PDA

View Full Version : Scanners

Dribble Joy
12-10-04, 13:36
Ok; my scanner is fucked, I have unistalled, deleted, reinstalled and swaped about USB ports till I am blue in the face but I cannot get it to work, I still get a sodding TWAIN driver error and the comp doesn't recognise it's there.

Any last advice before I buy a new one, and any recomendations on that?

Xeno LARD
12-10-04, 13:40
Tried a generic driver, or if you have; a specific driver?

Dribble Joy
12-10-04, 13:44
I'm am using (trying) the manufacturers own drivers.

Xeno LARD
12-10-04, 13:47
Try looking on driverguide.com (temp/512 username/pass) for one. Did it work under 98, and you've upgraded to XP or something? I had "fun" getting a scanner that came with a friends Tiny PC to work when I upgraded to XP.

He bought a new one :(.

Dribble Joy
12-10-04, 13:56
Been working for ages, then it ust decided not to for some reason.

Running win2k, have been for years.

//edit:
Oh, and it's a USB scanner.

Chiefy
12-10-04, 14:19
I assumed you've check the power supply is still working ok :p

Are your other usb devices working ok? If not, re-install the usb drivers.

Is there an option for using a parallel interface at all? If there is, try using that.

If you have access to someone else computer, try install it on thier machine, if it works, its your computer, if not, the scanner is up the river.

Chiefy

Dribble Joy
12-10-04, 14:26
My keyboard is USB and that works fine.
Driverguide.com doesn't have the drivers for my scanner, just a link to the site where I DLed the drivers I am using atm.

Jesterthegreat
12-10-04, 14:29
when did this happen? did you install a printer or something (sometimes scanners can get confused and set themselves to a different post when conflicting software is installed, it may be set to a lpt port?)

i would say remove other USB devices but unless you have a spare non-usb keyboard that could be too much hassle...

try unplugging your printer (f you have one) and keyboard (if possible) and check in the scanner properties to make sure its still set to USB

Cor
12-10-04, 14:36
Scanner!!! What the hell you talking about a scanner here for?? :confused: Day 16 still no game play in NC2. :(

Dribble Joy
12-10-04, 14:37
I didn't do anything, it just froze up when scanning one day and refuses to work again.
No printer, nothing new on my comp for ages, and anything that I have put on in the past hasn't caused a problem.
It was a birthday present a year ago, not the greatest and most flexible of scanners in the world, the settings are basic and have virtually nothing to do with connection/ports/etc.

Jesterthegreat
12-10-04, 14:42
I didn't do anything, it just froze up when scanning one day and refuses to work again.
No printer, nothing new on my comp for ages, and anything that I have put on in the past hasn't caused a problem.
It was a birthday present a year ago, not the greatest and most flexible of scanners in the world, the settings are basic and have virtually nothing to do with connection/ports/etc.

i havent fiddled with a scanner in ages... can you get to anything other than the driver details in device manager?

Dribble Joy
12-10-04, 14:54
All I see in device manager is an unknown USB device.

Jesterthegreat
12-10-04, 14:56
All I see in device manager is an unknown USB device.

extremely bad news then...

upgrade the drivers for the unknown device to the scanner drivers. try to force it to use the correct drivers.

actually before you do that have you used the add hardware wizard to see if it fixes itself?

Dribble Joy
12-10-04, 14:58
actually before you do that have you used the add hardware wizard to see if it fixes itself?
Yes, it finds nothing.

Jesterthegreat
12-10-04, 14:59
Yes, it finds nothing.

hmm... try forcing it to use the correct drivers then.

do you have a driver file or a setup file (a physical driver or a program which installs the driver)

i hate the setp files, means you have to manually find where its installed the driver if theres a problem :(

Dribble Joy
12-10-04, 15:09
Forced it to use the drivers that the manufacturer supplies, but I still get the same error message.

Jesterthegreat
12-10-04, 15:35
does it still say unknown device in device manager?

Dribble Joy
12-10-04, 15:37
No, it comes under imaging devices atm.

Jesterthegreat
12-10-04, 15:39
well at least it accepted the drivers...

if it runs on USB i assume it draws power via USB too (as apposed to a power supply). does the scanner have power or is even that not working?

Dribble Joy
12-10-04, 15:40
It's getting power.

Jesterthegreat
12-10-04, 15:42
It's getting power.

was it getting power before you manually set the drivers?

:Edit: afk while i find lunch :p

Dribble Joy
12-10-04, 15:42
Yes, allways has.

Jesterthegreat
12-10-04, 15:57
dunno then

stupid technology :p

Chiefy
12-10-04, 16:38
DJ, like I said, have you access to another computer with USB ports at all? Before you do go and trash it, try installing it on someone elses computer to try and replicate the problem. As I said, if it works one someone elses, then it's a problem with your computer.

Also, when you look in the hardware wizard (at least I assume that win2k has one :D ), if you right click on the scanner, and select properties, has is been assigned an IRQ? Or are there any error messages there at all??

Chiefy

12-10-04, 16:51
Use device manager to uninstall the scanner, reboot, find all the files that are either called twain*.* or are in the twain or twain32 folder(s) and either back them up somewhere or rename them (add .bak on the end of the existing extension or something) reboot again and then re attach the scanner.

See if it then works and if it still doesnt, compare the twain files you now have on your system with the ones you did have, then you can either try reinstating the backup files and see what happens or try and locate another copy of the missing files (probably on the Win2K CD) and put those back instead

Having said all that, trying the scanner on another machine is a quicker way to work out of the thing is working at all!