PDA

View Full Version : I'm not happy...

naimex
13-10-04, 05:41
I´m officially god damn pissed off now..

I just finished watching a movie..

Within the last 2 hours I´ve had :

769 Attempted admin logons
2307 Successfull user logons
16 Full security grid scans
7 Nukes
51 Remote access attempts

and I don´t know what more, because they fried the firewall...

All I had left of my firewall was the log files, and the program..

settings, IP-blocks, scripts.. just torn apart.

Mailed 3 different access servers, that was listed as the routing point for the attack..

funnily enough all 3 sites are sites dedicated to finding and preventing security breaches and finding backdoors..

I find that somehow disturbing.

I´ve told them all to fix their security leak, and told them, the second I as much as see a shadow of their name in any of my files or logfiles again I will be calling it in as an abuse of the internet for an anti social end, and a violation of the citizen rights regarding privacy of data.

I´m just really worked up about it.. I feel like calling them in anyways.. but I´ll give them a chance.. no damage so far that I can´t fix in a few hours.. but I´m more worried about collateral damage.

Just had to get this crap out of my mind...

THE_TICK!!!!
13-10-04, 05:50
wow crappy naimex...sorry to hear that !! hmmm to bad there wasn't some way to send a virus back at em :P

naimex
13-10-04, 05:59
guess what I just found..

I updated windows last week..

guess whats on the windows update now :

Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer for Windows XP Service Pack 2 (KB834707)
Download size: 2.9 MB, 2 minutes
A security issue has been identified that could allow an attacker to compromise a computer running Internet Explorer and gain control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer. Details...

guess what im installing now...

Endar
13-10-04, 06:33
Hehee.

But seriously, you are not as happy as you used to be. During the past few months you have been getting more and more angry.

Blah, I need some coffee...

kurai
13-10-04, 08:19
guess what im installing now...Err ... if the system got that badly compromised you *are* killing it and re-starting with a fresh install and new passwords for everything potentially cached ... right ?

eLcHi
13-10-04, 08:29
Err ... if the system got that badly compromised you *are* killing it and re-starting with a fresh install and new passwords for everything potentially cached ... right ?

I sure hope so, you can`t be sure that a earlier backup is not compromised ...

Setup a new system, new passwords n stuff and just copy the important cfg`s from the backup ...

sebastien
13-10-04, 09:16
Is it just me or is Microsoft really inept when it comes to security?

Scikar
13-10-04, 10:59
There's also the fact that since the majority of users run Windows and Internet Explorer, and especially your average non-technical user who is less likely to spot a problem, Windows and IE become a big target. But yes, MS also suck at security.

Btw Naimex, for such a secure system, why are you using IE?

Nidhogg
13-10-04, 11:01
Thread moved.

N

spanz
13-10-04, 12:36
use Opera , simple

Blacksword
13-10-04, 23:05

Well im taking some networking classes atm, from teachers who prefer all different companys and os's. everyone of them doesnt have a big love for microsoft, but also everyone of them will be quick to point out that microsoft is the one that people love to hate. who wants to break linux every other day, no one cares, its free, and how many hundreds or thousands of people would jump to fix it also. quite a few. considering how many people try to break microsoft every day its a suprise people using thier stuff have them work most of the time instead of them blowing up in thier faces everyday.

Jesterthegreat
14-10-04, 00:04
damn... my PC is fucked, but i did most of it myself, still i feel for you mate

MrChumble
14-10-04, 00:19
IE isn't a problem if your PC is setup properly. Personally I go for total paranoia and run a hardware and software firewall :D

Jesterthegreat
14-10-04, 00:20
IE isn't a problem if your PC is setup properly. Personally I go for total paranoia and run a hardware and software firewall :D

i ran IE for long time. i use firefox now though.

NS_CHROME54
14-10-04, 01:15
and when more and more people are running firefox, i'm sure people will start finding lots of ways to wreak havoc with that too.

Jesterthegreat
14-10-04, 01:18
and when more and more people are running firefox, i'm sure people will start finding lots of ways to wreak havoc with that too.

people always try to ruin everything, but for now i use firefox regardless of idiots who try to ruin it :p

NS_CHROME54
14-10-04, 01:21
what really gets me are webbies who are always chanting how firefox has newer, better support features than IE. ffs i'm a full time web grunt, and I can tell you right now that firefox's ONLY display advantage is native PNG transparency support, and there are javascript workarounds for IE that work quite nicely. firefox has a good number of positioning and box model problems.

Jesterthegreat
14-10-04, 01:23
what really gets me are webbies who are always chanting how firefox has newer, better support features than IE. ffs i'm a full time web grunt, and I can tell you right now that firefox's ONLY display advantage is native PNG transparency support, and there are javascript workarounds for IE that work quite nicely. firefox has a good number of positioning and box model problems.

i just like having multiple pages in one window using the tab feature... i dont care about finer qualities... i may use the net alot and be an ICT installing and support / network / portable appliance techician, but i couldnt care less. i just want something i like to use :p

NS_CHROME54
14-10-04, 01:26
i just like having multiple pages in one window using the tab feature... i dont care about finer qualities... i may use the net alot and be an ICT installing and support / network / portable appliance techician, but i couldnt care less. i just want something i like to use :p

yeah you're right that is something MS needs to add to IE.

edit: tabbed browsing that is.

Jesterthegreat
14-10-04, 01:29
some pic links on forums come up as red 'X's in IE too (not this forum).

i would link but the contents are against this forums rules :p

*cough* a thread in the after hours forum on www.furious-angels.com *cough*

NS_CHROME54
14-10-04, 01:30
some pic links on forums come up as red 'X's in IE too (not this forum).

i would link but the contents are against this forums rules :p

*cough* a thread in the after hours forum on www.furious-angels.com *cough*

just remember, "it's not a bug, it's a feature"
;)

Jesterthegreat
14-10-04, 01:33
just remember, "it's not a bug, it's a feature"
;)

man... is this nid's non-mod account or something? :p

NS_CHROME54
14-10-04, 01:38
man... is this nid's non-mod account or something? :p
lol, nah. i may be kk's longest running fanboi, but i'm no mod even tho i should be...

btw i'm actually on a mac right now using Safari. really like it.

Jesterthegreat
14-10-04, 01:40
lol, nah. i may be kk's longest running fanboi, but i'm no mod even tho i should be...

btw i'm actually on a mac right now using Safari. really like it.

never heard of it :p

Lexxuk
14-10-04, 02:09
never heard of it :p

you've never heard of a mac? its like a zx spectrum +2a, only less powerful :lol:

I never did get my routers firewall working btw, just got NAT and a software firewall protecting me from the elements.

You can also download some free add on for IE that gives you tabbed browsing btw, and IE > * coz its just such a clean tidy design.

Jesterthegreat
14-10-04, 02:20
you've never heard of a mac? its like a zx spectrum +2a, only less powerful :lol:

I never did get my routers firewall working btw, just got NAT and a software firewall protecting me from the elements.

You can also download some free add on for IE that gives you tabbed browsing btw, and IE > * coz its just such a clean tidy design.

never heard of safari you nib :p

and i dont see much difference in design, if anything i prefer firefox