PDA

View Full Version : Glider information Thread

msdong
12-10-04, 23:49
ok, here are some infos about how to handle gliders.

i have done a few expiriments on the 2 cheap gliders. the scout and the advanced scout.

the scout gliders are very fragile at the moment and a collision with a building, antenna or hills nuke them instantly.

but if you stay clear of those things you can have some fun with them.

to start one of them you need a small bumb. best is you push the autowalk button and head to that bumb and push your mouse a little up on the top.
dont push to much because the glider may stall and may crash to the ground.
once you are airborne gain some high and test the steering. the glider turns best in large circles and dont try anything you seen in topgun at that stage.

now that we have done a few circles in the homezone we try to zone.
get on medium high and head towards the zoneline. before you zone make shure the glider nose is a little up.

with the glider nose up and autowalk on you gain instantly some high after zoning. so dont push it up to much.
to fly you need to look ahead. when you zone do it best on flat terrain. if you are in the mountains use canyons to zone. its to dangerous to fly over big hills. if nobody is after you fly around hills.

ok, maybe you manage to take a flight and dont crash anywhere. you found your way back and now you have to land.
as in any other flight simulator the landing is one of the hardest parts. look out for a flat surface. it dont need to be big. use the backwards key to break you glider and do down. dont it the ground to fast and make sure there is no bumb to take off again. once you hit ground push the forward key to turn off the autowalk.

dont - dont ever just move on the ground when u dont need. walk to the ASG to despawn your glider.

OK, it happen you break your glider. bad luck. but this is not the end.
take the key and make a Blueprint of it.
then search for a salvager with around 115 skill (i dont tested lower or higher) by salvaging i get a lot of parts back from the key. the scout need some more spare parts to rebuild them the advanced scout. but both only need parts worth ~5000c to rebuild. on that there comes a fee for the recycler and the resercher/constructer. you can get away with 7500c when you are in a clan you usually only need a recycler.

when u are a little skilled in using gliders there are a few cool stunts. you can fly real slow by pushing your nose up so your gunner can hit more acurate. breakin and turning makes you fly sharp turns. gliders are lots of fun, and nothing more at the moment. the new feature of adding combatrang to a pilot makes them a little more atractive but there is still the problem that u need to land to loot your pray.

good luck

§FS§Red Wing
13-10-04, 00:48
Not really about flying them but about loosing them : it may happen that your glider spawns in a hill or something and you can neither see nor dismiss it.
Sometimes it returns fine to the vehicle station after the usual time of being unused, sometimes however it doesn't.
It doesn't appear in the vehicle list anymore as if it was destroyed but that isn't always the case.
Just try reactivating the key, it brings them back every now and then.

msdong
15-10-04, 09:11
Dont fly J13 - if u need to only the north sector.

you crash in midair with no reason in the white zone.

Fenzy
31-10-04, 11:28
ok i was flying round a lot and have no problems with starting or landing.
Its a lot of fun but i have one problem.
I can t aim with the assault glider.
It s shooting straight and you have to fly directly aggainst te mob.
Very dangerous i think because with the high speed you crash offen
And you can shoot one or two rockets per flight and then you have to turn and start a new round.

When i was hunting mobs i stayed on the groung ans i was shooting over a long distance but this is not the sense of a glider O_o

Sry for my baaaad english :)

Agent L
13-02-05, 19:32
few tips from me :

- avoid flying over sharp pointy things like gogos and antennae, they like to have colisions much taller than visible geometry, so this is the source of feared "crashing into nothing".

- fly low to always have ground in sight. Loosing eye contact with ground usually ends up in dissorientation and stalling or flipping glider over. They instantly explode when flipped over.

- flying hoverbombers and hovercarriers is completly different then gliders.
You controll engines angle by moving mouse forward/backward, and turn engines on with "walk forward" button (auto walk works best). With engines pointed straight down, craft gains altitude, but horizontal speed is zero. Whith engines set to full forward (or backward) hover speed is maximal - but beware, there is no upforce like wings so you're basically falling down with top horizontal speed.
When looking almost straight forward (same position as right after entering vechicle) engines are in vertical position. Remeber this camera angle, coz it's basic position. It is enough to apply thrust to start vertically up. Start moving mouse backward/forward after you gain decent altitude. Remember to set engines to default, vertical position when something is going wrong - this will save craft from most hazards. To land deccelerate until full-stop and operate engines in short bursts to control fall.
Hovers are much easier to fly than gliders imo. Small speed gives plenty of time to react and can't deal much damage in case of impact. Ability to stop mid-air is enough to avoid most problems. I've never exeprienced any big tilts, so you always know up/down direction.
Just never look down (nor up), always ahead.

Archa Ic
27-03-05, 03:16
Erm.

I was flying the Advanced assauly glider the other day, took off at desert race track. And here is what i realize... When i switch zones, a no end syncronizing. Did that 5 times, could not zone!

Is this a known bug or is it just me?

Jesterthegreat
27-03-05, 10:48
if you drug into a vech and zone after drug runs this will happen

Skusty
27-03-05, 23:31
if you drug into a vech and zone after drug runs this will happen
Drug up, get in, wait for flash to go over and off you go :lol:

Jesterthegreat
28-03-05, 00:04
Drug up, get in, wait for flash to go over and off you go :lol:

no... then you dont meet the req's when you zone.

thats what i mean. if the drugs active alls fine, if it runs dont zone.

sorry if it was unclear

Bugs Gunny
28-03-05, 02:06
Drugs gone... zone.... end up in middle of zone, ususaly killed by mobs. Vehicle gone for a few hours or destroyed.

Jesterthegreat
28-03-05, 13:50
if your lucky :p

if your unlucky - perma sync... perma sync... perma sync... spawn in the air, get introduced to fall damage as you land next to a pile of pipes which used to be your glider