PDA

View Full Version : Network Monitors

juvestar15
13-10-04, 07:20
Hi peoples,
I have to do this assignment on network traffic when using a webcam. I've setup one webcam on my other PC and used Netmeeting to communicate. We are meant to be using Vital Agent to monitor what's happening on the network but there are a few problems.

1.) Vital Agent has worked twice out of 50+ attempts(My stupid fucking teacher doesn't care)

2.) I can't get that version of Vital Agent installed on my PCs. I can only get older and newer versions. They don't have the "Sybase" option(this option should capture netmeering packet)

So i was on the search for a monitoring tool that actually works. At the moment i am using TracePlus Ethernet which is great, but it doesn't have two important stats(Packet loss and Throughput).

Here is a list of what stats i need.
Bytes Sent/Received
Packets per second
Packet Loss
Throughput

TracePlus doesnt have packets per second but it does have the amount of packets, so i can just divide that through the amount of seconds i recorded for.

Anyone have a favourite tool that can do what i need? :)

Xeno LARD
13-10-04, 12:55
Just use a packet sniffer and dump it into a text file. Submit that as your assignment and see if (s)he cares when she has to sift through hex (fun!).

kurai
13-10-04, 13:04
Ethereal (http://www.ethereal.com/)