boots or so so they can level str and con alot faster.

Bugs Gunny
18-10-04, 14:10
If you give noobs 40-50k i'd be setting up a third account to harvest new players every 30 mins :-)

bounty
18-10-04, 14:20
Ok, i see your reasons for not wanting more money for a newb,and I agree my original amont was a bit over the top, sad that its over the top cause of your exploiting mind :) but it is nonetheless and a new should have to have some sort of a reward system for killing things. But i think you are overlooking the point i was making. THe amount of money was insiginificant in the face of the overwhelming problem which is the newb isn't given quite enough.

And yes, killer, you don't wear armor till 70+, but that is because you want to "powerlevel." The average new player I think would rather stay alive and not have to go through the hassles of getting back his backpack and pokes so often. Also, it takes a long while in neocron before you start to learn the mob aggro system, there is a learning curve there as well.

Bugs Gunny
18-10-04, 14:23
The learning cirve in neocron is pretty steep, especialy now that you have to learn where to get all the items, before you could just go to a shop or hunt mobs for them.

Riddle
18-10-04, 14:24
2) The new player needs more money. WIth one GR, you are down to under 1000nc. This is just unacceptable. I know that you want the beginning to maybe feel like a "struggle" but it is hard enough as it is. What would be wrong with giving the player 30-50k? This would give him the choice of buying some armor, maybe a weapon, play around with stockx a bit, and what not. Half the newb armor I dont' even think gets worn because new players can't afford it or are better off buying a better gun. Let the new player use the Low level armor and weapons.

I think this was dropped so low due to :-

If you give noobs 40-50k i'd be setting up a third account to harvest new players every 30 mins :-)

msdong
18-10-04, 14:24
...What would be wrong with giving the player 30-50k? This would give him the choice of buying some armor, maybe a weapon, play around with stockx a bit, and what not. Half the newb armor I dont' even think gets worn because new players can't afford it or are better off buying a better gun. Let the new player use the Low level armor and weapons.

total disagree.
i would be in if tere would be the "freelancer" option again with no equipment and more money. as u talkin of stockx it would be a good idea to have a noob own one share of his faction(and a note about that).
armour is not worn because most is useless. if u are honest to a noob tell him to recycle a body armour and get some boots. that would save u 5-10k. then save for a battle vest or so.
dont forget to tell him to sell stuff at yos and he get rich soon.

spanz
18-10-04, 15:11
money makin in this game is so easy , so you dont really need more cash at startup. I play since beta , made 4 chars around xx/50 and i didnt have cash/eq problems ever. so whats the problem?

Spermy
18-10-04, 15:15
It's a lot freindlier than NC1 was - if it continues to progress then...

...|_ 0_0 _|...
Proppa BO!

J. Folsom
18-10-04, 15:20
I think it helps a lot that the start up mails, instead of being the basic "Why bother reading it, it was accurate two years ago" they used to be, have been updated with relevant information for new players now.

They explain stuff like using your navray, genreps, and I think activating custom channels was in one too. And if you know to do that last one, you can always just ask questions on the help channel, there's usually enough people there to help with their questions. ;)

Asul
18-10-04, 16:06
I think its a good Idea to give noobs more Money.

I mean, when u new in the game (like I was ca. 1 month ago), its so anoying, u get to your ap with just 1-2K (when u hunt a litle bit in noobArea), u go to a shop and all u see is RED 0.o
5K, 10K are the prices, its good to start and have a little bit money that u can spend, because u dont know how "hard" the lvl 1 mobs are, u feel simpy better with some boots or vest, or maybee a little better melee weapon, just a smarter start to know: The first I have to do is NOT go hunting.
All is so new and cool, at first u wanna go out and see the world, spend some money and then go and kill some Roaches ;)

A good Idea is to Activate the Navray at the begining in NC: Plaza 1/2 and Doy City Center.
U can meet there some people and feel NC a little bit, normaly all the players run around like Crazy on the "normal" (non-meeting) places. I looked like hell at my beginning for that place, the ppl say in TradeChannel "poker ... @ plaza 1 ..." (...and so on) and it's so crazy to find that meetingspots in the first hours in the game, would just make a better start (for me ;) )

Sorry 4 the bad english, hope u understand what I try to say ;) :D ;)

Cubico
18-10-04, 17:13
Selecting a Player profession and home faction is the one of the first things to do, and it doesnt work as expected as the user interface is bugged.

[TgR]KILLER
18-10-04, 17:15
And yes, killer, you don't wear armor till 70+, but that is because you want to "powerlevel." The average new player I think would rather stay alive and not have to go through the hassles of getting back his backpack and pokes so often. Also, it takes a long while in neocron before you start to learn the mob aggro system, there is a learning curve there as well.

not even power level as i said you don't realy need armor till you gonna fight things like fire mobs and stuff were you realy need armor.. my poker is just /39 atm and been fighting launchers since /30 on my own and i never died to a mob yet on the char never had a ppu up my ass.. and only wearing my noob boots i got.

Glok
18-10-04, 17:16
Selecting a Player profession and home faction is the one of the first things to do, and it doesnt work as expected as the user interface is bugged.What do you mean? I had no problems with it except for the ridiculously fast scrolling speed. :confused:

Cubico
18-10-04, 17:23
What do you mean? I had no problems with it except for the ridiculously fast scrolling speed. :confused:

Thats what I meant.

Glok
18-10-04, 17:25
Thats what I meant.Oh ok then. :p

ladyattis
18-10-04, 17:39
1) KK must make a strong effort to continue in their efforts to make the learning curve a little easier or to give them in depth information in parts so that the higher level players don't have to sit in mc5 and explain every little bit. Sure, people will have questions, but it seems like vets are explaining every last detail to people and I don't think this should be necissary. Explain the ppu, explain the rifle spy, explain the tank in more depth. Explain which stat is that classes main stat and what it does. It should be clear to a new player that a monk is not a good class for drones, spies shouldn't have grenade launchers, or that a tank will not be able to use a holy lightning no matter how hard he tries. These are the basics that really need cleared up. This is a confusing part of the game that is only made more confusing with poor teaching aids.

I'm partial to this but all in all the forums are best for asking for help rather than an in-game help system.

Nah, low level weapons as we have them at start are fine. What we need is more players. We even have a starter mish in MC5 where you start out at if you're a pro-city faction.

3) You gotta do something about the current setup situation. If I wasn't a vet I would have not played this game simply because i would have given up on the setup experience long before i got in game. It is a CHORE to give KK your money. It should be easy, with a few clicks of a mouse button i should be in neocron2 and KK can hve my benjamins. Both parties happy! It is also too difficult to download right now. With the exception of fileplanet, It was difficult to get a decent mirror. Also, my zip file locked up a few times and there were corrupt files as well which further hindered my efforts to start playing.

Yes I agree, C2P is dealing with many issues. Atleast they answer your questions. When I tried to setup an account for the game Horizons: Empire of Istaria, it was extremely difficult and the I-Bill company was very UNHELPFUL in comparison to C2P.

4) Advertising. Plain and simple, we still need players. The servers are getting new players, but not a steady flow like we and you would desire. I understand there still isn't an official launch that has taken place with the exception of Germany, but one pointed out that there could be more extensive internet advertising because right now people are actively looking for that new mmo, and lots are sick of the fantasy and want something different. This is KK's chance to secure a niche and go after large groups of wanderers looking for a new home.

Yep yep we need more folks no doubt about it.

5)I won't be redundant and mention things like bugs, memory leaks, and crashes, but i will say few do not desire a product that is more stable.

I haven't had problems with memory leaks yet. But I notice it whines about my system memory being low, when I only have 392 MB to spare. LOL.

6)I think an overall emphasis to "explore" should be set in place for new runners. They should explore the city, and see the wastelands within a relatively short time that they start playing. Getting rid of dragonflies and spiderbot sentires with their insanely far and unfair aggro range would be a nice start. Let players know there are beaches, deserts, mountains, and swamps. There should be rewards for exploring a bit. Maybe give them a player made new weapon of their choice just simply for going to the racetrack, or a cool newb piece of armor just simply for making the trip to tech haven.

Yea I agree here but then again I'm new. And I sorta prefer camping out in the sewers near the plaza. :)

It's a great rundown of issues but most of them seem to be getting resolved as we speak. :)

-- Bridget

notneo
18-10-04, 20:12
i think one of the other reasons nibs dont get more money is that it stops people just creating an account,give cash to mate,delete,repeat.

for low level /new players they could rack up cash quickly this way,especially if there getting around the 30k figure quoted earlier.

a better solution would be to have faction hq supply equipment at certain ranks for a certain number of levels,but the old one would be swapped for a new one till say rank 20?

Blacksword
18-10-04, 20:34
ya the starter mission in mc5 gives something like 5k if i remember right when i tried it in beta.

QuakCow
18-10-04, 20:47
the security bot mission thingy?

Dromidas
18-10-04, 21:03
The worst aspect about this game (other than the extreme lack of funding, and the high needs of it for some classes) is that you can't pvp AT ALL if you're new to the game until you're capped or close to it.
It'd be fun to pvp with other people my level in hunting places I go to.. but there's always capped people running missions and blasting every mob with like 152352346 dmg when my hits do 20 or whatever. Makes it very tough to exp and on top of that if i take LE out (which I did long ago) they decide to kill me in about 3 seconds with their 18 slotted Ultimated eXtreme DeathLasered Paw of the Apocalypse and then hack my belt of the 30k item that took me 4 days to save up and buy.

I'd be way happier with this game, as a new player to neocron, if they gave us a couple no-transfer servers.

bounty
18-10-04, 21:26
a better solution would be to have faction hq supply equipment at certain ranks for a certain number of levels,but the old one would be swapped for a new one till say rank 20?

Now we are talking. I really like this idea a lot.

Killer: I'm pretty sure you've leveled an apu, but i'd personally prefer to wear armor when hunting aggies. APU with no armor + aggies = numerous trips to the GR.

Blacksword
18-10-04, 23:03
The worst aspect about this game (other than the extreme lack of funding, and the high needs of it for some classes) is that you can't pvp AT ALL if you're new to the game until you're capped or close to it.
It'd be fun to pvp with other people my level in hunting places I go to.. but there's always capped people running missions and blasting every mob with like 152352346 dmg when my hits do 20 or whatever. Makes it very tough to exp and on top of that if i take LE out (which I did long ago) they decide to kill me in about 3 seconds with their 18 slotted Ultimated eXtreme DeathLasered Paw of the Apocalypse and then hack my belt of the 30k item that took me 4 days to save up and buy.

I'd be way happier with this game, as a new player to neocron, if they gave us a couple no-transfer servers.

ya i think the faction jumping causes this for the most part, people trying to raise sympathy to change. maybe there will be less of this in a month

Xeno LARD
18-10-04, 23:04
New people are probably happy because they're not droners.

amfest
19-10-04, 03:25

You can pvp with people of your own level just get a few of them to go to neofrag. As for the no-transfer servers. It wouldn't matter to much as there are some hardcore power levels that will be capped in no time and running around grinning from ear to ear just because they have a *** rank before anyone else.

§FS§Red Wing
19-10-04, 04:21
They might have capped chars but not the equipment and that is what matters. A **/60 char will be everything but uber without all the rare stuff.
Plus these chars would have to go hunting for this stuff where they can't interfere with newer people.

KRIMINAL99
19-10-04, 04:22
Ive seen lots of obviously new players filling up the newbie dungeons, even the ones that typically are never used. Thats pretty cool.

Bugs Gunny
19-10-04, 09:08

When i joined neocron i started out as a noob and there were lots of capped players around, don't see much difference. You'll be capped soon enough.
Just try to get in a clan (wait a bit, most can't afford equiping noobs yet).

Mr Kot
19-10-04, 13:40
ya the starter mission in mc5 gives something like 5k if i remember right when i tried it in beta.
Yeah, it's still there and it gives 3k. It's a little easier for the 0/2 noob too since KK nerfed the bots from 15/15 down to 9/9. I think that's the best compromise you're going to get with regard to newbie cashflow.

Also, the new Strange Cave in MC5 has good spawns for fast cash.

Whenever i make a new character now, i tend to stay in MC5 for a bit. I enter the city for the first time with about 20k on me.

Carinth
19-10-04, 18:46
The problem with cash in NC is that its super hard to get it when you really need it, and then pretty easy to get later on when you don't need it as much. Unless you live on charity and handouts, its really hard to make cash until high/capped levels. Only then do you not spend everything on new equipment. For me the worst requirement for spells was not the stats at all, it was the cash to buy/bp/build. I would be far past the point that I could use a spell when I finnaly earned enough cash to get it. When you finnaly reach the point were you're not buying new equipment regularly, you can actualy save money. Pretty quickly you build up huge piles of cash. This is what needs to be modified, it needs to be easier to make money at low levels and harder at higher levels. Wether this is done by actualy changing how much cash you earn, or by changing how much stuff costs.

The problem of pvp for noobs is tough. It really should be possible to structure the game so that for a capped to kill a low/mid level player is totaly pointless. Much the same as you have no reason to ever kill spiders or snakes out in the waste. They can't harm you, they give no reward at all, just a waste of ammo. That would be ideal, sure you can kill the new guy but why waste the bullets? Unfortuanetly human psychology doesn't fit so nicely with game design. Some have the bully syndrome and would kill that snake or roach just for spite. With players they're reinforced by the victim's reaction. The more he whines/cries/complains/bitches the higher the reward for this type of person. NC is full of people like this and their numbers only grow because those that survive often become bullies too. If you try to put in ways to impair people like this, you end up runing pvp for everyone else too. Hunting Zones and the horrid SL system are an example of this.