16-10-04, 21:30
just deleted 10 worm exe files
5 viruses
7 memory bunnies

all had gotten in along with the windows install

Heavyporker
17-10-04, 01:22
seriously?

Uhh.... was that a warez version of windows?

Because I highly doubt a legitmate CD/license of windows would come prepackaged with all sorts of anal explorers...

naimex
17-10-04, 01:30
seriously?

Uhh.... was that a warez version of windows?

Because I highly doubt a legitmate CD/license of windows would come prepackaged with all sorts of anal explorers...

doesnīt matter. they come in on both storebought windows and warez versions (i have legitimate versions aswell so iīve tried).

itīs when you during install press the option "use updated setup files" so you dont have to update as many things once you get inside windows..

and you might aswell do it, because you get these viruses and worms and all that crap when you do the windowsupdate from microsofts site anyways..

DonnyJepp
17-10-04, 04:07
doesnīt matter. they come in on both storebought windows and warez versions (i have legitimate versions aswell so iīve tried).

itīs when you during install press the option "use updated setup files" so you dont have to update as many things once you get inside windows..

and you might aswell do it, because you get these viruses and worms and all that crap when you do the windowsupdate from microsofts site anyways..

Try doing your install off the network, adding SP2, and then hooking up to your DSL or whatever. You'll be a lot less prone to picking up nasties.

StryfeX
17-10-04, 09:11

and you might aswell do it, because you get these viruses and worms and all that crap when you do the windowsupdate from microsofts site anyways..Err... Quite frankly that's bullshit. Even if MS stuff is not the greatest quality, they do not load virii/worms/"memory bunnies" (wtf are those, anyway?) into their products.

Try this. Completely isolate the PC from the rest of the world, perform a full wipe (including MBR), reinstall Windows XP (Pro if you have it), then install SP2. *THEN* reconnect it to the network and let it download patches.

--Stryfe

naimex
17-10-04, 11:48
Err... Quite frankly that's bullshit. Even if MS stuff is not the greatest quality, they do not load virii/worms/"memory bunnies" (wtf are those, anyway?) into their products.

Try this. Completely isolate the PC from the rest of the world, perform a full wipe (including MBR), reinstall Windows XP (Pro if you have it), then install SP2. *THEN* reconnect it to the network and let it download patches.

--Stryfe

thats the real problem isnt it.. ive just this morning finished downloading the servicepacks..

every other time ive taken them from windows update.

and i have not once in my life, been able to do windows updates from microsofts site, without getting infected with something, after a new windows install.

kurai
17-10-04, 12:40
It's not from Microsoft's site.

It's from hanging an unprotected, unpatched, virgin OS install out on the internet so it can get ********** senseless by every passing scanner and worm. ;)

Patching up *before* you expose an OS to the big bad world should be an obvious step in fundamental logic.
You'd be amazed the number of nominally clued up people who never grasp this little detail.

For what it's worth it's not solely a Microsoft problem. There's plenty of sshd/ftpd/rpcd/named etc. exploits around and scanners that look for them.
One statistic I recall from a couple of RedHat linux releases back ... life expectancy of a vanilla standard install connected directly to the internet was 7 minutes.

DonnyJepp
17-10-04, 18:54
Even better idea: Slipstream SP2 into your original XP CD and have SP2 installed from the get-go.

Here's some sites with instructions:

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp

http://www.windows-help.net/WindowsXP/winxp-sp2-bootcd.html