PDA

View Full Version : So, the memory leak?

Whitestuff
13-10-04, 19:07
Is the memory leak fixed yet? It was a really big problem for me in the open beta and I am certainly not going to pay for a memory leak in a retail game. You guys know, the one where the game crashes and you restart it and 1/2 of your effective RAM is gone (ie- the game doesn't see it as available). I have 1.25 gigs of RAM and to see 900+ of it on the first start of NC2 then 600 or so after it crashes, then again down to about 300... Oh well log off Windows XP, restart.... (this is all within ohhhh, 45 minutes or so, it crashes that often). It seems as though I am doing what I did in NC1 after beta, waiting for a lot of major issues to get resolved....

So anyway, is it better now? Can I buy 2 copies of the game with relative confidence that it is at least as good as NC1 was (like, crashing every hour or so, not multiple times in an hour). Well, if I buy it, it will have to be next month, I just preordered HL2 and can't afford it atm.

EDIT:: SP > ME

Jesterthegreat
13-10-04, 19:21
patch notes said it was improved...

doubt its gone though, when someones played it for a while im sure they will post abuse here if its not much better :)

Whitestuff
13-10-04, 19:31
It was improved.... hmmmm, well I have to wait until next month anyway. *sigh* Here's hoping they fix it completely by november. Well, not the whole game, but the memory leak at least.

Jesterthegreat
13-10-04, 19:40
It was improved.... hmmmm, well I have to wait until next month anyway. *sigh* Here's hoping they fix it completely by november. Well, not the whole game, but the memory leak at least.

in fact i think it said

"fixed a small memory leak"

at least its work in progress :)

Tratos
13-10-04, 19:47
its most likly not just one huge memory leak but many small ones so that bit of the notes is a step in the right direction :D

lets hope they find and fix the rest.

Yelly
13-10-04, 19:51
Hmm this is really weird.I see ingame memory go down yes slowly but
Always when I logout from game I got all ram back in win xp.
And I never changed any settings in any memory related stuff in xp
All base and no program that free memory either.
So I got no clue how it eat up ppl RAM so they have to reboot whole comp

Endar
13-10-04, 20:09
You know how the RAM memory works right? The program requests amount of memory for some task, and after it has completed the task and doesnt need to memory anymore it releases it. So the memory leak is basicly something that requests memory and doesnt release it for another use.

Now usually when you shut down a program it releases the memory no matter what, but if the code for requesting it and releasing it is seriously flawed, the windows thinks that the program still needs the memory and doesnt release it even after you have shut down the program. Thats why you should always restart your computer after downloading lots of files, or if you leave your computer on for long periods of time there is high chance that some "ghost program parts" are still in your RAM.

When you restart your computer the RAM (or Random Access Memory) will be cleared and all the "ghost program parts" will be wiped.

Now I have never needet to restart my computer after playing Neocron 2, but it is possible that activating or using some things in the game creates those annoying ghost program parts. It is also possible that ReaKKtor has fixed those parts in this patch.

But like I said, I never have had em, so I wouldnt know.

whifix
13-10-04, 20:23
If you mute all chat channels it takes alot longer to run out of memory but it makes for boring gameplay.

BunkerBoy
13-10-04, 22:14
after the last patch (112) my memmory leak seems to ahve slowed down quite a bit. yay for KK =P

Yelly
14-10-04, 11:47
I usually got uptime on a few weeks on my comp and I always got over 800 free in windows of a total of 1.2 gig.Even if I play NC all day or whatever so I got no clue how ppl have to reboot their comp

Xylaz
14-10-04, 11:53
memory leak is still here, big and ugly, though i have to confirm that KK did fix something. It seems to be a little slower now. I can play for around 30% longer before crashing (which is for like 20-25 mins). So its a good start, in a way...

kurai
14-10-04, 13:15
When the leak bottoms out I just get an FRE now - previously I was getting hard lockups that only the reset button would resolve.

It's one fuck of a coding achievement to manage to do that on an otherwise rock solid XP box 8|

Since I'm not getting bastard great lumps chewed out of my disks and filesystems every half hour now I can live with the FRE as an alternative.

Pretty sad state of affairs when that's the best one can say. :(

Nidhogg
14-10-04, 13:17
Can I confirm that you're not running anything else at the same time (like TS for example). I'm curious as to why some people see their memory go down while others don't. Can you also post whether you're using the DX7 or DX9 client?

N

THE_TICK!!!!
14-10-04, 13:19
G00d call niddy i was wondering that myself :D

SynC_187
14-10-04, 13:27
Can I confirm that you're not running anything else at the same time (like TS for example). I'm curious as to why some people see their memory go down while others don't. Can you also post whether you're using the DX7 or DX9 client?

N

Running NC2 and VirusScan Enterprise 7.

Haven't tried new patch, but memory would go down every time I zoned or logged on to another char. This happens with DX7 and DX9.

NC2 also plays in slowmo. My framerare is usually 120+ and turnspeed is great, but animations and runspeed suck. Its worse than the speed of a brand new char on my capped PE.

A few other people have mentioned it but nothings happened since beta. If new players arrive to a game that runs like that how many are going to stay?

Edit: All drivers up to date.

Dribble Joy
14-10-04, 13:27
I'm using DX9, I start with about 150 mb free ram, which will slowly go down to about 5 mb. However it will not reach 0 and FRE, just sit there.

Also, even with 100+ mb, I still get the fps lags and jumps.
It's like there is a problem with loading new textures and models.

hinch
14-10-04, 13:29
dx9
either with vent running or on a clean system with everything shutdown appart from windows

nc eats 2gb ram in approx 24 minutes. then doesnt give the old FRE error it gives me a C++ runtime lib error which i can then run the debugger against if i so wish (yes i have full vc++ dev installed)

staying in 1 zone appears to increase duration of play time

zoneing in wastes doesnt especially eat extra ram.
each zone in doy eats an extra 100mb of ram.

each NC city zone eats approx 300mb per zone.

suggest nc mappers take leaf out of CS mappers and stop texturing where you dont need to ie: invisiable areas and remove all the damn stray polys and surfaces that are unnessary.

on a side note im kinda let down by the lighting in the crahn church i was assuming that the ligh rays cast would be generated from a proper light source etc however on closer inspection they are't theyre just static pictures wrapped around an invisiable object with collision turned off.

real waste of a move to dx9 tbh

kurai
14-10-04, 13:30
Being in the systems business I tend to be *very* picky about how my systems are setup and I know exactly what they are doing at any given time :D

I've gone through a pretty thorough elimination process, right down to core system services and drivers plus the various iterations of NC config.
Nothing appreciably affected Neocron's instability for the better.

Gut feeling is that it's a timing issue as it switches stuff from ram into pagefile - if it can't complete the paging operation of one lump of data before another lump gets loaded into physical ram and physical hits zero ... boom :(

Dribble Joy
14-10-04, 13:33
on a side note im kinda let down by the lighting in the crahn church i was assuming that the ligh rays cast would be generated from a proper light source etc however on closer inspection they are't theyre just static pictures wrapped around an invisiable object with collision turned off.

The lighting effects that were in the closed beta (which only really showed up on the hair models) were quite good, I think sumething went wrong in trying to get them to work on all the models though.

KRIMINAL99
14-10-04, 14:23
I use DX7 and my memory goes down. Im running ME, but plenty of people running XP have had the same problem. geforce 4 card etc.

Someone mentioned chat windows... I usually keep help, ooc, trade, faction, and local all un muted.

Being in the systems business I tend to be *very* picky about how my systems are setup and I know exactly what they are doing at any given time :D

I've gone through a pretty thorough elimination process, right down to core system services and drivers plus the various iterations of NC config.
Nothing appreciably affected Neocron's instability for the better.

Gut feeling is that it's a timing issue as it switches stuff from ram into pagefile - if it can't complete the paging operation of one lump of data before another lump gets loaded into physical ram and physical hits zero ... boom :(

So what are you saying? That if someone happened to have more memory such that the game would never need virtual memory then they wouldn't have a problem, while people who did need it would have the problem? Or am I misunderstanding what a page file is?

In any case I only have 384 ram and the memory leak eats up my memory pretty fast.

hinch
14-10-04, 14:50
forgot to mention 2gb ram = page file disabled i force all programs to use ram only and not page. (things are faster when using ram than paging :) )

kurai
14-10-04, 20:40
So what are you saying? That if someone happened to have more memory such that the game would never need virtual memory then they wouldn't have a problem, while people who did need it would have the problem? Or am I misunderstanding what a page file is?Not saying they wouldn't have a problem ... see Hinch's config. The `leak` is still an issue.

I was more referring to the way that there seems to be a fundamental problem in the way ram request deadlocks are handled.

whifix
14-10-04, 22:57
Playing with no pagefile under W2K yielded more stability, quicker response from the client, and less ram usage if I remember correctly. I'll try again tonight with the new patch. Downside is when RAM does run out your computer dies.

hinch
15-10-04, 01:01
naah it doesnt win2k and winxp both use NT based memory protection when an application tries to eat more memory than is available from both ram and pagefile combined windows pretends to hang for about 2 minutes then shuts down completely the offending application and force releases all memory addressed by it

kurai
15-10-04, 04:36
Bah - bloody hard lockups are back - I must have just been lucky.
After having none since patch #112 just had 2 in the last 15 mins.

After the fun time I had recovering my unbootable system disk (again) NC2 is now stuffed back in it's fucking cage, and isn't being let out till this shit is fixed. Properly.

Obviously that means it may be some considerable time before I am in game again :rolleyes:

Jesterthegreat
15-10-04, 13:54
Bah - bloody hard lockups are back - I must have just been lucky.
After having none since patch #112 just had 2 in the last 15 mins.

After the fun time I had recovering my unbootable system disk (again) NC2 is now stuffed back in it's fucking cage, and isn't being let out till this shit is fixed. Properly.

Obviously that means it may be some considerable time before I am in game again :rolleyes:

i hard lockup every launch in DX9...

works in DX7 though (obviously my GeFroce FX 5900 Ultra is to old :p)

Kugero
15-10-04, 21:17
I'm using DX9, I start with about 150 mb free ram, which will slowly go down to about 5 mb. However it will not reach 0 and FRE, just sit there.

Also, even with 100+ mb, I still get the fps lags and jumps.
It's like there is a problem with loading new textures and models.

Similar issue here. I can run around in a random zone without any problems and then all the sudden my free memory drops to 4mb or so and my fps drops to 0-1. Usually occurs around graphic models like waste land architecture or mulitple Mobs. At first I thought it might be the graphic packs unpacking textures or something but when I return to a lag spot it can happen again. Hard drive light goes nuts during the 'lag'. If I can manage to move myself away from the area my fps recovers back to steady 30fps or so. Game never completely locks up.

2.8 GHz P4, 512MB Ram Win 2k
DX9 with a GForce 5600 128MB card.

I just bumped my system ram to 1GB - haven't tried playing yet. I've also adjusted my pagefile to 1024-2048 MB - we'll see if that helps ...

Morganth
15-10-04, 21:58
I haven't had any trouble with my total RAM decreasing at all, so I guess it must only affect people who's PC's fit certain criteria. And I believe one of the memory leaks is in one of the DX9 DLLs.

N

I run both a DX7 and a DX9 client (two different PCs), both with around 1.8 Gigs of RAM from start to finish. Also have MSN, Vent and NAV running in the background and have no trouble at all.

LiL T
15-10-04, 23:43
naah it doesnt win2k and winxp both use NT based memory protection when an application tries to eat more memory than is available from both ram and pagefile combined windows pretends to hang for about 2 minutes then shuts down completely the offending application and force releases all memory addressed by it

Yes and then we get an FRE I think that memory leak has been with us for a long time see when you zone NC will try to eat a large chuck of memory. If it has no RAM windows will fuck it off thats what I think