PDA

View Full Version : [OT] Internet Connection Sharing....HELP!

Azrael104
17-10-04, 21:00
..or something to that effect.

Basically, i have more than one account, so i would like to use my old PC (which can run the game no probs) on the same connection for a different account, or irc or internet...you get the picture. To give you a idea of what my network currently looks like:

(Edit: Ok my ickle diagram doesnt work as planned.. simple version follows)

Main PC 2nd PC-----------> Both connect to the Hub---->Cable from DSL modem in uplink port.

Basically, the cable from the modem plugs into the uplink port on the hub, while the the PCs are plugged into port 1 & 2 respectively. Ive tried everything i can think of, plus a few guides to ICS. Funnily enough, the guides mostly have a lot of differences.... :wtf:
The other thing is, the homenetwork thingy doesnt wanna work either...cant access the shared files on any pc using its counterpart. Ive tried the networksetup assistant on both PCs.
Not that im bothered about that, i just want to use the internet on the second pc.
I need to start the connection on the main pc, so that i can use the connection on the 2nd pc, (thing is it has worked before on my laptop, i just cant remember how i got it to work(prolly just kicked the laptop)

So if anyone has a idea of how to solve this, PLEASE TELL ME GODDAMN >_<.
Or a link to a decent guide will do as well.

Some Info:
Main PC
Win XP Pro
2.6 AMD
1024 DDR RAM
Geforce 4 4800 SE

2nd PC
Win XP Pro
866 Pentium 3
128 RAM
Some Geforce 2

Richard Angelus
17-10-04, 21:26
-set IP Adress on your main Computer to 192.168.0.1, the Adress of your second PC to 192.168.0.XXX (XXX= Number between 2 and 255)
-set up connection to Internet on your main computer
-test internet
-enable ISC on the main computer
-on second PC Standardgateway=192.168.0.1 and DNS Server=192.168.0.1
-test Internet on second PC, if it's not working deactivate Firewall (if you have one)....if thats not working too, i can't help you :D

Azrael104
17-10-04, 22:18
Thanks for the reply, but i think ill just give ics the one fingered salute, and buy myself a wireless router. Less hassle. But ill give your solution a try, in either way, this thread can be closed.

Quake
17-10-04, 22:33
A more detailed version of the internetsharing someone else suggested.
This requires Windows XP Proffesional.

Tech Requirements:
2 PC's
3 Network cards. (2 in the one connected to internet)

If you got onboard gigabitlan use that to the network and your 10/100 adapter for internet.

This is what you do:
PC 1 (Connected directly to internet)
Controlpanel > Network > Right click your internet card and click on properties > Advanced > Share internet connection > click OK.

PC 2 (Connected to internet trough another computer)
Controlpanel > Network > Right click your internet card and click on properties > Click on internet protocol TCP/IP > Properties.

In IP type in 192.168.0.2
Netmask or whatever it's translated to in english it should be 255.255.255.0 should only have to click on it.
Gateway: 192.168.0.1
DNS: 192.168.0.1

Should work like a charm and save you a few penny's

*Edit* If you only have 2 computers why go trough a hub? Use a crossed TP cable.

Nidhogg
17-10-04, 22:51
Thread moved.

N

LiL T
17-10-04, 23:33
If your using just 2 PC's you don't need that HUB you need the correct network cable for link 2 PC's directly I had a problem when I set mine up I used the wrong type.

Cross-over cable

Type of networking cable that connects two computers or network devices directly to one another

This is all you need 2 network cards one 5 - 10 M cross-over cable have the main PC connected to the internet none of this uplink shite :lol: and have the other PC setup to connect to the internet through LAN

/EDIT make sure its CAT 5 cable the fastest type 100 Mb

Quake
18-10-04, 00:22
If your using just 2 PC's you don't need that HUB you need the correct network cable for link 2 PC's directly I had a problem when I set mine up I used the wrong type.

Cross-over cable

Type of networking cable that connects two computers or network devices directly to one another

This is all you need 2 network cards one 5 - 10 M cross-over cable have the main PC connected to the internet none of this uplink shite :lol: and have the other PC setup to connect to the internet through LAN

/EDIT make sure its CAT 5 cable the fastest type 100 Mb

Im sorry but, it doesnt work that way LOL. Unless you got some new superduper ultra Windows that automaticly assumes you wanna share the internet connection. There is an internet connection sharing guide, and what that guide is doing is exactly the same thing as i described above.

Oh and btw how would you make it work with 2 network cards? if you skip the hub? I wouldnt advice trying to fit both the network cable and the modem cable into the same port. :D

LiL T
18-10-04, 00:35
Yeah I know you still have to setup the network :rolleyes:

Oh and btw how would you make it work with 2 network cards? if you skip the hub? I wouldnt advice trying to fit both the network cable and the modem cable into the same port.

Like I said a cross-over cable is all thats need to link the 2 PC's a HUB is for linking many many PC's together the HUB does what the cross-over cable does. Look at it like this the only way you can connect more than 2 PC's is by using a HUB but if you only got 2 PC's you don't need the HUB you just need the correct cable I got one right here infront of me and it works ;)

wouldnt advice trying to fit both the network cable and the modem cable into the same port.

EH? what sort of card he got??? I'm sure the modem is totaly seperated from a the network card in other words he should have 2 ports at the back of his PC 1 for modem and one for network

This is what I'm on about in the pic

amfest
18-10-04, 01:19
Lil T not all computers come with two network card connections. Nor do all modems use a USB connection to the hub. You'd need 2 RJ45 (<-- been a while not sure if that was the right name of the cable) connections in order to run 1 to one computer and the other to the modem. if you don't have 2 of those connections then you need a hub/switch/router in order to link them all together or buy another network card ;)

Spermy
18-10-04, 09:41
Rawr - I run a 3 comp network at home - comes in handeh when your muling in NC!!! ^_^

Comp 1 - USB to Modem. Network cable to Hub. (teh gateway)

Comp 2 - Networked to Hub

Comp 3 - Networked to hub.

Simple - no nonesense. One gateway and two clients.

OR

Just get hold of a router and plug the Hub into that - same deal except everyone gets it straight from the source, rather than through the gateway.

Think the hub to router needs a crossover.

Anyhows thats it realleh.

Access to shared is either undefined or that bleedin windows firewall is being it's crappy self.

There we are lamest of lamens terms - Foolproof.