View Full Version : Remove the PSI casting animation?

BlackDove
14-10-04, 14:18
Just vote. Self-explanatory.

___T-X____
14-10-04, 14:20
Its wank, makes ppu'ing hella hard. REMOVE IT.

nEo-1664
14-10-04, 14:20
how do you vote without a poll? :lol: but as for you question in hand, i dont think it should be removed completely, but maybe a different animation instand, one that looks remotly normal :angel:

[EDIT]sod the poll bit, there wasnt a poll a second a go when i started writing this :P

BlackDove
14-10-04, 14:22
Jesus christ. The thread is created before a poll is created. :wtf:

HELLO FORUM BUG!

First two posts were in before I clicked "submit".

JustIn_Case
14-10-04, 14:24
You forgot the HELL YES option ;)

nEo-1664
14-10-04, 14:25
Jesus christ. The thread is created before a poll is created. :wtf:

HELLO FORUM BUG!

First two posts were in before I clicked "submit".

:lol: sorry :angel: :D:D

BlackDove
14-10-04, 14:26
maybe a different animation instand, one that looks remotly normal

You have NO idea how much I loved the 2 day period when the PA's were "bugged" and the casting animation was held off to keeping one hand close to the body, and casting from sideways WITHOUT any arm function.

I'd be happy as long as it's:

a) As it was when it was "bugged" (damn, it looked COOL casting as if you didn't care that you were casting it...)
b) As it was in Neocron 1

Mechanicus
14-10-04, 14:28
i like the casting animations, gives you something to look at when your hunting but does it really make spells take longer to cast?

sultana
14-10-04, 14:35
The animation for casting the spell takes longer, not the actual rof increases :wtf: This is causing some problems for ppus trying to cast their shields and such, say, after being antibuffed (for me it seems fine, but I'm not minority...), back in nc1, the casting animation finished basically as soon as you cast the spell...

BlackDove
14-10-04, 14:35
i like the casting animations

[ edited ]
How can you "like" the stuff?

Dribble Joy
14-10-04, 14:39
Change the spell/item and the anim stops.

Besides, I've never had a problem with casting, I use 1st person though.

hinch
14-10-04, 14:51
stupid ****** cast animations its bad enough the new monk models all look mince without giving them crappy cast anims

i feel like im playing daoc or some other crappy fantasy rpg accept without the cool char customisation

BlackDove
14-10-04, 14:57
Yeap, hinch hits it on the head.

There is NO difference in context (go look for yourself) between the PSI casting emote, and typing the words

"I'm glad I'm gay!"

Go see for yourself.

Yes, I know that the only emote that pulls from that sentence is the word "glad" - I'm just trying to connect the dots here people, quit replying with stupid points

Glok
14-10-04, 15:01
I never see those anims as I play in first person. I also never have to wait, as the first person anim is unchanged from NC1.

edit: Voted yes on this horribly biased poll though, cause everyone else looks stupid. :p

hegemonic
14-10-04, 15:14
I'm glad someone brought this point about PSI casting animation. I HATE IT.

I commend KK for trying to make the game look better, BUT;

It makes NO SENSE. Psionic powers are by definition MENTAL POWERS and thus should not need any hand movement to make them work. The PSI spells need to be pointed/aimed at your target and I don't see how that can happen with your Monk character raving..

If you're going to keep the animation, at least give my Monk a glowstick or a tennis ball with a portable blacklight :p

Nidhogg
14-10-04, 15:30
BlackDove, edit your poll to make it unbiased or I will close it, and stop harassing people who disagree with you.

N

MkVenner
14-10-04, 15:39
imo the casting aimation is too "fantasy"and "magicky", if it was a bit more sci fi then it wouldnt be a prob

so im not gunna vote, coz theres no, change it option :p

hinch
14-10-04, 15:41
i would love the entire right arm to have a metal exo skelenton from the glove going upto the base of the neck

when you cast it pulls back the right arm (in the lowered L position) the entire thing glows from neck downards and then the arm extends forward and the spell casts.

that way it'd actually look like its psychic channeling

(god my spelling is shite today)

Frotto
14-10-04, 15:44
hinch... for the first time ever... i agree with you... :eek: what is wrong with me today...

Cheers

/edit -- I too am not voting because there is no option for change it. it does look rather sorcerer-ish instead of angry-psychic-dude-ish.

Glok
14-10-04, 15:47
hinch that would be a proper animation indeed.

evs
14-10-04, 15:54
Crap poll.

Apu anim is fine and works a treat. (throwing fireballs etc looks very good)

PPU anim needs fixing as its too long winded

hinch
14-10-04, 16:00
frotto its not my fault im always right and you guys are only just realising it :)

btw say hi to args for meh :) tell him i've been playing with meh jedi last night :)

Nidhogg
14-10-04, 16:24
Poll edited.

N

BlackDove
14-10-04, 16:25
Couldn't care less. It's the same thing, edited or unedited.

Also - tip for you: Normal members can't edit polls.

Nidhogg
14-10-04, 16:31
Also - tip for you: Normal members can't edit polls.I realised that which is why I edited it for you instead of closing it.

N

Bugs Gunny
14-10-04, 16:36
Animation speed should be related to the frequency of the spell.

For instance:

Low level ppu casts high level spell: He looks like someone doing Tai-Chi in a field of grass.

High level ppu casts high level spelled with cpped freq: He looks like fuckin Bruce Lee on amfetamines :-)

Darken
14-10-04, 17:11
Ye, different animations for different spells freqs, :D

Singularity
14-10-04, 18:04
PPU in first person :rolleyes:

.Cyl0n
14-10-04, 19:29
YES REMOVE IT!!!! :mad:

cant play my fucking ppu anymore because of this bullshit is **************************************

:mad:

Mechanicus
14-10-04, 20:00
would be cool if their head glowed or something

soundphed
14-10-04, 20:10
BlackDove, edit your poll to make it unbiased or I will close it, and stop harassing people who disagree with you.

N

ahahha, werd...If people don't agree with you don't make them feel like idiots for it, thats just retarded. Now...everybody dance.

Xylaz
14-10-04, 20:32
The main problem i can see here is that casting animations dont stop when the spell ends, which negates the ROF of the spell....

in other words, i'm casting basic tl 3 heal which takes around 1 second to cast, assuming i do that in combat - right after the spell is casted i'm switching back to weapon and...
...and spell animation is still playing even if the spell is already running, i have to wait additional 2 seconds then i have to watch another animation when my char is reaching for the weapon and activating it, that's another 1 second. Finally i can shoot... that's about 3 seconds when i'm basically unable to do anything because of the stupid animation...

My vote is - make that spell animations stops when the casting is completed

QuantumDelta
14-10-04, 21:11
Remove it, make it less extravagant, something, please....

We don't need to some "REACH FOR THE TOP Doodoodoodoo." S Club friggin dance everytime we cast a spell.

Thankfully, I play in first person, if I played in third, I'd have been driven insane by now. :p

___T-X____
14-10-04, 21:13
Remove it, make it less extravagant, something, please....

We don't need to some "REACH FOR THE TOP Doodoodoodoo." S Club friggin dance everytime we cast a spell.

Thankfully, I play in first person, if I played in third, I'd have been driven insane by now. :p

isnt it reach out for the stars ? lol why do i know this ? Do I know this, Where am I ?

QuantumDelta
14-10-04, 21:16
isnt it reach out for the stars ? lol why do i know this ? Do I know this, Where am I ?
I don't know what the lyrics are... just that it has "reach for the " something upwards top..sky..stars.....something god knows.

Darth Slayer
14-10-04, 21:45
I vote yes because it looks gay. (Am I allowed to say Gay in todays PC gone mad world ? )

Scorpius.

Carinth
14-10-04, 22:13
I really despise the casting animation, it totaly reinforces all the morons who think monks are mages and don't belong in a scifi/cyberpunk game. Look at the monkey casting magic!

But alright if we're not gonna remove it, at the very least give us 3 or so different animations depending on our rof on the spell. That way we're not looking stupid doing the full animation when it takes 3 or 4 times as long as the spell we just casted.

J. Folsom
14-10-04, 22:15
I really despise the casting animation, it totaly reinforces all the morons who think monks are mages and don't belong in a scifi/cyberpunk game. Look at the monkey casting magic!Have to agree with that, I also think it's a change for the worse that spell vendors are actually labelled as such, the vendors should at least still refer to the things as psi modules, even if no one else does.

Xylaz
14-10-04, 23:07
ah and one more thing, there is no fizzle animation, if u fizzle the spell you have to wait all 4 seconds waiting for your monkey to finally stop the muppet dance.
It should work simply: when spell ends (either due to fizzle or high rof) - animations stops and character is ready for another move.

DigestiveBiscui
15-10-04, 01:17
miscasting heaven

get rid of it unless u can fix miscasting - and even if u fix tat make the ppu one look less SHIT

BlackDove
15-10-04, 03:41
I really despise the casting animation, it totaly reinforces all the morons who think monks are mages and don't belong in a scifi/cyberpunk game. Look at the monkey casting magic!

SO true.

Enemy
15-10-04, 06:12
I like the new animations. Monks are sissies and the new casting animations show them to be what they really are.

Viktor
15-10-04, 06:23
If the GM's had to pick one change the community wanted that they didn't have to pay attention to, this better be the one.

Stop whining.

ladyattis
15-10-04, 06:37
Heh I have no idea what the hell you're talking about but if the animation is making too many problems I say be gone with it. LOL!

-- Bridget

ino
15-10-04, 08:42
Yes please take it the fuck away. the ballerina animation I could live with for the ress spell maby, but not every fucking heal 52/min :)..

Oh and while Im whining remove the I just took it in the ass run animation when wearing the PA atleast :)

Candaman
15-10-04, 08:58
YES REMOVE IT!!!! :mad:

cant play my fucking ppu anymore because of this bullshit is **************************************

:mad:

seconded

danyboy
15-10-04, 12:55
There is also problem in HackNet. I play in 1st person perspective and i don't know if my character actually "cast" the attack "spell" or not, did i miss or it's still being "casted". Have to go to 3rd person to see what is happening, and i don't like it :(
Can this be fixed somehow?

Jesterthegreat
15-10-04, 14:02
[ edited ]
How can you "like" the stuff?

they are perfectly likable... DAoC has had the PPU one for its rez animation for years...

however they are poorly implimented and not suited to this game. i vote remove

Shinto
15-10-04, 14:25
I like the new animations. Monks are sissies and the new casting animations show them to be what they really are.ahahaha quality.

tbh the casting isnt to bad on a tank with PA on, looks like hes thrusting a gauntleted hand to the sky in defiance of the nibblet attacking him.

as for ppus dunno dont play one, tho if its interfearing with what the weapon should be doing then ya needs changing.

tbh the monk skins suck so i dont play then atm.

Jesterthegreat
15-10-04, 14:28
ahahaha quality.

tbh the casting isnt to bad on a tank with PA on, looks like hes thrusting a gauntleted hand to the sky in defiance of the nibblet attacking him.

as for ppus dunno dont play one, tho if its interfearing with what the weapon should be doing then ya needs changing.

tbh the monk skins suck so i dont play then atm.

crouch, look up, then cast...

phear the John Travolta Disco Casting...

:edit: or possibly the Fonz Casting...

Shinto
15-10-04, 14:30
crouch, look up, then cast...

phear the John Travolta Disco Casting...

:edit: or possibly the Fonz Casting...
lol works for me :D

BlackDove
15-10-04, 15:05
they are perfectly likable... DAoC has had the PPU one for its rez animation for years...

however they are poorly implimented and not suited to this game. i vote remove

I can understand if the ballerina dancing is somehow connected to the context, but to have to dance in THIS game every god damn time you cast a spell (and it's NOT EVEN WORKING PROPERLY - JESUS) is just simply

a) Annoying
b) Stupid
c) Useless

Xylaz
15-10-04, 15:12
d) its bugged anyway

ANIMATIONS SHOULD STOP WHEN THE SPELL ENDS OR MISCASTS

BlackDove
15-10-04, 15:52
IMO, animation should stop, period. :p

hinch
15-10-04, 15:54
*runs around waving arms in the air like a wine-o in a park*

whee im a monk im a monk

*runs around waving arms in the air like a wine-o in a park only not actually achieving anything just looking like a twat*

Glok
15-10-04, 15:56
muahahaha

[TgR]KILLER
15-10-04, 16:00
imho the animations aren't to bad. gues kk put work in it on making them.. but having to wait on a bloody 5 second animation to finish when you "miss cast" is bloody anoying.. have it on killer alot when rebuffing :/

Shinto
15-10-04, 16:03
tbh i wanna know why kk wasted there time doing things like this when they havnt even implemented many of the things we were promised

BlackDove
15-10-04, 17:04
They needed something to scream "change", so this was a desperate attempt at that. That'd be my guess. Seeing as how NC2=NC1 in almost everything.

We all know it's not supposed to work that way. Never has, never should. This isn't a game called "Mage Rampage Ballerina" - PSI monks are supposed to look COOL, not like they sniffed glue and then decided to do something.

Dribble Joy
15-10-04, 17:11
tbh i wanna know why kk wasted there time doing things like this when they havnt even implemented many of the things we were promised
Because not all of KK are coders, there are still content, artwork and sound etc. people working on the game.

kurai
15-10-04, 17:16
Didn't you hear ?

Motion capture is the brand new soopah-doopah bleeding edge technology for the 21st Century and KK had to ride that technology wave to keep the game at the forefront of the digital revolution. :rolleyes:

The fact that they did it incredibly badly is beside the point.
They now have an emotional investment in the idea and won't change it. Period.

There's plenty of other examples of stuff like this in the game - someone has a kernel of an idea and KK go with it, come hell or high water, no matter how badly implemented/broken/unwanted/unneccessary it is.

Perhaps we could have a motion captured animation of someone trying to find their ass with both hands.

Glok
15-10-04, 17:19
If the animations are motion capture, kurai, I'll eat my chair.

Shinto
15-10-04, 17:21
If the animations are motion capture, kurai, I'll eat my chair.
its what i read somewhere.

i think they were drunk at the time and was playing DAOC or something

Miss Naughty
15-10-04, 17:26
The majority of the new animations are cool. Yeah the psi cast looks a bit too over the top. Personally I'll live with it if they just tighten up the implementation.

Miscasting is the biggest gripe I have.

(eXo) Opaleye
15-10-04, 18:47
IMHO the psi animations are just plain gay and screw with the ROF of the spells - they have to go.

All I have to say about this

QuantumDelta
15-10-04, 21:54
Heh I have no idea what the hell you're talking about but if the animation is making too many problems I say be gone with it. LOL!

-- Bridget
Next time you're ingame on a character that can use a heal spell, press Alt-E and fire the spell.

................Watch your char's dance of doom.

Jesterthegreat
15-10-04, 22:53
I can understand if the ballerina dancing is somehow connected to the context, but to have to dance in THIS game every god damn time you cast a spell (and it's NOT EVEN WORKING PROPERLY - JESUS) is just simply

a) Annoying
b) Stupid
c) Useless

er... thats exactly what i said (in different words)

Spikadelia
16-10-04, 09:41
"I'm a Little Teapot short and stout here is my handle and here's my Holy Spout"

Shockingly bad animations.

bluelights
16-10-04, 15:42
REMOVE IT, it is HORRIBLE

it looks Gay and is no good.......

since NC2 has come out, i try to play but last only 10 - 20mins, the new animations put me totally off the game

br

BlackDove
17-10-04, 08:36
Not that we're bashing homosexuals (at least I'm not), but yes, it does look gay. I don't like my character to be doing gay things. I don't consider myself gay, nor do I want him to be gay in a roleplaying venue, and considering the fact I do cast my buffs every minute or so, he does look gay. Again, all respect towards people who are homosexual, no offense intended, it's just that it's so gay.

Birkoff
17-10-04, 09:57
Remove the fucking things

period

Asurmen Spec Op
18-10-04, 14:17
imho I like it and I dont think it should be gone
plus alot of spells really go to god damn fast

El_MUERkO
18-10-04, 14:45
Change it, a less 'Saturday Night Fever' effect would be nice, just a small movement of the arms and a light effect around the caster so people know whos casting what.

YA5
19-10-04, 00:59
Looks like he wants to drive some flies away. (do we say it so in ENG)

I do not played my PPU 'cause i need the 3rd person view, and if i use that i would laughing and no playing ...

Yelly
20-10-04, 11:58
I think most ppl want them removed because they think
it now take longer to cast as spell because of the animation
And that it totally false.Still same freq on spells and most
of the time he cannot even wave full before he start doing it again
So that means it has nothing to do with how fast you cast the spells.
If ppl still not belive it go weatch an apu hitting a WB for example
he start the animation and not even a second later he start doing same again
without completing the ritual

Jesterthegreat
20-10-04, 14:52
I think most ppl want them removed because they think
it now take longer to cast as spell because of the animation
And that it totally false.Still same freq on spells and most
of the time he cannot even wave full before he start doing it again
So that means it has nothing to do with how fast you cast the spells.
If ppl still not belive it go weatch an apu hitting a WB for example
he start the animation and not even a second later he start doing same again
without completing the ritual

no most people want it removed cos it doesnt fit with the game and looks stupid...

and (whether its related to this new animation or not) spells cant be casted as quickly after drawing them now. however with the weapon pulling animation the same thing is happening with other weapons so that may be intentional

BlackDove
20-10-04, 15:07
They should just exchange all of the emotes back to as they were in NC1 (hacknet emotes for casting) if nothing else.

Bah.

BlackDove
25-10-04, 05:57
So it's 68% vs 31% - good majority wants it gone.

Can we get any word if this waving "feature" can be removed/replaced?

bluelights
25-10-04, 11:02
GET RID OF THE FUCKING SHIT PSI ANIMATIOn

kurai
25-10-04, 11:20
It looked ridiculous in 1977 when John Travolta did it.

It looks ridiculous now.

It'll still look ridiculous in 2777.

Get rid of it.

sultana
25-10-04, 11:56
So it's 68% vs 31% - good majority wants it gone.

Can we get any word if this waving "feature" can be removed/replaced?
They put a poll up about the saturn rollback (whether to use the snapshot or rollback to the 5th, was it?). And the community chose to rollback, so they did. I know there are differences between this and that, but still...

Ozzon
25-10-04, 12:48
Im a PPU and animations works for me without any problems (i don't get you guys really).

I also like the fact that my monk seems to be alive now, compared to being a damn half dead, barely moving his hands like it was before.
Those animations are really not so bad.

BlackDove
26-10-04, 08:31
Yeah kurai, good idea about KK putting up a poll.

Man, I don't care, I just want this thing gone. It's obvious people want it gone. Why can't they just swap the thing out with the hacknet animation.

(fyi - hacknet animation is similar to how it was in nc1 - that's why I'm saying it)