PDA

View Full Version : Should I upgrade to NC2?

Sheba
11-10-04, 23:41
Been paying for NC1 and even tried NC2 beta, have to admit I did not play it enough to get a decent impression.
So for those of you that are paying for NC2 is it worth it?
From what I hear its 20$ US to upgrade..but hate to do that and pay a monthly fee for a account I will only end up deleting.
Any thoughts?

Vid Gamer
11-10-04, 23:43
There's no point sticking with NC1 since no one plays that, so it's either NC2 or nothing, and so far NC2 is not worth it.

MrChumble
11-10-04, 23:54
If you liked NC1 you'll like NC2. If you were bored of NC1 there might be some content you enjoy in NC2, but it's not guaranteed.

I'd sign up for a few months just to see how it turns out anyway, so far NC2 is pretty decent despite the same old design flaws and bugs that NC1 had.

Sorry for the mixed messages, but it's hard to come down on either side of the argument. Some stuff is much improved, some stuff that didn't need changing has been changed, new content is good, old bugs are bad, class balance is still whack and the netcode still blows. Models are shiny and new.

Try it and see basically :D

-FN-
12-10-04, 00:29
My opinion: Upgrade when Item Tracking and NPC Playershops are implemented.

Without Item Tracking, you're taking your chances on item loss.

Without NPC Playershops, the economy is somewhat rough right now. FSMs with an Empire vs Empire system makes it a bit complicated. When players can front items for their faction, things will really start evolving.

Other than that, MrChumble's pretty much got it.

Vid Gamer
12-10-04, 00:34
I'd also wait until they sort out switching between Pro and Anti City Factions. Right now, the only way to do it is to kill your own kind and lose SL and then becoming Factionless and avoiding CopBots and players while trying to change Factions in NC/DoY. :rolleyes:

Also, make sure you have what you want in your QB. I made the mistake of transferring without looking, and I brought over like 5 spells and 3 drugs in my QB. Lost a lot of good shit like 5 slot HC rares, melee rares, and other things that would take months to get in NC2.

I should have also switched to Pro City before the transfer, then again I thought they would have some sensible system up for switching. :rolleyes:

Sheba
12-10-04, 04:52
Not really worried about transfering my existing character as she's kinda lame anyway. Wanted a jack of all trades ended up with a jack that just sucks! ;)
It's too bad that they are having major issues with this release would have been nice to see a somewhat bug free live date for a change. Oh well I can dream..Guess for now I may pop in now and then and play with the other 6 players on NC1 classic pluto. Thanks for the info guys.

IceStorm
12-10-04, 05:10
I'd also wait until they sort out switching between Pro and Anti City Factions. Right now, the only way to do it is to kill your own kind and lose SL and then becoming Factionless and avoiding CopBots and players while trying to change Factions in NC/DoY.Is there a problem with going from City to CM to DoY? CM's neutral to all but TG. To raise CM symp all you have to do is missions (or kill TG if your CM symp is too low).

I wouldn't expect them to change anything. They wanted to make faction-hopping more difficult in NC2.

Vid Gamer
12-10-04, 05:57
Is there a problem with going from City to CM to DoY? CM's neutral to all but TG. To raise CM symp all you have to do is missions (or kill TG if your CM symp is too low).

I wouldn't expect them to change anything. They wanted to make faction-hopping more difficult in NC2.

There's supposed to be a sort of mission system where you can change from Pro to Anti and vice versa but I heard it was broke/not implemented (what else is new).

It wouldn't be so bad if they didn't erase all the Epic items. If I wanted to go CM then BioTech/PP and back again, that costs a shitload of Credits, something I don't have, atm.

Birkoff
12-10-04, 06:06
If your a droner... don't bother there bugged to shit and it doesn't seem like KK care.
If your a monk you will dance around like a moron and get pissed ot can't cast spell b/c of it but hey.
If your expecting beta 4 bugs fixed don't keep your hopes up, ther all still there.

NC2 has a few more places and there epics are implemented, thoguh most of them are bugged.

Bronx
12-10-04, 09:01
NO its NOT worth it.

IceStorm
12-10-04, 09:10
If you want to play Neocron as a player, one who hunts, PvPs, and in general has things handed to them on a guide, then no, it's not worth upgrading yet.

If you want to explore where things are, build up faction sympathy, examine Hacknet, and in general get a feel for NC2 and help write those guides that the masses will use later, then it's worth playing.

I have a small army that I need to gain Faction Sympathy on and get leveled to a halfway decent level for bartering duties (12 alts, 4 mains). For me it's worth it to be in NC2 instead of playing NC1.

It's fairly obvious that NC2 was pushed out the door "early". I expect that the only people left in the next few weeks will be the ones who want to scope out the changes to the fullest.

MrChumble
12-10-04, 09:17
It's fairly obvious that NC2 was pushed out the door "early". I expect that the only people left in the next few weeks will be the ones who want to scope out the changes to the fullest.
I just want to point out here (again) that server populations are growing, not falling.

IceStorm
12-10-04, 09:21
I just want to point out here (again) that server populations are growing, not falling.First, the only people who track that are KK themselves. I know of no one who is trending server populations over time. For the hours that I play, I see the same if not less people now than two weeks ago, not more. I saw single-digit percentages several times last week, indicating that Terra is dropping into the sub-100 range fairly often.

The reason I say "a few weeks" is because people who want to play have most likely just gotten their C2P issues straightened out. Now everyone's on their free month. Once that expires, that will be the real indicator of server populations.

I'm also only looking at Terra. I'm not paying attention to any of the other servers.

Vid Gamer
12-10-04, 09:36
It's fairly obvious that NC2 was pushed out the door "early".

Considering "DoY" was in development for two years, this is a sad statement...

kurai
12-10-04, 09:42
Considering "DoY" was in development for two years, this is a sad statement...Hrmmm.

I get a feeling that a lot of this two year `development` consisted of "wouldn't it be cool if one day we worked out how to do ..." conversations over coffee and berliners.

Looking at the state the betas and `new content` arrived in it's fairly apparent precious little actual project planning or coding went on.

Jesterthegreat
12-10-04, 11:36
There's no point sticking with NC1 since no one plays that, so it's either NC2 or nothing, and so far NC2 is not worth it.

agreed

Jesterthegreat
12-10-04, 11:39
Hrmmm.

I get a feeling that a lot of this two year `development` consisted of "wouldn't it be cool if one day we worked out how to do ..." conversations over coffee and berliners.

Looking at the state the betas and `new content` arrived in it's fairly apparent precious little actual project planning or coding went on.

actually i think you will find KK claimed it was all ready for some time, but they were "searching for a publisher"...

IE not bothering to improve it

:edit: shit i keep forgetting to edit :angel:

IceStorm
12-10-04, 11:54
I have no doubt the Doy Maps were finished before searching fo a publisher. I would wager the radical item distribution changes and Hacknet were not, though.

Jesterthegreat
12-10-04, 11:59
I have no doubt the Doy Maps were finished before searching fo a publisher. I would wager the radical item distribution changes and Hacknet were not, though.

neither seem finished now, let alone then O_o

ridec
12-10-04, 12:18
When you take 10-days trial, you still have to pay to upgrade from NC1 ?!!
If not, then take the 10-days trial and see if you like the game, 10 days is of course not enough, but my oppinion try it!

solling
12-10-04, 12:21
I'd also wait until they sort out switching between Pro and Anti City Factions. Right now, the only way to do it is to kill your own kind and lose SL and then becoming Factionless and avoiding CopBots and players while trying to change Factions in NC/DoY

erm i think this is a good thing i was so godamn tired of peops in nc1 being city one week anti city next week switch again then again then again was way to easy

now its hard and i like it

ridec
12-10-04, 12:24
erm i think this is a good thing i was so godamn tired of peops in nc1 being city one week anti city next week switch again then again then again was way to easy

I agree with solling, but the only reason i think people wants to change factions is mostly because of epics, and that's a bit "shitty", but live with it or leave it? :)

mishkin
12-10-04, 12:24
My opinion: NC2 isn't worth the electric impulses that are required to store the game-data... The community in-game is a totally different one than the one here on the forums... So no, don't upgrade :rolleyes:

IceStorm
12-10-04, 12:39
neither seem finished now, let alone then I haven't been in DoY much, but the several sectors I've passed through seem to be quite finished. When I say maps, I mean the locations, not their NPCs.

Jesterthegreat
12-10-04, 13:58
I haven't been in DoY much, but the several sectors I've passed through seem to be quite finished. When I say maps, I mean the locations, not their NPCs.

the "neither" was hacknet / item dist system, which you said you doubted were finished ages ago. i pointed out they still dont seem to be :p

Vid Gamer
12-10-04, 18:41

I agree, but the fact that KK wiped the Epic items is making everyone want to switch here and there for certain items, so they should have some type of system up where it takes a while, but in the end you will switch.

If they didn't wipe Epics, then it'd be fine.

Vid Gamer
12-10-04, 18:42
I haven't been in DoY much, but the several sectors I've passed through seem to be quite finished. When I say maps, I mean the locations, not their NPCs.

IMO, DoY is pretty cool.

It is a total different atmosphere than NC and it's pretty damn big (abeit a little too confusing at first) so they got the job done there, but some things are missing, like all the clubs are blocked off and certain areas don't have anything in it.